Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,077,478 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by El_duderino
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thundergon said:

I'm hoping this is a rotational week back into the FAANG names. They're all coming off relatively low volume days with solid consolidation setting up good pivots for a move upward. These names may help lead $SPX to 4000 if they get going.

FB - Over 274 has room to 280 which is daily BB as well as strong S/R level. Low volume Friday and dragonfly doji setting up for potential reversal.

AAPL - Declining daily volume on the consolidation period. Gapped down Friday and closed above the previous day close near the mean. Takes out 138 has room to 144. Friday afternoon had a 5-min squeeze fire near close to set up a reversal move back up. The 138 level is key, lots of eyes on that as well so if it can push past look for day traders to step in and juice the move. Needs a big volume day.

AMZN - That is one long weekly squeeze. I think Redler was right when he said that the price is too high for retail to get involved and institutions already own it so it's just in no-man's land. Chart looks very similar to the $AAPL chart regarding consolidation, volume, and Friday's move. I'm watching 3368.

NFLX - Over 567 has room to 591 whish is the daily BB. 575 is a big S/R level though so watch that level as well. This thing has been in a box from 467-575 since last July but if you look at the weekly the uptrend line has been holding steady on the rise within the box.

GOOGL - Consolidating nicely after earnings, holding the 5-day SMA during that period. Has room to the daily BB at 2180. Needs above 2100 then 2115 for move up. Low volume too the past few days.

Watch to see if these names get going. These are day/swing trade setups I am watching. I'm already in $AAPL.
I own quite a bit of every one of those.. so let's hope you're right!

FAANG have been good to me over the last 3-5 years.
DavysApprentice
AG
I have a question about how you guys do your hedges. If using spy puts, how do you decide which ones to buy?

How far out? How far OTM?

Any input on this would be appreciated. I am only working with a small account but add to it monthly and want some protection from a big sell off.
Thundergon
DavysApprentice said:

I have a question about how you guys do your hedges. If using spy puts, how do you decide which ones to buy?

How far out? How far OTM?

Any input on this would be appreciated. I am only working with a small account but add to it monthly and want some protection from a big sell off.

I believe OA likes to first identify any $SPY gaps that could be filled and then targets the 200-day EMA level. You could also look at Model T retracement from the last big uptrend run before correction. For the target date, one to a couple months out is pretty good. Obviously the higher $SPY goes, the higher strikes and probably closer dates could be chosen and you'll kinda get a feel about when to start hedging. OA mentioned looking at the SKEW for hedging as well; the higher it gets the more funds hedge. Just keep adding to hedges as the index rises but don't turn the hedge into an actual trade since it's supposed to just be insurance.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Thundergon said:

Last post from me on this topic since this is the stock thread.

PWest might know more because I'm not smart enough to understand how to solve the fusion problem, but my bet is it'll be several generations before we can implement anything from it. It's crazy how much money is being poured into it when to me it would make more sense to get small modules up and running before looking at fusion but who knows. The big problem with fission is the potential for a meltdown where with fusion from what I understand that problem doesn't exist and that's a big thing for public sentiment and safety. The big problem with fusion though is they can't figure it out yet and it takes more power to start the reaction then what they can harvest from it like you said. You have guys like Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates throwing millions into funding private fusion research companies including the billions from the ITER cooperation like you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if the fusion race turns into the next space race, metaphorically and literally.
My last long comment on this nuclear side convo for anyone interested, don't have any specific stocks to recommend through all of this, but if it gives people any insight into the nuclear power world, and the future of electric generation in general, then I guess that's a good thing.

I am in my 20s, I don't expect to see a fusion reactor which produces more energy than it consumes in my lifetime. In the course of human history? Absolutely. Within the next 100 years? Greater than 50% chance if I had to put a number to it. Every person I've interacted with who has worked on fusion has said the same thing "it's been 20 years away for the last 40 years".

If humanity gave the nuclear academic/industry/laboratory system unlimited blank checks and said "make it happen at any cost" then it'd get done within 20 years. But that's literally a "The world is going to end in 20 years if we don't make fusion" scenario and that will never happen. The people throwing money at it now will never see the return on their investment, my guess is they're doing it because they're rich enough to throw money around and try and help the 'greater good' of humanity.

In the meantime I do see the smaller fission systems I've already mentioned come online, a few of them towards the end of this decade. NuScale will be the first, followed by X-Energy, Oklo, and TerraPower. Rolls-Royce is working on an SMR design and the UK government is all on board with nuclear so honestly they might beat any US company to be the first to actually build one. In a dream world I would have the US government and DOE follow exactly what the UK is doing to revitalize their domestic nuclear industry while creating jobs for local workers. Also Poland is going all in on nuclear to replace their coal generation, they've been in talks with US companies and if I had to put money on it they're going to begin construction on Westinghouse AP1000s this decade. Once the rest of Europe's electric grid craps the bed, Poland will be positioned to be an exporter of electricity due to the baseload generation they're aiming to build.

Links for those interested:

https://www.nuscalepower.com/

https://x-energy.com/reactors/xe-100

https://www.terrapower.com/

https://holtecinternational.com/products-and-services/smr/

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Rolls-Royce-on-track-for-2030-delivery-of-UK-SMR

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Poland-plans-USD40-bn-investment-in-new-nuclear-pl#:~:text=Polish%20Climate%20Minister%20Micha%C5%82%20Kurtyka,to%20a%20clean%20energy%20economy.&text=The%20first%201%2D1.6%20GWe,GWe%2C%20to%20follow%20by%202040.

And as for meltdown potential these new designs are "meltdown-proof". I know that's a very bold claim and most people roll their eyes when they hear it, but each design has their own unique technical reasons as to why that's true and I could go on for hours and hours about each one. The argument was convincing enough for NuScale that the NRC didn't require an exclusion zone or emergency planning zone when they gave NuScale their design certification. Basically they were able to show the NRC that any accident they could have wouldn't affect anybody outside of the facility fence line which is a huuuuuuuge deal for a nuclear plant. Also, after ***ushima the DOE and fuel manufacturers began the Accident Tolerant Fuel (ATF) program which aimed to replace the fuel in currently operating reactors with new fuels that are more efficient and safer than current fuels. Some designs have already been run for a full 18 month cycles in US plants and preliminary analysis has been positive, honestly don't know the cost basis compared to current fuel. So it's not totally infeasible for the current large reactor fleet to maintain operation with an increased margin of safety using ATF and also start adding in these newer cheaper and safer models. Once again maybe I'm young and overly optimistic but I see it happening in my adult life. Anyway, that's my long rambling post for anyone interested in nuclear, I don't post on this thread all that often but I do watch it pretty seriously, I guess this is the first time my personal career and this thread overlapped.

Link to ATF progress: https://www.powermag.com/big-boost-for-framatomes-accident-tolerant-nuclear-fuel/
Brewmaster
AG
AggieChemist said:

Lots going on over the long weekend here! What do you guys like for buy & hold this week? (I don't trade options)

More CLOV or FUBO?

New position in NGL, DPW, EBON?
A short term swing I like FUBO, but I may hold some this time too (long term), at least 4 big buys recently with major stakes in it, Comcast with a 9% stake. It should also squeeze nicely soon.

NGL technically looks great, but you never know if it consolidates longer in that box or goes. Good long term hold I'd think.

I'd get on EBON and DPW before they really fly. I might add EBON tomorrow. QD is interesting too (wish I had some from lower levels, but has room to run now that china is letting their stocks run).

probably need to wait for a pullback, but I like bitcoin plays this week. Bitcoin wants that 50k plus level (I think Adam had 53k as significant and it will consolidate there). All the bitcoin plays should be up nicely tomorrow.
DavysApprentice
AG
PWestAg18 said:

Thundergon said:

PWest might know more because I'm not smart enough to understand how to solve the fusion problem, but my bet is it'll be several generations before we can implement anything from it. It's crazy how much money is being poured into it when to me it would make more sense to get small modules up and running before looking at fusion but who knows. The big problem with fission is the potential for a meltdown where with fusion from what I understand that problem doesn't exist and that's a big thing for public sentiment and safety. The big problem with fusion though is they can't figure it out yet and it takes more power to start the reaction then what they can harvest from it like you said. You have guys like Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates throwing millions into funding private fusion research companies including the billions from the ITER cooperation like you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if the fusion race turns into the next space race, metaphorically and literally.
My last long comment on this nuclear side convo for anyone interested, don't have any specific stocks to recommend through all of this, but if it gives people any insight into the nuclear power world, and the future of electric generation in general, then I guess that's a good thing.

I am in my 20s, I don't expect to see a fusion reactor which produces more energy than it consumes in my lifetime. In the course of human history? Absolutely. Within the next 100 years? Greater than 50% chance if I had to put a number to it. Every person I've interacted with who has worked on fusion has said the same thing "it's been 20 years away for the last 40 years".

If humanity gave the nuclear academic/industry/laboratory system unlimited blank checks and said "make it happen at any cost" then it'd get done within 20 years. But that's literally a "The world is going to end in 20 years if we don't make fusion" scenario and that will never happen. The people throwing money at it now will never see the return on their investment, my guess is they're doing it because they're rich enough to throw money around and try and help the 'greater good' of humanity.

In the meantime I do see the smaller fission systems I've already mentioned come online, a few of them towards the end of this decade. NuScale will be the first, followed by X-Energy, Oklo, and TerraPower. Rolls-Royce is working on an SMR design and the UK government is all on board with nuclear so honestly they might beat any US company to be the first to actually build one. In a dream world I would have the US government and DOE follow exactly what the UK is doing to revitalize their domestic nuclear industry while creating jobs for local workers. Also Poland is going all in on nuclear to replace their coal generation, they've been in talks with US companies and if I had to put money on it they're going to begin construction on Westinghouse AP1000s this decade. Once the rest of Europe's electric grid craps the bed, Poland will be positioned to be an exporter of electricity due to the baseload generation they're aiming to build.

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Rolls-Royce-on-track-for-2030-delivery-of-UK-SMR

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Poland-plans-USD40-bn-investment-in-new-nuclear-pl#:~:text=Polish%20Climate%20Minister%20Micha%C5%82%20Kurtyka,to%20a%20clean%20energy%20economy.&text=The%20first%201%2D1.6%20GWe,GWe%2C%20to%20follow%20by%202040.

And as for meltdown potential these new designs are "meltdown-proof". I know that's a very bold claim and most people roll their eyes when they hear it, but each design has their own unique technical reasons as to why that's true and I could go on for hours and hours about each one. The argument was convincing enough for NuScale that the NRC didn't require an exclusion zone or emergency planning zone when they gave NuScale their design certification. Basically they were able to show the NRC that any accident they could have wouldn't affect anybody outside of the facility fence line which is a huuuuuuuge deal for a nuclear plant. Also, after ***ushima the DOE and fuel manufacturers began the Accident Tolerant Fuel (ATF) program which aimed to replace the fuel in currently operating reactors with new fuels that are more efficient and safer than current fuels. Some designs have already been run for a full 18 month cycles in US plants and preliminary analysis has been positive, honestly don't know the cost basis compared to current fuel. So it's not totally infeasible for the current large reactor fleet to maintain operation with an increased margin of safety using ATF and also start adding in these newer cheaper and safer models. Once again maybe I'm young and overly optimistic but I see it happening in my adult life. Anyway, that's my long rambling post for anyone interested in nuclear, I don't post on this thread all that often but I do watch it pretty seriously, I guess this is the first time my personal career and this thread overlapped.

Link to ATF progress: https://www.powermag.com/big-boost-for-framatomes-accident-tolerant-nuclear-fuel/

This was a cool post to read. I have a physics background and have taken a strong interest in nuclear because it has always seemed to be the future of energy when it comes to scaling, availability and the pitfalls of alt energy. After reading a lot about fusion, your post seems to match what I have heard about the timeline although I do hope that ITER proves break even can be achieved in my lifetime (I am only slightly older than you).

To make it investment related, I do feel like the need for mining of uranium and other such elements will continue to be important which will potentially keep the companies that do so very useful to a portfolio.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
What a wild night . I got the Ranger stuck in an icy revene.

Had to walk back 2.5 miles in driving snow and sleet.

Just got service for the first time since this morning. No power!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
just got power back. My pool has ice bergs in it.
LOYAL AG
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

What a wild night . I got the Ranger stuck in an icy revene.

Had to walk back 2.5 miles in driving snow and sleet.

Just got service for the first time since this morning. No power!
Wow! Glad you made it back safely.
It was awesome. I've been in 40 below and loved it.

Over 80... that **** is for the birds.

Smiling ear to ear walking back in thunder snow.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AggieChemist said:

Lots going on over the long weekend here! What do you guys like for buy & hold this week? (I don't trade options)

More CLOV or FUBO?

New position in NGL, DPW, EBON?

Fruit stock
I'm probably starting a position in DG tomorrow, and possibly DIS
gougler08
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

just got power back. My pool has ice bergs in it.

Pics!
FJ43
PWestAg18 said:

Thundergon said:

Great write up and thanks for taking the time to share. Posts like this with depth hopefully provide the catalyst for this community to generate some opportunities and leads for all of us. Keep up the great work!
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

D2F1D0
AG
Great run down. Thanks. I like nerding out on stuff I don't.kniw about or understand.
Sounds like you have a very neat career.
Chaos is reality, clarity is the goal, simplicity is a choice.
0708aggie
AG
FYI, Atlas is talking about $ET options
gougler08
AG
After all this mess with the weather, will be nice to have the market to pay attention to tomorrow
Colt98
AG
I'll be trading 100% mobile tomorrow. My IP is down due to back outs. Every 15 min since 3 am electricity goes off.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
A few thoughts:

First, a big thanks to PWest and Thundergon and others for the nuclear insights. I've long been fascinated by it (the company I work for used to supply most of the pumps used in the big plants), and I've been banging the pot on our country's piss-poor energy infrastructure to anyone silly enough to listen to me.

Second, I think it's no coincidence that the first time this thread has had less than 100 posts in a day in over a month, huge portions of the state are without power. Hope you guys that are without can get it back soon (and not just for the markets).

Finally, I received an email from IBKR over the weekend stating that the maintenance margin requirement for EBON is increasing to 50% on Wednesday. I'm brand new to margin, can anyone help me figure out what this means? I'm curious why they're doing this to EBON...
Brewmaster
AG
Touchless
AG
BREwmaster said:

That guy handled that really embarrassing event incredibly well. Zero panic and even got up and bowed to the crowd. Had to have been absolutely freezing his nuts off. Can't imagine swimming in skates as well. 100% chance I slice my leg open while kicking.
gigemJTH12
AG
I havent been on since the storm started.

is there anything thats a new buy first thing in the morning that I missed?
D2F1D0
AG
Nope. Just nuke it.
Chaos is reality, clarity is the goal, simplicity is a choice.
Ornithopter
AG
OA said GILD looks to move up.

NGL had some good charts posted about why it might be a good buy and discussion.

Stock market looks to be going up on futures, so it'll probably take a dump first thing.

Edit: and if you don't have FUBO like the rest of the board the chart is promising.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Futures are like way too bullish. We could go up, but feels like we need some drama on OPEX week.
krosch11
AG
Finally made it to a friends house with power. Couldn't risk another night without power with a 6 week old. Y'all stay safe and stay warm. 51 inside at the hottest part of the day. Night time would have been rough.

Curious how and if this Grid snaffoo will affect renewable conversations and movements tomorrow .
If anything, it should make the renewables conversation a freakin joke.

Nuclear or Nat gas/coal. Anything else is a flipping joke that should be tossed in the trash
Larry J. Holy 81
AG
Nothing like Mother Nature to expose some of our human thinking. I like renewables, but if the thinking is we need to switch everything quickly to be carbon neutral, I hesitate. When it comes to a choice of heating my house or charging my auto, I'm gonna stay warm and may have to avoid work and/or travel. The previous posts in the last few pages covered energy alternatives well. Woke up today to -26 and got to a high of -4. I didn't look for the wind chill numbers. If we lost power here in South Dakota, or a had black out, it would not be pretty.

I want SPY to hit the $400 magnet. If it goes over that's okay too. Sold some calls on SPY shares and getting exercised would be fine.

I'm with $30K,...I believe he projected a maybe of SPY $390-ish this week and I think that will happen.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

If anything, it should make the renewables conversation a freakin joke.

Nuclear or Nat gas/coal. Anything else is a flipping joke that should be tossed in the trash
Doesn't help when the feds won't let you open up the power plants because it would make too much pollution
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
astros4545
AG
tv1113 said:

May be dumb but I sold about 50 2 dollar puts on veon for June and I'm perfectly fine being assigned on with 50 cents of premium on each and my net cost being at 1.50 for 5000 shares.

Catching up on this thread now

But you can sell $3 puts for March 19 for $1.80
Entry price of $1.20

The March $2 puts are practically same price as the June $2 puts as well ($0.50 vs $0.53)
FJ43
Morning gents. Hope everyone is safe this morning.

Lets trade

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Post removed:
by user
FJ43
third coast.. said:

This threads picks firing on all cylinders PM

Feels good to have hit my average daily realized gain target before 5AM EST.

59 South
AG
FJ43 said:

Lets trade

I knew you'd be up early chompin' at the bit this morning.

TRIT back over $8 in PM... looking like some good entries last week on basing bottom.

FTFT looks like it is going to the moon this week. Should have bought some last week. Redler & Stewie should always be trusted.
FJ43
59 South said:

FJ43 said:

Lets trade

I knew you'd be up early chompin' at the bit this morning.

TRIT back over $8 in PM... looking like some good entries last week on basing bottom.

FTFT looks like it is going to the moon this week. Should have bought some last week. Redler & Stewie should always be trusted.
Man I was and having a blast. Just being patient and using simple stuff this early. Model T to scalp, trim, add, etc. this morning.

Picked up CRBP this morning. Have had it on my radar and decided to enter a position. Will do the normal covered calls, puts, etc. Quick chart just an image.

FJ43

TRVG

Ummmm....anyone on or in this?

First Page Last Page
Page 3252 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.