Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,170,499 Views | 232066 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
joekm3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
U opened at $36.46 yesterday and closed at $37.78. Is $36.50 stop realistic. I'm learning so just trying to understand.
Philip J Fry
AG
Looking at the ATR should give you some insight into how low to set the stop loss along with support lines.
lobwedgephil
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Best thing I would say on options….

Be ok with losing all the money you spent on it and know that going in. But also know that capital preservation is key to options.

Don't be afraid to cut losses quickly at certain defined amounts (i.e 25% loss, etc).

Do not get greedy. Take the profit when it runs. It can quickly go sideways in the matter of minutes.

I seriously never drop more than $500 on options unless it's a leap on a long term position I want. AMD is probably one of the ones I'd classify that with. But give yourself enough time to let it work.
Agreed about cutting losses quickly on options, disagree about 25% or whatever number you pick, that is a meaningless number, only meaningful to you and not the market. You need to set your stop above/below support/resistance, if your stop is too far from that, don't take the trade.

Zero point trading options and having a set stop amount. If you have a certain amount you want to risk, you need to wait for trades to give you the proper setup where you only have to risk the amount you are comfortable with.

Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
lobwedgephil said:

Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Best thing I would say on options….

Be ok with losing all the money you spent on it and know that going in. But also know that capital preservation is key to options.

Don't be afraid to cut losses quickly at certain defined amounts (i.e 25% loss, etc).

Do not get greedy. Take the profit when it runs. It can quickly go sideways in the matter of minutes.

I seriously never drop more than $500 on options unless it's a leap on a long term position I want. AMD is probably one of the ones I'd classify that with. But give yourself enough time to let it work.
Agreed about cutting losses quickly on options, disagree about 25% or whatever number you pick, that is a meaningless number, only meaningful to you and not the market. You need to set your stop above/below support/resistance, if your stop is too far from that, don't take the trade.

Zero point trading options and having a set stop amount. If you have a certain amount you want to risk, you need to wait for trades to give you the proper setup where you only have to risk the amount you are comfortable with.

I was referencing the 25% as a self established threshold but I agree. You need to learn to calculate the intrinsic value of options and the time value to work through where you are comfortable.
Heineken-Ashi
$36.15 sorry. Recent low, or just below it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
bmoochie said:

I believe BA is ripe to short when they music stops. It's on an absolute tear since late October. It's pushing up against resistance now, one more level to $259 and change. If we get in the mid $250s I am looking 2-3 months out at $210 puts.

Man i followed you on this and am about to miss out bigtime. On 12/15 i got 3/15 220p for 1.8 and took profits 12/22 and 1/2 for 2.25 and 2.2.
Those babies are going to bank tomorrow
bmoochie
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

bmoochie said:

I believe BA is ripe to short when they music stops. It's on an absolute tear since late October. It's pushing up against resistance now, one more level to $259 and change. If we get in the mid $250s I am looking 2-3 months out at $210 puts.

Man i followed you on this and am about to miss out bigtime. On 12/15 i got 3/15 220p for 1.8 and took profits 12/22 and 1/2 for 2.25 and 2.2.
I sold for Profit also on Wednesday. Thought about holding one netfree but wanted to start the year good and book a solid win. I am curious to see how it will open, may still get a chance to enter.
Philip J Fry
AG
A few plays I'm looking at:

AIT: In an upward channel and nearly a line of consistent support. SMA50 has been an area of support well. May soon be in a position for a reversal.

APP Nearing the low end of the channel. Zooming out to the weekly looks like like consolidation to me. More room for upside if it breaks through.

SA:Nearing the low end of the channel.

NEON: If you are a real degenerate, then NEON might be a good one to throw a small amount torwards. Very volatile with lots of gaps above it. Looks like it's in a consolidation phase to me. Alternatively, I've looked at their financials and they have tanked for a reason. That said a 5x increase in stock price has happened several timea already with this thing when looking at the weeklies:

EDIT:
UTRS: Am I seeing this right? It's currently has a short % of float of 92% !? Isn't that extraordinarily high?

bmoochie
AG
Nope. Bye bye Boeing
cryption
bmoochie said:

Nope. Bye bye Boeing
Perhaps a good buying opportunity in the near future? Lots of politicians are holding BA stock - it won't stay down.
Heineken-Ashi
cryption said:

bmoochie said:

Nope. Bye bye Boeing
Perhaps a good buying opportunity in the near future? Lots of politicians are holding BA stock - it won't stay down.
Draw channel on recent lows and highs. Looks like it's coming down to $200 or less.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
UNFI below $15.
El_duderino
UNFI just getting beat down at the open.

SMCI with a giant pop up 5%
gougler08
AG
Think I'll enter UNFI and WHD today on these drops, my stops will mirror what Heineken has in his posts
cryption
Heineken-Ashi said:

cryption said:

bmoochie said:

Nope. Bye bye Boeing
Draw channel on recent lows and highs. Looks like it's coming down to $200 or less.

Seems like a good buying opportunity before govt money comes flooding in or something to prop it back up. Congress won't take a loss on their shares
Heineken-Ashi
El_duderino said:

UNFI just getting beat down at the open.

SMCI with a giant pop up 5%
Coming into the low risk buy zone.

I'm attempting to sell $15 Feb puts for $0.90 which is either 6% return on risk or I get my shares just above the stop.
Heineken-Ashi
cryption said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

cryption said:

bmoochie said:

Nope. Bye bye Boeing

Seems like a good buying opportunity before govt money comes flooding in or something to prop it back up. Congress won't take a loss on their shares
You mean like the $1.5T spending bill they just passed?
Heineken-Ashi
I'm actually wondering if WHD might try to gap fill the mid $37's. It filled it quickly in June intraday but daily candles still has it open. If oil is coming lower as I've been expecting, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm going to wait a bit and see what happens over the coming 1-2 weeks. Today gapped down with the 8 EMA crossing below the 34 which is never a good sign for anything.
Philip J Fry
AG
WHD is driven by natural gas prices right?
Heineken-Ashi
Philip J Fry said:

WHD is driven by natural gas prices right?
Oil and gas. Pressure control for wellheads and pipe transport
fightintxag13
AG
I went ahead and sold a NOV Jan $20 put for $.55 this morning hoping to get an entry there at net $19.45 or collect my premium and continue waiting for another entry.
El_duderino
Yeah I took a little more risk at a higher zone. Risk/reward is worth it though in my eyes.

Looks like AMD announced desktop AI processors this morning which explains the pop.
Heineken-Ashi
If XOP breaks below the recent bottom, I'll be watching the low to mid $120's for a buy with target $180-$220 over the next year or so. Like many Oil charts, it's potentially flagging with the rising lower end of the channel coming in at that range.

I think I might need to do a deeper dive into the energy sector. So many charts looking promising for the future with entries getting closer and closer. Would be wise to identify the highest potentials.
tremble
AG
Would love to see this.
fightintxag13
AG
U has bounced nicely from its slight red opening. I was able to grab some shares at $37.50 this morning and I went full size position because it was so close to the stop level.

Thanks for all the recs posted here Heineken!!
gougler08
AG
Entered in WHD and copied Heineken's idea about selling puts on UNFI
joekm3
AG
Went 1/2 position on U at $37.72. Holding for now.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
bmoochie said:

bmoochie said:

I sold for Profit also on Wednesday. Thought about holding one netfree but wanted to start the year good and book a solid win. I am curious to see how it will open, may still get a chance to enter.

$21. Ouch.
bmoochie
AG
yup. Major kick in the nuts there! would have been a monster start to the year.
Philip J Fry
AG
Should have jumped harder at SMCI. Clearly, it was showing signs of reversal
EnronAg
AG
alright folks, call your shot...when does S&P hit ATH?

I'm saying CPI day this Thursday...it will come in 0.1 cooler than whisper, just like it has almost every time this year...and market goes nuts to new ATH...
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
November
gougler08
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Should have jumped harder at SMCI. Clearly, it was showing signs of reversal
Still in the box/channel so you may get a chance to re-enter again
ravingfans
AG

November

perhaps Nov 5th? just a random date to pick out of the air?
EnronAg
AG

November
my theory is that is when the rug is pulled...if SPX is above 5,200 come November like Tom Lee and the bulls are touting, I will load up on SQQQ at what will be pennies by then...the market will break just like Dems break everything at the beginning of their 4 year terms...then they slowly build it back up over 4 years and say "see what we did fixing everything"...R's ain't winning this election...D's sweep, then market crashes...
First Page Last Page
Page 6266 of 6631

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.