Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,073,328 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by El_duderino
wazzaa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
$SKLZ ER drops on the 10th. I'm holding out for now...

This guy shows the large amounts of puts days before the scam report

Mostly Foggy Recollection
A lot of retail doesn't know how to scale in while dips/corrections are taking place.

Having a plan for money and it's flows at certain levels (should they be breached) is the best course of action.

The problem is, most of the under 40 crowd (This is my age group) is a fly by the seat of their pants type and hasn't orchestrated and executed a bear/sideways plan in their 'investing' careers.

Most idiots can make money in a bull market. Those numbers go down by half to 2/3 in a sideways market. It goes down to ~10% in a full on bear market. I paper traded at first in a bear market in the early 2000s. It's not simple and you have to be dedicated to your plan.
LOYAL AG
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

A lot of retail doesn't know how to scale in while dips/corrections are taking place.

Having a plan for money and it's flows at certain levels (should they be breached) is the best course of action.

The problem is, most of the under 40 crowd (This is my age group) is a fly by the seat of their pants type and hasn't orchestrated and executed a bear/sideways plan in their 'investing' careers.

Most idiots can make money in a bull market. Those numbers go down by half to 2/3 in a sideways market. It goes down to ~10% in a full on bear market. I paper traded at first in a bear market in the early 2000s. It's not simple and you have to be dedicated to your plan.
You're 100% correct which would actually be a fascinating discussion to have on a separate thread. I think we all agree we're still in a bull right now so no better time than the present to start this. What do you think?
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
jj9000
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

we need to hit 3650 for fear. I still think this is energy for 4,400.

I don't think 3,650 will bother most. Just off the top of my head, that's roughly 200 points higher than right around this time last year.

I think sub-3,000 will have people frightened...and we'd bounce sub-2,500.

Heck... we've been there twice in the last 3 years.

The music will stop again.
MaroonDynasty
Hey guys, what are the chances of a gap fill on AMD?

It feels like there are a few popular stocks in this situation.
Jet Black
gig em 02
$30,000 Millionaire said:

we need to hit 3650 for fear. I still think this is energy for 4,400.

What's the path to 4400? Money screaming back into techs, but where will it come from?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
yield curve control
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
YNWA_AG
AG
MaroonDynasty said:

Hey guys, what are the chances of a gap fill on AMD?

It feels like there are a few popular stocks in this situation.

I will be buying a ton of leaps if we lose 74 and make it all the way to $48 resistance
YCC, yeah you know me....

Fascism, mother *******

Sorry, channeling my inner Robin Williams there
Jet Black
What gets money flowing back into tech?
I am onboard 100%. Trying to think about how to describe a plan on here is going to be tedious but I guess we can take it a few chunks at a time.

By the way, cash is a position. Also, I was speaking with FJ today and I've kicked the curb on only trading SPY. I've averaged about a 3-5K profit per day the last month scalping/swinging SPY zones

The more focused you are, the higher likelihood of making money IMO.
BrokeAssAggie
I can't decide if that's satire or a legitimate video
Jet Black
CrazyRichAggie said:

I can't decide if that's satire or a legitimate video

Not sure either, but if it is real, good lord.
LOYAL AG
AG
LOYAL AG said:

jimbo9821 said:

Keep watching it. Looks like its getting squeezed... maybe?

Minute charts can be extremely deceptive. Here's the 10M:

I agree that volume has dried up by that's not a chart I'd buy into right now. My $.02. I'm not in and won't be this week.
Bumping this post from 1055 this morning where I responded to jimbo9821 about his take on the 1m chart for NIO. Not doing it to pick on jimbo nor to pat myself on the back for what turned out to be the correct response. We spend a lot of time on charts on this thread and timeframe choice can dramatically change how a chart reads. In this case jimbo felt like he was seeing a squeeze on the 1m chart so I posted the 10m in response. The 10m told a much more negative story.

This is the rest of the day for NIO with a red line at the point in time I posted the 10m:

Again not picking on jimbo at all just an interesting lesson for the newer traders and perhaps a reminder for the more experienced ones. Timeline choice can dramatically impact how a chart looks. In this case NIO was at $36.56 when I posted and it closed at $35.21 then fell a bit more in AH.

I think my general rule is that I avoid the 1M almost entirely and the 5m isn't much more useful. I really like the 10m if I'm following a stock intraday and the 15m and 30m if I'm doing 5-day analysis. About the only use I have for the 1m is when I've got a call sale that's above the current price and I'm "cheerleading" for the stock to get there and give me my money. For actual trades unless you're an intraday trader where you're in and out in an hour or less I'm not sure I'd rely on it.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
FJ43
LOYAL AG said:

LOYAL AG said:

jimbo9821 said:

I agree that volume has dried up by that's not a chart I'd buy into right now. My $.02. I'm not in and won't be this week.
Bumping this post from 1055 this morning where I responded to jimbo9821 about his take on the 1m chart for NIO. Not doing it to pick on jimbo nor to pat myself on the back for what turned out to be the correct response. We spend a lot of time on charts on this thread and timeframe choice can dramatically change how a chart reads. In this case jimbo felt like he was seeing a squeeze on the 1m chart so I posted the 10m in response. The 10m told a much more negative story.

This is the rest of the day for NIO with a red line at the point in time I posted the 10m:

Again not picking on jimbo at all just an interesting lesson for the newer traders and perhaps a reminder for the more experienced ones. Timeline choice can dramatically impact how a chart looks. In this case NIO was at $36.56 when I posted and it closed at $35.21 then fell a bit more in AH.

I think my general rule is that I avoid the 1M almost entirely and the 5m isn't much more useful. I really like the 10m if I'm following a stock intraday and the 15m and 30m if I'm doing 5-day analysis. About the only use I have for the 1m is when I've got a call sale that's above the current price and I'm "cheerleading" for the stock to get there and give me my money. For actual trades unless you're an intraday trader where you're in and out in an hour or less I'm not sure I'd rely on it.
I use 1 min charts all the time for intraday trades but not absent of 5,10 and hourly for overall. Those time frames are also for intraday. 1 min for me are almost exclusively options trades. I will on occasional see a share entry but it's supported by longer timeline trends lines predrawn that intersect within the 1 min or short timeline view.

1 minute charts however, like you, never determine for me where a stock is in the overall trend.

I also probably look at 1 minute charts more than anything as it relates to volume spikes. I do want to see short time span volume and price concentration.

Daily is my primary for overall trends followed by hourly on multi day view.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

agdaddy04
AG
Thanks for that. I did jump in on NIO at $37.51 today. Obviously an inexperienced move.
BrokeAssAggie
wazzaa said:

Cathie in SKLZ. Hopefully these 3/19 calls pay!!
Diggity
AG
The Ohio State garb is a nice touch. Wish they had panned down to his Jorts.
LOYAL AG
AG
FJ43 said:

LOYAL AG said:

LOYAL AG said:

jimbo9821 said:

I use 1 min charts all the time for intraday trades but not absent of 5,10 and hourly for overall. Those time frames are also for intraday. 1 min for me are almost exclusively options trades. I will on occasional see a share entry but it's supported by longer timeline trends lines predrawn that intersect within the 1 min or short timeline view.

1 minute charts however, like you, never determine for me where a stock is in the overall trend.

I also probably look at 1 minute charts more than anything as it relates to volume spikes. I do want to see short time span volume and price concentration.

Daily is my primary for overall trends followed by hourly on multi day view.
Love this response and this is why we all love this thread. Well that and the effort to work together to make some money. I love that we've just gotten a good explanation of when a 1m chart has value for someone that trades in a style I don't which is intraday options.

Thanks, FJ!
LOYAL AG
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

wazzaa said:

Cathie in SKLZ. Hopefully these 3/19 calls pay!!
Raise you're hand if you read those two lists with a nervous feeling, worried you'd see PLTR on the "sold" one!
Bob Knights Paper Hands
LOYAL AG said:

You're 100% correct which would actually be a fascinating discussion to have on a separate thread. I think we all agree we're still in a bull right now so no better time than the present to start this. What do you think?

Yes, please. I think a Successfully Navigating a Bear Market thread would be great! Is there a way to paper trade simulations from certain time slices?
Ags2013
AG
Bitcoin looking good! My eyes are on blockchain recovery.
LOYAL AG
AG
Tomas Hermensa said:

LOYAL AG said:

Yes, please. I think a Successfully Navigating a Bear Market thread would be great! Is there a way to paper trade simulations from certain time slices?
OK, give me a couple of days and I'll start the thread later this week. Full disclosure this is an area I'll be looking to learn a ton as well. My trading career started in 2012 so I've really not navigated a true bear either. I have some bearish strategies that I'll employ if we really go that direction but I'm confident in saying that guys like OA, Mostly Cloudy and FJ are more experienced in this area than I am. I'm good in anything from a bull (aren't we all) to a few percent negative but a true elevator ride down is foreign territory for me.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
LOYAL AG
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

What's the link about the stocks that Wall Street Bets is focused on?
FJ43
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Any chance they could run SPY up to maybe 402 by next Wednesday? I'd be really appreciative.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

There's a reason stereotypes exist. I lived in Columbus and was at Ohio State in 2005-2006.

FJ43 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Any chance they could run SPY up to maybe 402 by next Wednesday? I'd be really appreciative.

You and me both .
Jet Black
Or FUBO.
jimbo9821
AG
LOYAL AG said:

LOYAL AG said:

jimbo9821 said:

Thank you! And FJ as well. Really appreciate all the info. Great opportunities to continue to learn!
aggiedaniel06
AG
Sir, the way we do things here is, buy based on the 10 min chart, bag hold for a year and then thump our chest claiming victory.
jwhitlock3

I am onboard 100%. Trying to think about how to describe a plan on here is going to be tedious but I guess we can take it a few chunks at a time.

By the way, cash is a position. Also, I was speaking with FJ today and I've kicked the curb on only trading SPY. I've averaged about a 3-5K profit per day the last month scalping/swinging SPY zones

The more focused you are, the higher likelihood of making money IMO.
I'd be curious to see what folks consider as their portfolio allocation just in general. You mention moving to potentially only trading SPY and it made me wonder how some of you guys are structuring your plans and how often you step back and rebalance to get back to goals? Seems like some of you might have multiple accounts to help with this instead of just allocations within a single brokerage.

My Portolio Example:
  • Mass Accumulation/long term plays 40%
  • Swing Trades 20%
  • Options 30% (weighted where I'm trying to keep 25% of it in selling puts, 5% in speculative plays)
  • Cash 10%

I haven't tried this approach over a long time scale, and I'm not sure how easily it scales with a growing account, but I'd be curious to see other's approach. I've considered stopping with the swing trades and instead focusing on 50% being cash secured puts, and 50% long holds using covered calls + cash.

Caveat to this is where I'm asking. I understand this is a trading thread and answers are likely to skew towards short term.
AgsnFly
AG
Ragoo said:

What is Apple's growth story the next few years? I think the roll out is more about chasing yield versus growth.

It may be likely that AAPL is driven by institutional hedging. Consider the probable volume of collars being initiated by the massive numbers of institutional owners who are very long the most valuable stock on on planet Earth. We are talking about billions of dollars in options strategies to preserve wealth.
If the macro trend is down, then the collar structures will necessitate an increase in selling pressure by the dealers who manage AAPL. The downside gamma may be driving this move. Just spitballing here but need to consider what the real players are doing here.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Jet Black said:

Or FUBO.

I thought I was getting my ass kicked in CLOV. Little did I know FUBO would end up draining me just as bad... 3 straight 10% down days. I just don't know where it ends
First Page Last Page
Page 3449 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.