Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,955,153 Views | 227828 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by ProgN
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Here we go. Here are my top 16 stocks for the year. The code spits out the top 20, but I removed 4 because of huge gap ups that skewed the result.

Here we have the number of stocks trading above the 120 EMA for the past 100 days. Sure looks like a leg down is coming based on how 2022 went.

Weekly Plays:
PSN. Target Price =~50 for +12%

RYTM: Shows up in my top 16 chart. Looks like it's bouncing off lows. Targeting ~$33 for +17%

For those natural gas lovers, here's 25 years of monthly performance broken out by monthly averages. Lesson here is to buy in at the end of January, sell in Sept?.

I bought a couple shares of rytm this morning
confucius_ag
AG
perma Brew doomster said:

confucius_ag said:

PLTR leaps for 2024 and 2025 are green. Getting tempting to sell here.
hope you held some!
Unfortunately I sold them all.

The more I looked at earnings report the more I thought I will have another crack at it.

Profit is profit.
confucius_ag
AG
confucius_ag said:

confucius_ag said:

hope you held some!
Unfortunately I sold them all.

The more I looked at earnings report the more I thought I will have another crack at it.

Profit is profit.
And I still have a nice core holding of shares.
AgEng06
AG
Our old friend MGNI has been moving a little the past month or so. I'm still holding a few net free shares from all the past fun.

Is today's run due to TTD's earnings? Any long-term outlooks for MGNI?
wanderer
It's had a nice move up the last few months, but have to think that today's move specifically is in sympathy with strong TTD earnings. MGNI reports 2/22
FTAG 2000
AG
AgEng06 said:

Our old friend MGNI has been moving a little the past month or so. I'm still holding a few net free shares from all the past fun.

Is today's run due to TTD's earnings? Any long-term outlooks for MGNI?
It's move and the spike today track largely with TTD.
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, I agree. Since my shares are net-free (and then some) I'm tempted to just hold them for some huge run to Valhalla, if that ever occurs...
Boy Named Sue
AG
Help a noob out. I bought some Friday XOM calls to play with, and set a stop loss and modest profit exit because I needed to focus on work for a few hours. Just checked, and even though the price dipped below my stop loss I'm still holding most of the contracts. Looking at the chart now, I chose my stop loss well and am encouraged by that.

But I can't figure out why it didn't trigger a sale on all the contracts I had. Did it drop too fast, such that only a few sold? What's a good way to prevent that from happening? I can't sit and watch the chart constantly.

Regardless, now I'm sitting on Friday calls that are down 50%. So I guess I'll be praying for a recovery over the next 48 hours so I don't lose it all.

Thankfully it's still just play money to learn with, I just don't want to waste this learning opportunity.
sts7049
AG
first advice I'd give is learn to cut a loss and not hold just hoping for a recovery. move on, losing 50% is better than losing 80 or 90 or 100%.
GreasenUSA
AG
I'd suggest immediately contacting your broker. Have proof of your orders, if you need to. But they should be able to see all that. If it was a legit order that was ignored, and they don't make it right, get a new broker.
Boy Named Sue
AG
sts7049 said:

first advice I'd give is learn to cut a loss and not hold just hoping for a recovery. move on, losing 50% is better than losing 80 or 90 or 100%.
Yeah, I'm just trying to time an exit now that they recovered a little. Basically pretending I just bought in and setting new stops so I don't lose more. Again, just trying to learn.

Funny thing is I wasn't being greedy, which is what usually gets me. I set profit exit for 9/10 of the contracts at 11%, and stop loss at -15%. I thought I'd log back in and be disappointed that I sold too soon lol
Copa515
AG
Did you set your stop and limit at the same price? May have jumped right passed it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Stops on options are tough. If you had a stop loss with a limit order, your limit may have been too high and never filled. I usually set mine up as market sell when last (not bid or ask) is below a certain price. On high liquidity stuff b/a might be ok but lower liquidity option chains can be manipulated too easily
oldarmy1
AG
oldarmy1 said:

confucius_ag said:

I wouldn't. The chart shows a clear long term trend pivot. Earnings beat/guidance raised. $11.62 is what I have for first sells.
I just sold 20% as a disciplined sell of LEAPS up well over 100%. This is a major breakout signal on PLTR and if it can reach $14.30 area the short covering could send it ballistic. Regardless, this action confirms the pivot spoken to last week, and I see it moving well up on trend to $20.
oldarmy1
AG
wanderer said:

What am I missing? How is OA coming up with 52.21 for model-T on CPRI?

You have multiple Model T trades with the macro Model T. The easiest money is those, while the larger one might eventually fill, when trading options I want the easy ones. Also, I would note that the full range Model T is above that gapped down orange candle high. You would be selling into the orange candle high verses the Model T number, as resistance would be naturally expected there. Hope that helps.

oldarmy1
AG
wanderer
Thanks for the reply OA. I guess the bigger problem is how/why my candles are different. More specifically, my big red cap down candle shows a high of 53 but yours shows 57.02. I'm guess my candle settings are different to only show trading hour ranges where maybe yours is different??

oldarmy1
AG
Yes, I chart all trading hours.

BTW - anyone who followed on the PLUG $0.65 I am slowly trimming 50% here as it approaches Model T. Slow selling won't scare the build buyers into MT. See over 500 bidding $1.09?

wanderer
Thanks OA, makes sense.

I've done some googling and have come up empty-handed on if/how it can be done in ToS. Any ToS users chime in?
oldarmy1
AG
Out of 50% of $PLUG.....yes thats my print.
oldarmy1
AG
Out of 90% of PLUG trade - FYI
$1.20 avg fill. 10% runner for cup completion possibility.
gougler08
AG
Just got to the airport and opened up my accounts and woah some of these have gone nuts today. UPST, TTD, MGNI, SFIX, SHOP, ROKU and others up 10%+, but then I see QQQ is basically flat. Was this all driven by TTD news or did I just get lucky on a bunch of various earnings
GreasenUSA
AG
gougler08 said:

Just got to the airport and opened up my accounts and woah some of these have gone nuts today. UPST, TTD, MGNI, SFIX, SHOP, ROKU and others up 10%+, but then I see QQQ is basically flat. Was this all driven by TTD news or did I just get lucky on a bunch of various earnings
Most of the heavyweights in tech opened the day with a gap down, but have been steadily climbing since mid morning.
Brewmaster
AG
oldarmy1 said:

oldarmy1 said:

confucius_ag said:

I wouldn't. The chart shows a clear long term trend pivot. Earnings beat/guidance raised. $11.62 is what I have for first sells.
I just sold 20% as a disciplined sell of LEAPS up well over 100%. This is a major breakout signal on PLTR and if it can reach $14.30 area the short covering could send it ballistic. Regardless, this action confirms the pivot spoken to last week, and I see it moving well up on trend to $20.
The man agrees! I'm learning something. I'm not in leaps, but I know a pro who still is (in addition to OA). I'm long plenty of shares though. (plenty for my minnow account!).
Brewmaster
AG
gougler08 said:

lots of small names running wild. PLTR, FUBO, MARA etc
gougler08
AG

gougler08 said:

lots of small names running wild. PLTR, FUBO, MARA etc
Stonks only go up
Pepper Brooks
AG
BTC/USD is up nearly 7% re: MARA
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Charismatic Megafauna said:

Why do i always talk myself out of shorting cvna every time it has a +10% day?

Grabbed a couple friday 10.5 puts for .4

You can get 11s for .3 now, if anyone wants lottos
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Boy Named Sue said:

Help a noob out. I bought some Friday XOM calls to play with, and set a stop loss and modest profit exit because I needed to focus on work for a few hours. Just checked, and even though the price dipped below my stop loss I'm still holding most of the contracts. Looking at the chart now, I chose my stop loss well and am encouraged by that.

But I can't figure out why it didn't trigger a sale on all the contracts I had. Did it drop too fast, such that only a few sold? What's a good way to prevent that from happening? I can't sit and watch the chart constantly.

Regardless, now I'm sitting on Friday calls that are down 50%. So I guess I'll be praying for a recovery over the next 48 hours so I don't lose it all.

Thankfully it's still just play money to learn with, I just don't want to waste this learning opportunity.
I don't know what you have outside of Calls expiring on 2/17. This is not advice, but if you are worried about losing your ass, you might consider this. Dividend pay date is 3/10/2023. XOM share price usually runs a little after Pay Date, because 60% of the shares are held by institutions and a large percentage are held by retirees, who are in dividend reinvestment program and a lot of shares get purchased to pay out. You might consider rolling to 3/17/2023 Calls and see how it works out for exiting those Calls on Monday 3/13 or Tuesday 3/14. Others may have different opinions.
FTAG 2000
AG
This **** feels out of control. The economy and jobs market is ass. And we're going nuts since CPI.

VIX coming into 52 week low.
FTAG 2000
AG
TTD with your casual 30% post-earnings release day.
ProgN
gougler08 said:

Stonks only go up

Shut it down, everybody go home, Gougs just ****ed up the party for everyone.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
This is literally the worst I've felt about trading while having a Green Day. Yuck.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Boy Named Sue
AG
Thanks Farmer, good thoughts. I'm actually in the green now on those, thank goodness
gougler08
AG
ProgN said:

gougler08 said:

Stonks only go up

Shut it down, everybody go home, Gougs just ****ed up the party for everyone.
Haha just wanted us to relive the glory days for a bit!
First Page Last Page
Page 5987 of 6510

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.