Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,079,096 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by El_duderino
Troy91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rolling blackout since 6 am up here in Tarrant county.
gougler08
AG
Ragoo said:

gougler08 said:

All good here in SW Houston...but I guess I'll actually work today
no power here going on 80 minutes

Just hook your bike up to a generator to power at least the coffee machine
backintexas2013
AG
Been out since 2:00am. Not a rolling blackout actual downed power lines.
Thundergon
BREwmaster said:

lots of uranium chatter and setups on fintwit... $DNN

What's driving the uranium craze?

Just want to give my two cents on this item so any investors on this page are informed. As someone that works in the US Nuclear Energy Sector, I can tell you that unless the government makes BIG changes, there will never be any new nuclear power plants built in the US. We can't even finish Vogtle (look up that disaster) which was supposed to usher in the new "nuclear renaissance". The regulations are extremely burdensome, the nuclear plants up north in the unregulated utility markets are struggling to turn a profit, all spent fuel from day 1 of operations is still stored on each site still waiting on the government to figure out what to do with it. Only two plants that I know of have been approved for a second license extension which is a very financially exhaustive process. Unless the government approves of a waste compository site like Yucca mountain, and helps fund new plant builds, reduce overwhelming operating and licensing regulations, and promote positive sentiment to the public about nuclear reactors, the nuclear energy sector is dying. Most plants were only designed for a 40 year operation, so unless they can limp them through an extended operating cycle, they will require major renovations. Small modular reactors are still very far away; the plan was to have each state/region have their own to produce electricity for their region but it simply costs too much. By the time they figure out what to do with nuclear fission on a smaller scale, nuclear fusion will be the next big thing in my opinion and make all the fission plants obsolete. There are too many obstacles from the US going to primarily nuclear despite what the internet may claim. If you want to see a country go full nuclear look at France and soon to be China. China is the only country building new plants. My company is in the process of decommissioning four plants right now which is almost half our nuclear fleet.

PS: nobody hates nuclear more than democrats.
FTAG 2000
AG
Pnr. Going to be a lot of people needing to replace pool equipment here in Texas.
kyle field 94
AG
What are some favorites due to ercot prices printing dollars for the past and Next few days

I played VST in August of 2019 and plan to buy again on Tuesday

What others are out there that will have huge earnings from this week of cold weather?
cageybee77
AG
Looks like a pretty solid company.
Cartographer
POOL as well.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Cummins ($CMI)

I live on the west coast (Southern Oregon) where rolling blackouts have been a thing for a while. Obviously, Cali has them, but they will likely be a norm in Oregon soon.

I'm a civil engineer working on mostly municipal water projects out here and we have seen a huge demand for emergency generators to be used at water pump stations and even treatment plants. Given the huge fire concerns out here, it would be devastating if the pump stations can't operate in the event of a large fire. We actually saw several municipalities lose water pressure last summer during the fires that broke out in September.
AgShaun00
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Cummins ($CMI)

I live on the west coast (Southern Oregon) where rolling blackouts have been a thing for a while. Obviously, Cali has them, but they will likely be a norm in Oregon soon.

I'm a civil engineer working on mostly municipal water projects out here and we have seen a huge demand for emergency generators to be used at water pump stations and even treatment plants. Given the huge fire concerns out here, it would be devastating if the pump stations can't operate in the event of a large fire. We actually saw several municipalities lose water pressure last summer during the fires that broke out in September.
all the water stations and pump stations that we do all have massive generators. Should be norm.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AgShaun00 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Cummins ($CMI)

all the water stations and pump stations that we do all have massive generators. Should be norm.

Agreed. I was shocked when I moved out here. Never designed one in TX without one.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Thundergon said:

BREwmaster said:

lots of uranium chatter and setups on fintwit... $DNN

Just want to give my two cents on this item so any investors on this page are informed. As someone that works in the US Nuclear Energy Sector, I can tell you that unless the government makes BIG changes, there will never be any new nuclear power plants built in the US. We can't even finish Vogtle (look up that disaster) which was supposed to usher in the new "nuclear renaissance". The regulations are extremely burdensome, the nuclear plants up north in the unregulated utility markets are struggling to turn a profit, all spent fuel from day 1 of operations is still stored on each site still waiting on the government to figure out what to do with it. Only two plants that I know of have been approved for a second license extension which is a very financially exhaustive process. Unless the government approves of a waste compository site like Yucca mountain, and helps fund new plant builds, reduce overwhelming operating and licensing regulations, and promote positive sentiment to the public about nuclear reactors, the nuclear energy sector is dying. Most plants were only designed for a 40 year operation, so unless they can limp them through an extended operating cycle, they will require major renovations. Small modular reactors are still very far away; the plan was to have each state/region have their own to produce electricity for their region but it simply costs too much. By the time they figure out what to do with nuclear fission on a smaller scale, nuclear fusion will be the next big thing in my opinion and make all the fission plants obsolete. There are too many obstacles from the US going to primarily nuclear despite what the internet may claim. If you want to see a country go full nuclear look at France and soon to be China. China is the only country building new plants. My company is in the process of decommissioning four plants right now which is almost half our nuclear fleet.

PS: nobody hates nuclear more than democrats.

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/building-uranium-reserve-first-step-preserving-us-nuclear-fuel-cycle

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/USA-plans-revival-of-uranium-sector

https://www.powermag.com/honeywell-to-reopen-sole-u-s-uranium-conversion-plant/

The DOE under the Trump administration realized the countries uranium supply is totally ****ed and within the next couple decades would become totally dependent on imported uranium to keep going. That's fine except that it's a huge national security issue and we need unencumbered domestically produced uranium to keep our weapons arsenal afloat. It's such a significant issue that the Biden admin didn't axe it.

As for the pessimism about nuke power: you're 100% about the current operational fleet and any Gen 2/Gen 3/Gen 3+ design which we currently operate. But you're ignoring the entire SMR/Gen IV innovation going on that will make things more cost effective, the DOE is making sure the NuScale UAMPS project is going to happen by hell or high water, and they gave funding as part of the Advanced Reactor Demonstration Program (ARDP). X-Energy and Terrapower have the ability to make their designs happen.

https://www.powermag.com/nuscale-uamps-kick-off-idaho-smr-nuclear-plant-licensing/

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/us-department-energy-announces-160-million-first-awards-under-advanced-reactor

I share your pessimism about any light water reactor currently existing, the short term looks bleak. But the field is innovating and progressing behind the scenes. And, to be frank, by the time these technologies are deployable the reality of how messed up a renewable electric grid is, combined with continued regulation and tightening down on fracking/natural gas/coal driving up fossil generation costs Gen IV nuclear will be well poised to step in.

This doesn't even factor in the potential for emissions free hydrogen production from nuclear reactors which both the DOE and private industry are working on.

https://www.powermag.com/nuscale-smr-chosen-for-uk-wind-nuclear-hybrid/

https://inl.gov/article/xcel-energy-inl-hydrogen-production/

Thundergon
Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense. I didn't even consider the weapons side of the issue. I would love to see the NuScale SMRs be a total success. I'm routing for them to pull through and be a huge milestone. If this country is serious about renewable energy and zero emission then nuclear has to be the backbone in my opinion because solar and wind won't cut it.
Brewmaster
AG
great points fellas. Hopefully I didn't start a nuclear war, lol. Yes pun intended. Now back to praying our power lasts through tonight. If not, lots of firewood will be burned!
DavysApprentice
AG
Thundergon said:

Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense. I didn't even consider the weapons side of the issue. I would love to see the NuScale SMRs be a total success. I'm routing for them to pull through and be a huge milestone. If this country is serious about renewable energy and zero emission then nuclear has to be the backbone in my opinion because solar and wind won't cut it.

Completely agree that nuclear is the way forward if we actually care about being carbon free but what makes you think fusion is something that would be feasible in any realistic time frame?

All my reading on it shows we haven't even achieved break even and are currently building a massive tokomak called ITER to try and show that it is possible. This has taken billions of dollars and cooperation between multiple countries. Just curious if you have seen anything more promising in the fusion realm
BrokeAssAggie
How's everyone holding up? We lost power from about 6am to noon. Hopefully won't lose it again. Starting a pot of red beans and rice and enjoying a glass of Cab. Cheers to seeing our fruit stock hit $140 to $145 tomorrow

Michael Cera Palin
AG
Thundergon said:

Some European countries (and unfortunately some US states) are going to learn the hard way by the late 2020s/early 2030s that an entirely renewable energy grid won't be able to guarantee affordable power 24/7/365. Especially if they transition the transportation sector from fossil to electric on top of the electric demand as it already is. If they truly want to be 100% carbon free they're going to have to embrace nuclear, specifically SMRs.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents as an optimistic young nuclear engineer, maybe I'll get the same in-the-face slap of reality that everyone else in the industry has experienced at one point or another.

On a side note, if your employer operates any BWRs I most likely worked with y'all during my masters research.
FJ43
I don't know a single thing about nuclear but what I do know is PWestAg18 and Thundergon are talking about things waaaaay above my pay grade.

Y'all just tell me what and where so I can get out of the way.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Michael Cera Palin
AG
Sorry my derail is over. Now you know how I feel 99% of the time trying to catch up with all the action on this thread.
FJ43
PWestAg18 said:

Sorry my derail is over. Now you know how I feel 99% of the time trying to catch up with all the action on this thread.
Oh no y'all carry on! I enjoy the reading and learning about things I'm a window licker about. You guys are sharpening me for sure.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

BlueTaze
Is there any chance of a major sell off tmrw due to national power issues? I assume it's not a real trading issue unless cell provided internet goes down.

Thundergon
I hope you enjoyed your time with Grand Gulf
Thundergon
FJ43 said:

I don't know a single thing about nuclear but what I do know is PWestAg18 and Thundergon are talking about things waaaaay above my pay grade.

We were getting tired of all the oil and gas guys having all the fun so we needed a minute, won't happen again.
FJ43
Thundergon said:

FJ43 said:

We were getting tired of all the oil and gas guys having all the fun so we needed a minute, won't happen again.
Man I enjoyed it. Keep it up!

FJ43

VEON

Slightly different chart view for you guys. This has the Daily Squeeze added in.

My thoughts which maybe worth a nickel here....

• If going to stay with the ascending channel it is forcing itself into a very tight wedge here and into cup completion/handle breakout.
  • Support with 6.5 volume spike when 50 & 200 day EMA came together aligning with the long term channel.
  • $1.72 looks to be new support level.
  • $1.85 (maybe $1.82ish) is cup completion back to July , 2020. You can see it has pinged off that level here 2 times in past several weeks.
  • Squeeze looks like it is about start getting tighter and may be about to break long here. May take 7-10 days yet to pick a direction if all above stays intact.
  • Approx. $2.00 is Model T back to Feb 20.
  • After here $2.65 (gap fill) and $3.12.

Madmarttigan
AG
May be dumb but I sold about 50 2 dollar puts on veon for June and I'm perfectly fine being assigned on with 50 cents of premium on each and my net cost being at 1.50 for 5000 shares.
Formerly tv1113
FJB
AG
Thundergon said:

I am up 45 and 25% respectively on NXE and UEC since late last year. Exhausted supply + low price per lb (inhibiting new entrants while favoring efficient operators), and a demand coming online (China) to me points to gap. This becomes more apparent when O&G is catching a bad rap in favor of the darling (but false promise) alternative energy firms. Each to his own though.
Who is John Galt?

AggieChemist
AG
Lots going on over the long weekend here! What do you guys like for buy & hold this week? (I don't trade options)

More CLOV or FUBO?

New position in NGL, DPW, EBON?
Thundergon
Last post from me on this topic since this is the stock thread.

PWest might know more because I'm not smart enough to understand how to solve the fusion problem, but my bet is it'll be several generations before we can implement anything from it. It's crazy how much money is being poured into it when to me it would make more sense to get small modules up and running before looking at fusion but who knows. The big problem with fission is the potential for a meltdown where with fusion from what I understand that problem doesn't exist and that's a big thing for public sentiment and safety. The big problem with fusion though is they can't figure it out yet and it takes more power to start the reaction then what they can harvest from it like you said. You have guys like Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates throwing millions into funding private fusion research companies including the billions from the ITER cooperation like you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if the fusion race turns into the next space race, metaphorically and literally.
FJB
AG
I rolled out of Veon over the summer but may hop back in. Have they announced their dividend yet?
Who is John Galt?

HoustonAg2014
AG
AggieChemist said:

Lots going on over the long weekend here! What do you guys like for buy & hold this week? (I don't trade options)

More CLOV or FUBO?

New position in NGL, DPW, EBON?

I'm in the exact same situation. I sold my Fubo in short term account to average down on CLOV and it keeps dropping. Hopefully found a base at $12 and starts to make its climb this week. Earnings dates are 1 day apart so you should see movement in both in the next 2 weeks
FJ43
SexyAg said:

I rolled out of Veon over the summer but may hop back in. Have they announced their dividend yet?
I am not aware on that.

VEON and Mastercard about a week ago announced a strategic global partnership for payment technology to boost their digital financial services in key markets. Focuses on VEON's footprint. May be the boost VEON needs over the time here.

cageybee77
AG
Based on fundamentals (if I'm reading them right), odd that the stock isn't priced higher than it is.
Thundergon
I'm hoping this is a rotational week back into the FAANG names. They're all coming off relatively low volume days with solid consolidation setting up good pivots for a move upward. These names may help lead $SPX to 4000 if they get going.

FB - Over 274 has room to 280 which is daily BB as well as strong S/R level. Low volume Friday and dragonfly doji setting up for potential reversal.

AAPL - Declining daily volume on the consolidation period. Gapped down Friday and closed above the previous day close near the mean. Takes out 138 has room to 144. Friday afternoon had a 5-min squeeze fire near close to set up a reversal move back up. The 138 level is key, lots of eyes on that as well so if it can push past look for day traders to step in and juice the move. Needs a big volume day.

AMZN - That is one long weekly squeeze. I think Redler was right when he said that the price is too high for retail to get involved and institutions already own it so it's just in no-man's land. Chart looks very similar to the $AAPL chart regarding consolidation, volume, and Friday's move. I'm watching 3368.

NFLX - Over 567 has room to 591 whish is the daily BB. 575 is a big S/R level though so watch that level as well. This thing has been in a box from 467-575 since last July but if you look at the weekly the uptrend line has been holding steady on the rise within the box.

GOOGL - Consolidating nicely after earnings, holding the 5-day SMA during that period. Has room to the daily BB at 2180. Needs above 2100 then 2115 for move up. Low volume too the past few days.

Watch to see if these names get going. These are day/swing trade setups I am watching. I'm already in $AAPL.
FishrCoAg
AG
Makes me feel good about by September 2.00 calls
First Page Last Page
Page 3251 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.