Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,051,059 Views | 231664 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by I bleed maroon
not hedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dump
Golf1
AG
Are you holding VIX? Ive had 25C for a couple of weeks and it seems like it doesn't matter if the VIX is up 8% or not, It always seems to be red. Really not sure how it trades at all.
Spoony Love
AG
Market is fighting over direction right now. This could reverse that dump: fade the first move perhaps
South Platte
Yeah. Paper hands. I'm out with a 3% gain on my bear ETF.
Ags2013
AG
Towns03 said:

MasonRamsay said:

For all the bag holders like me. It may be a hopium play from here on out lol

Didn't someone post a pic of a plant ground breaking this week?
I just tax harvested. It's about to go.
BaylorSpineGuy
I scratched for a few hundred bucks just now. Avg position held for under a minute like a total puss I am. Lol
CC09LawAg
Hah ditto. Took my 30% and bounced!
Bob Knights Paper Hands
WTF is Powell saying to make the markets so angry. Also I'm a bit short biased, but I feel like I'm rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles or the longhorns.
topher06
Betting the don't pass
BaylorSpineGuy
CC09LawAg said:

Hah ditto. Took my 30% and bounced!

I was probably closer to 5-10% but I got in after main move started :-(
Triple_Bagger
Bob Knights Paper Hands said:

WTF is Powell saying to make the markets so angry. Also I'm a bit short biased, but I feel like I'm rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles or the longhorns.
Powell doesn't speak until 1:30
CC09LawAg
A W is a W!
topher06
Triple_Bagger said:

Bob Knights Paper Hands said:

Powell doesn't speak until 1:30
So now he's taking a **** on the market.

These price swings are wild. Are the algos reacting to voice inflections and eye movements or something?
BaylorSpineGuy
Made about $1000 today. Gonna walk away here. No doubt leaving some meat on my plate but I'd rather not choke. Don't wanna chase.

Am gonna swing VIX calls (VIXperation today), so it may loosen up after today.

I took 3 trades here and won on all of them. Tough trading so will take my win and move along.
FTAG 2000
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Made about $1000 today. Gonna walk away here. No doubt leaving some meat on my plate but I'd rather not choke. Don't wanna chase.

Am gonna swing VIX calls (VIXperation today), so it may loosen up after today.

I took 3 trades here and won on all of them. Tough trading so will take my win and move along.
What were you in?

I played VIX calls but they really didn't react to FOMC minutes release, so got out for a tiny gain.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Tough to play vix calls on events like this because iv inevitably tanks at/after the event, so even if spy tanks and vix should go up, premiums get crushed so your options still lose
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
There's no way we don't tag that 395.3 level before close

Edit: "nature finds a way"
BaylorSpineGuy
2 SPY puts, 1 SPY call. I bought some VIX calls (about 5-8% on those) but swinging them - Feb expiry. I expect they won't move much yet. Yesterday was the dark cloud cover pattern With follow through today. More downward pressure to come. Those VIX calls are gonna look good in a couple weeks, I think. No rush there.
ProgN
With Jpow and the fed behind us, a Santa rally could be brewing now.
Triple_Bagger
ProgN said:

With Jpow and the fed behind us, a Santa rally could be brewing now.

Jpow is still speaking....
ProgN
Yeah, but this market is acting like it wants to go higher.
Triple_Bagger
The only bullish statement from Powell was that future rate hikes will be smaller, but everything is is bad for equities.

Fed expects to move rates above 5% and keep them there until 2024. Powell said they don't want to cut rates prematurely.
topher06
We went up like 20 points the other day on a similar speech, although that was an obvious short squeeze. Shorts seem more confident this time. Market makers definitely cleaned up on premiums today.
Heineken-Ashi
Triple_Bagger said:

The only bullish statement from Powell was that future rate hikes will be smaller, but everything is is bad for equities.

Fed expects to move rates above 5% and keep them there until 2024. Powell said they don't want to cut rates prematurely.
It was EXACTLY as expected. Maintain hawkish tone while trying hard to sound hopeful so he doesn't grinch up Christmas.

Nothing has changed. FED is going to 5+ and parking there. Always were. If inflation comes down, they drop when in the clear. If inflation goes up again, FED will raise again.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
ProgN
I can't watch his speech. Well if that's the case, let's just fill the gap at 3800 and get that out of the way.
irish pete ag06
AG
Just throwing out the data point. Lunch with an investment company rep. Their dude is thinking 3200 in 2023.

Don't shoot the messenger, just figured if I such at bringing trades to this place, at least I can bring this insight.
topher06
Dumping now
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Triple_Bagger said:

Been outside all day dealing with snow. Appears I didn't miss much. That 5% remark,...glad they see it my way. ; - ))

My post down below from 12/12. I'm not omnipotent or clairvoyant. I'm a slow learner with minimal retention. All I know is that the math says the Gov't can't service the debt at 5.5% to 6%, unless Congress cuts Medicare or Social Security. Powell needs +1 interest rate over inflation to stop inflation and he's not going to that level - can't. They (Fed and U.S. Gov't) have to let energy markets run to slow inflation/economy. The Fed used energy as a tool in the past for slowing, but this time the Administration's alignment with Green Energy may render the energy tool useless. Artificial suppression of fossil fuels just to make G7 Price Caps look like they are working. Germany's salvation is Freeport LNG. Germany must have really honked this Administration off for the U.S. Gov't to be so hell-bent on not allowing it to reopen. If Freeport opens this winter, U.S. NatGas goes parabolic. Can't have U.S. NatGas prices rising, can we..?
Quote:

Once Powell gets to 5.0% / 5.5%, I think that's where the rubber meets the road. I say he can't move higher, or for more than 3 months, then has to cut. He's gotta be +1% over inflation to stop it. I don't think that happens. Powell can't get the rate to 7% or 8% Gov't and Fed needs to let energy markets run....it' will slow the economy on its own. JMO.
topher06
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

Triple_Bagger said:

Been outside all day dealing with snow. Appears I didn't miss much. That 5% remark,...glad they see it my way. ; - ))

My post down below from 12/12. I'm not omnipotent or clairvoyant. I'm a slow learner with minimal retention. All I know is that the math says the Gov't can't service the debt at 5.5% to 6%, unless Congress cuts Medicare or Social Security. Powell needs +1 interest rate over inflation to stop inflation and he's not going to that level - can't. They (Fed and U.S. Gov't) have to let energy markets run to slow inflation/economy. The Fed used energy as a tool in the past for slowing, but this time the Administration's alignment with Green Energy may render the energy tool useless. Artificial suppression of fossil fuels just to make G7 Price Caps look like they are working. Germany's salvation is Freeport LNG. Germany must have really honked this Administration off for the U.S. Gov't to be so hell-bent on not allowing it to reopen. If Freeport opens this winter, U.S. NatGas goes parabolic. Can't have U.S. NatGas prices rising, can we..?
Quote:

Once Powell gets to 5.0% / 5.5%, I think that's where the rubber meets the road. I say he can't move higher, or for more than 3 months, then has to cut. He's gotta be +1% over inflation to stop it. I don't think that happens. Powell can't get the rate to 7% or 8% Gov't and Fed needs to let energy markets run....it' will slow the economy on its own. JMO.

Freeport LNG will not be opening this winter. FERC coming up with a new reason to further delay the restart pretty much seals that deal. Suspect the federal regulators have been instructed to keep it shut down.
Dan Scott
AG
They screwed things up bigly. If economic slow down was the goal to tame inflation, they should have let energy run. Rate hikes haven't done squat. Prolonged $150+ oil would have hit aggregate demand quicker than rate hikes. We're going to be in a position next year where energy in high and rates are high. Double whammy. And Trump tax cuts expire 2024 to prepare for.

The market during Trump years was awesome. We had cheap e energy, low taxes, and dovish fed. Next year we have 1 of the 3 pieces
topher06
Think we see some recovery at 3:16pm
FTAG 2000
AG
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

Triple_Bagger said:

Germany's salvation is Freeport LNG. Germany must have really honked this Administration off for the U.S. Gov't to be so hell-bent on not allowing it to reopen. If Freeport opens this winter, U.S. NatGas goes parabolic. Can't have U.S. NatGas prices rising, can we..?
Quote:

Like blowing up a pipeline underwater to keep Russian oil from flowing to certain countries?
BaylorSpineGuy
Looks like market was pinned near 4,000. I got my small amt and got out. I let the pros have their fun for the last hour.

Curious where we go next.

What does the JPEQX thing look like for December? We hadn't discussed that in a minute but I remember it was pretty spot on for the September close. Feels like it has more influence at the end of quarters but I'm an idiot and know pretty much nothing.
Philip J Fry
AG
Dan Scott said:

They screwed things up bigly. If economic slow down was the goal to tame inflation, they should have let energy run. Rate hikes haven't done squat. Prolonged $150+ oil would have hit aggregate demand quicker than rate hikes. We're going to be in a position next year where energy in high and rates are high. Double whammy. And Trump tax cuts expire 2024 to prepare for.

The market during Trump years was awesome. We had cheap e energy, low taxes, and dovish fed. Next year we have 1 of the 3 pieces

They are doing it on purpose to appease the green energy lunatics in their party.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Dan Scott said:

If economic slow down was the goal to tame inflation, they should have let energy run.

Lots of people say this, but I'm sure the reason it hasn't been done is because nobody really knows how pervasive the ripple effect would be. For one, it's super regressive. Someone who can barely afford to fill their tank at $3 is going under at $5 gas.
Most of us would groan about a $200 fill up but at minimum wage someone might just decide to file disability and stay at home rather than spend all that money on gas to work their first 2 hours just to break even on the commute. Going into the winter, the entire rural northeast that heats their homes with fuel oil (which they buy once a year, not get billed monthly usage) would be crushed/forced to take out credit at increasing rates to keep from freezing. So then you get 25 year old communists running for office on the platform of nationalizing oil, and actually having a shot at it, or we end up making terrible deals with nasty countries. I guess we could also end up putting a bunch more holes in GOM which would be fine, but that takes a while and i think the short term effects would be way more crippling than anybody wants
First Page Last Page
Page 5883 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.