Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,080,199 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by El_duderino
RigsTx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As someone who also owns the 2/19 $140 strike I hope that this guy knows something.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Wow my 190/200 2/19 spreads gonna pay!
"When you wish upon a star"
Rice and Fries
oldarmy1 said:

There was a 500 contract buy on AAPL 2/19 $140 Strikes the final minute of trading.
They must have seen me buying more $150 2/19 calls at $0.07 like the degenerate I am. At least my cost basis is now $0.40 on those lol.
gougler08
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fairly sure that's global. But WAY ahead of projections when they launched.
My thought as well on both points
McInnis 03
AG
oldarmy1 said:

There was a 500 contract buy on AAPL 2/19 $140 Strikes the final minute of trading.
While y'all have been fretting on the fruit company (you're exempt from the fret OA) I never got in your play but have been holding 130/150/170 fly's for 2/19 and 125/145 spreads for 2/19 as well.

Allow me to give a small hint as to why I prefer these plays to what everyone has been jumping on..........I bought these a few weeks ago when 145calls were lighting up like gangbusters. They were dirt cheap, and I just continue to let theta work for me while the fruit has been floating in my range. Maybe if the fear of open ended options has you down, flys and spreads may be more your thing? Just a thought.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Let's moonshot AAPL and make all us happy, ideally with it closing at 150 on Friday next week
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
RigsTx
AG
NRD09 said:

Can you explain the way you put this trade on? Am I wrong in thinking that spreads are limited upside/limited downside potential?
FbgTxAg
AG
oldarmy1 said:

I hold those very same calls!

"So you're telling me there's a chance!!"
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
sts7049
AG
yep, i got in and out today but i pocketed a nice gain
McInnis 03
AG
I'm going to let NRD answer that question, but in defense of spreads, which have REALLY changed my P/L around.......never let the word "Limited" take you away from profit.

When spreads are entered properly, you can often get 3x-5x return on them if the trade goes in your favor. That kind of return can be difficult even on a normal options trade, and the short side delta protection keeps things from going against you at the rate we've all seen options go against us.

Just food for thought.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
gigemJTH12
AG
oldarmy1 said:

what did you pay for it?
Colt98
AG
I piggy backed a small entry into TRXC with you. First spread for me. When is the ideal time to close it out. The Thursday before the exp date?
FJ43
oldarmy1 said:

Was it you? Asking for a friend.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

kyledr04
AG
Rice and Fries said:

oldarmy1 said:

They must have seen me buying more $150 2/19 calls at $0.07 like the degenerate I am. At least my cost basis is now $0.40 on those lol.

I resisted but it was hard. Even some of the ones near the money like 136-140 were interesting. It wasn't me buying the 500.

I hope my biggest problem next week is that I should have bought more. Otherwise it's all riding on the March calls. I still think it has to go up.
RigsTx
AG
I am definitely interested in learning how to put on Spreads and figuring out the basics to these more advanced derivatives.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
RigsTx said:

NRD09 said:

Can you explain the way you put this trade on? Am I wrong in thinking that spreads are limited upside/limited downside potential?

You're correct, there's limited upside and downside is 0 (total loss), but it costs less to enter and by selling the upper strike you salvage some/ most of the premium cost you paid in buying the lower call. I copy/paste the options chain into a spreadsheet (I've shared it with a few here), choose an upper strike and see what spread has highest profit. I picked 200 as upper strike based on the "200 magnet", often I'll choose a strike that has been getting big options flow, or one strike above it
McInnis 03
AG
RigsTx said:

I am definitely interested in learning how to put on Spreads and figuring out the basics to these more advanced derivatives.

We're all happy to help. What broker do you use as some of them have little intricacies to setting these up?

B&I Key:
RigsTx
AG
NRD09 said:

RigsTx said:

NRD09 said:

You're correct, there's limited upside and downside is 0 (total loss), but it costs less to enter and by selling the upper strike you salvage some/ most of the premium cost you paid in buying the lower call. I copy/paste the options chain into a spreadsheet (I've shared it with a few here), choose an upper strike and see what spread has highest profit. I picked 200 as upper strike based on the "200 magnet", often I'll choose a strike that has been getting big options flow, or one strike above it
Would you mind sharing the spreadsheet again? I'm not confident enough to dive in yet, but would like to start looking at these.

Also, I asked earlier this morning, but wanted to pose the question again about a spreadsheet that y'all use to track pure options plays without owning the underlying shares. Either with buying naked calls or selling puts. I want to track those P/L as well as when I am beginning to sell covered calls and such.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
McInnis 03 said:

When spreads are entered properly, you can often get 3x-5x return on them if the trade goes in your favor.

*ahem*
The 16/19 mvis spreads i paid .12 each for are going to pay 25x if she can hold 19 through the 19th
RigsTx
AG
McInnis 03 said:

RigsTx said:

We're all happy to help. What broker do you use as some of them have little intricacies to setting these up?
I have full options privileges at TDA but only Level 1 options (no spreads) at Schwab.

I was in a hurry earlier this week to get Options Approved on my Schwab account and didn't want to have to wait to go through the risks and such of Spreads/Condors/Butterflies.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
McInnis 03
AG
on TDA, you can easily trade "vertical spreads" from the trading menu. If you use TOS it gets even better. I highly recommend TOS for anyone using TDA. It's worth the amount of time it takes to learn it despite how imposing it is at first.

B&I Key:
RigsTx
AG
I downloaded TOS the other day and haven't had time to familiarize myself with it yet. It is daunting for a pretty much newbie. I'm hoping after OA's seminar at the end of the month along with reading the other thread about TOS setups that I'll be a little less intimidated.
Post removed:
by user
LarryL
RigsTx said:

I downloaded TOS the other day and haven't had time to familiarize myself with it yet. It is daunting for a pretty much newbie. I'm hoping after OA's seminar at the end of the month along with reading the other thread about TOS setups that I'll be a little less intimidated.
TDA has great education and offers webinars on TOS and how to best utilize all the features.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DIS about to hit $200!
aggies4life
AG
Interactive brokers. For pro do most go with fixed or tiered? Also @oldarmy1 please provide your referral link to interactive brokers
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
get them to walk you through it. I will PM you the contact that I did mine with.
sts7049
AG
what i haven't quite grasped yet is how (or when) you make money on them.

ClutchCityAg
DNN up AH
Let it ride
Aggie1391
Do you mind sharing the spreadsheet with me as well?
azul_rain
Any lithium stocks to jump on lads ?
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
McInnis 03
AG
TDA AAPL example.

B&I Key:
McInnis 03
AG
Interesting.....perhaps you could give an example of some that haven't been working for you? I try to give a lot of examples of ones I jump in and why.

B&I Key:
Engine10
AG
king ****, good stuff
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Sure *************. Any of y'all can feel free to email me if you'd like a copy, I'll leave my email up here a couple hours
First Page Last Page
Page 3225 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.