Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,953,915 Views | 231497 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by permabull
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
62strat said:

agdaddy04 said:

I guess it's a lot easier to not need a split now the way retail purchases. In the past, didn't you have to buy in lots of 100?
Fractional shares are a thing now, but 100 shares min? I've never seen that in my investing life (~10 years)

I bought 20 amzn back in 2016, never sold any, don't plan to until retirement.
Talking early 2000's in my experience with Edward Jones.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'd lke to hear your restoration hardware story. Everybody's hard the story about how the Stanfords decided to start a university (believe the story is fake). I don't think anyone in sales of any kind makes it very long by passing judgment.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Long story short, I was going to buy a leather sofa and I went into restoration hardware. The floor sales rep didn't want to help me and kept going to other customers. When she finally came around to me, she asked if I could afford to buy it or if I was wasting her time, and that there were more affordable places elsewhere. I would have bought it then and there but after that, obviously not. It really put me off on the place.
Brewmaster
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

BREwmaster said:

The Russell may be a solid dip buy. I actually really love buying from this area.

The 8 is above the 21 and the index closed right on the 21. Such an easy trade from here. Buy on some strength, stop loss at 21.
IWM Dec verticals? I think seasonally this is a great play too.
I think OTM verticals could work great.

240/260 call verticals are $2.81 (right now). I love those 1:7 risk to reward type of scenarios.
JbKing45
Trying to decide if I double down on $Wwr or wait until it hits $2. Are they going to announce 20 more MOU's in the next month?
jwhitlock3
I had the same thought!
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Same here 30K.

The last straw.

1993 Talbot's announced they were going IPO. My wife spent her check there and I knew their products were good and had a really good clientele. Called my Merrill Ft Worth broker. Told him I wanted 300 shares of Talbot's as they were going IPO. He said hang on. Put me on hold. Came back online and said, buddy you're at the top of the list on this one, in fact no one here in the office has ever heard of it. I said fine, 300 shares, got it? He said yep no problem.

About 2 or 3 months later the IPO happened. I called my Merrill broker and asked where did I get my fill? He says, you know, since we talked there's been a lot of interest in this stock. Our office was only able to get 1,500 shares. I said great! He said, well, we have some larger customers and they wanted Talbot's shares too. There's just not enough to go around. I asked, are you telling me I didn't get my order filled and he said yes, unfortunately. I said shoot. Maybe next time.

Next day, I sold everything in my account.

The day after, I told the mfer to mail me a check. I had zero faith in him and zero trust in ML. Told him - never tell a client they are first on the list if you can't deliver. Small clients will never become large clients within ML's process standards. Started with ML in 1983, ended 1993. Closed my account and started with Fidelity.
gig em 02
Fidelity wanted your business so bad they built a massive regional headquarters near Fort Worth! Now THATS customer service!
<laugh/cry emoticon>
Ragoo
AG
That sucks. My grandfather worked at Merrill until the early '90s when he retired. Think he worked there from '65ish onward.
frankm01
I bleed maroon said:

62strat said:

agdaddy04 said:

I guess it's a lot easier to not need a split now the way retail purchases. In the past, didn't you have to buy in lots of 100?
Fractional shares are a thing now, but 100 shares min? I've never seen that in my investing life (~10 years)

I bought 20 amzn back in 2016, never sold any, don't plan to until retirement.
Odd lots (purchases/sells in other than increments of 100) used to be non-starters with most brokers, up until 15-20 years ago. I seem to recall they eased up on it about when they quit trading in 1/8ths. That brings back old memories of $50-100 commissions per trade, wide bid/ask spreads with poor execution, and a whole host of retail investor-unfriendly measures. As bad as the current Robinhood and meme stock culture trends are, it was a lot worse back when individuals had no power at all. Democratization is messy, but it beats the alternative!
Yeah, I remember those days. Bought my first shares of stock sometime in the early 1980's. Eastern Airlines (my employer at the time) was selling for something around 8 1/8. Had to call some random brokerage, put in my order (for what price, I didn't know) plus some stupid commission. Had to look in the newspapers every day to see what yesterdays close price was. They actually mailed me the stock certificates. It had to be in 100 block shares at that time. Then had to reverse this whole thing to sell a few months later. After commissions, I don't even think I made much money.

All that to say it is soooo much easier now.
ProgN
Ragoo said:

That sucks. My grandfather worked at Merrill until the early '90s when he retired. Think he worked there from '65ish onward.
During his era, ML was the best, unless you had enough money for GS. The market went through a massive transformation in the late 90's. I can guarantee that he'd want no part of that, he had a great career and couldn't have exited at any better time.
Ragoo
AG
Sadly he passed in 2007 while I was at tamu.
Brewmaster
AG
jwhitlock3 said:

I had the same thought!
haha, cheers brother...

found this interesting, for those in AAPL:
TLDR version: HP has a target of 163, 159 and 161 are softer targets. Amazing... probably explains flow even this afternoon on it.

BaylorSpineGuy
Someone was looking earlier today for some good puts/calls strategy?

30K can weigh in, but TSM is at top of its nearly 1 yr long channel. If it fails to break out of it, it's likely back toward 108 again. Maybe good to sell a put or put spread 2 months out? Or sell naked calls if you have the money for it.
ProgN
Ragoo said:

Sadly he passed in 2007 while I was at tamu.
Sorry about that, but I would have loved to pick his brain because experience is the most valuable skill when it comes to the market. I was in the industry during the late 90's during that transformation and if we could ask him now, I'm confident he'd say he was happy getting out before that *****
Brewmaster
AG
sorry last one, RTY: (Russell muscle)

6 month darvis box... looks bullish:

Ragoo
AG
You and me both. As a kid I spent a lot of time at their house. He would tape, vcr, the daily ticker and at 4 pm sit in his chair drinking his coffee to check the close of all his positions. Then go back to his office and write them down on his ledger and add it to his chart. By hand. I wish I could have had time with him as an adult to discuss his method and general investment knowledge.

I miss him dearly still.
Ragoo said:

In hedging company positions, we used ML and Drexel Burnham Lambert. ML Chicago Commodities Office was top shelf.

In personal business, ML FtW was crap for me. ML Houston and Lubbock were client focused.

The FtW office was a very bad experience for me. Many issues.

There was an Asian gal assigned to me in ML Lubbock. I have no idea where she is or if she's alive, but she was one very smart advisor. Missed opportunity, but I didn't know the questions to ask back then. I was too young and stuck on my own strategy.
ProgN
Ragoo said:

You and me both. As a kid I spent a lot of time at their house. He would tape, vcr, the daily ticker and at 4 pm sit in his chair drinking his coffee to check the close of all his positions. Then go back to his office and write them down on his ledger and add it to his chart. By hand. I wish I could have had time with him as an adult to discuss his method and general investment knowledge.

I miss him dearly still.
Don't have regrets brother, he cherished his time with you growing up. Both of my Grandfathers died before I was born, so you had something that others will never know. I can confidently say that he's proud of the investor/trader that you've become and is proud of the journey that you're on.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Wild. Can't help but think she would have been fired on the spot if you'd asked for a manager and told the story. Probably would have gotten a solid discount on the sofa for your trouble as well.
Shame too...RH has some pretty beautiful couches
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
NRD09 said:

Wild. Can't help but think she would have been fired on the spot if you'd asked for a manager and told the story. Probably would have gotten a solid discount on the sofa for your trouble as well.

Yes. I was less sure of myself back in the day. I would lose my **** now and get the CEO on the phone.
irish pete ag06
AG
59 South said:

Ragoo said:

Not sure why y'all insist on trading these small cap companies.
same with bios and penny stocks... risk/reward is usually never there. I dabble in them all occasionally but keep position sizes in check and always keep in mind they are heroes or zeroes with the overwhelming odds on favourite being zero.

Also don't get down on yourselves, this happens to every trader, investor and all things in between. It's like a good colon cleansing. Get out the bad stuff and start eating better.

Ok enough of my old man ranting and yelling at the clouds... I'll shut up now.
Same... when I first got into this I follow traded some of these small craps into my IRA. The one I loaded heaviest is CLOV. It's my biggest bag and it's in my ROTH IRA. At this point, I'm just gonna hold it and hope for another wall street bets run.

The one freaking time it did run with wall street bets I sold covered calls so missed out on selling it during the spike. Its just been one brutal absolute ass kicking from CLOV.

The last few months I've almost exclusively switched to trading large caps. It's been so much better. Wish I had never heard of CLOV and all the other ones... WISH, LOTZ, DPW... all bull **** that gets front loaded by FINTWIT kings then dumped on the sheeple that follow them into it. Atlas is the world's worst. Straight scum.

Edit to say that options on large caps gives you the same types of returns that people want in small caps...
FJ43

p.s. don't convert to being Elliot Wavers.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

irish pete ag06
AG

I am buying shares of CLOV.
Hey... is it too much to ask for you to buy around 40-50 million?
JbKing45
Has anyone been playing $gphof? It seems to be on a tear.
ProgN
Futures going even higher, this is insane. I'm not advocating buying puts in front of this runaway train, but this market is WAY overheated. Just don't chase and let FOMO talk you into trying to catch a wave. I'd suggest raising cash in your trading accounts or booking some profits in IRA's, at least look to hedge yourselves. We're swimming in a bubble and having a stash of cash will be advantageous in the near future.
ProgN
FJ43 said:

Is this you when shorts hit your trades?
cjo03
AG
NRD09 said:

I was RH-free for the first 15 years of marriage. But via mrs cjo the RH couches got me in August. Price of 2 couches would have probably put my youngest through college.

Can't complain about the service - they were top notch for us. But I will complain about the price for the next 15 years of marriage. And then the 15 years after that if she doesn't leave me first.
FJ43
ProgN said:

FJ43 said:

Exactly!

On a more serious note.....Been continuing to pray for you and your mom every morning at 3:45am brother. Hope y'all are feeling it.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Brewmaster
AG

and there was flow on these names today. Only one I'd add is SHOP.
wanderer
ProgN said:

Futures going even higher, this is insane. I'm not advocating buying puts in front of this runaway train, but this market is WAY overheated. Just don't chase and let FOMO talk you into trying to catch a wave. I'd suggest raising cash in your trading accounts or booking some profits in IRA's, at least look to hedge yourselves. We're swimming in a bubble and having a stash of cash will be advantageous in the near future.
Profits?? What if your account is at a multi-month low?

-Signed,
Small-cap bag holder
ProgN
FJ43 said:

ProgN said:

FJ43 said:

Exactly!

On a more serious note.....Been continuing to pray for you and your mom every morning at 3:45am brother. Hope y'all are feeling it.
Thank you brother! Now that my sister has been laid to rest, Mom is getting stronger everyday. Your Mom remains in my daily prayers since the day you first posted about her. Thanks man.
irish pete ag06
AG

Thinking Ebay is ready for a big move up sometime in the next 2 weeks. It has bounced off this trend line pretty hard each time and volume is picking up a little.

It sold off after a decent earnings report and has been winding up tight since then. I'm looking to scalp it tomorrow off the inside day, but I'm also looking to go long on ebay looking at the DEC monthly 77.5 C.
ProgN
wanderer said:

ProgN said:

Profits?? What if your account is at a multi-month low?

-Signed,
Small-cap bag holder
I have no advice because I don't trade small caps. I'm not in any of the ones that have been posted, not because they're bad, I've just lost more than I've made through the years with them. That's why I don't give a TA opinion on them. That wouldn't be right because I don't have my own money on the line. I want everyone here to ring the register and get paid and I'll cheer your success, but they're just not in my comfort zone.
First Page Last Page
Page 4666 of 6615

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.