Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,045,383 Views | 231655 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
59 South said:

Question for you guys more familiar with the tax stuff. I think I know the answer from some quick googling, but thought I'd confirm with you smarter types.

Since I do most of my trading in Roth and 401k I usually never worry much, but this year is different due to some substantially large gains I have in taxable account. Here's what I have to sort out in the next month:

• large gains in stocks bought in the last few months July - Aug mostly. I want to sell at least some of these before holding for a year to get down to long term cap gains. 3 options: sell as short term gains in 2020, wait till 2021 to sell as short term gains or wait till >1 year hold (out 8+ months)
  • large gains in stocks that I've held >1 year. I think I need to just hold these since I don't really want or need to sell them (AMZN for example)
  • fairly large losses in stocks held >1 year that aren't as much as my 2020 short term gains if I sell them all. (some speculative plays from a few years ago that didn't work out)

My main question is to confirm that I can offset short term capital gains with long term losses. If that's true, I think my best route is to sell all of those long term losers, and then sell an equal gain amount of the short term 2020 buys.

For a quick example assuming I was exactly breakeven on all other trades this year. Let's say I have $50k gains in ROKU from an August buy. I also have $25k gains from AMZN bought in 2018, and $25k in losses from a stock bought in 2018. So I'd sell half my ROKU and all my old loser to breakeven? And just keep holding my long term AMZN? And keep the ROKU half essentially net free at least until a year since I bought it? And if I really want to keep my full ROKU position, I can just buy that half back at any time?

TIA!
Looks right to me, but I just woke up.

Sell a little more when my divorce is final and then we can celebrate at every pub in your area sometime in 2021.
59 South
AG
59 South
AG
Don't ever underestimate this crowd's toughness...

Also got me thinking, I wish that just for this thread or maybe the B&I forum, TexAgs would change the blue star option to a green dollar sign.
canagian
AG
From the google:

Losses on your investments are first used to offset capital gains of the same type. So, short-term losses are first deducted against short-term gains, and long-term losses are deducted against long-term gains. Net losses of either type can then be deducted against the other kind of gain.

You can also use losses to offset up to $1500 of income, $3k if married filing jointly

Mostly Foggy Recollection
Rice and Fries said:

Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

McInnis 03 said:

Citi AND Cathie think this...........I'm listening now.

I've been following BTC And blockchain since 2014 when I got an inside look at IBM's blockchain initiative.

As the CIO of BlackRock said, "BTC is durable"... the question is does the hedge against paper currency go to metals or crypto.... and the answer is more and more are going to crypto and the larger funds are taking notice.

I've sold little pieces when I needed more cash for a short strike, but I've sold very little, and I plan to keep adding. Currently holding around $112K USD worth of BTC and I'd love to turn that into 7 figures over the next 24 months.

I bought $10K of GBTCvtoday straight up. I wanted to go actual Bitcoin but felt like I'd rather pay the premium to have flexibility in selling in my taxable account then having to use a coin wallet. Long story short, I'm long.

Best of luck to you. I do feel there may be a 20-30% retrace (not a certainty) in the short term, but 2021 is going to be strong for BTC. I'll be adding per my rule of 10-20% profits.
ProgN
59 South said:

Don't ever underestimate this crowd's toughness...

Also got me thinking, I wish that just for this thread or maybe the B&I forum, TexAgs would change the blue star option to a green dollar sign.
I've been suggesting for years that TexAgs have a down vote feature and after something like 25 down votes the post turns burnt orange.
kyle field 94
AG
59 South said:

Question for you guys more familiar with the tax stuff. I think I know the answer from some quick googling, but thought I'd confirm with you smarter types.

Since I do most of my trading in Roth and 401k I usually never worry much, but this year is different due to some substantially large gains I have in taxable account. Here's what I have to sort out in the next month:

• large gains in stocks bought in the last few months July - Aug mostly. I want to sell at least some of these before holding for a year to get down to long term cap gains. 3 options: sell as short term gains in 2020, wait till 2021 to sell as short term gains or wait till >1 year hold (out 8+ months)
  • large gains in stocks that I've held >1 year. I think I need to just hold these since I don't really want or need to sell them (AMZN for example)
  • fairly large losses in stocks held >1 year that aren't as much as my 2020 short term gains if I sell them all. (some speculative plays from a few years ago that didn't work out)

My main question is to confirm that I can offset short term capital gains with long term losses. If that's true, I think my best route is to sell all of those long term losers, and then sell an equal gain amount of the short term 2020 buys.

For a quick example assuming I was exactly breakeven on all other trades this year. Let's say I have $50k gains in ROKU from an August buy. I also have $25k gains from AMZN bought in 2018, and $25k in losses from a stock bought in 2018. So I'd sell half my ROKU and all my old loser to breakeven? And just keep holding my long term AMZN? And keep the ROKU half essentially net free at least until a year since I bought it? And if I really want to keep my full ROKU position, I can just buy that half back at any time?

TIA!

I am not a cpa, but I have a pretty good understanding of taxes.

With regard to offsetting gain and losses, you must first match up short term gains against losses, and long term gains against losses. Then if you still have additional gains of one type and losses of a another type, you can then offset them.

If you have leftover losses, you can deduct 3k on your taxes return and carry forward any remaining losses till next year.

Depending on your tax rates, you may want to work out the various scenarios.

However if overall, you have long term losses that can offset short term gains (after the netting of like time periods), then this is a great situation at it prevents you from having to pay short term cap gains rates.
59 South
AG
That's what I saw too. Posted here for sanity check to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I absolutely loathe our tax code with the complexities. Another factor is worrying about taking too much profit in this calendar year that would make us jump a tax bracket (especially a big one). I feel like I need to make a tax simulator which I have no time to do.

On a side note, my company provides a worthless Big 4 global tax firm to "prepare" our taxes that is a complete joke. All they do is ask for every single thing about your life, financial and otherwise, have you upload it into their portal (which takes days), and then run a poor man's TurboTax software on it. And lots of harassing email reminders too!

First world probz I know
59 South
AG
Got it, thanks! Looks like it's finally time to use those old bag holding lessons learnt to my advantage. Never knew those gut punches would be worth something down the road!
canagian
AG
Taxes are a balancing act for me. Retired with only investment income. I convert conventional IRA $ to Roth's for most of my "income", but try to stay in the bracket where I pay zero in capital gains tax. Selling losers to offset winners in taxable accounts so that I can max my Roth conversion. It can get tricky...
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Aston04 said:

Aston04 said:

Fomo penny stock of the day: Alpp (Alpine 4 Technologies). They made an acquisition into the drone business. Looks intriguing. I think we will have volatility here to swing trade.
My post from 11/17 didn't receive any stars....

.0650->.21

Tough crowd...

First off, congrats on your trade! Second, I wouldn't take it personally. I posted a bunch of stocks I liked on Saturday or Sunday last week and if managed correctly, most of those were wins. I am not sure anyone noticed. I think the sheer volume of ideas on here makes it hard for anyone to take someone else's idea. All I hope to do is have someone consider it and if the setup is right, make money.

The exception to this is OA because his win rate is really high and really consistent. I would probably blindly listen to AggieDaniel as well. OA makes a huge effort in teaching to fish. I had not meaningfully traded options since 2010, maybe 10 trades a year with most covered calls until this year, and it was this community (and covid) that re-energized me. I'm thankful for this crew for that.
Aston04
AG
Haha thanks... Hope to find another nugget this week, we shall see. This board is fun to follow and get ideas from.
aggies4life
AG
Aston04 said:

Haha thanks... Hope to find another nugget this week, we shall see. This board is fun to follow and get ideas from.

Agree! Keep them coming! Thanks again for alpp. And thanks to everyone else who is always helping all of us here without reservation.
FJ43
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Aston04 said:

Aston04 said:

Fomo penny stock of the day: Alpp (Alpine 4 Technologies). They made an acquisition into the drone business. Looks intriguing. I think we will have volatility here to swing trade.
My post from 11/17 didn't receive any stars....

.0650->.21

Tough crowd...

First off, congrats on your trade! Second, I wouldn't take it personally. I posted a bunch of stocks I liked on Saturday or Sunday last week and if managed correctly, most of those were wins. I am not sure anyone noticed. I think the sheer volume of ideas on here makes it hard for anyone to take someone else's idea. All I hope to do is have someone consider it and if the setup is right, make money.

The exception to this is OA because his win rate is really high and really consistent. I would probably blindly listen to AggieDaniel as well. OA makes a huge effort in teaching to fish. I had not meaningfully traded options since 2010, maybe 10 trades a year with most covered calls until this year, and it was this community (and covid) that re-energized me. I'm thankful for this crew for that.

I second this. Great take. There are so many good things being shared it's hard to follow or take positions in all of them. I'm probably over extended in terms of what I can effectively manage and started trimming this week to regroup.

I do try and at least look at suggestions on trades but depending on where I sit on my current load vs cash sometimes determines if I can play them. One thing I do is keep some cash always available for an OA alert. It's just paid too many times not to be always prepared.

Oh and 30k I read everything you post. Appreciate your posts each time.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

oldarmy1
AG
Suggestion to those with potential trades. Add a chart when you make your initial post. It will not only catch our eyes but allow for a quick initial evaluation. Make sure the chart has volume bars included.

I'm definitely always open to make money from any source.
oldarmy1
AG
I'm glad I don't deal with all that! Ha

Here ya go CPA. My accounts are "x" bigger this year. Your job is to make sure as much of it stays in their as possible.
jwhitlock3

I wrote all of them down, I keep a journal in my top desk drawer and I jot notes and prices down all day to reference while I "work". Unfortunately with my account size I wasn't able to play as most of them were $200+ and the premiums were too high for me. I say that to hopefully encourage you guys to keep posting. I didnt have the funds to make those plays, but I charted all 7 or 8 of them and continue to learn that way. Please don't feel like they're being ignored.
jwhitlock3
I've got a note book full of stocks and chart ideas and "thesis" if you will, and scrawled next to each of them is "OA, Prog, 59 South, FJ, 30k, Mc etc etc." Plenty more of you but those are the active traders off the top of my head.

If someone tried to read my notebook it wouldn't make sense to em at all! Also I want to be able to ask questions on them and give a thanks or shout out if I end up playing the trade. In my learning stage I'm doing my best to drown myself in info, drinking from a fire hose for sure.

Edit to say there are literally too many to name. Theres a poor Ag on here who can't even read but I took CWH and OSTK on his suggestion
FJ43
ET - Energy Transfer - Taking OA's lead and posting a couple of charts. I tried to remove some of the normal studies I use so please excuse any trash or info missing you would prefer to see on posted charts. If anyone would like to suggest a standard posting chart I am all ears.

I know it was posted about here last week but didn't see many comments on it so giving it a bump. Was above $9 in June and above $13 in January.

3 Month/Daily - Possible Reverse H&S; Tried to break the $6.30 resistance level twice premarket 11/20

5 Day/Hourly - Coming off possible reverse H&S; Reclaimed 8 & 21 on Friday after dipping below during the day.

I took some of the 1/15 7cs. They are cheap at $0.21 at the close. Not a lot but enough to make it worth the ride.

My stop is set at $0.11 and have a personal PT of $0.60. Heck if it gets to $7 before mid December I will raise my PT - Net free of course.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Is it better to use a service like Imgur or should I stop being an epic cheapskate and pay for premium to post directly? When I say better, I mean whichever is most secure. I trust you guys, don't trust the masses.
FJ43

Is it better to use a service like Imgur or should I stop being an epic cheapskate and pay for premium to post directly? When I say better, I mean whichever is most secure. I trust you guys, don't trust the masses.
Are you referring to Premium on TA? I pay for Premium and just post. In terms of security nothing I do on here is linked to anything I have personal. My passwords are not even the same for this site vs. other things...especially sensitive things like banking.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
FJ43 said:

Are you referring to Premium on TA? I pay for Premium and just post. In terms of security nothing I do on here is linked to anything I have personal. My passwords are not even the same for this site vs. other things...especially sensitive things like banking.

Exactly.
cottonpicker
AG
Aston04 said:

Keep posting wins and the board will notice.
FJ43
59 South said:

TIA!
Hey 59 I am kind of in OA's boat how he handles it (Hey CPA figure it out) but I will say OA is far more well versed in tax implications that I am.

When in doubt I just ping my CPA and ask what is the best way for me to do X or Y and maximize things for this specific circumstance. I've had the same CPA for probably 15 years now so he knows our financials inside and out to guide me on what, when and how. He is able to consider the other things we have working such as real estate transactions, income streams, etc. He usually is back to me in a few hours if by email and almost always catch him for a quick 5 min call if need be.

I don't want to pay any more taxes than I have to and at the same time never run the edge.

FJ43

FJ43 said:

Exactly.
Get Premium and save yourself the extra effort.

Also if I remember you needed a chart from Cheddar Flow the other day and I think it was TMOOSE who provided it. I just subscribed to Cheddar Flow (I now have an Options addiction I have to control) as well and they have a deal at the moment that may be worth looking into since you are ramping your options trades again. If not shoot me a message and I can grab a screen shot of whatever it is you need.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I am not super familiar with Cheddar Flow and (knock on wood), I haven't needed it to do OK. I am going to research it though.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Unrelated to this uncharacteristic level of weekend activity:
When you guys are following oa's net free strategy, how do you keep track of which shares you have net free after a couple rounds? Like i sold some mbio and oncy yesterday and kept the net free shares, but when i (if i get a chance to) buy back, my platform will show the net free shares as having the same basis as subsequent purchases. Do you just keep track in a spreadsheet?
FJ43
NRD09 said:

When you guys are following oa's net free strategy, how do you keep track of which shares you have net free after a couple rounds? Like i sold some mbio and oncy yesterday and kept the net free shares, but when i (if i get a chance to) buy back, my platform will show the net free shares as having the same basis as subsequent purchases. Do you just keep track in a spreadsheet?
I keep a spreadsheet of how many shares I have Net Free. My TDA account is set to FIFO so it will always show a cost basis per share even if I got back 100% of my capital invested. Paying capital gains on what I sold but obviously not on what I still hold.

I bleed maroon
AG
NRD09 said:

"Net free" is just a manner of identifying the age-old strategy of selling enough shares to recover your initial investment. I've (along with many others) been employing it for options trading since before OA was in diapers . It is a good method to ensure you don't turn a winner into a loser - a self-imposed discipline for taking gains. As many have noted - you can't go broke by taking profits.

I think what you're referring to is tax basis strategy - you should research or consult a CPA to determine what cost basis method to use - FIFO, LIFO, average cost, etc. are really ideally driven by your tax situation, and not as an investing strategy (sold shares don't care what they originally cost).

Hope that helps.
FJ43
Confession of a bonehead move.

I brought RVP to the group back in late October. I bought the 11/20 10c when it was around $8 and ended up selling when the shares had a little spike to about $9 a few days before earnings at a medium profit. Was nervous with earnings the way 2020 has been to reacting to them.

Anyway the shares closed on 11/20 at $12. Just like JPM I sold WAAAAAY too early.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
NRD09 said:

I can track it in Fidelity, but I think a spreadsheet is just as good if not better if you're disciplined to maintain it. I personally am less of a stickler about being net free on everything, especially if it doesn't qualify as a long term capital gain. It is a really good strategy. For example, I've not gone net free on Amazon or Apple and have been accumulating for years.

I am very concerned about taxes now and I am thinking hard about taking a bunch of profits this calendar year when I know what the rate will be. I doubt the 2020 rate will be a retroactive increase, but anything is in the cards.

For me personally, I am a corporate executive and I will get hit with that additional social security tax as well as the 37% to 39.6% rate increase. If you have income over $1M, capital gains and dividends will be taxed at 39.6%. I have access to a deferred compensation plan, but I am hesitant to go big in that because I think taxes will only be higher in the future. The moment this country passes a wealth tax, I'm saying f it and moving somewhere else. I am very fortunate, and of course I can pay. I just don't want to because what a tax payer gets in return for their money diminishes every year and it will never get better with the giant welfare state we are becoming. I'm tired of being soaked.

I guess there is always Puerto Rico.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I've been on $ALPP since. 043. Can't remember how I first saw it. But its fairly predictable chart on the low end made its purchase at .043 a no brainer of sorts. That said, its also got a history of serious correction so the hard part is figuring out where to get out.

I know its a played out basic thought but if you can find those pink/otc that have really predictable bounces under .20 or so and identify their bottoms then strike you can make so much $$$. Obviously you also need to make sure they have the history, and also with those companies you do run some serious risk of bankruptcy or loss as well. So it's definitely not easy money.
Cen-Tex
AG

NRD09 said:

CUnrelated to this uncharacteristic level of weekend activity:

I can track it in Fidelity, but I think a spreadsheet is just as good if not better if you're disciplined to maintain it. I personally am less of a stickler about being net free on everything, especially if it doesn't qualify as a long term capital gain. It is a really good strategy. For example, I've not gone net free on Amazon or Apple and have been accumulating for years.

I am very concerned about taxes now and I am thinking hard about taking a bunch of profits this calendar year when I know what the rate will be. I doubt the 2020 rate will be a retroactive increase, but anything is in the cards.

For me personally, I am a corporate executive and I will get hit with that additional social security tax as well as the 37% to 39.6% rate increase. If you have income over $1M, capital gains and dividends will be taxed at 39.6%. I have access to a deferred compensation plan, but I am hesitant to go big in that because I think taxes will only be higher in the future. The moment this country passes a wealth tax, I'm saying f it and moving somewhere else. I am very fortunate, and of course I can pay. I just don't want to because what a tax payer gets in return for their money diminishes every year and it will never get better with the giant welfare state we are becoming. I'm tired of being soaked.

I guess there is always Puerto Rico.
Don't blame you...many others are thinking the same. Hope your not in living in California. They pay a penalty if you move out of the state within a year after selling your property. Have friends that keep a mailing address for that reason.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Appreciate it guys
I bleed maroon said:

"Net free" is just a manner of identifying the age-old strategy of selling enough shares to recover your initial investment. I've (along with many others) been employing it for options trading since before OA was in diapers

The oa strategy I'm referring to is the idea of buying at bottom of channel, selling enough to recover initial investment at top of channel, squirrel away remaining shares, rinse and repeat. The rinse and repeat step being the novel part and difficulty in record keeping. It's not rocket surgery but everybody I've mentioned the strategy to thinks it's brilliant so it's clearly not standard knowledge/ practice, at least for non finance folks
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I left CA a couple years back. I was traveling all the time anyway and decided I would live where I wanted to.
First Page Last Page
Page 2482 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.