Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,025,217 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ProgN
bigtoneag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/18/trump-signs-bill-that-could-kick-chinese-firms-off-us-stock-exchanges.html
Baby Billy
AG
OA, I owe you many many charity donations...
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Who just joined the "I got put WWR" club?
not I, but that's because I'm in Jan $5P
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
3% week for me, and I didn't have to try that hard. Thanks AMZN and TSLA.
topher06
I know this has been discussed before, but no idea where on the thread. If someone could help me out, it would be appreciated.

Have a couple of FUBO 12/18 covered calls sold at $40. Market closed at $39.25, but currently $40.04 AH. Are these in danger of being exercised (assuming rational decision not to exercise speculatively at $39.25), or is the market close price the dictating price?

Not the biggest deal, but will have some tax consequences of course. Thanks.

EDIT: This is an NYSE stock and it was below $40 at 5pm Eastern. I think that matters, but not certain.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
topher06 said:

I know this has been discussed before, but no idea where on the thread. If someone could help me out, it would be appreciated.

Have a couple of FUBO 12/18 covered calls sold at $40. Market closed at $39.25, but currently $40.04 AH. Are these in danger of being exercised (assuming rational decision not to exercise speculatively at $39.25), or is the market close price the dictating price?

Yes, they can be exercised.
gig em 02
McInnis 03 said:

Well, now we know why those HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sweeps came across for this coming Friday and the next weeks Friday on XLF 29's and 30's.

12/24 29C for .11 for me, hoping for a green Christmas
topher06
$30,000 Millionaire said:

topher06 said:

Thanks, so I guess the price at midnight is what matters?
Spaceship
AG
I'm sure this has been discussed on here before, so my apologies, but what is the best/most direct way to buy Bitcoin or direct exposure to Bitcoin through TDAmeritrade (as a long term hold)?
Dan Scott
AG
$PIC

This could fly next week

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/18/jim-cramer-xl-fleet-ev-stock-could-be-a-steal-after-blank-check-merger.html

backintexas2013
AG
Just to buy it you can use coinbase or bitstamp. You can buy it and sell it through both. As far as stocks I have heard RIOT discussed and MARA is one I own but lost a bunch of shares today because I am stupid.
Ted Lasso
AG
gig em 02 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Well, now we know why those HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sweeps came across for this coming Friday and the next weeks Friday on XLF 29's and 30's.

12/24 29C for .11 for me, hoping for a green Christmas
NICE! XLF now my biggest holding, and confident it will outperform S&P in 2021
aggiedaniel06
AG
topher06 said:

topher06 said:

Thanks, so I guess the price at midnight is what matters?

1. A call buyer can exercise his call at any time. It does not have to be in the money.
2. In your case, I think you're asking whether your shares will be called away. Based on the official closing price of $39.25, your shares will not be automatically called away. Only way it will be is if the call buyer intentionally exercises his call. Which I don't think they would for the small arb of 4 cents.
McInnis 03
AG
Daniel sighting
aggiedaniel06
AG

some fool assigned me on 10 $370 SPY calls. LOL.

I'm pretty sure he's not a fool.

SPY went ex-div today. And by exercising those calls, he just put you on the hook for $1.58 dividend/share which in this case is $1580.
topher06
From a legend even. Thank you.
aggiedaniel06
AG
Are you a pro trader by now? Cashing checks and breaking necks?
FishrCoAg
AG
Dan Scott said:

$PIC

This could fly next week

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/18/jim-cramer-xl-fleet-ev-stock-could-be-a-steal-after-blank-check-merger.html

It might, but I generally take a contrarian position to whatever Cramer screams about
McInnis 03
AG
No. One of my tutors ghosted the forum.
aggiedaniel06
AG
Been swamped doing the excruciating deep dive with quants and developers at the new fund.

Have seen some past staple names of this board make incredible highs and came to find the lambo posts.
McInnis 03
AG
Hope you can find some time to stick around!
Talon2DSO
AG
What put the rocket in ZOM today????
Madmarttigan
AG
Sold my last bit of mgni I'm willing to part with right under 25, holding the rest and forgetting it until 50
oldarmy1
AG
ehrmantraut said:

OA, I owe you many many charity donations...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-needed-with-brian-mcilroys-medical-bills
Fightin_Aggie
AG
tv1113 said:

Sold my last bit of mgni I'm willing to part with right under 25, holding the rest and forgetting it until 50
Net free on my mgni tempted to take a little more off but haven't committed yet
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

some fool assigned me on 10 $370 SPY calls. LOL.

I'm pretty sure he's not a fool.

SPY went ex-div today. And by exercising those calls, he just put you on the hook for $1.58 dividend/share which in this case is $1580.

For context, I was in a call diagonal and I was assigned the short call after the open. I bought to cover as soon as I noticed it happened, at around $369.30.

I had not sold covered calls on my long SPY shares in my separate long term account. Unless I'm missing something, I pocketed the short call premium ($2.50) and effectively short sold 1,000 SPY shares for $0.70/share.
Slappy007
AG
That's one sexy looking green hammer on GILD.
canagian
AG
Question to this board -- I have been playing some (many/most?) of the options mentioned on this board since late April. I've seen several people mention "I'm up XX% in my account this year..." or something similar. I can't easily do that because my option plays are in my retirement acct and are a small fraction of my total portfolio.

But what I can do, since I'm retired and have plenty of free time, is post a fairly detailed analysis of over 125 option trades (and counting) that I've made since April based on the recommendations from this thread. I've used the data from these option trades -- tracking daily changes on the option price -- to spreadsheet and compare over a dozen different strategies for "what might have been" had I followed a particular strategy. Do I wait until the option doubles and sell half to go net free? Should I take some profits off if it's up 50%? When do I bail on a loser?

I've used this data to land on a strategy that works for me and has delivered close to 6 figures in profits since late April. I use the word "strategy" fairly loosely, since I basically rely on the recommendations from this board for what to potentially invest in, then I basically follow a formula and let what happens, happen, with very few interventions. I'm happy to share my findings and promote some discussion.

I'm not a charting guru, I can't nail entry and exit points like some of you can. Quite frankly... I'm too lazy. I live on the beach in Florida, and enjoying a nice day on the beach or balcony means more to me than spending all of my time following the market. The only advantages I have are time on my hands and a healthy balance in my portfolio that enables me to be fairly active (currently have 20 option plays working) and maybe tolerate more risks than many of the contributors on this board.

If there is sufficient interest, I will pull together a rather long post toward the end of the year, laying out the results of all the data and spreadsheet analyses. I can document all the winners/losers of the 125+ plays and which of the strategies I've considered would have done best (in hindsight).

I figure that would be the best way to contribute to this thread, given what I've got out of it. Let me know if there may be an appetite for this.

Advanced warning - it would be a very long post, probably multiple entries. I'd start a new thread to avoid cluttering this one up.

Thanks
aggiedaniel06
AG
Yeah I caught what happened. When you are short a near-the-money spy call going into ex-div, you are very likely to get assigned, thereby making you be short those shares on ex-div.
And like any other time, when you're short shares on ex-div date, you pay the div (opposite of when you own shares)

Look out for your statement, you'll be seeing a -1580 dividend payment deduction soon, depending on when your broker will collect it.
cjo03
AG
canagian said:

Question to this board...

...If there is sufficient interest,

I don't want to speak for everyone but, I'll speak for everyone... sufficient interest exists.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I would have needed to be assigned yesterday, right? The shares sold after 8:30 AM.
aggiedaniel06
AG
The order to exercise the call would have gone through Pre-market.
Here is a video that does a decent job explaining it.

I know this because it is standard practice for the algos of either your broker or market maker. They'll take the free money when they see it.
Brewmaster
AG
any concern with NIO or other chinese stocks? Trump signed the bill.... though this has been rumored for a while (and doesn't necessarily mean NIO is delisted).

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I'm going to keep an eye on it. I thought I was safe based on when it executed. Even if so, I came out ahead.
Brewmaster
AG
Dan Scott said:

$PIC

This could fly next week

I'm in it! front running the funds. This sucker will double in short time. It was a MrZackMorris play (twitter), I bet Ripster is in it too.
First Page Last Page
Page 2609 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.