Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,054,424 Views | 231689 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

We could spend hours debating the merits and dangers of options. They are not for the unskilled. My concern for many on this board is that they only understand long calls and long puts, which work in a trending market. In a neutral market, you have to understand collars, iron condors, calendars, butterflies, back ratios, etc.

All of that said, it's pretty hard to lose selling covered calls (you may give up upside), and it's pretty hard to lose selling puts in a stock you are willing to buy anyway at current prices.

I've realized I only have time to do the 2nd paragraph this year and it's worked well. I'm sure it's limited my upside (also going net free has capped some upside), but it's kept me solidly green both in terms of realized gains and overall account value. It was higher when IWM was rocking and I'm obviously hurting on some of the stocks that are regularly talked about, but it helps bring in $$ when I'm otherwise red. Good strategy for those of us inundated with real work now
FJ43
$30,000 Millionaire said:

We could spend hours debating the merits and dangers of options. They are not for the unskilled. My concern for many on this board is that they only understand long calls and long puts, which work in a trending market. In a neutral market, you have to understand collars, iron condors, calendars, butterflies, back ratios, etc.

All of that said, it's pretty hard to lose selling covered calls (you may give up upside), and it's pretty hard to lose selling puts in a stock you are willing to buy anyway at current prices.
I've grown to love leaps as well. If I like the chart and the company leaps can be a pretty profitable trade or angle into a position with plenty of time to monitor. If the thing rockets I can trade them or exercise the shares. If it doesn't then decay doesn't kill me.
Brewmaster
AG

the gain is one thing, but "trade is still open". that's interesting, dang.
AGSmith
AG
How crazy is Sept 24 VIX?
jimmo
Re: Options
I'm still learning as well
question:
Can a broker assign you shares of a stock prior to your option expiration?

considering trying some verticals/ butterflys on some of the higher priced stocks
like MRNA for example
It would be a problem if I was assigned 10 contracts
Bob Knights Paper Hands
If you sell options then you can be assigned early. It rarely happens, since they are much more likely to simply sell the option for profit if there is still time remaining (and typically some remaining premium). I have been prematurely assigned. Scared the **** out of me the first time I opened my account and I was short 300 shares of GME.
FJ43

Mornun...

Well......

Buckle up boys feels like a date with the 50EMA on SPY & Qs....

SPY watching to see if we arrive around 433.65...ish. 430.05 below that.
Qs will we see 357.60...ish. 353.72 below that.
IWM looking for the 200EMA around 209.83....207.20ish needs to hold IMO.

A touch, hold and bounce at the 50 is a good thing. Could be a healthy small pullback and recharge. Opex week. Look at the charts....we were due for this about now.

Stay calm, kick back and let's watch it all play out.

Oh...congrats to all those that played this to the downside. You're getting paid today.

Trade wisely!
KT_Ag08
AG
Would have been sweet to have held onto those 50 SPY $443P contracts I grabbed Monday morning but profit is profit.
AGSmith
AG
I wish I'd had the cash in my account to follow OA1's VIX call last week
FJ43
mazag08 said:

I think we might be looking between SPX 4175 and 4270 with 4200 seeming like a solid landing point.
Curious where/how you targeted these numbers? 5%+ correction in process at the moment?

Unless we are seeing a larger correction right now, I don't see much below between 4349-4325...ish. 4285 below that.

Anything further and you are approaching the 100EMA which we haven't seen since 10/20. Approx 4236 is the 100EMA. Of course anything is possible.....

Would like to learn what you are seeing to add tools to my belt.
FJ43

"Bicycle" update from yesterday close chart.

Bicycle = ES

Will we repeat?

FJ43

Hmmm that doesn't sound bullish

FJ43

SPX view.....

FJ43

VIX

Interesting spot where it is 'trapped' at the moment.....

Will be interesting to watch today.

FJ43
FJ43
Huh

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
FJ43 said:

Huh

I can't wait to get mailed their paper catalog.
leoj
AG
Time is a flat circle
jimmo
Tomas Hermensa said:

If you sell options then you can be assigned early. It rarely happens, since they are much more likely to simply sell the option for profit if there is still time remaining (and typically some remaining premium). I have been prematurely assigned. Scared the **** out of me the first time I opened my account and I was short 300 shares of GME.
so, for example..
if you're holding a vertical spread
and 1 leg is 'exercised'
you then exercise the other leg... and therefore, you're protected?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Have you not gotten the Amazon Christmas catalog? Dead serious, have gotten them the last 2 years i think
gig em 02
NRD09 said:

Have you not gotten the Amazon Christmas catalog? Dead serious, have gotten them the last 2 years i think

That's impressive to be on Amazon's million dollar buyer list, nice humble brag
Ted Lasso
AG
Our kids look forward to the Christmas wish list catalog from Amazon every year
Saltyag15
AG
Sounds like Bezos Claus is a busy man in December
ProgN
historyrepeats said:

Some of my fondest Christmas memories when I was little was circling toys I wanted from Santa in the huge Sear's Christmas catalog. Yes I'm that old.
wanderer
Aug 17:

Today:

What gives?

Bob Knights Paper Hands
jimmo said:

Tomas Hermensa said:

so, for example..
if you're holding a vertical spread
and 1 leg is 'exercised'
you then exercise the other leg... and therefore, you're protected?

That's right. Ultimately you're still protected, however it could cause account balance issues. Also for some brokers you may have to call to get the other kegs exercised early if you can't sell them, for instance if it's afterhours or if it's a low-liquidity stock.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Prognightmare said:

historyrepeats said:

Some of my fondest Christmas memories when I was little was circling toys I wanted from Santa in the huge Sear's Christmas catalog. Yes I'm that old.

My memories of the Sears catalog were as a young teenager. We had to use the resources available to us.
BTHOB
AG
U.S. weekly jobless claims total 348,000 vs. 365,000 estimate
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Yes that's a bit confusing. Did he get back in puts after a run up or at different strikes? Also is OA really Dave South?
Mr. Lahey
AG
wanderer said:

Aug 17:

Today:

What gives?

I read it as the last batch bought he unloaded?
jimmo
thank you
cisgenderedAggie
Tomas Hermensa said:

Yes that's a bit confusing. Did he get back in puts after a run up or at different strikes? Also is OA really Dave South?

OA definitely has some Dave South characteristics.
confucius_ag
AG
Thoughts on MGNI here in the 23-24 range? Falling knife? It is back where the hedgefund hit piece tanked it.
FJ43
Prognightmare said:

historyrepeats said:

That was awesome. I could look at it for hours and hours.
jj9000
AG
cisgenderedAggie said:

Tomas Hermensa said:

OA definitely has some Dave South characteristics.

HE GOT AN IRON CONDOR!!
HE GOT AN IRON CONDOR!!
HE GOT AN IRON CONDOR!!
First Page Last Page
Page 4367 of 6620

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.