Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,044,534 Views | 231655 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Heineken-Ashi
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Made $100 end of day by timing SPY calls at the bottom and selling into close. I'll take it.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I escaped today. whew. -0.6% today
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
TMOOSE
$30,000 Millionaire said:

McInnis 03 said:

I'm following on a swing with teh Oct 1 SPY 441c's. If nothing else, looking for the dead cat, --3 ATR play.
I entered already. Samesies.

AWESOME! Hope you guys made some money, closed over 20% in gains.
mazag08
AG
jj9000 said:

***Obligatory***

We haven't seen these levels on S&P since...

... exactly 2 months ago
The MACD matches, but this drop has been about 240 points and 5.5% dip so far compared to 160 and 3.7% dip two months ago. Two months ago was about a week while this one has already been over half a month. We might have bottomed today, but there is also a chance we see as low as 4270 or so. Either way, this is a different animal than two months ago.
McInnis 03
AG

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
cptthunder
Someone else brought it up early today but I am for sure adding $VALE to the watch list for a confirmed reversal
The option chain all the way out to Nov. seems relatively cheap with $17C going for around 0.25 at close today
The 16C for november also had some big volume today with just over 4500 traded today closing around 0.50
SF2004
AG
McInnis 03 said:

That's great, but how do you know where the stops are?

Seems like rubbish.
mazag08
AG
And if you meant we haven't seen this price since two months ago then I apologize. I figured you were talking about depth of pullback.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Fidelity showing a 1.54 dividend (that's almost 10%!!) with ex date of thurs. Could that be right?
jj9000
AG
SF2004 said:

McInnis 03 said:

The stops are where my entries are. Very end of video.
jj9000
AG
mazag08 said:

And if you meant we haven't seen this price since two months ago then I apologize. I figured you were talking about depth of pullback.
Yes...price...that's why I put ***Obligatory***.

...because we've seen this movie on repeat for the last 18 months.
ProgN
SF2004 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Seems like rubbish.

"Rubbish"? If you start adding "whilst" to your posts then we'll know that you're hanging out with 59 South.
FTAG 2000
AG
NRD09 said:

Fidelity showing a 1.54 dividend (that's almost 10%!!) with ex date of thurs. Could that be right?
Dividend amount is right.

https://api.mziq.com/mzfilemanager/v2/d/53207d1c-63b4-48f1-96b7-19869fae19fe/ab516192-b008-0356-6409-dbc500ec4956?origin=1

Looks like Friday -

Quote:

1. The record date for holders of Vale's shares traded on B3 will be on September 22nd, 2021, and for holders of American Depositary Receipts ("ADRs") traded on the New York Stock Exchange ("NYSE") will be on September 24th, 2021.

mazag08
AG
jj9000 said:

mazag08 said:

Can you expand on that? Saying we've seen this on repeat means that we've been at this level numerous times and I'm just not seeing that.
OutlawAG04
This is almost verbatim to the only trade I made today.
jj9000
AG
mazag08 said:

jj9000 said:

mazag08 said:

Can you expand on that? Saying we've seen this on repeat means that we've been at this level numerous times and I'm just not seeing that.

Sure.

Chart 3/21/2020 - Today.

The journey from ~2,300 to ~4,500 over the last ~18 months has had multiple smallish pull-backs...all of which have been gobbled up by intense buying on top of buying. That's why it's been on repeat.

So...when the market goes Red for a brief period...someone (including myself) has put out a reminder that "we haven't seen this level since ________."

The _______ time period has always been a relatively recent date.

mazag08
AG
I gocha.
cptthunder
Johnsongrass Farmer
Any views on were VALE sits right now with respect to the dividend ex-date coming up this week?
Ive seen some really good insight from you on the dividend side of things
cageybee77
AG
AG 2000' said:

NRD09 said:

Dividend amount is right.

https://api.mziq.com/mzfilemanager/v2/d/53207d1c-63b4-48f1-96b7-19869fae19fe/ab516192-b008-0356-6409-dbc500ec4956?origin=1

Looks like Friday -

Quote:

1. The record date for holders of Vale's shares traded on B3 will be on September 22nd, 2021, and for holders of American Depositary Receipts ("ADRs") traded on the New York Stock Exchange ("NYSE") will be on September 24th, 2021.

according to Fidelity, you must be an owner of the stock on Wednesday to receive the dividend. the RECORD date is Friday. So, I guess I need to buy by Wednesday? ....and not sell before Thursday
BaylorSpineGuy
Anyone else thinking about puts or shorts on AAL? In keeping with the good news is bad news and vice versa, shouldn't COVID restriction loosening be a false sense.

Are the feds trying to cover because airlines are about to feel a major burn? I have nothing to support this theory l, but I just had this thought today.
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Anyone else thinking about puts or shorts on AAL? In keeping with the good news is bad news and vice versa, shouldn't COVID restriction loosening be a false sense.

Are the feds trying to cover because airlines are about to feel a major burn? I have nothing to support this theory l, but I just had this thought today.
This is a strange/dangerous time to be trying to predict the market and individual stocks. Based on your posts a week ago, you stated that you don't have the time to follow it all day. You're a grown ass man so I'm not lecturing you. I just don't want you to lose a lot of money and give up on the market. JMO
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I kept that SPY chart updated. I used it for trading today.

Yellow lines are support/resistance adds from today. The one at $434.04 is new born support with today's close. Tomorrow will not be dull given the type of daily candle we are having. AH closed around 435.50, which is above today's open, but not above today's high of day, around 436.50. Ironically, that's about where the gap fill starts. Above 436.50, I am bullish for gap fill. 435.60 is resistance, so we'll need to see how it does.

Note: futures are slightly above the AH close for SPY, but have not yet approached today's cash session high, which is 4371. Including last night's futures, the session high was 4417 on /ES

• Gap down: people will get scared and start liquidating
  • Gap up: we start to fill the gap to the upside

Irish 2.0
If we gap up, I think it'll be a trap on the longs. I'd be very weary of doing anything in the first hour of tomorrow's session.
ProgN
Irish 2.0 said:

If we gap up, I think it'll be a trap on the longs. I'd be very weary of doing anything in the first hour of tomorrow's session.
Agreed, if we open green then I'll probably take out put positions at 9 am.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
cptthunder said:

Johnsongrass Farmer
Any views on were VALE sits right now with respect to the dividend ex-date coming up this week?
I know nothing about this company, but check this link out for consistency of dividends and payment periods. Looks like they average one dividend period per 6 months. Not much consistency, but read on..

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/vale/dividend-history

Reading the Shareholder Communication someone posted earlier - Next, I found the Ex-Div Date of Sep 23rd interesting because the Date of Record is usually the next day; however, for the B3, the Date of Record is the day BEFORE on the 22nd. Doesn't mean a lot, just interesting from a chronological point of view. The Date of Record for the shares on NYSE is the 24th.

If you play this, buy the shares before the 23rd. Technically, you could buy the shares on the 23rd and still be paid the dividend. BUT BUT BUT,...sometimes, transactions get screwy and you could miss the Ex-Div Date by purchasing on the Ex-Div Date as some Investment Houses have funky clearing and they'll claim innocence if you wait to purchase on Ex-Div Date and not pay you the dividend (even though you are in correct position of share ownership to claim dividend). It can be a hassle.

I think you have a nice setup here to buy the shares ~$15.66, claim the dividend $1.54 and exit the shares after Record Date - or - you can hold the shares and if you have bearish sentiment for the market going forward, sell $15.50 Oct 22 Calls against them at $0.43. You could pick up an additional $0.27 (in theory), if exercised out and clear $1.97 per share. Or, you'll continue with ownership of shares $13.69 of a stock that has a 52 Week Range of $10.29 to $23.18.

If you have bullish sentiment for the market going forward, sell the $17.00 Nov 19 Calls at $0.22. You'll clear $3.10 per share if exercised or continue ownership at $13.90 per share

This a good play, IMO.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Some savagely beaten down ideas. Not all of these are "tradeable", some are long term plays and you need to see a confirmed reversal. I need to see how tomorrow opens to really have a firm opinion:

• BRK/B - gap down, way oversold. Value stock
  • MRK - savagely beaten down to March 2020 prices
  • V - also beaten down
  • WDC
  • ATO - near covid lows
  • WEN - these guys aren't going away
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

we could have gap and crap. I am assuming that you all know that gap up and failing to hold opening range = sell.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I think the real question is over 4380 area or not. If we clear 4380, I'm going with it.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG

Irish 2.0 said:

we could have gap and crap. I am assuming that you all know that gap up and failing to hold opening range = sell.
Saying more, at this point, I hope this thread understands some of the basics, such as:
  • Don't chase, wait for entry at an optimal price
  • Manage support / resistance levels
  • Gap ups likely gap fill down before continuing onwards unless it's an ORB
  • Down gaps likely gap fill before deciding direction
  • Sell if the ORB level fails
  • Wait for confirmed LOD and set stops at that point

Today for example, when we lost the opening range, sell.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
also, I am going to buy the shiat out of OSTK calls (assuming market is going up with me).
lobwedgephil
Always find where we bounced interesting, this time ES bounced at the quarterly open price.
cptthunder said:

Johnsongrass Farmer
One last item,...If you're looking for dividend issues. I have a buddy that I gave the following issues to for his dividend portfolio. He'll be investing $200K into each tomorrow. He wanted yield and consistency. Stability was a lower factor of importance if the "name" was solid.

HNDL - Annual Div = $1.80 with a Div Yield of 7.07%

JEPI - Annual Div = $4.08 with a Div Yield of 7.61%

BTI - Annual Div = $2.96 with a Div Yield of 7.95%

T - Annual Div = $2.08 with a Div Yield of 7.56% (In the news a lot, read before you invest to determine if you like their direction and forthcoming changes)

KMI - Annual Div = $1.08 with a Div Yield of 6.77%

MO - Annual Div = $3.60 with a Div Yield of 7.41%

OKE - Annual Div = $3.78 with a Div Yield of 6.74%
GTIAG09
AG

also, I am going to buy the shiat out of OSTK calls (assuming market is going up with me).

What calls are you looking at 30k?
deadbq03
AG
Just a friendly PSA because I was new once too… the stock price will fall by the amount of the dividend on the ex-dividend date. So if you're just chasing a dividend because you think it's free money, you need to reconsider.

I'm sure everyone posting on here knows that, but just in case there's a lurker who doesn't, I wanted to put it out there.
deadbq03 said:

Just a friendly PSA because I was new once too… the stock price will fall by the amount of the dividend on the ex-dividend date. So if you're just chasing a dividend because you think it's free money, you need to reconsider.

I'm sure everyone posting on here knows that, but just in case there's a lurker who doesn't, I wanted to put it out there.
Excellent point. To add, sometimes the shares will experience a price runup prior to Ex-Div Date and drop thereafter in amount near corresponding to the dividend paid.

Check price action associated with the stock.

Go back and review historic price activity leading up to Ex-Div Date and what happens after Ex-Div Date. It can yield some good insight about price action behavior for shares.
First Page Last Page
Page 4478 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.