Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,005,381 Views | 231614 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by El_duderino
McInnis 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

McInnis 03 said:

I'm a bad influence

I took the trade. I thought it was a good idea and 9/10 times we would have been right.

My mind has not been happy with me since the result of the earnings despite me telling myself that playing 110% of the implied move will work the vast majority of the time.
D2F1D0
AG
What are yalls thoughts and ideas on REITs?
Chaos is reality, clarity is the goal, simplicity is a choice.
tsuag10
AG
Am I doing this right?

Ascending channel, and then what is looking like a descending triangle? Is this just a little tightening ahead of earnings next week?

Help please.

azul_rain
commercial real estate
Fightin_Aggie
AG
hedge said:

commercial real estate
STAG - industrial and warehouse space is the only one I am interested in
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Fightin_Aggie said:

hedge said:

commercial real estate
STAG - industrial and warehouse space is the only one I am interested in

DRE is another one of those I'm in on. I recently bought some 1/29 and Feb LADR calls. I do think commercial real estate may be tough over the next 5-10 years as more transition to work from home. I'm not sure what that means for stock prices on REITS though for 2021.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Amd with a little volume at close. This is one I'm tracking as an earnings play for later this month (1/26).
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Just throwing this out there - how do y'all make the time to keep up with this thread? I try to check throughout day but it just takes off and I always feel behind. I think I'm going to start taking daily written notes at end of day and review but wanting to hear from others
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Anytime McFly starts arguing with himself I skip ahead 5 pages. No seriously I know what you mean. On slow trading days I can keep up but on green days I'm always 100 posts behind.
I try to focus on the stocks I'm watching thanks to many folks putting $ before the stock tickets now. If I have to skip to the end I note the pages and try to go back to those over the weekend or when the wife starts complaining about her friends.
ccatag
AG
I am just getting started with this thread. Yesterday I looked in on it for the first time and spent a bit of time reading the first page and then dissecting the length of this thread and trying to locate the beginning of January 2020 which is roughly page 900.

Today I read all of today all at once at the end of the day - this evening. Excellent! Haha
I'll be back tomorrow and a little more in real time. I'm familiar with the stock market and markets and stocks but do not have a great understanding in options. It's something I want to learn and understand well.

I do have one question from what I read today about the seminar. Did that already happen or is it coming up and going to happen?
I see the link for the book and a poster posted a picture of the book. That will be helpful and I intend to read-up and educate myself. Some other good advise is to play with paper money on brokerage sites. A good way to learn and comprehend.

So I wanted to make a post as I'm stepping in and say, Howdy! Looking forward to this.

ClutchCityAg
Ctrl+F for tickers and oldarmy posts
Let it ride
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
59 South
AG
We've all been there bro.
59 South
AG
He's alive! I suspect he's learned his lesson (for now).

FJ43
Lester Freamon said:

Just throwing this out there - how do y'all make the time to keep up with this thread? I try to check throughout day but it just takes off and I always feel behind. I think I'm going to start taking daily written notes at end of day and review but wanting to hear from others
Morning! Third coast mentioned something that I think can be very helpful which is the tools discussed on this thread (terminology, phrases, strategies, etc.). Not knowing how familiar you are with those types of things, if you can first apply time to not letting one slip by without using this thread or other resources to know what they each mean it will make a big impact. As that builds for you reading through the thread just becomes faster and much more fluid. You'll be able to key on what is important to you without all the 'noise'. Like me trying to read a recruits tweet posted on Premium. Forget it I have no idea what they mean most of the time.

A good lesson I learned is slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Often I need to slow down and kick FOMO out of the room.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

FJ43
tsuag10 said:

Am I doing this right?

Ascending channel, and then what is looking like a descending triangle? Is this just a little tightening ahead of earnings next week?

Help please.

I went back further to look at the longer trend and some points that may help. Just some additional data points and some of the things I quickly look at.

The thin blue vertical line is where you started your chart in time frame.
Thin blue horizontal line is larger level of resistance (top in this case)
The parallel lines show what you are depicting but going further back.
The white arrows show more explosive moves to maintain the uptrend.
The red arrow shows that didn't happen this time.
Added a rough volume line showing a visual decrease in volume post bigger moves over the past 12 months.

IMO earnings are tough plays and can go either way. Often 2020 wasn't kind to even good reports. This may go sideways through earnings and move up or downtrend. There are other things to consider and others may want to chime in but I usually stay away from earnings lately.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Decay
AG
Also, regardless of how much time you spend, you're always going to be able to do more or spend more time or read more or leave money on the table. FOMO is real, but so is learning to overcome it. Gotta learn to be chilled out about it.
59 South
AG
FJ43 said:

Lester Freamon said:

Morning! Third coast mentioned something that I think can be very helpful which is the tools discussed on this thread (terminology, phrases, strategies, etc.). Not knowing how familiar you are with those types of things, if you can first apply time to not letting one slip by without using this thread or other resources to know what they each mean it will make a big impact. As that builds for you reading through the thread just becomes faster and much more fluid. You'll be able to key on what is important to you without all the 'noise'. Like me trying to read a recruits tweet posted on Premium. Forget it I have no idea what they mean most of the time.

A good lesson I learned is slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Often I need to slow down and kick FOMO out of the room.

Amen brother. I've been reading this thread at least daily for the most part for almost 4 years now. It was overwhelming at first to me and that was way before the post rate went parabolic. I'm still learning stuff since everyone brings such a different perspective (McFly's broken wing butterflies are a fine example). If I don't understand something, then I just Google it and file it away in the memory database.
ProgN
Good morning family!

If MARA flashes below $20, it could be a day trade opportunity.
FJ43
59 South said:

FJ43 said:

Lester Freamon said:

Amen brother. I've been reading this thread at least daily for the most part for almost 4 years now. It was overwhelming at first to me and that was way before the post rate went parabolic. I'm still learning stuff since everyone brings such a different perspective (McFly's broken wing butterflies are a fine example). If I don't understand something, then I just Google it and file it away in the memory database.
There are some guys on here way ahead of my curve deploying 'sophisticated' trade strategies every single day. 30k & the McInnis clan to name a few. Iron Condors, Broken Wing Butterflies, Straddles, Strangles Spreads (all sorts), etc. I will someday use some of those more frequently but for me I needed to 'master' blocking and tackling first before learning to run routes. I very much want to have all the tools at my disposal like they do but I learned the hard way (losing trades) I needed to prove making money consistently first with the basics then advance.to the next steps.

FJ43
If anyone knows how to add the 'Hidden Orders' function to their Order Entry window on the IBKR Pro TWS platform can you please post it on that thread?

I went through what I could find online and not seeing it depicted the same on Mosaic. Like most things probably right in front of me.

Any help greatly appreciated.

59 South
AG
Here's the best explanation I've seen on tax implications of selling covered calls:

Fidelity - tax implications of covered calls

Bottom line is if you are worried about long vs short term holding of underlying, then always sell calls out of the money and out 30 or more days. Selling in the money (ie call strikes under share price on day of sell) and/or <30 days out is where it gets complicated. So 2 scenarios:

1. You're trading and not holding anything longer than a year anyway - assume everything is short term taxed.

2. You have long term share holds >1 year - selling covered calls should always be out of the money (higher strike price) and out >30 days.

Key takeaways

Investors who use covered calls should seek professional tax advice to make sure they are in compliance with current rules.
Profits and losses from covered calls are considered capital gains.
Qualified covered calls generally have more than 30 days to expiration and are either out-of-the-money, at-the-money, or in-the-money by no more than one strike price. However, special rules apply to longer-dated options (options with more than 12 months to expiration).
In-the-money qualified covered calls suspend the holding period of the stock that has been held for less than one year while the call is open, and non-qualified covered calls terminate the holding period of such stock (the holding period starts over when the non-qualified covered call is closed).
The tax treatment of dividends may also be affected by covered calls.
59 South
AG
And while I'm at it, there are also implications of buying protective puts:

Fidelity - protective puts

"Protective puts" and "married puts" involve the same combination of long stock and long puts on a share-for-share basis, but the names imply a difference in timing of when the puts are purchased. A "married put" implies that stock and puts are purchased at the same time, and married puts do not affect the holding period of the stock. If a stock is held for more than one year before it is sold, then long-term rates apply, regardless of whether the put was sold at a profit or loss or expired worthless.

A "protective put" implies that stock was purchased previously and that puts are being purchased against an existing stock position, and protective puts can affect the holding period of the stock for tax purposes. If a stock is owned for less than one year when a protective put is purchased, then the holding period of the stock starts over for tax purposes. However, if a stock is owned for more than one year when a protective put is purchased, then the gain or loss on the stock is considered long-term regardless of whether the put is exercised, sold at a profit or loss or expires worthless.
Madmarttigan
AG
Should we care about ONTX special meeting, Webull idiots talking about reverse split.
FJ43
tv1113 said:

Should we care about ONTX special meeting, Webull idiots talking about reverse split.
They may have to if doesn't get over $1 by mid April. Although they can ask for an extension.

TxAggie-12
AG
FJ43 said:

If anyone knows how to add the 'Hidden Orders' function to their Order Entry window on the IBKR Pro TWS platform can you please post it on that thread?

I went through what I could find online and not seeing it depicted the same on Mosaic. Like most things probably right in front of me.

Try this:

File>Global Configuration>Configuration>Features>Order Mgmt>Order Attributes>Hidden
zag213004
AG
EEM calls in the money now
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
D2F1D0 said:

What are yalls thoughts and ideas on REITs?

I like ohi (nursing homes) and cci (cell/5g infrastructure)
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
tv1113 said:

Net free, don't care. If it goes back to .25 I'm loading up
FJ43
TxAggie-12 said:

FJ43 said:

Try this:

File>Global Configuration>Configuration>Features>Order Mgmt>Order Attributes>Hidden

Awesome thanks! Went right to it that way and selected it now just need to see where it shows up as an option. I don't see it on the order panel unless that makes all orders hidden.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
59 South said:

...the post rate went parabolic.

Truth.
It has gotten hard. I get up early most of the time (not as early as fj!) and catch up, then try and stay caught up if i have some time to trade in the morning, catch up again at lunch, then try and catch up again before/ while i have some time to trade before close. It still gets daunting some days lately.
TxAggie-12
AG
FJ43 said:

TxAggie-12 said:

FJ43 said:

Try this:

Awesome thanks! Went right to it that way and selected it now just need to see where it shows up as an option. I don't see it on the order panel unless that makes all orders hidden.
It shows up at the bottom of the drop down list for me.

FJ43
TxAggie-12 said:

FJ43 said:

TxAggie-12 said:

FJ43 said:

Try this:

It shows up at the bottom of the drop down list for me.

You are my hero! Thanks very much. Spent too many hours hunting this feature.

gigemJTH12
AG
$BB is something else right now
First Page Last Page
Page 2831 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.