Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,077,593 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by El_duderino
BenRev09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NRD09 said:

FJ43 said:

tsuag10 said:

Question on strategy for selling covered calls:

Is it best to try and sell calls when the share price is nearing the top of a price channel? Or does it really matter if you're planning to keep rolling them up and out on a regular basis?
Sell covered calls into strength. Premiums rise into strength and decline into the bottom.

This. Next time you're watching a stock that's on a run, watch the options chain and see how the premiums get crushed the second it encounters resistance (which greek is that? )

Numerals (IV)
cgh1999
AG
Rice and Fries said:

Going to look at $50 magnet calls about a month out for MGNI. She's gonna want to run to $50

May want to adjust that number. It's $51.50 PM.

Couple days ago I mentioned going net free on MGNI as well as selling some covered calls. I didn't feel great about those shares being taken from me, so I bought them back at a small loss. I'm feeling really good about that decision right now.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ah, lol... see I'm terrible on the greeks!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Anybody in atos? Promising breast cancer drug trial results yesterday. Thinking about selling some puts at open
BrokeAssAggie
I'm hopeful we can go net free on these 2/19 AAPL calls today and just sit back and watch it go to the moon over the next 2 weeks.
sts7049
AG
sts7049 said:

question about my transfer from RH to TDA

this morning i finally see that my transferred assets are starting to show up in TDA. all of the options i was holding in RH now appear...however none of my shares are showing up yet. when i logged into TDA, it's warning me that my account is in a margin call. surely i don't have to address this because it's only because of the transfer happening, yesterday with my holdings it was no issue at all.

thoughts??
disregard. 30min later and the stocks showed up, putting everything into balance now. transfer complete!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Prophet00 said:

Curious what you guys would suggest on trying to maintain a net free strategy when starting with lower capital?

Since I'm just starting out, I'm playing with $2k until I learn more (mainly through trial and error). Using IBIO as an example, buying a position large enough to move into CCs for protection would take more than 50% of your cash. If I'm trying to maintain around 5-10% a position, is it more cost effective to just play options, rather than buy shares?

I'm getting way more comfortable with buying calls and puts, still wrapping my head around selling them, and get completely cross-eyed when you all talk through spreads and butterflies.

Pretty decent video on it.

Spread options are a good way to reduce capital investment, but like the video says, you can get eaten up in the Bid/Ask spread so watch those.

This is a good one as well..

This is great advice. I frequently buy verticals for flow i want to follow, or expensive plays suggested here that i don't want to commit much capital to. Just make sure the bought call in the vertical is the same or lower than the strike suggested in the one-legged play. I used to try and cheap out following plays by buying higher strikes or shorter expirations and i can assure you this is NOT a good strategy. Dudes who dump a million plus into the same call usually aren't guessing at strike, and are never guessing at expiry
jwhitlock3
Excellent info, thanks!
Madmarttigan
AG
Humming this on the way to work this morning with MGNI

Formerly tv1113
jwhitlock3
NRD09 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

So I switched my account in Fidelity to margin and nowhere doesn't show the cost basis for 2 of my holdings.

When I go down and read by the #2 note at the bottom it says it's not available and will show up the next day... but it's been a coupe days and still doesn't show. It's doing this for more than just this ticker.

Anyone know why it does this?

These are assigned puts, right? Mine usually update with cost basis by Tuesday, not sure why yours are taking so long

If he just switched his account to margin that may be why, it takes Fidelity 3 or 4 days to journal existing positions over from cash to margin. New positions after that you'll enter as margin. Just to clarify you're not using margin so long as you have the cash. When it settles it will go pull from cash first and won't use margin unless the cash isn't there. That confused me when I switched over so I thought I'd share.
TexGill
AG
$MGNI
Hello 10-bagger!!!
FJ43
SNDL - 5.5M share buy on the 1 Minute right at 8am EST
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

McInnis 03
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Prophet00 said:

Curious what you guys would suggest on trying to maintain a net free strategy when starting with lower capital?

Since I'm just starting out, I'm playing with $2k until I learn more (mainly through trial and error). Using IBIO as an example, buying a position large enough to move into CCs for protection would take more than 50% of your cash. If I'm trying to maintain around 5-10% a position, is it more cost effective to just play options, rather than buy shares?

I'm getting way more comfortable with buying calls and puts, still wrapping my head around selling them, and get completely cross-eyed when you all talk through spreads and butterflies.

Pretty decent video on it.

Spread options are a good way to reduce capital investment, but like the video says, you can get eaten up in the Bid/Ask spread so watch those.

This is a good one as well..

Careful listening to the first kid....he has decent ideas but in skimming his videos, he had flaws in his suggestions to hold spreads into expiry (!!???) When they were bordering itm/otm strikes....causing people to lose serious money over weekend assignments
ThreeFive
AG
Curious if anyone is still in the NLS Feb 19 $30 calls. My cost basis is at $.52 but PTON's discouraging response to earnings doesn't give much upside.
mc_shipman
My transfer out of Robinhood into TDA completed this morning. Started the process over the weekend if anyone is looking for a time frame.
McInnis 03
AG
ThreeFive said:

Curious if anyone is still in the NLS Feb 19 $30 calls. My cost basis is at $.52 but PTON's discouraging response to earnings doesn't give much upside.

I am. Your cost is way lower than mine. You'll have a opportunity to get out of you want on any 10 minute run-up
gig em 02
STG - are y'all on this already? Had that (Josh) Lambo look to it.
FJ43
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43
ThreeFive said:

I am. I'm slightly red at the moment but will give it a few more days for a pop.

WestTexAg12
AG
TexGill said:

$MGNI
Hello 10-bagger!!!

I sold half of my shares yesterday at 43. What a dumbass.
Post removed:
by user
Fightin_Aggie
AG
TexGill said:

$MGNI
Hello 10-bagger!!!
What is the news on MGNI making it run premarket?

Found it

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/magnite-to-buy-spotx-in-24117-billion-cash-and-stock-deal/ar-BB1dq7Ky
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Mostly Foggy Recollection
When did you initiate the transfer? My in-law is now on Day 8 and no communication from TDA/RH on his other than a confirmation that the initiation was successful from TDAs end.
Walton2016
AG
I am waiting for the same. Most, not all of my shares have made the transfer. But none of my fractional shares did. I thought these would sell and transfer as cash (not alot of them).
sts7049
AG
initiated it last friday, 1/29
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Just closed out my MGNI position. Rocketship forthcoming for those of you still in it.
On the one hand...this post aged well (you're all welcome, by the way).

On the other hand...I could have increased my portfolio value by 10% if I had waited to today. No one goes broke taking profit, but man this one hurts...
McInnis 03
AG
Seriously, congratulations to all you MGNI holders. This was a play I executed so so poorly. (yes, two so's in there). I was selling CC's on MGNI to increase cash flow, and when MGNI blew up, this play bit me in the ass harder than a cave full of mating rattlesnakes. At the end of me taking care of the debts owed on the CC's that blew up, I was left with a measely 33 shares. Thankfully those shares are cost basis $6.45 on the P/L (even though they're truly net free).

I am certain that inside this thread there are people holding hundreds, thousands, and OA's tens (hundreds) of thousands of shares. I want to say congrats to all of you and I'm very happy for y'all.

Way to ****ing go kids.
Rice and Fries
cgh1999 said:

Rice and Fries said:

Going to look at $50 magnet calls about a month out for MGNI. She's gonna want to run to $50

May want to adjust that number. It's $51.50 PM.

Couple days ago I mentioned going net free on MGNI as well as selling some covered calls. I didn't feel great about those shares being taken from me, so I bought them back at a small loss. I'm feeling really good about that decision right now.

I totally mistyped and meant $60..... jk. Wow MGNI can't stop and won't stop.
TChaney
third coast.. said:

can one of you chartists tell me what you see on this chart from $VEON? It looks like i is approaching the Model T at 1.75. It also looks like a tricksy move back in late January. It went below the 200 EMA for some time but is now back over it. Id appreciate some insight for no other reason than to learn what things are saying!

I saw this stock a while back and did not get in
I'm always looking for goal posts and this one looked like a good candidate - 32 million volume day back in Sept was thinking there might be a second one pop up but it never did.
Have it on a watch list though, curious as well.

0708aggie
AG
A lot of us are in June $2 calls.
Red Red Wine
AG
If it makes you feel any better I didn't have any shares of MGNI.

Got on this thread too late or didn't see the call on it when it was below $5. So you can feel better about making greater than zero since I made zero!
Red Red Wine
AG
Not sure about a company serving the former Soviet block countries with a prior name of:

VimpelCom Ltd.
jj9000
AG
Red Red Wine said:

Not sure about a company serving the former Soviet block countries with a prior name of:

VimpelCom Ltd.

In USSR...you don't own VimpelCom.

VimpelCom owns you.
wanderer
Who could have ever predicted this for MGNI??

tlepoC
AG
Meh, I eeked out an extra 3k bucks on my cc's. 3k is better than 80k, right?

But seriously, unless it's SDC, if you ever see me sell a cc... Just stay in the stock. It's about to rocket.
First Page Last Page
Page 3109 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.