Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,047,260 Views | 231655 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
TexasAg2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow that was a lot to catch up on. Bring on Monday!
McInnis 03
AG
gig em 02 said:

backintexas2013 said:

So VIX was up early tonight and now down a little. What are your thoughts?
"If you arent trading futures then dont pay attention to them" Irish (RIP)

He's here
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
gougler08
AG
We now have the upgraded model, Irish 2.0

Proposition Joe
So many want to continually make the stock market political but can never seem to actually pinpoint what actions are going to cause what and when.

Almost like you can't really predict it.
Brewmaster
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

Ahem....
if anything this has me bullish for the coming weeks. What would be helpful is the drop in SPX that corresponded to these volatility jumps. I checked most of the ones in the last 5 years, none were big drops, just all necessary pullbacks.

3685 recaptured in futures, whoot whoot!
Mr President Elect
AG
Anyone have a script (excel, python, whatever) for generating readable / meaninful reports from a csv of their trading history? Such as I have my equity trading history but it doesn't include shares sold via covered calls or purchased via puts. I have my options history but nothing is grouped together in a meaningful way.
Brewmaster
AG
Proposition Joe said:

So many want to continually make the stock market political but can never seem to actually pinpoint what actions are going to cause what and when.

That's why you learn technicals and trade off those and forget the noise. For example, 3685 was recaptured tonight in ES (SPX futures), if that holds into tomorrow morning, we can run a bit. Recapture 3730 and we could run a bit more.
gig em 02
Proposition Joe said:

January 20, 2021 - Joe Biden ignorantly cancels the keystone pipeline and destroys 50,000 jobs.
January 20, 2021 - January 29, 2021 - XOP, XOM, HAL, RDS, BP etc. drop 10%

Go back and look at OA's calls on MOMO after The Big Guy won. Completely political analysis. Completely correct.
FJ43
Geez thought I would read a few posts before bedtime and a 3am rise to get this show on the road. Had to double check I wasn't on a Premium game day thread after the first 3 and out.

It's a long game. Buckle up, be disciplined, stick to the fundamentals and lets go.
Proposition Joe
gig em 02 said:

Proposition Joe said:

January 20, 2021 - Joe Biden ignorantly cancels the keystone pipeline and destroys 50,000 jobs.

Go back and look at OA's calls on MOMO after The Big Guy won. Completely political analysis. Completely correct.

I think we have all learned OA is a rare breed.

The majority of the other political market predictions in the thread amount to confirmation bias about the market tanking because something they didn't like politically happened (or is going to happen), and some natural and/or un-related spike or dip in the market at an undetermined time in the future is given the attribution.
FbgTxAg
AG
Global Silver is up 7% as of now. The Reddit mob is definitely gonna come for it tomorrow.

I don't like it long term, but it's gonna go up tomorrow significantly - that's just the wacky world we're in right now. Some SLV calls might be pretty lucrative 35, 40, 45, 50 or higher are possible tomorrow or this week if this thing catches the fever.

Doesn't matter to me who's pushing it or why - I just want to make $$.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
backintexas2013
AG
I have tomorrow circled for EGOC and didn't put why. Fail on my part.
ebdb_bnb
So now Reddit is on the side of institutional money? I can't keep track.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Holy smokes, I just had to read 150 posts on a Sunday!
docaggie
AG
backintexas2013 said:

I have tomorrow circled for EGOC and didn't put why. Fail on my part.
Wasn't it something like a court date in which someone was going to take possession of the stock ticker? Or something like that? I dunno, I could be wrong. Just going off of memory.
Class of 1998;
Husband of an Aggie, Class of 1999;
Father to future Class of 2029 and 2031
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jet Black
Futures green
Dan Scott
AG
February 1 is the date of the custody hearing for David Lazar to takeover. Usually there is a pump going into the hearing. That's already happened. Then if it's granted, a pump on any news of what will be done with the company, but that isn't immediate. So you have the initial runup then with no news, people slowly lose patience and the stock drifts back down. Then boom something happens.

It's really like how OA describes a goalpost trade. That is assuming this is all legit and Lazar is going to turn it into a real company that is has connections to Biden administration.
McInnis 03
AG
Jet Black said:

Futures green

Stonk witchcraft!
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
gig em 02
Proposition Joe said:

gig em 02 said:

Proposition Joe said:

The majority of the other political market predictions in the thread amount to confirmation bias about the market tanking because something they didn't like politically happened (or is going to happen), and some natural and/or un-related spike or dip in the market at an undetermined time in the future is given the attribution.
Can you give me some examples?
Post removed:
by user
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm not one to be super optimistic based on futures but damn if that wasn't one hell of a turn around.
Formerly tv1113
Philip J Fry
AG
McInnis 03 said:

3 ways to purchase stock:
1) buy shares outright (simple, no strings attached)
2) buy calls (strings attached, you paid extra for the shares in premium, normally only makes sense above strike and with premium added in)
3) sell puts (strings attached, you got premium for the guarantee that you're buying if it's below your strike)

3 ways to sell stock:
1) sell shares outright (simple, no strings attached)
2) buy puts (strings attached, you paid extra for the selling ability in premium, normally only makes sense when shares below strike and with premium subtracted)
3) sell calls (strings attached, you got premium for the guarantee that you're selling if it's above your strike)

It took me awhile to get a mental grip on calls and puts, both long and short

If I could bookmark a single post, this would be it. I still almost understood about half of it.

I'd be curious to read up on the history of options at some point. Sounds so much more complicated than just buying stonks.
Bird Poo
AG
Philip J Fry said:

McInnis 03 said:

2) buy calls (strings attached, you paid extra for the shares in premium, normally only makes sense above strike and with premium added in)
3) sell puts (strings attached, you got premium for the guarantee that you're buying if it's below your strike)

3 ways to sell stock:
2) buy puts (strings attached, you paid extra for the selling ability in premium, normally only makes sense when shares below strike and with premium subtracted)
3) sell calls (strings attached, you got premium for the guarantee that you're selling if it's above your strike)

If I could bookmark a single post, this would be it. I still almost understood about half of it.

I'd be curious to read up on the history of options at some point. Sounds so much more complicated than just buying stonks.

For the life of me I cannot grasp this yet. Been doing well with regular calls so perhaps I should just stick to that.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Engine10
AG
Try paper trading some of the stuff you're not grasping and play those out - I had to have some shares called away on a sold call before the light went on re: the mechanics Mcinnis described.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
That would jive with where many pros predicted the 2021 top will be... 4500 S&P

Interesting. Thanks for that tweet.
Proposition Joe
gig em 02 said:

Proposition Joe said:

gig em 02 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Can you give me some examples?

There's plenty if you peruse back through the thread. Really no reason to derail the stock talk, just pointing out that there is a lot political confirmation bias on how people think the market is going to go, and it's right just about as often as flipping a coin.
Philip J Fry
AG

So professional stock guys are saying 4500, but your lobbyist is saying 700? Something has to give here. What big thing is coming that we aren't seeing? China calling in our debt?
Proposition Joe
Philip J Fry said:

So professions stock guys are saying 4500, but your lobbyist is saying 700? Something has to give here. What big thing is coming that we aren't seeing? China calling in our debt?

He said his lobbyist was saying worst case scenario.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Proposition Joe said:

Philip J Fry said:

So professions stock guys are saying 4500, but your lobbyist is saying 700? Something has to give here. What big thing is coming that we aren't seeing? China calling in our debt?

He said his lobbyist was saying worst case scenario.

This. My worst case scenario was 2000.

That's if what was relayed to me came to fruition. Until it does, it's all a mental gymnastics exercise.

I'll say this... absolutely nothing would surprise me in 2021. I think you all share that sentiment.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yes, I understand that. Also said 2000.

I'm still hung up on what would cause that kind of crash?
Brewmaster
AG
PearlJammin said:

Philip J Fry said:

McInnis 03 said:

3 ways to sell stock:

For the life of me I cannot grasp this yet. Been doing well with regular calls so perhaps I should just stick to that.
I am teaching a friend of mine selling covered calls via SNDL. It has weekly options, is a dirt cheap stock (under $1, but maybe not for long). So you could practice weekly or even more on this one. Sell CC's on the rips, buy them back on the dips. Do that with 100 shares or whatever you are comfortable with. Or if you want more shares (to sell half on the next rip for net free), that's a great strategy as well.

Now with the next bit, sell 1 put on SNDL. You could sell the $1 put for this week and potentially get assigned. Just do this with 1 contract, see how it works. This might also need adjusting. If it runs in the a.m., you may end up selling the 1.50 or the $2 (something close to the money).

3rd, buy 2 SNDL calls. Go for $1.50 maybe, depending on SP in the a.m. Idea would be to buy them before it runs hard, then sell 1 into strength (ideally for a double, boom you are net free).

Practice for me helps make all of this make sense. I could have read it 100 times and still had the confused stare of a cow looking at a new gate.
Ornithopter
AG
I was looking at the MGPI chart, is there a head and shoulders forming?
Proposition Joe
Philip J Fry said:

A Godzilla v Mothra type scenario stateside.
Ornithopter
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Philip J Fry said:

A Godzilla v Mothra type scenario stateside.

Spyder man from F-16 has been right all along
First Page Last Page
Page 3024 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.