Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,076,389 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by El_duderino
CPDAggie10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

I got away from my comfort zone last week and went below 50% cash, but I justified it based on technicals and this market being on meth. It paid off, but it was stupid IMO.

If you don't mind me asking, are you typically in 50%+ cash? What is your thoughts behind that strategy?

Based on some of you posts I assume you are working with a pretty good chunk. Are you being extra conservative to protect the fruits of your labor in the event of a massive crash ala February/March 2020?

I know many on here have different approaches on how much cash they have on the sidelines. I myself rarely have much cash on the sidelines, and am concerned that is not the best approach.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Be careful. a large move on these guys is going to be based on Operational Metrics in an inflationary copper period.

If their Op metrics are not where the street believes they should be based on the increase in Copper prices, it will get slaughtered.

Mining stocks get crushed all the time despite growth in their metals underlying price. Price rises into earnings and if they don't deliver on Op, here comes the anvil.
In the event of a market correction, it is great to have a chunk sitting idle to buy the bottom-ish. If you don't, not only are you down, but you don't have the cash to create large upside.

I had dwindled down to 18% cash and I was in 23! options plays and 7 swing trades. Had the market crashed yesterday, I would have been pissed at myself because I didn't follow my plan.

I also have 2%-5% of my portfolio in hedges... UVXY shares/calls, SPY puts, QQQ puts.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Agreed. Preservation of capital is huge, especially while you're still getting a feel for options and decay.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
We started rotating streaming services as well. I told Netflix we were canceling because they raised prices, but it's really just rotation. Maybe if enough make a stink about the price increases it makes them think they're reaching near the top of their price point and won't keep raising.
zag213004
AG

I'm waist deep in MSFT and AAPL. Could be a bigger week than GILD week the first week of January.

I'm expecting to blow the top off of AAPL and marginally confident in MSFT.

Also looking at PINS.

The cherry on top would be XL moving north of 24, preferably 27 plus, but I don't think that happens until the first/second week of February.

I got away from my comfort zone last week and went below 50% cash, but I justified it based on technicals and this market being on meth. It paid off, but it was stupid IMO.

I need a whippin. May ask the wife for that.

You thinking a blow off top up to or thru earnings? I have a hundred shares in tax acct and debating whether or not this will get this high again in the near future. Or to take profits

Obvious AAPL is one of those stocks you hold for a long time usually but I am looking at taking some stuff off the table for profit
leoj
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Seminar registrants should have received an email this morning. If you didn't please email.

FYI to everyone else, it was in my junk folder
It's been leaked and discussed that AAPL is expected to crush earnings. That's part of the recent run up.

A lot of 155-160 price targets being put out there by analysts and traders. I believe Redler or Kav (can't remember which one) called 157 EOW next week.
zag213004
AG

It's been leaked and discussed that AAPL is expected to crush earnings. That's part of the recent run up.

A lot of 155-160 price targets being put out there by analysts and traders. I believe Redler or Kav (can't remember which one) called 157 EOW next week.

Yeah I guess being burned thru earnings has me cautious (a company may crush it but go down significantly) but talking thru it I think that these stimulus checks that are likely within the month will get more work from home traders to enter into names like AAPL, TSLA, etc
Ragoo
AG

145.01 and I am tickled to death
My shares will do what they do, and I'm not concerned.

I went net free on my calls yesterday, so I took those off the table and will ride the earnings.

I agree that playing earnings is extremely risky, but this market is on coke, meth and red bull all at once. If this were to pop north of 150 after earnings, and heaven help us BEFORE, I'd be up 1100% on my AAPL calls and since I recouped initial investment I'm riding.

Haha, same. I'm already tickled with the 140.37 close.

Assuming no funny bidness, I expect a gap up on Monday.
Ragoo
AG

Haha, same. I'm already tickled with the 140.37 close.

Assuming no funny bidness, I expect a gap up on Monday.
I bought the 135/145 spread for like $4 yesterday. Felt stupid cheap.
KT 90
AG
EnronAg said:

How does someone new to this thread get in on this seminar registration? Would love to learn more about investing during this historic bull market.

It's full. He may add another and/or make the recording available. But that is still tbd per OA's recent replies to this.
ThreeFive
AG
For those who are already registered to OA's seminar, I will cover your registration fees in exchange for a recording. Please send PM if interested.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Probably not a good idea unless cleared by OA. All of the revenue is going to charity I believe.
AgEE10
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

Probably not a good idea unless cleared by OA. All of the revenue is going to charity I believe.
You get two views with each seminar entry, one live and one link for the recorded version (one view). I think that is what he is referring to.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
AgEE10 said:

Bob Knights Liver said:

You get two views with each seminar entry, one live and one link for the recorded version (one view). I think that is what he is referring to.

And OA already OK'd sharing with folks.
cjo03
AG
Since this thread is about making money, I have a registration I will sell for $500...

Kidding of course. Can't make the seminar but looking forward to the collective IQ of the thread going up and bringing ideas back here.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Well then, I stand corrected.
bigtoneag
AG
Noted...I've definitely seen them get crushed.
Implied moves (+\-)for earnings next week

$AAPL 6.7%
$TSLA 8.9%
$FB 7.1%
$MSFT 4.8%
$AMD 8.7%

wmitchell
AG
Have a friend that is wanting to start learning - what is the best book for beginners?
BPCAg05
AG
Thinking about AMD 1/29 $100c for a lottery play this week
Ragoo
AG
BPCAg05 said:

Thinking about AMD 1/29 $100c for a lottery play this week
i don't follow the logic behind this. Current price is $92 and change. You would pay $1.80 for the $100c. Needing a near $10 move to break even.

If you think the stock goes to $100+, buy the $90c and sell the $100c for $3.50. That is only $0.80 premium to yesterday's close with the upside of $10 spread. Or ($10.00 - $3.50) / $0.80 = 800% return.
wanderer
Your logic on why you would want to do is spread is sound, but your % return calculation is off. 3.50 investment for a max 6.50 profit isn't 800%.
Ragoo
AG
wanderer said:

Your logic on why you would want to do is spread is sound, but your % return calculation is off. 3.50 investment for a max 6.50 profit isn't 800%.
i was using the $0.80 risk to the current intrinsic value bought.
oldarmy1
AG
leoj said:

oldarmy1 said:

Seminar registrants should have received an email this morning. If you didn't please email.

FYI to everyone else, it was in my junk folder
Well check it for another email because the first email was only to GoToMeeting main page. I sent another email with a meeting ID for testing connectivity and such.
BT1395
AG
This one worked perfectly - looking forward to it!
BrokeAssAggie
jimmo
Joined w/o issue
thanks OA
installed the app, but worked fine.

w/ browser.. looks like I needed a login/acct w/ GTM.
didn't see the "join" button in the top right
app worked though
59 South
AG
This made me think of the posters on other threads vs us on this thread...

TheCellarDoor
AG
I'm ready to dump Fidelity, and I want the full extended market (3am to 7pm) with GTC orders including extended hours. I know interactive brokers offers that, but their mobile app reviews are terrible. Any experience with Webull? Any others to check out?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
TheCellarDoor said:

I'm ready to dump Fidelity, and I want the full extended market (3am to 7pm) with GTC orders including extended hours. I know interactive brokers offers that, but their mobile app reviews are terrible. Any experience with Webull? Any others to check out?
same camp as you, but I am not a mobile app trader.

I use TOS as my secondary, but their fees suck. I am also looking at Tasty Works.
59 South
AG
Y'all please figure out the best platform cause I'm convinced it doesn't exist YET. When it does, I can't wait for the IPO. It's a shame that every platform has its own issues. I think a new disruptor in the industry will emerge soon. It's too obvious now with so much demand.

I was all set to move most everything from Fidelity to Interactive Brokers last year until I discovered that their mobile app sucks and they desktop software wouldn't install on my computer after trying for days. Active Trader Pro works great and even though Fidelity's mobile app is just average, it still is way better and IBKR's.
First Page Last Page
Page 2872 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.