Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,028,743 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by ProgN
FJ43
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love reading the board at night.

Let's go!
Elation
Cliff jumping
A "F" off
Calmness
What do we do now

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Bob Knights Paper Hands
McInnis 03 said:

These pukes are getting faster and more frequent. Liquidity just isn't there is it?

The lack of breadth in the market (fewer and fewer, but really big, stocks green) and what looks like waning liquidity is concerning to me. Look how low skew is right now. If another big selling day happens and there aren't any more dip buyers left I think we'll have a major pullback. All it would take is any black swan event as a trigger for initial selling. Doesn't mean it WILL happen, but I think it's a real possiblity.
ProgN
FJ43 said:

Let's go!
Elation
Cliff jumping
A "F" off
Calmness
What do we do now

When is your project finished?
FJ43
ProgN said:

FJ43 said:

Let's go!
Elation
Cliff jumping
A "F" off
Calmness
What do we do now

Exit is 3rd/4th 2023. However, early stages consume most of my time. Should bleed off later into and through 3rd/4th this year to where I can actively trade again. Hopefully I can be in manage mode by then.

Y'all being able to actively trade everyday is killing me. Didn't realize how much I loved it. I miss the camaraderie big time.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

BaylorSpineGuy
Can someone please explain how the market puking is a function of liquidity? This makes no sense to me.

I think of price of an equity or an index as a function of supply-demand. I don't exactly understand how liquidity is the cause of the market pullbacks?
wanderer
I don't think people are saying the market is puking because of a lack of liquidity. I think they're saying the wild swings we continue to see (especially intraday) could be a sign of a lack of liquidity.
McInnis 03
AG
I'm probably wrong on that. It's not like all that money they injected went away overnight. Just interesting up downs lately
lobwedgephil
We are in a negative gamma environment, which leads to more volatile swings in both directions.
BaylorSpineGuy
So it just begs the question then…..where did the liquidity go? More shares and options were traded at these levels just a few months ago, so why is it not there now?

Are institutional investors just not buying and selling right now and retail can't generate same amount of buying/selling pressure?
lobwedgephil
BaylorSpineGuy said:

So it just begs the question then…..where did the liquidity go? More shares and options were traded at these levels just a few months ago, so why is it not there now?

Are institutional investors just not buying and selling right now and retail can't generate same amount of buying/selling pressure?
The liquidity hasn't gone anywhere. On average we are trading higher volumes now during any time in years besides the covid drop and bounce.

Brewmaster
AG
lobwedgephil said:

We are in a negative gamma environment, which leads to more volatile swings in both directions.
and I freaking love it for scalping! I've been watching VIX for entry and exit points, been gravy.
cageybee77
AG
when my gamma was negative, we never got dessert.
aggiedaniel06
AG
Liquidity is gone (as should be expected with QE tap turning off). ES mini order book is the thinnest its been since March 2020.
Irish 2.0
aggiedaniel06 said:

Liquidity is gone (as should be expected with QE tap turning off). ES mini order book is the thinnest its been since March 2020.

I'm not willing to bet on it, but I would not doubt if the Fed blinks first here.
aggiedaniel06
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Can someone please explain how the market puking is a function of liquidity? This makes no sense to me.

I think of price of an equity or an index as a function of supply-demand. I don't exactly understand how liquidity is the cause of the market pullbacks?

Few comments:

- Liquidity allows for smooth functioning of any markets.
- An excess of liquidity creates an environment of asset price inflation. I.e. More money chasing same assets.
- Equity prices are a function of supply demand
- Indices, more accurately Index ETF's don't work based on supply demand.
ProgN
FJ43 said:

ProgN said:

FJ43 said:

Let's go!
Elation
Cliff jumping
A "F" off
Calmness
What do we do now

Exit is 3rd/4th 2023. However, early stages consume most of my time. Should bleed off later into and through 3rd/4th this year to where I can actively trade again. Hopefully I can be in manage mode by then.

Y'all being able to actively trade everyday is killing me. Didn't realize how much I loved it. I miss the camaraderie big time.

FJ checking his phone but can't trade.
aggiedaniel06
AG
I think QE is done. Once this accelerated taper finishes, I don't see them restarting treasury purchases anytime soon.
The other form of tightening which is hiking interest rates is what remains to be seen. i.e. what the pace of hikes is going to be. IMO, anything less than 50bps in March is going to be seen as Dovish.
bhanacik
AG
What plays do you play off of when referencing VIX? Specific stocks or indices?

I've noticed a few stocks are very correlated to the VIX and some not as much. SNAP being one that seems very correlated
FJ43
ProgN
aggiedaniel06 said:

I think QE is done. Once this accelerated taper finishes, I don't see them restarting treasury purchases anytime soon.
The other form of tightening which is hiking interest rates is what remains to be seen. i.e. what the pace of hikes is going to be. IMO, anything less than 50bps in March is going to be seen as Dovish.
Agreed, and 50 bps is really what they should do. I'm more concerned about China and Taiwan than I am interest rates.
Brewmaster
AG
bhanacik said:

What plays do you play off of when referencing VIX? Specific stocks or indices?

I've noticed a few stocks are very correlated to the VIX and some not as much. SNAP being one that seems very correlated
Mostly SPY and QQQ, because I don't end up with wide bid/ ask or other issues like NVDA being held down (to kill premium).

I rarely do 0dte b/c the premium burn kills you unless it's a very quick scalp or a tiny lotto. I go out about a week and out of the money.

I also chart VIX in the morning after the first hour to see if I can pick up on a trend (wedge, megaphone, channel, etc.). Then if I see VIX bounce off my trend lines I know I'm onto something. I'll post a chart after the morning shakeout if I notice something.

also the 2nd morning dip has been very trade-able lately, not saying it always will. Look for the W and ideally 2nd dip has a higher low.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Have you positioned yourself bearish? Or significantly derisked and in cash? Or just trading as normal but being aware of significant downside risk?
Irish 2.0

Post removed:
by user
Triple_Bagger
aggiedaniel06 said:

The other other form of tightening is balance sheet reduction. I think the Federal Reserve is going to reduce their balance sheet at an aggressive rate. I don't expect a 50bps rate hike in March.
ProgN
Pfizer expects $54 billion in 2022 sales on Covid vaccine and treatment pill

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/08/covid-pfizer-pfe-earnings-q4-2021.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

All about the Benjamins.
ProgN
Peloton slashes full-year revenue outlook to $3.7 billion to $3.8 billion from $4.4 billion to $4.8 billion

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/08/peloton-slashes-full-year-revenue-outlook-to-3point7-billion-to-3point8-billion-from-4point4-billion-to-4point8-billion.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard
ProgN
Oil giant BP reports highest profit in 8 years on soaring commodity prices

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/08/bp-earnings-q4-2021.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

IIRC, Gougler works for BP. You getting a fat raise and bonus this year?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
None of my PTON put flies filled yesterday.
ProgN
Bob Knights Liver said:

It was down almost 3 earlier this morning
Irish 2.0
Bob Knights Liver said:

You should be glad they didn't. Everything PTON did was stuff that needed to be done and was what the street was screaming for. PTON just made themselves an even better buyout candidate. I actually think this could start a decent squeeze on PTON
gougler08
AG
ProgN said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/08/bp-earnings-q4-2021.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

I'm at SHEL (cause we can't be Dutch anymore), but yes...very good bonus this year. Merit raise data comes out next week I believe but I'd expect that to be pretty good too, especially seeing as we got 0 raise or bonus last year
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Yeah but I really wanted to get those $18 on the craps table in the market.
sts7049
AG
gougler08 said:

ProgN said:

I'm at SHEL (cause we can't be Dutch anymore), but yes...very good bonus this year. Merit raise data comes out next week I believe but I'd expect that to be pretty good too, especially seeing as we got 0 raise or bonus last year
yea, its a very good year this year
McInnis 03
AG
Did pton report early? Thought they were after close today?
First Page Last Page
Page 4992 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.