Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,044,793 Views | 231655 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I have obsessive personality. There's only one way into neurosurgery…..and it ain't by giving half effort.

I talk history, science, anatomy, stocks, literature, Spanish (my college major), and any number of things.

But yes, I definitely love a good chat about stocks. Usually while listening to Eric Clapton, Texas Country, or 90s hip-hop. Lol
How did you know or what made you want to pursue neuro sciences?
BaylorSpineGuy
My neighbor and mentor growing up was neurosurgeon. He and my dad are best friends. My dad is retired from a career in IT.

But when I was in med school in Houston, my mentor was a Peds Neurosurgeon. Just so happened to be an Aggie. One of the best dudes I've ever known. Total bad-A. Would do anything for the guy.

Am curious….do all the folks active on this board meet at tailgates or socialize at your football games?

lobwedgephil
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Can't hear you down there. I'm orbiting space. Moon landing soon.

Got up 25 cents AH, now up 21 cents.
Probably 30k's small, webull account.

wanderer
We always meet at the ninth green at 9 o'clock. And BaylorSpineGuy.....dress nice....
One more day of summer left for me. Outdoors projects again tomorrow. Not near a screen.

I thought today would be greenish, but red prevailed. Are we back to a market reacting normally to bad news?

I don't know a lot about OMF as I just entered this stock 30 or 60 days ago on a dividend play. I noticed the November Options look pricey versus the underlying. Might be a play here for someone. I own the shares and covered calls against them. Options prices have appreciated a lot since I sold the calls a few days back and the shares have remained basically unchanged (nominal range) while the Options showing strength.

Anybody got a prediction on how low AMZN will go in next 5 days?

BTI shares should be higher tomorrow and likely at its nearest peak prior to EX-DIV on 10/1. Early morning tomorrow I'll likely enter orders to sell Calls against my shares. Looking at Nov 19 $40 Calls trying to get something more than 10 cents. For me the Nov Calls are sort of like no-mans-land. It's an in-between period of Div pay out and a month before the next EX-DIV date and that translates to low chance period of losing your shares. If I lose them, so be it. I'll just rebuy. Just don't need the additional exercise hassle to replace. ... Yeah, I'm lazy.

ETA: BTI shares should be higher tomorrow and likely at its nearest peak prior to EX-DIV on 10/1. = I'm thinking close to $37.50 per share.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
OK, this is tough trading. VIX spike and major sell-off.

Some notables:
  • touched -2 on NQ; -1.5 on ES; the mean on RTY; -1 on YM
  • Bond yields are going ape because of tapering. They will calm down when the fed gives accommodative language. Sort of a mini taper tantrum. I think this drove the Nasdaq today, primarily
  • VIX had a spike today because it had to. A 2% down day will do that
  • It is *highly* unlikely that the US will default on its debt, but it is not a 0% possibility. Look for some positive language from Washington tomorrow
  • The market is reflective of sentiment and emotion; don't forget that

Now for some charts:

First one is $NDX. In my arrogance, I didn't draw support and resistance low enough. Purple line is newborn support (we closed on it today). There is good support at 14720 and good support at 14600 area. Remember that we now have a gap above. I'd be surprised if we didn't fill part of it tomorrow. I am expecting tomorrow to be an up day, at least intra day.

Second one is $SPY. I added the newborn support. I'd generally be willing to be long provided we stay above yesterday's (today's) LOD. Markets don't move linearly. Definitely an "H" pattern on the daily.

Last one is bonds. This is a huge move down (if yields are up, bond prices are down) and it is bouncing off of -3 ATR. I think this needs a retracement move. Currently, this looks like a tweezer bottom, if it holds. The night will be interesting, for sure.

You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
BaylorSpineGuy said:

My neighbor and mentor growing up was neurosurgeon. He and my dad are best friends. My dad is retired from a career in IT.

But when I was in med school in Houston, my mentor was a Peds Neurosurgeon. Just so happened to be an Aggie. One of the best dudes I've ever known. Total bad-A. Would do anything for the guy.

Am curious….do all the folks active on this board meet at tailgates or socialize at your football games?

Thanks!

My son has been neuro sciences focused for some years. Basically, as the years progressed his neuro interest has broadened and deepened. He graduates high school this year and his college choices have some relation to those schools with a medical system associated or one with a relationship with a specific university. I'm not exactly sure where he'll decide to go; regardless, I believe he's headed to the neuro route eventually. I appreciate your answer and I know everyone is different. It made me curious how you arrived at what you did. I'm not sure what stemmed my son's interest in this field outside of working in an area with something that is not entirely understood at this point - neuro science. I'm pretty sure he's moving that direction career-wise.

Don't know if this group of folks tailgate or socialize, but I'd like to meet y'all sometime. I'll be back in TX in early Nov but I'm booked on business. Then probably back in June '22.

Thanks again!
FJ43

Mornun!

US = Green
EU = Green
Asia = Red

VIX is down slightly but we need back below 20 to do some good. May sell those puts picked up at close and take the 30-40% then just buy back.

IMO careful for dead cat bounces today....we are in month & quarter end here so I would expect some shenanigans. If weekly plays may be best using next Friday on calls.

No two ways about it ES & NQ in precarious corrective phases here.

But.....

Trade wisely!

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

FJ43
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

One more day of summer left for me. Outdoors projects again tomorrow. Not near a screen.

I thought today would be greenish, but red prevailed. Are we back to a market reacting normally to bad news?

I don't know a lot about OMF as I just entered this stock 30 or 60 days ago on a dividend play. I noticed the November Options look pricey versus the underlying. Might be a play here for someone. I own the shares and covered calls against them. Options prices have appreciated a lot since I sold the calls a few days back and the shares have remained basically unchanged (nominal range) while the Options showing strength.

Anybody got a prediction on how low AMZN will go in next 5 days?

BTI shares should be higher tomorrow and likely at its nearest peak prior to EX-DIV on 10/1. Early morning tomorrow I'll likely enter orders to sell Calls against my shares. Looking at Nov 19 $40 Calls trying to get something more than 10 cents. For me the Nov Calls are sort of like no-mans-land. It's an in-between period of Div pay out and a month before the next EX-DIV date and that translates to low chance period of losing your shares. If I lose them, so be it. I'll just rebuy. Just don't need the additional exercise hassle to replace. ... Yeah, I'm lazy.

ETA: BTI shares should be higher tomorrow and likely at its nearest peak prior to EX-DIV on 10/1. = I'm thinking close to $37.50 per share.
Mornun!

I took a look at AMZN and man tough spot here.

• The 'yellow' colored channel is a range its had a hard time getting and staying above.
  • Added volume shelf for visual reference.
  • Touched 200EMA yesterday and back into the low end of that channel which is also low end of major shelf.
  • Below 3185ish range IMO and whoops.....

Maybe we see what happens at the trend line but won't surprise me to touch that with rate increases....

Earnings coming up on 28th I think so maybe it holds this range until then.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43

RGS touched $4.80 early premarket.

$4.55 now.....

BaylorSpineGuy
GREE up to shenanigans as well. Posted last night but may have gotten missed.

Watch out on AMZN. Classic H&S with volume supporting the trend. Agree, below 3200ish, it has a long ways to fall.
Got it! Thanks!
mazag08
AG
I think today, and the rest of the week frankly, are pivotal.

The Russell has been in this sideways channel ever since forming its top earlier this year. In EW, the fibs line up that the top was the 3rd wave and we've been in the 4th wave, which is almost always the most turbulent wave.

At the same time, the S&P has kept going up and up and up. We know we've been due a 4th wave for a couple months now. Every time we thought it was starting, it corrected back up. Well, we're definitely in 4 now. What we experienced last week and early Monday was the "b" wave bounce of 4, which can sometimes feel impulsive and make you think the pain is over. But I don't think the pain is over. We still have the c wave which can either be 5 waves down or an ending diagonal.

All that said, it really seems like the Russel got out ahead of the S&P. That's why this year has sucked for small caps. It's been waiting for S&P to catch up. Now that S&P is looking for a bottom and a reversal, Russel looks to have formed an impulsive 5 waves up. I'm not 100% sure, but it would appear the Russel has started what should be a very lucrative and big wave 5 pointing toward 3000 and S&P will follow pointing toward 4900-5100.

We shall see.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

One last item,....

Ag commodities (my career) we are in what the industry calls "gut-slot harvest" as producers deliver grains (beans a bit later in the season) to the elevators. Elevator bids to producers should be at their lowest right now. It's supply versus demand. Well, throughout the Midwest, yesterday was some record bidding taking place at elevators. Happened last year too. This is 180 degrees different than what normally should happen. Again, cash bids should be at there lowest point right now and they aren't, hitting some highs of the year. The commodity futures markets are not reflecting what is taking place in the cash markets. It's like the futures markets don't care and/or are suppressed.

At some point, boutique brewery's and pasta makers to major commercial soybean processing plants and grain elevators etc. will be bidding up for ag goods and talking about it in the press. The futures market will need to suddenly wake up. Will New York money go to Chicago? I don't know. Fundamentals say commodities should scream...pretty soon. If you think you're seeing food inflation now, I'd project it will be much worse over the next 12 months. Farmer's household food expenditures are up 5.79% (Jan to present versus last year)...probably related to JPOWELL's transitory inflation (sarcasm). Durum wheat (pasta wheat) availability along with most other quality milling bread wheats are tough to source. Lentils and chick peas and other staples experiencing difficulty too. If you're a pasta eater, buying a couple extra bags or boxes wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not saying tank-up, but having a bit more pantry inventory then normal is not a bad thing. When a Kraft Mac & Cheese box triples or quadruples in price, there will be some angry folks.

My favorite beef cut is the Tomahawk steak, generally 3 lbs, in July the typical price was $38 today it's $52 in my marketplace. I know, I know, it's a first-world problem, but steak to hamburger is on an incline. Pork and chicken are reasonable, red meat is on the upward trend and been so for a while.

USDA pulled a stunt last week. I'll spare the long, short of the matter, they up'ed the supply side on corn in a problem year. USDA numbers aren't accurate, hell they are still correcting last years numbers. If they are trying to suppress prices to flatten inflation it doesn't work. The cash market will determine that point and right now it says commodities are tight, regardless what the futures markets reflect.

This is probably my only case to see a setback in the stock market before year end should money leave New York and head to Chicago...this or a financial disaster in China.
Okay when ProgN takes notice to a 10 year high in cotton - I take notice.

Way earlier this year the thread had discussion on Bunge (BG), Mosaic (MOS) and others. I had a buddy that was long these 2 and was looking to increase his long come JAS'21. Well,....I think the time has come.

Fertilizer prices are going higher and they already took a major jump in the last 3 months. Last week I bought all my lawn needs for next year (Yeah I do my own lawn. Being retired I have to make those degrees continue to be useful!) My cousin who farms the family estate has us locked-in price-wise for the coming year and suppliers told him there were no guarantees on actual delivery,...gotta love that! And, since I posted the above information (9/16), commodity prices are starting to heat up, finally.

MOS should rally based on current inputs and information in the link below.

BG should rally as financially strapped producers shift acres from corn to soybeans. Beans are a nitrogen fixating plant and can function with lower levels of commercial fertilizer keeping input costs down, but lots of beans available at harvest next year can suppress bean prices. May not net the maximum profit per acre, but keeps you in the farming game another year. So, what's the lesser of 2 evils, buy expensive fert and plant corn or reduce your fert bill and plant beans (?). Corn prices will move higher and likely bean prices tag along but not leading the way as corn will. BG can hedge themselves into a profit. Greg Heckman, BG CEO, and I were trading adversaries as young pups - he knows what he is doing. I won more trades then he did, but hey, he's CEO...and I'm retired, so there's that! Solid leadership with Greg.

https://www.agweb.com/news/crops/crop-production/fertilizer-prices-soar-near-2008-highs-supply-shocks-concerns-sprout

Anyway, BG and MOS look like solid adds to a portfolio (shares or options) based on fundamentals in the marketplace and the future 12 month outlook.

PS: Family Estate - I want to start growing houses. (JPOWELL I'm talking to you, keep interest rates low, please) Developer says the Home Place farm looks like bingo. We'll see - fingers-crossed. Had enough of corn, milo, wheat and cotton and riding the commodity price waves from feast to famine.

Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I purchased 50 shares or so of VDE today. It was cash that probably could have been used to average down more on WWR but felt like we are bout to see gas prices pop higher and I'm a sucker for the O&G.
cageybee77
AG
VDI?
FJ43
Red Pear Luke said:

I purchased 50 shares or so of VDI today. It was cash that probably could have been used to average down more on WWR but felt like we are bout to see gas prices pop higher and I'm a sucker for the O&G.
Not seeing that symbol? VDI

austinAG90
AG
Wednesday Macros....

Mild Reversal Of Yesterday's Losses.... Will They Be Sustained?... Probably Not

We watched the treasury market trade last night in Tokyo... First they attempted to break yesterday's highs of 1.04 5 years, 1.56 10 years and 2.11 long bonds... Got right to those levels and did not go further... Quickly rising rates are not good for risk, especially for the long duration Nasdaq stocks, which we clearly saw yesterday... Now treasuries are back 5 basis from the high yields of last night and yesterday.... Equity futures are higher, but we doubt it will last...Equity corrections yesterday from the September highs were only 4.4% S+P and and a little over 5% for the Nasdaq.... We do not think it is over yet...200 day moving averages for both would put corrections closer to 9.2% S+P and 9.6% Nasdaq, respectively. Those are more likely... But we are still very impressed with the demand for corporate credit in both IG and HY.

Treasuries... New ranges... Resistance around 1.46 and first support is the recent high yields of yesterday of 1.56... 1.62 after that... Then 1.70, and then the old high of 1.77 10 years.. After that we start to talk about 2% 10 year... The first time we hit 1.77 in the spring, it was being forced by inflation numbers, which we have said all year were not transitory... The new back off in treasury prices catalyst is clearly because of the new Hawkish Fed and tapering... Convexity selling and liquidation of sloppy longs have helped...This Fed, even without Rosengren and Kaplan, is still very Hawkish... And Rosengren's voting seat for 2022 will be taken by an old Wharton friend , Pat Harker, of the Phillie Fed... So by another Hawk... Kaplan was not a voter until 2023. One other thing worth noting is the slope of the yield curve, 5/30 curve... 94 to 108... A break either way is worth noting... We think steeper is a 'go with' trade.

Corporate spreads were wider yesterday, but very manageable... 12 billion of new issues were priced in IG, concessions moved 22 basis IPT... HY came with 5 issues... And this morning we saw one deal 20x oversubscribed... So an equity correction is still in the cards, but it should be mild.

Lastly China looks uglier every day... Evergrande sold a chunk of a bank they own but none of the proceeds will go to pay bond holders... And articles are still sleuthing to see if China will pay interest on its dollar bonds...Hey guys, these bonds are trading at the low 20s last we looked, they are not going to pay coupons... And the FT has an article on the China Belt and Road Initiative, almost 400 billion of debt is owed to China, exceeding 10% of many countries GDP...

That's it for now... Flew back to NY yesterday... Plane was empty, the opposite of flying out to California the previous week... Airports are empty... In Austin yesterday there was no one in front of us going through security... In NY for a few days and then back to Austin next week....
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
FJ43 said:

Red Pear Luke said:

I purchased 50 shares or so of VDI today. It was cash that probably could have been used to average down more on WWR but felt like we are bout to see gas prices pop higher and I'm a sucker for the O&G.
Not seeing that symbol? VDI
VDE** Sorry yall. Fat fingered before my first cup of coffee.
FJ43

TexasAg2017
AG
Twitter is lit up with talk of RGS this morning.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-energy-crunch-triggers-alarm-pleas-more-coal-2021-09-28/

China having an energy crunch (mostly coal). But think it highlights issues along side Europe and Natural Gas and Britain demanding more Gas cause of panic buying.
zag213004
AG
To the moon ($12 please)
Triple_Bagger
$RGS opening volume is 10x the normal. Exceeded the average daily volume in the first 5-minutes.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Potential resistance around $5.19 in the form of upper BB and a weak pivot on 9/9. After that $5.81-$5.90 is the next resistance.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
ASAN has decent green volume and room to run today. Everybody out of short positions balready?
FTAG 2000
AG
Macro rocket in the last five minutes
Bob Knights Paper Hands
$XM starting out nicely green, but is goin to have to bust through the 50-day here and will need a lot of buyers to get back to $45 and the 5-day.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
VIX is still over 22. Admiral Ackbar cautions you here.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I see $RGS is up. Time to sell calls on it.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
sold $RGS 7.5C for $0.35 Oct 15.

You can't make this stuff up. LOL
FTAG 2000
AG
Tomas Hermensa said:

VIX is still over 22. Admiral Ackbar cautions you here.
For sure.
jwhitlock3
You're planning to sell calls this early? I figured this had a run coming?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Mvis expiring 13.5 calls have a bxa of 0/1, i have bought a few and they keep resetting to 0/1. What causes this?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
jwhitlock3 said:

You're planning to sell calls this early? I figured this had a run coming?

Base hits...
First Page Last Page
Page 4508 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.