Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,077,934 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by El_duderino
Brewmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ag94whoop said:

Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

No.

It dips, Clover addresses, and it shoots up. Both win.

I've heard of coordination like this before. May be nothing, but it crossed my mind.

Maybe a squeeze play?
it will definitely squeeze when they release news.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

I have 20 of those sold $7.5 calls for WWR. You described my thoughts - I will wait for it to get closer to decide what I'll do. If there's a big pullback I'll use that to buy them back. If we are over $8.50 or so on expiry day I will likely roll them out and up. If we are close to the strike I may just let those shares get assigned.

It will depend on what my ROR looks like for the additional value of rolling up versus the capital at $7.50/share for the additional time.

I've got the same thing... $7.5 Feb and $10 Feb and the. $7.50 May which I have already accepted will be expired losing my shares but luckily those are the fewest number of shares of them all. I was wondering the same thing so good to know yalls strategy. Hoping it stays at $7.49 then moon shots on 2/22
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Prophet00 said:

Curious what you guys would suggest on trying to maintain a net free strategy when starting with lower capital?

Since I'm just starting out, I'm playing with $2k until I learn more (mainly through trial and error). Using IBIO as an example, buying a position large enough to move into CCs for protection would take more than 50% of your cash. If I'm trying to maintain around 5-10% a position, is it more cost effective to just play options, rather than buy shares?

I'm getting way more comfortable with buying calls and puts, still wrapping my head around selling them, and get completely cross-eyed when you all talk through spreads and butterflies.

Pretty decent video on it.

Spread options are a good way to reduce capital investment, but like the video says, you can get eaten up in the Bid/Ask spread so watch those.

This is a good one as well..

ag94whoop
AG
BREwmaster said:

ag94whoop said:

No.

I've heard of coordination like this before. May be nothing, but it crossed my mind.

Maybe a squeeze play?
I sure could use one of those 10-20X squeezes.
Prophet00
AG
Thanks, I'll definitely check those both out!
FJ43
zwhag2010 said:

FJ43 said:

WWR

I know many of us are in this for the value it has ahead and of course being one of OA's favorite 2021 picks but not sure if anyone has ever posted of a chart of our little WWR.

Wanted to look back at it today to see what, why and when. Interesting where we are today and why rejecting levels the past week. Its healthy just find it funny every time when you look at the details.

Look back to October. Voooo Dooooo

I'm in a situation where half of my covered calls are in Feb 7.5s and thus currently in the money. Not sure best course of action other than wait until it gets closer to expiration and time decay becomes bigger issue. It could very well pull back or even land on 7.5 on the dot like it did for 5 last month.

Thoughts?
I am probably in line with BKL's (Bob Knights Liver) response. If they were 50% of my shares on a $7.50 call and I was in this for a $15 price target., I would wait to see if I can buy them back or roll them to a higher strike further out date. It may cost you a little for example to roll to $12.50s but with a $5 higher called away price tag. If we see a pullback that happens in a shorter time frame intraday, that is probably a good time.

Not sure I would do 100% of them though. Not knowing your entry cost you probably still have a very nice return for a relatively short period of time at $7.50+ premium paid to you on part of your shares. And your costs basis on remaining shares reduced a bunch as related to WWR shares.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

kyle field 94
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

Bob Knights Liver said:

I have 20 of those sold $7.5 calls for WWR. You described my thoughts - I will wait for it to get closer to decide what I'll do. If there's a big pullback I'll use that to buy them back. If we are over $8.50 or so on expiry day I will likely roll them out and up. If we are close to the strike I may just let those shares get assigned.

It will depend on what my ROR looks like for the additional value of rolling up versus the capital at $7.50/share for the additional time.

I've got the same thing... $7.5 Feb and $10 Feb and the. $7.50 May which I have already accepted will be expired losing my shares but luckily those are the fewest number of shares of them all. I was wondering the same thing so good to know yalls strategy. Hoping it stays at $7.49 then moon shots on 2/22

You have a few options:

1. Do nothing and let them get called away if greater than 7.50

2. Buy the 7.50 feb, sell the 7.50 March and collect more premium

3. Buy the 7.50 feb, and sell a further out strike and month for flat. With out looking at the values, you might be able to buy the feb 7.50 call back and sell the match 10.00 call at flat.
By doing the roll at flat, you are in the same premium position, but can pick up 2.50 in strike prices, but it locks your shares up for another month or longer
Madmarttigan
AG
ag94whoop said:

BREwmaster said:

ag94whoop said:

No.

Maybe a squeeze play?

I'll be justttt fine with a price of 30
Formerly tv1113
FJ43
Prophet00 said:

Curious what you guys would suggest on trying to maintain a net free strategy when starting with lower capital?

Since I'm just starting out, I'm playing with $2k until I learn more (mainly through trial and error). Using IBIO as an example, buying a position large enough to move into CCs for protection would take more than 50% of your cash. If I'm trying to maintain around 5-10% a position, is it more cost effective to just play options, rather than buy shares?

I'm getting way more comfortable with buying calls and puts, still wrapping my head around selling them, and get completely cross-eyed when you all talk through spreads and butterflies.
I see a video was posted at least on options to help.

In terms of net free the shares don't have to be expensive to use covered calls or a net free approach. It may be hard to keep it to 5-10% of your account in some cases but an example would be SNDL purely for share cost and premium on calls. Buy 200 shares for lets say $1 (I know its above that now). Turn around and sell covered calls on half for .25 each (or more). You just lowered your cost basis on all the shares by $25 overall. If you work them you can often rinse and repeat that. Spikes you sell covered calls and falling back down you can often buy them back for a profit.

CIDM is another example. No options to use as leverage though. If you were following OA's lead on this one you bought around the mid $0.60s. Buy 200 for $0.65 each for a total of $130. You could sell 100 now and get all your capital back plus some profit. You are net fee on 100 shares and some extra to add in.

Doesn't have to be 100 share blocks either Just if you want to use options as part of the strategy.

One edit. Could be 10 shares you buy. When the price is to a certain point you can sell 7 shares that get all your capital back and now you have 3 net free.

Hope that helped a little.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Prophet00
AG
Absolutely. I actually did do your example on SNDL earlier this week, and have 200 of my 300 shares on CCs.

When you say buy them back, you mean just buy additional calls at a lower price when the premium drops, or do I actually close the sold call?
Ags2013
AG
ag94whoop said:

BREwmaster said:

ag94whoop said:

No.

Maybe a squeeze play?

Why not 100-200X?
Post removed:
by user
leoj
AG
FJ43 said:

Hope I am not wearing y'all out with charts. Having fun and checking up on our 'kids' many have invested in.

MBIO

Not time to panic it hasn't went to the moon. Look at what was resistance and what is now appearing to be support. If it get lonely higher $4 is home. More importantly look at the volume profile.

Long for me.

A similar move

sts7049
AG
you're buying back the call you sold (buying to close). hopefully, at less of a premium than what you received when you sold it
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
for WWR:

• If it's under $8.20, I will buy the calls back for profit and sell March $10/12
  • If it's between $8.20 and $10 on expiration day, I will roll the calls out and up for profit, probably to march $12s, depending on how close it is to $10
  • If it's between $10 and $12, I will roll to a higher strike far enough out to make it worth it
  • If its over $12, I will take getting called out, and then ruthlessly sell $7.5, $9, or $10P to get back in or keep collecting premium.
FJ43
Prophet00 said:

Absolutely. I actually did do your example on SNDL earlier this week, and have 200 of my 300 shares on CCs.

When you say buy them back, you mean just buy additional calls at a lower price when the premium drops, or do I actually close the sold call?
Lets say you sold the covered calls for $0.30. Sometimes when the shares waffle, momentum shifts or decline that $0.30 becomes 0.10 for example. May take a few days or week or something but they often due at some point. In those cases if I determine the stock is still healthy and within the support and resistance levels I might buy them back (especially when I am bored) for $0.10 and pocket the $0.20 per share. Then when you have another quick movement or that calls rise in price to a higher level resell again.

Sell to open on covered calls.
Buy to close when you want them back.

If something is in a channel consolidating you can often repeat this if you are willing to dedicate the time to execute the trades. As far as I am concerned, God willing, I have more time than money. I will work it like a rib as I go to get me as fast as possible to net free and move on..

irish pete ag06
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

for WWR:

• If it's under $8.20, I will buy the calls back for profit and sell March $10/12
  • If it's between $8.20 and $10 on expiration day, I will roll the calls out and up for profit, probably to march $12s, depending on how close it is to $10
  • If it's between $10 and $12, I will roll to a higher strike far enough out to make it worth it
  • If its over $12, I will take getting called out, and then ruthlessly sell $7.5, $9, or $10P to get back in or keep collecting premium.

Thanks for this. I'm so new to options... that FEB19 is a big date for me. I have several calls and puts to make decisions on. I have already done some buying back of calls and covered calls, but I haven't had any get near expiration yet. This all makes sense.
gougler08
AG
NRD09 said:

gougler08 said:

TTOO going nuts AH

Up 45% now WHAT!?

My Feb 2.50 calls may be long gone
Prophet00
AG
That totally makes sense, thanks for taking the time to explain it!

I'll need to do some digging in TOS to understand the tool for buying back. I'm guessing it's just closing the position? Not rolling it, right?

(Sorry for the newbie questions)
zag213004
AG

for WWR:

I you were referring to my post I think this is a great strategy
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
$SANA IPO'd today and even though it took off out of the gates at 40%+ I think it still has room. There's a lot of buzz around it.
DisAg
Was doing some google fu trying to find an upcoming patent infringement lawsuit that was being decided on Feb 13th one of my boxing mates was mentioning to me. I had forgotten the damn ticker (still haven't found the damn thing)

I stumbled across this company. https://virnetx.com/

They won a lawsuit against Apple, have also won the appeal case. They stand to collect somewhere around 1.1 Billion for patent infringements related to Facetime technology used by Apple.

Now if I am reading the market cap right, they are sitting at a worth of around 478 mil. Stock has been steadily going up since the decision has been given, but this still would be a good stock to park some money in correct?

ticker has them at 6.72 per

Sorry if this was already discussed.
ebdb_bnb
irish pete ag06 said:

for WWR:

Thanks for this. I'm so new to options... that FEB19 is a big date for me. I have several calls and puts to make decisions on. I have already done some buying back of calls and covered calls, but I haven't had any get near expiration yet. This all makes sense.
My recommendation (and this is in general not specific to your positions) for non weekly options is to make the decision to close or roll (long options) 7 days prior to expiration. The more experienced you get, you can cut the number of days down.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
gougler08 said:

NRD09 said:

gougler08 said:

TTOO going nuts AH

Up 45% now WHAT!?

Covered calls? Did i buy them?
Thinking i may sell $5 calls against mine in the morning. Not sure what I'll do about my jan 2022 LEAP, which i believe is already net free.

Still don't know what the news is.
Brewmaster
AG
zwhag2010 said:

for WWR:

I you were referring to my post I think this is a great strategy
yep 30k speaks from great experience

going out to March $10's will also afford you roughly the same $, more if you sell them on a rip -- very well could see $9 soon at this rate.
Brewmaster
AG
this one has my interest... also has options and definitely has goal posts! for cc's, at close you could sell the March 12.50's for .63.

gougler08
AG
NRD09 said:

gougler08 said:

NRD09 said:

gougler08 said:

TTOO going nuts AH

Up 45% now WHAT!?

Covered calls? Did i buy them?
Thinking i may sell $5 calls against mine in the morning. Not sure what I'll do about my jan 2022 LEAP, which i believe is already net free.

Still don't know what the news is.

Haha yep, the covered calls have been really good to me on this so was just a matter of time until I was called out. The stock also loves to flash up and then back down so guess we will see. And I'm pretty sure this is the driver:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/t2-biosystems-t2sars-cov-2-210500373.html
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ah that would be cool, but they had similar news a couple weeks ago with the new "super contagious variant" and it didn't move the needle. Stonktwits suggesting short squeeze (like everything else) and wsb involvement on this one...
FJ43
Prophet00 said:

That totally makes sense, thanks for taking the time to explain it!

I'll need to do some digging in TOS to understand the tool for buying back. I'm guessing it's just closing the position? Not rolling it, right?

(Sorry for the newbie questions)
No worries at all. Yes buying back will be closing it.

No tool required on TOS. Just open the chart for the stock. Click on the "Trade" button at the very top next to the other things like Monitor, Charts, etc., select Options chain to see the options. On TOS it shows you where you have a position in the options chain. If you want to close (buy back) a covered call just click on the Bid price and a sell order tab will automatically open up on the bottom of your screen. Adjust the number of contracts you want to buy back, the price you want if pay if different that the bid and hit place order.

Simple as that.

Colt98
AG
I had some WWR FEB7.5 in my dads IRA. I went to may and sold the 15's and made and extra 1.10. today. It was with 25% of his shares but I didn't want to loose them and I figured in MAy if they get called out thats a heck of a return for him.
Prophet00
AG
Thanks, I really appreciate the help!
HalifaxAg
AG
Sorry, maybe a stupid question, but why can I see somethings that are quoted and other times I just see the brown-shaded box with no text.
FJ43
HalifaxAg said:

Sorry, maybe a stupid question, but why can I see somethings that are quoted and other times I just see the brown-shaded box with no text.
Is it compressed? Does it have a place to click to expand?

FJ43
BREwmaster said:

this one has my interest... also has options and definitely has goal posts! for cc's, at close you could sell the March 12.50's for .63.

Traderstewie usually finds some good ones. Will check it out o'dark 30 in the morning.

sts7049
AG
it's because this forum cant figure out how to get embedded tweets to show up properly
First Page Last Page
Page 3106 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.