Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,984,266 Views | 231561 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Heineken-Ashi
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went ahead and closed out a percentage of UVXY in the upper $9's. Nice little swing trade.
bmoochie
AG
BREwmaster said:

Golf1 said:

Is Powell going to shoot SPY back down to 380 or do we see 395 after he speaks?
not trading advice, but usually fade the opening move and you make $. I played a couple puts a week out on the opening spike. Then once JPow got into the meat of his talk, TLT started dumping and SPY quickly followed.

hopefully those in XOM calls took profits!
I actually successfully traded my first strangle fading the first move. Was a little anxious at first because the market wasn't doing anything till Powell spoke.
Spoony Love
AG
Wondering if there will be continuation tomorrow.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Did you keep those next week $114's?
irish pete ag06
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

LABU continues to show relative strength...

NM

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
This is why you stay away on fed day.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Brewmaster
AG
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

Did you keep those next week $114's?
I took profits on half around 112 and all remaining I took off, right before FOMC. I didn't like the markets ripping upward right before minutes. Would love the markets to bounce here soon though and maybe play XOM again!

interesting spot for XOM, bounced off Monday low (which was also basically last Thursday high)
Whirligigs
Dems are donesky
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I have flies pinned at 3820 and 3730. Just move one way or the other, baby.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Hold on to your butts my friends....

The forecasted 10YR UST yield is expected to hit 5% in March of 2023 and hit 5.70% by May of 2023.

Needless to say, that means 8-9% interest rates. Things are slowwwwwwwwwwing down pretty quick in the RE markets and not just residential.

http://www.worldgovernmentbonds.com/bond-forecast/united-states/10-years/#:~:text=The%20United%20States%2010%20Years,%3A15%20GMT%2B0).
Saltyag15
AG
This is just a shoot from the hip opinion, but as long as diesel is $5.00/gal+ (now close to $2/gal more than unleaded in some places), inflation isn't going to slow down a whole heck of a lot.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Saltyag15 said:

This is just a shoot from the hip opinion, but as long as diesel is $5.00/gal+ (now close to $2/gal more than unleaded in some places), inflation isn't going to slow down a whole heck of a lot.
If Powell got out of the way with his rate hikes and Brandon never released any crude from the SPR, fuel prices would have escalated to a point of slowing the U.S. economy all by itself months ago. No rate hikes needed and no crude needed to come out of the SPR.

Brandon's Administration will destroy this current economy one way or another if successful in the Mid-Terms. Wave Red is the only thing to stop it. It's like a National Sherman's March to the Sea playing out before our eyes and Brandon is leading the charge. Oh well,...haircut time. See y'all.
vette
AG
Red Pear BCS Luke said:

The forecasted 10YR UST yield is expected to hit 5% in March of 2023 and hit 5.70% by May of 2023.

Needless to say, that means 8-9% interest rates. Things are slowwwwwwwwwwing down pretty quick in the RE markets and not just residential.

http://www.worldgovernmentbonds.com/bond-forecast/united-states/10-years/#:~:text=The%20United%20States%2010%20Years,%3A15%20GMT%2B0).
This would be catastrophic to the real estate sector... like 40-50% drops in asset values off their highs.
Red Rover
AG
I did not trade before the Fed meeting, but scalped some calls after. I almost bought SPX 3875 puts for $20 based on intraday RSI showing reversal. I would not have held long, much less the rest of the afternoon, but it's crazy to think about what kind of day I could have had.
jj9000
AG
I mean...things could be worse:

Sep 22 - Venezuela: Central Bank cut interest rate to 56.99% (-0.64)

Central Bank Rate
Argentina
75.00 % +550 bp

ProgN
Red Pear BCS Luke said:

Gabe picked the wrong time to leave TA to get into real estate.
BlueTaze
Powell figures if everyone looks at their 401K, they will stop buying stuff.

I'm sure we leak down, but Oct CPI comes in Nov 10th, last CPI Oct 10th kicked off rally.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
vette said:

Red Pear BCS Luke said:

This would be catastrophic to the real estate sector... like 40-50% drops in asset values off their highs.
Gone are the days of deals being valued on a 4-5% cap rate.
ProgN
Roku is getting prison shower raped AH.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ProgN said:

Red Pear BCS Luke said:

Gabe picked the wrong time to leave TA to get into real estate.
I feel this on a personal level as well.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
LMCane
Red Pear BCS Luke said:

that's some good data right there.
not that the markets really care about the larger macro economy right now.
LMCane
ProgN said:

Roku is getting prison shower raped AH.
did Airbnb just report after hours or earlier in the day?
I am seeing they are down 13% in one day.
TecRecAg
AG
Earlier. Good Q3 but bad Q4 guidance.
BaylorSpineGuy
Didn't I exactly call this like 2 weeks ago?!?

Gonna give myself some credit here. Been saying for a while that Europe will flip and capitulate to Russia. France and Italy have and here come the Germans. Careful now! A sympathetic Germany to an invasion of a sovereign country.

On a positive note, seems Walter Bloomberg is back!

Chef Elko
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Didn't I exactly call this like 2 weeks ago?!?

Gonna give myself some credit here. Been saying for a while that Europe will flip and capitulate to Russia. France and Italy have and here come the Germans. Careful now! A sympathetic Germany to an invasion of a sovereign country.

On a positive note, seems Walter Bloomberg is back!

That's why the Nord Stream pipelines were blown up, you can't trust Germany. Keep Russia on the ropes.
BlueTaze
VIX didn't move like I would have expected with today's sell-off.
Bonfire1996
AG
VIX isn't going to hit the high point till the SPR drain is stopped. Then heads up
BlueTaze
RIG beats, conf call tmrw morning

Quote:

CEO comment:
"The robust demand for our assets and services helped us secure an incremental $1.6 billion since our July 25 Fleet Status Report, contributing to our already industry-leading backlog. We remain encouraged by the sustained strength in the offshore drilling market globally and expect demand for the increasingly scarce high-capability drilling rigs Transocean owns and operates to remain strong for the foreseeable future, resulting in higher utilization and dayrates."
FTAco07
AG
Red Pear BCS Luke said:

Did you read their little disclaimer? That forecast is based on a trend following algorithm so of course it's going to keep following the upward trend. The 10Y may very well hit 5% in the first half of 2023 (though I personally don't think it will), but there's no way in hell it's hitting their forecasted 6.8% in December 2023.

The market controls long term yields, not the fed. You have to look at the full yield curve. The yield curve is already incredibly inverted because the market knows short term rate hikes are going to slow the economy. The 3-month bill yields 4 bps more than the 10-year note and the 1-year bill yield is 60 bps higher than the 30-year note. That right there tells me the fed isn't capable of raising short term rates enough to push the 10-year another 270 bps in the next 13-months (to the December forecasted number in the link above).
Brewmaster
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

This is why you stay away on fed day.
but fading the opening move once FOMC starts, pays 9 times out of 10. Okay, maybe it's 8 out of 10. It is a high high number. I didn't play 0dte's, but I played out a week, puts after that big green missile at 387+. I didn't hold for a full move down, took nice profits pretty quick, should've kept 1 runner!

it's a small play, risky, but has been really hitting lately.
Brewmaster
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

VIX isn't going to hit the high point till the SPR drain is stopped. Then heads up
still bullish on real estate for 2022/23? the talk above this post had me thinking about it. but it only makes sense that they can't keep rates high for long.
FTAco07
AG
To follow on to my previous post, every single time the 3-mo yield is greater than the 10-year yield there is a recession shortly thereafter and nothing kills the inflation boogeyman like a recession.

The FRED data I am looking at only goes back to 1982, but look at the chart linked below. This part of the curve first inverted October 18 and again October 25th, just last week. As you can see, there's always a few months lag before the technical recession starts so I am not going to market time, but I would be prepared over the next 6 months. If/when the 10-year gets to mid-4s I would load up because you can lock in a nice risk free return while the market continues to tank and take advantage of capital appreciation as bond yields start dropping (prices increasing) long before the equity market bottoms.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/T10Y3M
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
FTAco07 said:

Red Pear BCS Luke said:

Did you read their little disclaimer? That forecast is based on a trend following algorithm so of course it's going to keep following the upward trend. The 10Y may very well hit 5% in the first half of 2023 (though I personally don't think it will), but there's no way in hell it's hitting their forecasted 6.8% in December 2023.

The market controls long term yields, not the fed. You have to look at the full yield curve. The yield curve is already incredibly inverted because the market knows short term rate hikes are going to slow the economy. The 3-month bill yields 4 bps more than the 10-year note and the 1-year bill yield is 60 bps higher than the 30-year note. That right there tells me the fed isn't capable of raising short term rates enough to push the 10-year another 270 bps in the next 13-months (to the December forecasted number in the link above).

I absolutely agree with you. It's just algos following the trend.

I thought the correlation between the 2YR and the 10YR widening to 52bps vs it bouncing closer to 40bps before this meeting was interesting.
sts7049
AG
this doesn't look like a trend worth buying into

BlueTaze
FTAco07 said:

The market controls long term yields, not the fed.

The Fed wants a recession and I think it plays generally how you forecast. However, they could just buy LT bonds to manipulate the curve. They have added yield curve control/manipulation to their can kicking tool kit.
First Page Last Page
Page 5805 of 6617

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.