Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,080,115 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by El_duderino
FJ43
How long do you want to ignore this user?
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Here are the most recent times we've touched -2 ATR on the daily SPX and what has happened:

• May 12, 2021: TBD, time will tell
  • March 4, 2021: 100 point rally the next day and 250 points over the next 2 weeks
  • Jan 31, 2021: 100 point rally intraday, 300 points over the next 2 weeks
  • October 30, 2020: 400 points over the next 11 trading days
  • September 24, 2020: 450 points over the next 3 trading weeks

Could we go to -3 ATR right away, yes! Is it high probability to short here for huge return, no. Will we revert to the mean, yes!

I would think we will get a at least some chance to play the call side of SPY tomorrow at some point. I failed on my one trade at it today. Swam upstream like an idiot and went against the technicals without true confirming setup.

Hold 404 on SPY with some bullishness and I will play long again. Lose 404 (today's flash low with weird candle) and I'll play the downside another day.
BrokeAssAggie
FJ43 said:

Here are the most recent times we've touched -2 ATR on the daily SPX and what has happened:

• March 4, 2021: 100 point rally the next day and 250 points over the next 2 weeks

Could we go to -3 ATR right away, yes! Is it high probability to short here for huge return, no. Will we revert to the mean, yes!

I would think we will get a at least some chance to play the call side of SPY tomorrow at some point. I failed on my one trade at it today. Swam upstream like an idiot and went against the technicals without true confirming setup.

Hold 404 on SPY with some bullishness and I will play long again. Lose 404 (today's flash low with weird candle) and I'll play the downside another day.
I am holding some SPY 4/15 $408 calls, so I hope we get a little run up in the morning.
Rice and Fries
Prognightmare said:

Rice and Fries said:

Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/dont-be-fooled-by-aprils-inflation-jump-its-being-driven-by-reopening-quirks-51620847392?mod=mw_latestnews

This article explains it all. I'm going to sleep better tonight.

There's a lot of people being fooled. <laugh/cry emoticon>

<*sarc>
I want to point out one thing to this board....

Has anyone looked at the 10YR UST today? These typical sell off or fear's drive people into treasuries and we see the yields go down. But in fact, they aren't going down but instead are going up, with the 10YR up 8bps today. I'm not an expert on what that means, besides pointing out - people/investors/entities are still getting out of the markets and they aren't driving to safe havens. So where is that cash going?
Cash, cash is a position.

Why buy treasuries when we know the fed will tighten causing rates to increase?
Why hold cash when you have 4.2% inflation and there is greater potential to seeing your buying power decrease by not putting it in anything with a return above?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I did 5/21 SPY 406C after the close. I could have bought /ES or /MES I suppose.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
FJ43
CrazyRichAggie said:

FJ43 said:

I am holding some SPY 4/15 $408 calls, so I hope we get a little run up in the morning.
We spent the majority of the day above that. If we get upward movement I don't think it will be sub 408 but maybe to new resistance in the 412-413s where spent most of yesterday. Just a guess. 411.75ish will need to be passed that I show anyway.
FJ43

I did 5/21 SPY 406C after the close. I could have bought /ES or /MES I suppose.
I should have added those on your post. I think they will pay well.
FJ43

CIDM has held up really well. Other than flashes down to $1.20 has held up. Really would like another bite at it in the teens.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I think we are approaching a 9-12 month top, though. It could be now, but probably not.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
ProgN
Rice and Fries said:

Prognightmare said:

Rice and Fries said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/dont-be-fooled-by-aprils-inflation-jump-its-being-driven-by-reopening-quirks-51620847392?mod=mw_latestnews

<*sarc>

Has anyone looked at the 10YR UST today? These typical sell off or fear's drive people into treasuries and we see the yields go down. But in fact, they aren't going down but instead are going up, with the 10YR up 8bps today. I'm not an expert on what that means, besides pointing out - people/investors/entities are still getting out of the markets and they aren't driving to safe havens. So where is that cash going?
Cash, cash is a position.

Why buy treasuries when we know the fed will tighten causing rates to increase?
Why hold cash when you have 4.2% inflation and there is greater potential to seeing your buying power decrease by not putting it in anything with a return above?

I wasn't referring to you because you follow the market. I was saying that a lot of investors are going to cash. I'm buying TTD, CVNA and SAVA currently as longer term holds. Great opportunities are abundant if you don't try to pick them bottom and can stomach volatility.
ProgN
Elon Musk says Tesla will stop accepting bitcoin for car purchases

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/elon-musk-says-tesla-will-stop-accepting-bitcoin-for-car-purchases.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

Elon is smart but unpredictable. I wouldn't be in dogecoin when he changes his mind.
FbgTxAg
AG
On one hand - Last 12 months I'm up 600%

On another hand - Last 3 months I'm down 35%, down 18% this month.

Remember in Lonesome Dove when Deets comes back and tells them it's 80 miles to the next water?

Captain Call - "We aint'a turnin' back."

I'm Woodrow Call. Man of Vision.
Post removed:
by user
HoustonAg2014
AG
So would this be considered pump and dump?
ProgN
Aggiesincebirth said:

So would this be considered pump and dump?
I don't trade crypto so I won't speculate, but from what I've read, Doge isn't even real. I liken it to musical chairs on the Titanic deciding who gets a seat in a lifeboat. JMO
FJ43
Cathie with the 2M+ share buy of PLTR again today.
BrokeAssAggie
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Rice and Fries said:

<*sarc>

Great point!

My opinion is, ...

Cash is in patient hands waiting to enter quality (bonds).

Monetary policy shows continued support from FED. In April the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) voted to keep the federal funds rate at 0% to 0.25% and continue the asset purchase program at a pace of $120 billion per month ($80 billion Treasury and $40 billion agency mortgage backed securities (MBS).

Bond buyers see the Fed prop, know equities are expensive, understand that the stimulus is delaying a workforce from returning to their job, see supply chains in disarray, and pointedly understand that JPOWELL is focused on 10 million Americans out of work, has a desire to allow inflation run past 2% before considering to remove policy accommodation. As inflation continues beyond 2% and the economy continues a very strong growth rate, JPOWELL will find it increasingly difficult to keep asset purchases at $120 billion per month and the Fed funds rate at basically 0%. "Rate hikes" will become more of the rhetoric from the FOMC members at speaking engagements. Rates begin to rise/bond price falls (all the while equities are under pressure chipping away the veneer of this Administration's real policies) and at some point the transition is made by patient money entering into bonds at higher rates (almost a slow squeeze). I can see this as a slow roll to quality versus a flight to quality. It pays to wait this out.

The rotation from Tech/Growth stocks to Value will have been repositioned. Growth/Tech suffers in a higher inflationary period while Value becomes the better choice in equities and that's how we finish the year.

Right now I think 2022 could be a real disaster for this Administration if they continue with their additional Stimulus and New Green Deal, etc., I would rather see a limp than a disaster.
irish pete ag06
AG
So 1 day in on John Carter's small account and I think it'll be worthwhile. I ran into some issues however. He was using verticals and butterflies and my stupid td ameritrade account wasn't cleared for Level 3 options. I went and tried to get it approved and messed up. Hit submit. Realized my mistake then went back to fix it and it says I can't change it for 60 days since this account had made a recent change. Remembered I had just started a webull account with 1k in it and went to it. Got approved for Level 3 instantly with them. Went to make some of the plays and it's telling me the account needs a balance $2,001 (random number) to play multi-leg options (aarrrgh). Deposited another 4k and now waiting for it to clear.

I'm going to wake up and watch his trading session again in the morning. He was doing a great job of explaining his setups and stuff but it was hard to watch during my 6th and 7th period class with students in there (it was STAAR testing today so I was just showing Inside North Korea to display the wonders of communism to the kiddos)

There's also the archives of all of his past trading sessions and lots of other videos. One of his videos I watched about the psycology of trading with small accounts was the importance of taking $ off the table sooner when you win. He says large accounts are more able to let winners run since they have some cushion. That was punching me in the face because the last few weeks when I've tried to become more tactical in finding setups, nearly all of them have been green at some point, but many of them I've let turn to losers by trying to let them run.
azul_rain
Was inflation expected to be this high ? Back in March 20 ?
FTAG 2000
AG
hedge said:

It seems like we're on month three of any *bad* news shakes the market tree pretty hard.

And I think that anyone paying attention knows that number is bull***** It's probably closer to ten.
Agvet12
AG
FJ43 said:

Cathie with the 2M+ share buy of PLTR again today.

One good war in the Middle East and this pays out 200%
lobwedgephil
When you are in a green trade, always move your stop up to breakeven. You can always reenter.
Cookiemonster64
Appreciate this run down. Watching intently to see what you think of the service. I'm still reading his book and enjoying it.
irish pete ag06
AG
lobwedgephil said:

When you are in a green trade, always move your stop up to breakeven. You can always reenter.
Exactly. #MarketTuition
hedge said:

The Fed has been trying to create a 2% inflation scenario for years (maybe decades). So, 2% was a Fed expectation. They're getting their wish now.

Side Note: I can't find the article to back up what I am going to type, but I have it somewhere. After Ben Bernanke guided us through the financial crisis (remember, this was the guy that quite literally had the only plan that might have worked and it did - his thesis) and before he left his Fed Chair role, he wrote the plan to rise out of the crisis and achieve normality. The plan went years into the future. This Bernanke post plan I learned about at the end of Yellen or beginning of Powell Chairship. Janet Yellen followed the Bernanke Post Plan her entire term. In comes Jerome Powell. Powell, follows the Plan, then he decides to change the script and started raising (accelerating) rates and pretty steady if you recall. It was totally opposite of what Bernanke left as instructions. Powell about cratered the economy, backed off, and we went back to 0%-0.25% rate. There's no telling how far Jerome's arrogance set this country back from climbing out of the hole. ... Bernanke, the dude is legend. If I find the article I'll post it.
Ragoo
AG
Is this with regard to rolling off the QE from the balance sheet? There was a staged program. Once the roll off accelerated in the program rates started rising so they stopped. If I remember correctly.
mazag08
AG
I remember like it was yesterday and posted on numerous threads that I wasn't against raising rates but that Trump was right in his criticism. The economy was just getting started after Obama was gone and Trump was implementing his policies. Powell went too hard too fast. Historically, it was nothing. But our paper Tiger economy wasn't built to withstand any rise in rates and we came out of the gate swinging. It caused a lot of hurt. And it seemed purposeful to me. The great economy we had under Trump was actually hamstring because of this. You raise rates in a period of strength when you have a foundation ready to absorb them, not the 1st inning where you just got done mopping up the *****
MaroonDynasty
May look at entry on HD or LOW puts depending on if I can get a good entry, missed the 1st move but could be alot more to squeeze. They could easily fade all the way into earnings in a couple weeks after the run up and both stocks kind of decoupled from lumber prices today.

We shall see.
Ragoo said:

Is this with regard to rolling off the QE from the balance sheet? There was a staged program. Once the roll off accelerated in the program rates started rising so they stopped. If I remember correctly.
Sort of, it went from QE to QT to QE, but a lot of steps in between. The unconventional balance sheet maneuvers of QT were creative, but the need for raising the overnite lending rate wasn't required at that point in time AND during that time Chair Powell was trying to force the inflation issue trying to generate a 2% factor. It was a fiasco and Powell was labeled with the legacy blemish. Hence, I think today Powell is ignoring the inflation so it can develop first, then Powell can raise rates claiming a need to control inflation. Basically, he's doing the same thing, only in reverse, because he doesn't want another blemish on his legacy. Unfortunately, I think he will be wrong twice.
FJ43

Mornun....

Futures are slightly red this morning. SPY and Qs are below yesterdays lows. Many big tech are also below yesterday's lows early PM.

SPY down at 403.70
Qs down at 315.84
IWM down at 210.80
VIX up at 27.77
SKEW up to 142.60

Early here and things can change but think you have to be flexible. Hardest part for me sometimes is having the chart say what I want it to say vs. what it is saying.

Flexibility....maybe be like this......

Trade wisely!

ProgN
Morning FJ,

That woman has a solid core and balance, wow.

BTC getting crushed. MARA sub $20 rn.
FJ43
Prognightmare said:

Morning FJ,

That woman has a solid core and balance, wow.

BTC getting crushed. MARA sub $20 rn.
Morning Prog....

Yikes on BTC man. Luckily I took all off the table on crypto when the charts looked extended or weak except a small long term on ETH.

Not sure if Elon's tweets carry that much weight or not or this is just folks collecting cash and taking profits.
FJ43

YETI

I have wanted in this for a while just never have. Maybe its because I just love Yeti products. Think earnings are today though so I will sit on the sidelines until after.

• EMAs on primary chart and SMAs on ATR chart.
  • Lost the 50 on SMAs and touched the 50 on EMAs.
  • Would love an entry around $78 or -2 ATR kiss or better $75 on 100 Day EMA touch.
  • Long term trend looks strong and just steady up.
  • More and more product releases including backpacks, duffels, etc. out and I would expect them to capitalize on their brand with outdoor activity growth.

Will be patient though but does have a good options chain to maybe angle in.

FJ43

VIX over 28 early PM
59 South
AG
I tend to agree with this take:

First Page Last Page
Page 3845 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.