Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,023,652 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ProgN
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely not related to west coast governing policies….

Add a ton of regulations and environmental requirements and then blame O&G for high prices.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
This is for SF

59 South
AG

irish pete ag06
AG
Dammit.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG

Going to share my thoughts on a couple of things to try to help some of you. I would like to see more on here "make the jump" or at the very least stop making the same mistakes. There are books devoted to these topics, I'm going to try to distill it into a post.

Risk management

Risk management is all encompassing and is the bed rock of being successful. This is applicable on every time frame with any risk asset. Also kind of applicable to life in general. Being wrong often is simply a part of this game. It is possible to make mistakes that have outsized impact backwards when this happens if your risk management is poor. In my opinion, there are a couple of key aspects to risk management

1) bias / ego / unwillingness to be wrong
2) position size
3) lack of plan
4) when you trade and frequency of trades
5) stop management
6) your own readiness

Bias - this is the cardinal behavior that drives everything else. When you have a big ego or aren't willing to be wrong, you will double down, size up, move stops / not have stops. Sometimes you will risk so big that you can't afford to be wrong. Sometimes you'll get mad and you'll want to prove to the market / yourself / your inner child that you are right. I do not think this can be completely mastered, we're not robots, but I think you have to have a VERY good grip on this and a process to avoid this. P.s. as soon as you think you're wrong, you probably are.

Position size - position size for long options that can expire worthless should always be "X" or less than X. No exceptions. Size should also be determined based upon time horizon. If you're trading weeklies, 2-3% at the most, likely with a 50% stop loss, so no more than 1.5% risk. You can overcome 5-10 of these mistakes and live to trade another day. Swings can be 5-10%, likely with tighter risk. For stocks, if they're small caps, I'd probably go max 20% of port size with tight stop management. Leveraged ETFs should be small and/or have tight risk management. For quality companies or indexes, I personally think it's OK to full port as long as you're accepting the risk! I feel this way because the asset will not go to zero and there are ways to defend. There are worse things than buying AAPL or XOM

Lack of plan - I believe many of you are guilty of this. You have to know in advance what you think might happen, what will confirm that you should try it, when or under what conditions you want to enter, and when you want to exit, good or bad. The plan is different for the time horizon. Many of you all see me trade 0 DTE. I take profits (and losses) quickly and my entries other than quick scalps are planned during pre-market. I am OK with it going to zero every time. Do not be a trader that says "this setup looks great, I'm going to get in and see what happens". Sometimes the market can surprise you in your favor, and you may get more than you planned, but on the downside, you will always get out when you say you will. You MUST know in advance what your stop will be. It can be low of day, it can be loss of momentum, loss an EMA, etc. Most good trades work almost immediately. Having a plan also prevents FOMO. FOMO is almost always a result of not having a plan and by the time you're FOMO'ing, so is everyone else and then buying or selling stops.

When you trade / frequency - There are better times and worse times to be swinging the bat. For intra-day, 11AM to 1PM central time should generally be a no-go for adding new positions. You should manage positions you already have on, but this is when the market generally traps, chops, and burns premium. The exceptions are post events and when there is volatility / volume, including certain types of trend days, normally to the downside. If you must trade intra-day or want to scalp, small size with clear tight stops and tight profit targets. Remember that the market behaves in only two ways: 1) trending and 2) consolidation. As long as you're not failing to recognize the trend (see #1 above), trend days are the highest probability times to trade assuming you avoid stupid FOMO on peaks. Consolidation always comes after trend days and for me one of the most difficult times to trade is in the inevitable chop after a trade becomes obvious, is crowded, and has a lot of people. I thought Friday would be one of those days, it kind of was, but Greasen called it well and I loved the insight he shared (I wish he and Lob Wedge Phil would post more TBH). Holidays, 3 day weekends, and the days before major events tend to be harder and lower probability times to trade. Alternatively, right after an event when the machines take over isn't the best time either. Monthly OPEX especially when it's quad witch is a day I somewhat avoid.

Stop management - I have somewhat covered this in other topics, but this is everything. Something I like to do is ask where most people will have their stops and then set my buy or sell orders there. Position sizing too large will result in either too tight of a stop or not having a stop. You have to give trades room to work and you should exit when you think you are wrong or the trade is not doing what you expect. Understand that market makers, especially Citadel like to play games and push things down to get your contracts. This mostly happens intraday and if you're not prepared to deal with it, don't play or play smaller. It is sometimes wisest to not have a stop in place and watch price action, but you need to know when you will seek to exit and do so gracefully. If you don't have the discipline for that, then don't do it. This premise is especially true on less liquid products like XSP, DJX, or NDX. SPY and QQQ are very liquid and shouldn't have this problem. I would trade SPY if it had the same tax treatment. For a lot of you, SPY is going to be the better choice. Spreads also have prevent this, but that is another topic on execution and strategy choice. If you are not able to handle this, trading is not for you. Alternatively, you can treat everything like a lotto trade and exit at 100%+ or 0%. If you have a policy of -50% and 100%+, you only have to be right 1/3 times to make money. There are great traders that are right less than 50% of the time. There are also traders with a 70%+ win rate that may not take huge profits but manage stops well. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten, and this will show up in "Trading in the Zone" is to expect and be okay with $0, but don't let anything go to max loss.

Your own readiness - I don't see this getting discussed very often and when I do it gets discussed as putting work in. That's part of it, but you need to be mentally on top of things to succeed. If you're distracted with work or other personal things, it's pretty difficult to be a good trader. Never trade if you're sick, hung over, emotionally compromised, or simply don't feel like it. It will show in your results. I think the same applies to your job - don't make the big decisions if you're not thinking clearly. After a big loss, don't jump back in, you're emotionally compromised. Go take a walk, reset, and be ready when you're ready.

OK, that's it. I hope this helps.
DavysApprentice
AG
Great post.

Your contributions to this thread are greatly appreciated by all of us learning the ropes.
spud1910
AG
Thanks 30K!
Txducker
AG
Thanks 30k for taking the time to help everyone.
BaylorSpineGuy
Where do we think we go next? Is this debt ceiling thing gonna be a problem? Roiled markets in 2011.

SKEW index spiked up on Friday…pushing up against downtrend line now…
jimmo
Thank you
Philip J Fry
AG
Natural gas up 4.68% today
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Boil will hit $20+ in Feb
The Pilot
AG
Wrong thread
agdaddy04
AG
You're thinking it doubles in less than a month?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Philip J Fry said:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean have you looked at the monthly chart?
CheladaAg
AG

Philip J Fry said:

Is that based on just technicals or assuming a perfect storm of cold weather/high gas withdrawal/Freeport going back online within a few weeks?
BaylorSpineGuy
https://medium.com/@drroysmythe/recovery-7852c00db0f9

Hope some of you can glean something positive from this article. I know I can.
spud1910
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Thanks for sharing. A lot of that really hits home.
BaylorSpineGuy
spud1910 said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Thanks for sharing. A lot of that really hits home.

Yeah, same for me. That wasn't an article about medicine for me. That's about life. And extends to trading. I've recently suffered a big trading setback and kicking myself and crucifying myself for it.

I did a deep dive on myself this weekend and know why I did it and why I won't do it again, but I mustn't be afraid to keep trading. Must saddle up.

Atomic Habits. Aggregation of marginal gains. That's how to win. Not lottery picks.

Good luck fellas.
spud1910
AG
Yeah, it reminds me of a talk at a veterinary surgeon's meeting about TWA Flight 514 in 1974. Long story short: When mistakes are made, acknowledge, make changes as needed, focus on correcting the mistake, not punishing the one who made the mistake.
BaylorSpineGuy
spud1910 said:

Yeah, it reminds me of a talk at a veterinary surgeon's meeting about TWA Flight 514 in 1974. Long story short: When mistakes are made, acknowledge, make changes as needed, focus on correcting the mistake, not punishing the one who made the mistake.

When I was reading that story he told, I was surprised he was so level headed about the mistake made. Someone would've put a boot sideways up my @ $$ for something like that. And I trained many years after this guy. I lived in constant fear of my chief resident when I was a junior. I was humiliated by my chief in front of everyone multiple times. For even very minor things.

It also tells of the fragile nature of the human condition. The guy that ends up quitting…..he had never known failure in his life. The first time he got a taste, he folded like a cheap seat. There is some benefit to having athletes as surgeons….the learned lessons in athletics translates well to the operating room and peri-operative care.

But not to divert the ship, trading is similar. Take small gains daily like all the experts in here regularly pound the table. I went for a lotto play with more than a lotto sized risk, and I'm eating it. Painful. Take the 1% improvement daily. It goes a lot farther and with much less pain.
spud1910
AG
Exactly. The speech I referenced was the keynote presentation. The speaker's point was that when mistakes are made, focus on correcting the mistake (means work for everyone on the team) vs yelling at the person that made the mistake. As a result of that crash, the FAA made changes to allow anonymous reporting of problems. And to keep it on trading, that's a valuable lesson. Last year, I lost a lot of the profits I had made the year before. I've looked at the mistakes I have made, taken efforts to correct them and am up 12% for the year in 2023. Much more effective than beating myself up for being the idiot I have been at times.
Miguel
AG
Thanks for posting, lot of truth there!
Philip J Fry
AG
Also sounds like B students may be better suited for the real world.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
boyz05 said:

Philip J Fry said:

Is that based on just technicals or assuming a perfect storm of cold weather/high gas withdrawal/Freeport going back online within a few weeks?

Mean retracement.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Nat gas had a perfect bearish storm. Priced to bearish perfection.
Philip J Fry
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nat gas +6.50%.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thanks, good stuff.
E
AG
I apologize if this has already benen talked about, but whats the reasoning why BOIL has fallen so much?

Steady decline from 2019 to mid-2021, then a wild ride ever since with it tanking since august.
Philip J Fry
AG
Too much supple in preparation for a milder than expected winter. Freeport not able to export LNG has added to this glut.
GreasenUSA
AG
E said:

I apologize if this has already benen talked about, but whats the reasoning why BOIL has fallen so much?

Steady decline from 2019 to mid-2021, then a wild ride ever since with it tanking since august.
Boil is a leveraged ETF that tracks a highly volatile index. It will continue to head towards zero over its lifespan due to rebalancing and decay, only recalibrated by reverse splits.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, but that doesn't explain its recent decline.
GreasenUSA
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Yeah, but that doesn't explain its recent decline.
Oh, well then the answer to that is obvious.

Some people in our thread started buying it.

First Page Last Page
Page 5933 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.