Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,028,032 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by ProgN
Post removed:
by user
Hendrix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a hell of a year. Thankful. I think my individual stocks still have legs. Keep feeding premium into QQQ.
FJ43
third coast.. said:

Did you have to fund your account to use the app? I created an account but didn't fund and it won't let me log in to the app. Tells me to complete my application. Might just be lagging.
Not sure if this is it but make sure you are selecting paper money vs live trade when you go to log in. I think it defaults to live trading and if you don't have an account that's why you may be prompted to complete.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Post removed:
by user
FJ43
third coast.. said:

i think it was just lagging because i tried to check it a moment ago and it allowed me in.

Awesome! Glad you got it working.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43
third coast.. said:

i think it was just lagging because i tried to check it a moment ago and it allowed me in.

I was reading through the thread on the goals of a few that were centered on trying to keep up with the acronyms, abbreviations, terminology, etc and we've all been there at one time or another. It can be overwhelming especially when we get all get amped up to get rolling and want to participate in the action. I'm sure and hope everyone at any level is still learning and sharpening as they go.

For me I learned I had to step back, slow down and make sure I first had a decent understanding and recognition for the technical reading of candles, volumes and patterns. Charts if you will. Once I began to 'see' without overthinking it the rest became a little more clear. Each day and week even more clear. Then a little confidence began to build and understanding started to take root. Enter options possibilities now. Once I had a better understanding of a stocks support levels, resistance levels, volume impacts, etc it helped me to recognize how the underlying stocks movement impacted the options prices. Probably because I could now move onto step 2 to absorb new information without trying to drink through a fire hose.

I made a lot of mistakes early on getting into things I didn't fully understand. Promised myself never again. There's a lot of money to be made and protected with just the basics like position sizing, risk vs reward understanding, stops and targets, buying and selling shares and selling covered calls on stocks you own to either reduce cost basis or get a nice return. Trading options and all the spread strategies can and will come. I'm a big believer in using all the tools and strategies available to us but have learned the hard way not until I first had a handle on the basics. Patience was the hardest part for me and still is.

Post removed:
by user
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
third coast.. said:

My fidelity account won't let me sell any puts though and I wanted to give that a whirl on a stock I wouldn't mind buying, so I'll have to sort that out over the phone anyways.

How long have you had options approved in your fidelity acct? It took a couple (maybe several) days before i could sell puts in mine. Also the fidelity active trader pro guy is awesome and a level 3 certified options advisor or something like that, that sounded important. If you don't have his number let me know and I'll get it to you when i get home
FJ43
third coast.. said:

this is all great and also what i have been trying to glean from this thread. I have googled a LOT while browsing this thread. Unfortunately half my year is spent at sea and this thread is the only thing on texags that will not open so i have never been able to continuously read it and pick things up, and then when i am home the family life takes over. it has been my goal to really understand this stuff because i do not want to work until i am 70.

You'll get there! Man if any thread should load it should be this one! Keep at it and you'll really find it rewarding.

Post removed:
by user
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I did the same, wasted a bunch of money using robinhood to follow wsb, then got options approval on my td accounts and started making options plays in those but still trying to be conservative with a lotto here and there. Then i rolled over an old, sizeable for me, 401k into an ira in fidelity and got options approval. That account is all responsible plays, 95%+ running the wheel (loosely) on "good" stocks (msft, ostk, gild, crwd, amd, t). The remainder is mostly bio/pharm accumulation/net free plays. Staying strategic with this account has had shocking results. If i didn't like gambling so much I'd get disciplined with my other accounts too. But making 5x watching both legs of a spread go itm makes me feel warm and tingly so i keep doing those, but in my other accounts
Bob Knights Paper Hands
You need to have lvl 4 or 5 to sell naked puts on Fidelity. Sounds dumb if you have the cash sitting there to fill. I'd talk to an advisor about what you want to do specifically and they can help you get there. It's not like you are selling naked TSLA calls or anything.
wanderer
third coast.. said:

Yea I thought level 3 would get me there but it obviously doesn't. I'll call Monday and try and get it done. I could only activate options on 2 of our 4 accounts right now though, as I can buy and sell on the 2 accounts in my wife's name, but can't authorize options, so thats something else to talk to them about. This week selling puts and covered calls clicks and just seems like a no brainer.
Seems like a no brainer until the CCs that you sell go for 10 baggers. (I'm looking at you MGNI, and almost MARA)
Post removed:
by user
gougler08
AG
30 posts on New Year's Eve / early New Years morning...you guys know the markets aren't open today right?
Ragoo
AG
gougler08 said:

30 posts on New Year's Eve / early New Years morning...you guys know the markets aren't open today right?
so what are we supposed to do today??? Put away Christmas?
gougler08
AG
Ragoo said:

gougler08 said:

so what are we supposed to do today??? Put away Christmas?

Cleaning up the house for me right now so I can watch the football games relatively in peace this afternoon
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Dang. Still lost.

I'm with Third Coast. I've watched this thread for a while and I'd like to learn more about options for trading. I've been very comfortable with regular buying/selling, but I feel like I'm leaving opportunities at the table. Still pleased with 2020 performance though!
Post removed:
by user
ProgN
gougler08 said:

This is pretty much the only board/thread I go to on TexAgs anymore so I enjoy the sharing of stuff on here.

Happy. New Year guys
jj9000
AG
Prognightmare said:

gougler08 said:

This is pretty much the only board/thread I go to on TexAgs anymore so I enjoy the sharing of stuff on here.

Happy. New Year guys

Will be banned from site b/c Politics threads before EOD.

Book it.
gig em 02
gougler08 said:

The bitcoin market never sleeps!
irish pete ag06
AG
I echo what others have said. I've been reading this thread for a long time now. It has become slightly clearer, but I am still foggy, no question. I plan to spend this January at least getting into covered calls. Would that be a somewhat simple way to enter the game? I'm educating myself on them now.
ProgN
Actually, I haven't posted on there since my last ban in early December. It's not fun anymore. I've pretty much just stay in here and the tears thread.
ProgN
Yep, covered calls aren't risky but it'll familiarize you with options and how they move. Experience and practice is the best way to learn. The strategies will become easier the more you follow them.

That and this thread will help out in anyway we can.
FJ43
irish pete ag06 said:

I echo what others have said. I've been reading this thread for a long time now. It has become slightly clearer, but I am still foggy, no question. I plan to spend this January at least getting into covered calls. Would that be a somewhat simple way to enter the game? I'm educating myself on them now.

Yes covered calls are probably the easiest. Depending if the stock is a trade or something you want long just choose a strike price and premium to sell that meets your objectives. If you don't mind being called out at a certain price and you get a nice premium on top then that's you're route. However if you want to keep the stock sell a date or strike near term that chances are you won't get called out and get to keep the premium. You get to lower your cost per share in that case.

When I sell covered calls that's one thing I know before executing a sell. Example is WWR. I sold Feb $12.50 covered calls wanting to keep them but if I got called and had to sell the shares I would get the $12.50 + premium for something I had less than $6 in. Not a bad deal for 100+% return in 60 days.

You can also just sell covered calls on half or a portion of your shares which helps in case the stock sky rockets. You at least keep half of them.

FJ43
Prognightmare said:

Actually, I haven't posted on there since my last ban in early December. It's not fun anymore. I've pretty much just stay in here and the tears thread.

The tears thread is awesome. Provides great late night laughs.

McInnis 03
AG
A good write-up on what covered calls are, why and how to use them.

A) Use this if you own stock (in 100 share lots) and wish to monetize it.

B) use this if you wish to purchase 100 share lots at a discount by purchasing stock and selling a call at the same time to purchase stock "at a discount".(price of stock, minus the price of the call sold)

https://www.chaikinanalytics.com/covered-calls-made-easy-the-basic-concepts-and-why-to-sell-covered-calls/
oldarmy1
AG
Happy 2021 Traders

As I continue preparations for the seminar I went back and read through this thread. I couldn't help but note that some of the page 1 posters are nowhere to be seen anymore.

It still amazes me how the word "predict" was inaccurately assigned to the entire process espoused as professional trading.

To kick off 2021 let's make sure all the newer followers of this thread get it straight. What a professional trader does is use all of the tools available to make a "calculated" decision to place ones Capital at risk.

Those tools include technical analysis, sector analysis, company success on paper (quarterly reports, 10ks, etc filings), outlook, potential based on everything from early adopter new sector, not yet understood or potential considered (bitcoin anyone - I stated early on I didn't understand bitcoin but ultimately recognized the potential), knowledge from speaking to competitors and insiders of targeted stocks and government applications.

There is more but you get the idea. It's a time consuming, exhaustive approach but the result is that nearly every single stock posted as a "mass accumulation" trade became huge winners. These aren't day traders, swing trades, short term trades, etc. These were decisions to accumulate massive number of shares based on all of the hard work above.

Now, does that mean that within these selected MA stocks opportunities to swing trade, short term trade and all the other trades don't exist? Of course they do! And because you are investing significant capital into these names you learn them like your children. That gives you a high confidence to use that EARNED knowledge to swim with the biggest fish.

So let's end the ignorant takes that "no one can predict the markets". No one claimed they could. Yet one can make educated calculated trades that have extremely high percentages of success; sometimes to such a level that it might APPEAR that they are able to predict a stock or macro market.

Then we have shorter term trades and those are going to be primarily options based trades. These are based primarily on stock study, historical applications of cyclical sectors, technical analysis, VOLUME, events, etc.

Options are calculated (again not predictions) entries with calculated targets and disciplined stops. Just as markets are fluid (unpredictable - hope this makes some happy) the entries obviously have locked in capital, so the upside target and stop are more fluid (although for smaller equity building traders the stops need to be less fluid and followed more closely).

I'm not taking the time for now to mention all of the various options strategies and how they reduce risk on initiating and managing mass accumulation stocks.

Here's to an even bigger 2021!
FJ43
oldarmy1 said:

Happy 2021 Traders

As I continue preparations for the seminar I went back and read through this thread. I couldn't help but note that some of the page 1 posters are nowhere to be seen anymore.

It still amazes me how the word "predict" was inaccurately assigned to the entire process espoused as professional trading.

To kick off 2021 let's make sure all the newer followers of this thread get it straight. What a professional trader does is use all of the tools available to make a "calculated" decision to place ones Capital at risk.

Those tools include technical analysis, sector analysis, company success on paper (quarterly reports, 10ks, etc filings), outlook, potential based on everything from early adopter new sector, not yet understood or potential considered (bitcoin anyone - I stated early on I didn't understand bitcoin but ultimately recognized the potential), knowledge from speaking to competitors and insiders of targeted stocks and government applications.

There is more but you get the idea. It's a time consuming, exhaustive approach but the result is that nearly every single stock posted as a "mass accumulation" trade became huge winners. These aren't day traders, swing trades, short term trades, etc. These were decisions to accumulate massive number of shares based on all of the hard work above.

Now, does that mean that within these selected MA stocks opportunities to swing trade, short term trade and all the other trades don't exist? Of course they do! And because you are investing significant capital into these names you learn them like your children. That gives you a high confidence to use that EARNED knowledge to swim with the biggest fish.

So let's end the ignorant takes that "no one can predict the markets". No one claimed they could. Yet one can make educated calculated trades that have extremely high percentages of success; sometimes to such a level that it might APPEAR that they are able to predict a stock or macro market.

Then we have shorter term trades and those are going to be primarily options based trades. These are based primarily on stock study, historical applications of cyclical sectors, technical analysis, VOLUME, events, etc.

Options are calculated (again not predictions) entries with calculated targets and disciplined stops. Just as markets are fluid (unpredictable - hope this makes some happy) the entries obviously have locked in capital, so the upside target and stop are more fluid (although for smaller equity building traders the stops need to be less fluid and followed more closely).

I'm not taking the time for now to mention all of the various options strategies and how they reduce risk on initiating and managing mass accumulation stocks.

You got me all fired up!!! Let's go!!!

Post removed:
by user
McKinney Ag69
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Happy 2021 Traders

Love it! This made me want to run through a financial brick wall in 2021!
First Page Last Page
Page 2668 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.