Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,054,669 Views | 231689 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
lobwedgephil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They hammered XLE with deep in the money calls end of day, which is nice for many here.
mazag08
AG
ProgN said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Anyone on here trade through 2008?
Yep, started in '95. Experienced the dot com bubble and implosion. You could have named your company "Company is a fraud and will never make money", but if you added ".com" to it then it'd spike 3 fold or more when you went public.

One thing I have done is my research. The dotcom implosion was actually the beginning of a 10 year bear cycle ending in the Great Recession. Once you see that those 10 years were a 3 wave correction of a very long term bull cycle, and then the steep trajectory ever since is because we're in the final stage of the long term bull cycle, you start to realize where we are today.
irish pete ag06
AG
So I've been trying to trade based on key levels using call and put triggers and support and resistance as targets.

It's non-biased trading. Seems like in a bear market, lots of $ to be made unbiased using options to the downside.

jj9000
AG
I was around during the dot com and housing crises. I distinctly remember the S&P going to triple digits. I remember when Lehman fell. It's kind of interesting to use both of those time periods as backdrops when the S&P drops 2-3% in a day, and folks are talking about the S&P tanking.

If and when we enter into another period like the above, there will be no BTD talk. There will be talk about destroyed accounts, and those that hadn't already fled for safety will be talking about not wanting to invest the next $1 into a Market that they believe will turn into $.20 in the next month.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I see lots of talk about extreme bearishness. In 2009 SPX traded at 666 and DJX lost about half its value from the peak at the time, 14K. I remember thinking "wow 14 thousand" before it happened.

A bull cycle ending does not mean that a major bear of all bear cycles is what's next. It is quite possible that we are in a lower market position than now a year from today, but we may also generally tend to trade sideways for a couple of years. There will be opportunities but it will not be as easy as having a downward bias. Shorting is harder because equity markets are designed to always go up.

Keep in mind that strong individual stocks will always out perform, regardless of market conditions.

In 2008, Walmart, Family Dollar, and Amgen were all positive and up on the year.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
You guys all know the buy and sell signals by now, and you definitely know that the point isn't to bottom or top tick

1) buy at -3 ATR (especially on the weekly) when a reversal begins to take effect. Set your stop at loss of the low. This is how you manage risk. Sell or trail stop at +3

2) cash is a position. Position size effectively. For trading stock, use a 10% stop loss. For long term holds, you decide

3) buy stocks in an uptrend. Sell stocks in a down trend. There's no need to be contrarian. Go with the flow

4) volume volume volume. It's always a bull market somewhere
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft are not going out of business.

Neither are Berkshire, Walmart, Target, Verizon, Amgen, JP Morgan, Southwest Airlines, and Disney

Dopamine always has a market. The future is AI, robotics, and rare earth metals. Banking and financial services will always survive.
cageybee77
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

You guys all know the buy and sell signals by now, and you definitely know that the point isn't to bottom or top tick

1) buy at -3 ATR (especially on the weekly) when a reversal begins to take effect. Set your stop at loss of the low. This is how you manage risk. Sell or trail stop at +3

2) cash is a position. Position size effectively. For trading stock, use a 10% stop loss. For long term holds, you decide

3) buy stocks in an uptrend. Sell stocks in a down trend. There's no need to be contrarian. Go with the flow

Depending on the size of the investment, it could take real balls to set a stop-loss at 10%.....but I think that's the right number based on my limited experience. It wouldn't mean anything coming from me, but leaving your money in a stock that's trading sideways or worse for months at a time is not good.....cash would be better - especially in this market.
Brewmaster
AG

Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft are not going out of business.

Neither are Berkshire, Walmart, Target, Verizon, Amgen, JP Morgan, Southwest Airlines, and Disney

Dopamine always has a market. The future is AI, robotics, and rare earth metals. Banking and financial services will always survive.
money will be rotating back into banks bigly in the next couple weeks (with 3 rate hikes coming next year).

sage advice as always 30k! enjoy your weekend
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
cageybee77 said:

Depending on the size of the investment, it could take real balls to set a stop-loss at 10%.....but I think that's the right number based on my limited experience. It wouldn't mean anything coming from me, but leaving your money in a stock that's trading sideways or worse for months at a time is not good.....cash would be better - especially in this market.

A 10% position with a 10% stop loss is 1%
BaylorSpineGuy
Looks like WIX finally has found a bottom. Down more than 50% from earlier year highs and looks like making higher highs and higher lows now on decent volume.

Could consider going long here.
Brewmaster
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

So I've been trying to trade based on key levels using call and put triggers and support and resistance as targets.

It's non-biased trading. Seems like in a bear market, lots of $ to be made unbiased using options to the downside.

especially if volatility sticks around a while. These violent swings are great for scalping. On Friday I watched VIX and QQQ simultaneously and went 2 for 3 on scalps. 3rd time I should've played a put seeing the rounding formation it was making, but live and learn (tight stop, small loss). Still did 18% positive avg on the 3.
SF2004
AG

Is there a way to filter out stocks that are -3 ATR on different charts?

Maybe I am a dum dum but I haven't been able to figure out how to find these with out looking at all the individual charts themselves.
mazag08
AG
SF2004 said:

Is there a way to filter out stocks that are -3 ATR on different charts?

Maybe I am a dum dum but I haven't been able to figure out how to find these with out looking at all the individual charts themselves.

You'd probably have to write a thinkscript or something similar. And I'm a Neanderthal at that stuff.
McInnis 03
AG
I have shared a -3 ATR script in this thread.

I'm only on mobile for the next 5 days or i'd share it again. I'll see if I can dig it up
McInnis 03
AG
I THINK this is it. I can't be sure from phone

http://tos.mx/4MfE3Pb

I think this limits to stocks above the 200day ema
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I will post it tonight or tomorrow (the one McInnis made).

There's got to be a developer here that would make scans and indicators on TOS.
Dan Scott
AG
FUBO could be fun Monday with Disney channels now of of YouTubeTV
spud1910
AG
McInnis 03 said:

I THINK this is it. I can't be sure from phone

http://tos.mx/4MfE3Pb

I think this limits to stocks above the 200day ema

Thanks. I still can't get it to open.
Philip J Fry
AG
Made the mistake of looking at my 401k performance. Holy correction Batman. CPOAX is on its way to undo all my 2020 gains.
gougler08
AG
Anyone looking at UPST? Just filled a gap from a while back on the daily and a big upside gap lingering…not sure what cause the huge beat down though?
gougler08
AG
Also, I like UBER and MSFT short term calls if it shows continuation tomorrow off the engulfing and hammer technical respectively
ProgN
Morning gang, have y'all seen the Christmas commercial? If not, press play.

azul_rain
Solid commercial
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AMC may continue tearing tomorrow with the massive Spider-Man opening.
FJ43
ProgN said:

Mrs FJ and I both completely teared up.

Can't imagine life without my better half.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Ags2013
AG
ProgN said:

Casually sitting in my living room crying.
McInnis 03
AG
ProgN said:

Watched it. Didn't cry. Glad they stopped the shoot before the car stalled on the railroad tracks and got train exploded with the dog stuck in the back seat.
FJ43
At least 1 of the 3 of you cried.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

McInnis 03
AG
Yowza, /UB (bond) open, rally city
azul_rain
It was a nice attempt, not a fan of chevy or American motor companies so it distracted from the video
Dan Scott
AG
Futures came out strong then reversed hard.
BaylorSpineGuy
They're showing video of old cars cause no new cars chips shortages and all.
BaylorSpineGuy
Serious conversation: Is Biden gonna kill the market on Tuesday? Talk of death and despair?

The fact they are announcing this talk 3-4 days in advance suggests it's gonna be a major talk. What is gonna happen? Need to watch option flow for SPY Monday? Hoping for a relief bounce tomorrow so I can sell some of the calls on swinging, then prepare for carnage.
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Serious conversation: Is Biden gonna kill the market on Tuesday? Talk of death and despair?

The fact they are announcing this talk 3-4 days in advance suggests it's gonna be a major talk. What is gonna happen? Need to watch option flow for SPY Monday? Hoping for a relief bounce tomorrow so I can sell some of the calls on swinging, then prepare for carnage.
The market will assume the worst, overreact, and then probably rally. It might get ugly tomorrow, but unless you're on margin, then you should just weather the storm. Even if he mumbles about locking down the US, he can't force states to comply. Florida will be the first to tell him to ****off and other red states will right after that.
First Page Last Page
Page 4755 of 6620

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.