Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,999,435 Views | 231603 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by CC09LawAg
Golf1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1-2 trades per day with an account of $5,000 isn't possible?
Can only do 3 day trades for every 5 business days
Brewmaster
AG
what about earnings drift though? this will continue to sell off, but you might get a retrace over the next few trading days.
Brewmaster
AG
Golf1 said:

turn, Off, Margin! Cash only account is the way
insulator_king
AG
I've never had any $ROKU. I'm sure it is in $VOO though.

Pretty happy with my few shares of $ARRY, up 23% today! They won a lawsuit.
Decay
AG
Golf1 said:

Trading different positions I'd assume. 10-20% in each equity, only trade each one once or twice a week.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
You could sell call credit spreads or buy puts if you're worried about wash sale issues instead of selling now and planning on buying in a bit when it bottoms out.
irish pete ag06
AG
Yes, bud. Go cash. Options settle next day. Equities 2 day/
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'm going to repost this via Amazon earnings because there was a ton of talk on this thread about inflation hurting Amazon, and comparisons to Walmart:

AWS generated operating income of $5.7 billion, accounting for all of Amazon's profit plus some in the period.

The cloud business isn't showing signs of slowing. Keep an eye on AMD and Nvidia coming up, as they'll guide down on client and channel sales but significantly higher on data center
irish pete ag06
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Premium said:

I want to see how ROKU opens tomorrow, but that's a big gap. I'm going to look for bottoming and then buy some.

They're not going out of business.

Probably similar logic people were using to buy back in February / March.

There's a big difference between me and them: I'm not a dumbass that won't use stop losses. Being wrong is part of trading

You look for bottoming (probably at least a couple of days), then you buy above that with a stop just below the bottom. If you're wrong, you're wrong and you move on. But if you're right…ooh boy.

I can trade any stock profitably, long or short. Pick one and I'll show you.

30K back from his hiatus.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean I agree that was a dumb move on my part, but damn bro.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Not an insult. It's your tuition. We have all paid. View it as a badge of honor.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
BaylorSpineGuy
Question for the board. Was looking at this stock tonight after reading IBD. ARIS is ticker. Yahoo says institutional ownership is 109% (held by institutions). Can someone please explain how this is possible? Does it have to do with the shares sold short or something? Would appreciate any insight!

98PercenterAg
AG
It's called investing
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Don't worry man, you're not the first.

lobwedgephil
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Question for the board. Was looking at this stock tonight after reading IBD. ARIS is ticker. Yahoo says institutional ownership is 109% (held by institutions). Can someone please explain how this is possible? Does it have to do with the shares sold short or something? Would appreciate any insight!

Bad data, institutional ownership is actually 69.11%
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Natives getting restless over Green Energy

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bjorn-lomborg-rich-world-message-100056312.html

Spoiler Alert: Last paragraph, if you're a rich country, invest in a poor country. Or simply, we want your money.

Fossil fuels, invest wisely.
Carlo4
AG
I have a very hard thing to do tomorrow. I must log in to my dads brokerage accounts and sell some shares.

He's in day 14 in the ICU and will spend the next 2-3 months in long term care recovering from pneumonia. Retirement accounts are safe and with a broker, but his brokerage/fun account is 90% tech and is now down 25% from January (instead of 35-40%). We were in the process of diversification/working together when he got sick, so wanted to help him while he was in the dark for the next 3 months.

Several of his minor tech stock positions are down 70-90%, so going to jettison those. Half his money is long term gains in Apple, so I'll sell a small position offset by losses sold to help get some cash to start the process.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but my mom is good with it. Just sucks. I want to do him right….
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
#1 lesson in trading: unrealized loss and realized loss are the same thing

#2 lesson: have a plan for every investment. That can include "hold forever". There is also the point of when to take some profits or when to rebalance. I still have calendar year 2009 shares for Apple and Amazon, for example. I have sold a lot over the last two years and have moved proceeds to QQQ instead because I believe that relative outperformance over the indexes may not be as feasible going forward (given their index weights).

There is an implied condition with the hold forever philosophy. You have to do it with quality companies that ideally provide return on capital through dividends. Buy preferred shares if you have to. There are lots of people that say things like I'm going to hold $COIN forever. It's lost 80% of its value and it doesn't pay a dividend. The truth is that they don't want to confront being a bag holder and they make themselves feel better by having an infinite time horizon so that they don't sell at a loss. If it takes you twenty years to break even, you effed up and you're not a hero.

The idea of holding forever is widely romanticized and for the majority of people that won't watch or can't stomach watching it's the right philosophy, but I'd be putting my money in SPY, QQQ, and DIA or some equivalent like VOO or VIVIX. I would avoid trendy high fee mutual funds, but region specific ones can pay. FLATX was a hero for me in the early to mid 2000s.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

#1 lesson in trading: unrealized loss and realized loss are the same thing

I see you say this a lot, but why? What do you mean by this exactly?
RangerRick9211
AG
Carlo4 said:

I have a very hard thing to do tomorrow. I must log in to my dads brokerage accounts and sell some shares.

He's in day 14 in the ICU and will spend the next 2-3 months in long term care recovering from pneumonia. Retirement accounts are safe and with a broker, but his brokerage/fun account is 90% tech and is now down 25% from January (instead of 35-40%). We were in the process of diversification/working together when he got sick, so wanted to help him while he was in the dark for the next 3 months.

Several of his minor tech stock positions are down 70-90%, so going to jettison those. Half his money is long term gains in Apple, so I'll sell a small position offset by losses sold to help get some cash to start the process.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but my mom is good with it. Just sucks. I want to do him right….

Margin? My dad had **** when he went through cancer and died. His estate was negative and the collectors had to pick at the remains.

So I get where you are emotionally, but just thinking out loud financially. Instead of selling can now can you look at margin? Kick the can down the road until recovery mentality. Wholly dependent on the size of account and expenses.
Ragoo
AG
Prayers for you dad
Carlo4
AG
He had lost enough money to cause my parents of 51 years to argue about money and that never happens. He admitted he made several financial blunders the last 6 months and refused to admit it until he got in too deep. He trusted Motley Fool and other emails telling him to pick all tech.

He did well on his own up until recently.

When he's ready, I want him to look and see that he has a cash position to go after other areas/the horrible picks are gone.

As an only child, I feel much more comfortable doing this.
ProgN
If you really want our advice then you'll need to list the symbols of what he's holding. You don't have to list the sizes or amounts, but need to know what we're looking at.

Iirc, doctors aren't permitted to diagnose you without observing you.
XOM

Today, July 29th, Exxon Mobil Corp posted its BIGGEST quarterly profit ever!!

Exxon reported second-quarter net income of $17.9 billion, or $4.21 per share, an almost four-fold increase over the $4.69 billion, or $1.10 per share, it earned in the same period last year.
Exxon's results also beat its best quarter of 2008, when Brent crude oil prices peaked at $147 per barrel, and its best-ever quarter reached in 2012, when the company earned $15.9 billion. Exxon has been using extra cash to pay down debt and raise distributions to shareholders. It maintained its 88-cent-per-share dividend for the third quarter.
The company earlier this year more than doubled its projected buyback program to $30 billion through 2022 and 2023.
Exxon kept its capital investments at $9.5 billion in the first half of the year, in line with full-year guidance.

"I just wanna bang on the (Oil) drum all day..."

Pre-Market $95.00 / $2.36 / +2.55%
Happy Friday!

Brewmaster
AG
never knew I could like a song about ketchup so much, lol
Carlo4
AG
ProgN said:

If you really want our advice then you'll need to list the symbols of what he's holding. You don't have to list the sizes or amounts, but need to know what we're looking at.

Iirc, doctors aren't permitted to diagnose you without observing you.

Coin base, Roku, Shopify, and Spotify are on the block.

Roku has been held since 200s. He bought the others 6-7 months ago. He's down between 50-75% in these (was way worse 2 weeks ago).

The rest are companies I've never heard but they seem down consistently with QQQ so I was doing nothing with them. I'll provide a list later.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
There is a trading psychology issue where people view themselves as being down but not having lost money until they book the loss. There is hope placed in the idea of an eventual recovery and they'll ride it down into oblivion.

You guys have heard it "I refuse to take a loss".

I refuse to lose money in aggregate. Taking losses is part of that.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Carlo, I'm so sorry. Can't really give you any suggestions, but do what you think is right.
Lake08
Sell me on NOT buying XOM. Oil is a very nice hedge against big tech and the market in general
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Carlo4 said:

Sorry to hear about this. T&P for your dad's recovery.
tailgatetimer10
AG
It may be a good near term trade but if you look at their books they are no longer investing in growth. The record profits are coming at the expense of investment into production
LMCane
Fed's Favorite Inflation Indicator Jumps To New 40-Year High, Savings Rate Plunges

The Fed's favorite inflation indicator - PCE Deflator - was expected to accelerate in June and both the headline and core increased significantly (+6.8% YoY and +4.8% YoY respectively) - both higher than expected. The headline print is the highest since 1982. Source: Bloomberg

With both the headline and core inflation signals re-accelerating, it appears the 'peak inflation' narrative has busted once again.

The 'inflation' indicator has supported nominal personal spending (even as incomes fail to keep pace - with soaring revolving credit signaling Americans relying on credit cards to get by). Nominal spending rose 1.1% month over month (slightly better than expected) while incomes rose only 0.6% Month over month. Source: Bloomberg

On a nominal year-over-year basis, incomes grew at 5.7% while spending (again this is nominal) rose 8.4%.
Source: Bloomberg

Real personal spending managed a measly increase of 0.1% MoM in June, which leaves real spending up just 1.6% year over year. Source: Bloomberg

On the income side, both private and government wages saw growth slow in June. Private wages rose 11.2%, down from 11.9% in May and lowest since March 2021, while Government wages rose 4.8%, down from 5.4% and the lowest since Mar 2021.

Finally, the savings rate tumbled to just 5.1% - the lowest since August 2009.
tailgatetimer10 said:

It may be a good near term trade but if you look at their books they are no longer investing in growth. The record profits are coming at the expense of investment into production
Last 3 years have not been a time period to spend capex to expand structurally in fossil fuels due to covid and no one driving. Suddenly Green Energy finding out they can't survive without fossil fuels; therefore, demand for fossil fuels continues to increase on all fronts. This time, different than in past, energy companies aren't going out of their way to over produce and kill their market - this Administration has decided to kill their industry for them and further tightened the grip on capex spending. Structurally, supply will be just enough to keep up with demand and the green energy need. Don't look for fossil fuels to go capex spend until a friendly President is elected. XOM is spending a lot in Guyana and producing a lot, but they are capex spending in a country that appreciates their presence.
Eliminatus
AG

There is a trading psychology issue where people view themselves as being down but not having lost money until they book the loss. There is hope placed in the idea of an eventual recovery and they'll ride it down into oblivion.

You guys have heard it "I refuse to take a loss".

I refuse to lose money in aggregate. Taking losses is part of that.

Slowly learning this one myself. The mind is an interesting thing. Especially when you know exactly what is going on, as it is happening but still don't deviate as you know you should until too late.
First Page Last Page
Page 5583 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.