Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,039,229 Views | 231645 Replies | Last: 32 min ago by ProgN
Bird Poo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Side note: want to witness a corporate governance failure? Look at $LUV.

From what I'm reading, it's mainly due to a software issue that scheduled crews, exasperated by the big storm. What info are you reading?
Spoony Love
AG
Going to be a blame game.
Carioca Corredor
AG
ProgN said:

Our collapse is unavoidable and it's being purposefully engineered by our "leaders". Whether it's in 5-10 years, no one knows but when it happens charts will mean zip.
So only renew Trading View acct on a yearly basis, not the 3 or 5 year plan?
techno-ag
AG
BOIL sub 19.
GreasenUSA
AG
TSLA volume looks to be about 30% higher since cash open than average in last several days.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Bird Poo said:

From what I'm reading, it's mainly due to a software issue that scheduled crews, exasperated by the big storm. What info are you reading?

If you take a look at their senior leader team, notice that a head of technology is not an EVP on par with the CFO, CMO, and COO. What this means is that the people deciding on technology decisions don't have a tech background and are therefore not able to appropriately communicate and understand risks to their business.

They just promoted an internal VP to CIO as well. They're going to have to hire a lot of outside help to dig themselves out.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
This is terrible price action. BOIL will recover eventually.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
The biggest travesty, Bob Jordan is an Ag with a computer science degree. He should know better!

Buck Compton
AG

Bird Poo said:

If you take a look at their senior leader team, notice that a head of technology is not an EVP on par with the CFO, CMO, and COO. What this means is that the people deciding on technology decisions don't have a tech background and are therefore not able to appropriately communicate and understand risks to their business.

They just promoted an internal VP to CIO as well. They're going to have to hire a lot of outside help to dig themselves out.
Yep. Very good point.

One thing I started looking at when looking for a new Finance role outside of my Management Consulting background a few years ago was how they view each department (Tech, Finance, Marketing, Ops, etc.) and how they outwardly present those leaders on their website. What are their titles and if they listed people in a certain order or just did it alphabetically. Most do it alphabetically by level, but even then the title discrepancies are obvious.

When a company lists several operational EVPs and regional leaders before the CFO (or provide much better titles to people in certain areas), then they view the Finance organization purely as accountants, not as business partners or a team that can help drive analytics and better decision-making. It's going to be a boring role. Same with technology leadership or any other support function.

Southwest doesn't even list a technology leader on their official investor relations page. My guess is it is either wrapped under COO, CCO, or Admin. https://www.southwestairlinesinvestorrelations.com/corporate-governance/senior-executive-leaders
Philip J Fry
AG
That 5ema line a ***** for the SPX right now.
Bird Poo
AG
Buck Compton said:

Bird Poo said:

Yep. Very good point.

One thing I started looking at when looking for a new Finance role outside of my Management Consulting background a few years ago was how they view each department (Tech, Finance, Marketing, Ops, etc.) and how they outwardly present those leaders on their website. What are their titles and if they listed people in a certain order or just did it alphabetically. Most do it alphabetically by level, but even then the title discrepancies are obvious.

When a company lists several operational EVPs and regional leaders before the CFO (or provide much better titles to people in certain areas), then they view the Finance organization purely as accountants, not as business partners or a team that can help drive analytics and better decision-making. It's going to be a boring role. Same with technology leadership or any other support function.

Southwest doesn't even list a technology leader on their official investor relations page. My guess is it is either wrapped under COO, CCO, or Admin. https://www.southwestairlinesinvestorrelations.com/corporate-governance/senior-executive-leaders

It is weird. And yet, technology makes up 30-40% of their corporate staff!
cgh1999
AG
Buck Compton said:

Bird Poo said:

Yep. Very good point.

Ryan Green is an Aggie. Class of 1999.
Spoony Love
AG
SPY at 379 might be a fight
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Bounce soon
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Great outlook. 100%
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Not weird at all, unfortunately. Many organizations view technology as a cost center or like an internal subcontractor to "the business".

It's possible southwest is this way. Ironically, literally all the revenue is generated via technology.
Philip J Fry
AG

Bounce soon

What do you think is going to bounce?
Spoony Love
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Bounce soon

What do you think is going to bounce?
I'm guessing SPY is what he meant.
Ag CPA
AG

The biggest travesty, Bob Jordan is an Ag with a computer science degree. He should know better!

This is what I can't understand and he has been there forever; I'm surprised that he still has a job this morning.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Market cannot bounce until AAPL does.
YaketyYak
techno-ag said:

YaketyYak said:

FTAG 2000 said:

YaketyYak said:

Does BOIL track UK Natural gas futures? They are -10% today.
Natural gas futures have come down to test a year long support / trend line in the $5.00 area.

Yeah, I was trading BOIL/KOLD this summer when NG was peaking above $9 and again in October/November around it's current levels anticipating a rail strike bringing coal to a standstill alongside a Freeport reopen.

I may have to reenter soon, but concerned about NG supply outpacing demand first half of 2023 and seeing calls for $3 NG by the second half gives me pause.

It's a fun but volatile one!

Cheers

This comment over on Seeking Alpha confirms some of my suspicions about the holidays and BOIL/KOLD.

Quote:

Many of the comments here show a fundamental misunderstanding of natgas markets, and the broader commodity trading space in general. I work as a trading and supply sme for a supermajor and will tell you, most of us trade vol; and, while vols are up, we are also taking profit and closing positions from this year on hedging programs. This forced selling drove down the market, and the etf's disconnected so drastically from underlying gas contracts (asset npv) b/c of investor sentiment alone. More positions come on the books in early jan. For now, traders are closing positions pre-holiday ahead of 12/28 nymex roll-off and holidays, when there is historically light volume. If you're one of these people still assuming the Biden admin is driving gas markets, you need a better education in supply/demand econmics. They have no ability to do that in deregulated markets. For now, expect downside pressure into january until you see long term forecasts change colder. Next week you'll get a 230-250 draw but not before seeing the $4.95 floor get tested. Stay tuned

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3919831-us-natural-gas-inventory-fall-smaller-than-expected

TL/DR: prices stay suppressed until January.
"Next week you'll get a 230-250 draw but not before seeing the $4.95 floor get tested."

Natural Gas Feb 23 touched $4.50 this morning
Take out the papers and the trash, or you don't get no spendin' cash
ProgN
I'd bet this is building for capitulation flush of the markets to close out the year.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
It's possible. Volume is too low, I think.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Next ten points on SPX are crucial here.
ProgN
It's building as most of the megacaps set new 52wk lows.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I think 3795 will be very hard to break.
Buck Compton
AG

Not weird at all, unfortunately. Many organizations view technology as a cost center or like an internal subcontractor to "the business".

It's possible southwest is this way. Ironically, literally all the revenue is generated via technology.
Yep. Every bit of their revenue relies on technology. To book, to track, to maintain, to collect, etc.

It was eye-opening speaking to people from Delta a few years ago. They operate flights at this point on basically a break-even basis after OPEX. They make more money to the bottom-line (by far) from customer credit cards each year than they do from flying people around. But those customer credit cards are only valuable if they continue to fly people around.

I don't know if that is a bigger indictment on the airline industry or on the state of the payment processing industry and how ridiculously bloated those margins are.
Boy Named Sue
AG
Losing my ass today in my energy-heavy brokerage account. Shoulda listened to you guys lol

About 2/3 of it is long-term holds until early April, for tax reasons, so I'm not panicking yet.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
There's the big algo push. Let's see what's next.
ProgN

I think 3795 will be very hard to break.
Philip J Fry
AG
3791 here we come
Spoony Love
AG
Kind of shocking how easily it wne through
ProgN
Spoony Love said:

No support anywhere, I believe we see the Nasdaq below 10K by close of Friday.
Philip J Fry
AG
Spoony Love said:

That's what she said
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
You were saying, Prog?
First Page Last Page
Page 5904 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.