Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,038,177 Views | 231641 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by ProgN
MaroonDynasty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apple carbon neutral by 2030? They still in China?
TMOOSE
Aggies1322 said:

lal4l said:

Anyone buying any apple options on this dip? Guide me

I did.. but i would be a blind guide. Just felt like a gut choice. Biggest PR event of the year, and its down. I thought "huh, I feel like it'll go up."
Same - I need to really get my FOMO under control.
Let it Ride
Aggies1322
AG
lal4l said:

Aggies1322 said:

lal4l said:

I did.. but i would be a blind guide. Just felt like a gut choice. Biggest PR event of the year, and its down. I thought "huh, I feel like it'll go up."
Same - I need to really get my FOMO under control.

Already down 25%. Ouch.
BayAg_14
Waiting to see if we can pull back to 117 before jumping in.
texagbeliever
Brewmaster
AG
below 350 could get ugly, need to pop back up over it. vix and dxy are not happy. I added some SQQQ for a hedge - nice risk reward here.
trip98
AG
okay, been following this thread for a while. Even gone back and read a bunch of the history. Picked up knowledge here and there. Never traded options and not sure I'm ready but I was wondering if it might be an avenue to help me out. I'm pretty much looking for long plays with decent dividends. Not swinging for the fences but looking for some appreciation combined with dividends for decent return overall. With that said here's what I'm looking at:
Back in 2016 after oil had tanked a bit I pulled a page from oldarmy1 looking for macro moves. It appeared oil had bottomed and would come up a bit so in April '16 I bought 40 shares of RDSB at $51.33 and another 24 shares in June '16 at $52.43. At the time the dividend was healthy 7%, didn't appear in jeopardy, and with signs pointing to oil higher would suggest added appreciation in stock price. Obviously things worked out like I hoped.
Now, maybe I should have sold in summer of '18 near $70 and locked in healthy return. But I'm not expert trader by any means and was happy with performance. Even when it dropped to around $60 I was still happy with dividend and not in a position where I needed to sell so was fine letting it go. Hindsight 20/20 and again, I'm a long investor. And then Rona hits. I've lived in Houston my whole life so when it tanked with oil I said "it's a matter of time before it comes back" and I believe in the company's management. When it dropped to $20 I said "even if they cut dividend a good bit it would be attractive long term" so I bought 20 more shares on March 23 at $24.63. Of course they cut dividend so now it's only 5%. Not great, not horrible and at that price when oil rebounds even if years from now I would expect appreciation PLUS a chance they reinstate dividend to prior levels (which would make my dividend 15%!!). Again, I'm looking long term.

Now for dilemma, I still see oil coming back when things return to "normal" especially business travel. Even if that's 2-3 years. But man I'm not sure I see back to my cost around $52 PLUS I think it would be better to take that cash and reinvest elsewhere. So I see my choices as this and wanted input:
1) just sell out the '16 shares and take my loss to help taxes this year. Keeping upside of recent share purchases
2) since I'm comfortable with $24 price and that's where it is now do I buy 16 more shares to get to 100 and then sell covered calls to get the premium to offset some of the loss?
3) or if I'm better of selling this year for help with taxes do I look for an option between now and mid December and go for higher strike price (i.e. $30) to try to get as high as I can which would help lower losses and if it doesn't hit just sell for tax purposes?

TIA!!
gougler08
AG
oldarmy1 said:

MGNI perfect cup and handle, with handle formed ABOVE the cup. Extremely bullish.

Also breaking out of the long term channel it's been in
WoMD
Aggies1322 said:

lal4l said:

First Apple release event for you, huh?
gigemJTH12
AG
went Net free on PYPL yesterday and then sold at market just now on the fall.

really nice profit.

thanks Ranger Rocket!
Hendrix
AG
how long are you holding SQQQ? Through the election?
Jet Black
What usually happens around the apple releases? Drop then a bounce?
J.P. 03
AG
TSLA gearing up for another run at $448. Got rejected yesterday afternoon and again this morning....maybe third time's the charm?
Aggies1322
AG
WoMD said:

Aggies1322 said:

lal4l said:

Was it that obvious?
WoMD
Jet Black said:

What usually happens around the apple releases? Drop then a bounce?

Almost always a run up, then a good drop the day of. I like to buy on release days if I have the money available.

This drop is actually pretty pedestrian for what I expected, so am probably going to do nothing today.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I take it people aren't liking what they're seeing with the new iPhone?
BayAg_14
Ehhh more just sell the news. They actually have some good stuff and a reasonable price point. Nothing earth shattering.
jwhitlock3
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I take it people aren't liking what they're seeing with the new iPhone?

More of a buy the rumor sell the news type of deal rather than disappointment with the products. They tend to run up to the event and then fall off.
Running with the Bulls
GOCO holding support at $12.50 and moving up. Need it to hold. The previous low was at this level about a month back in Sept.
YNWA_AG
AG
Everything about this iPhone had been leaked for awhile now
McInnis 03
AG
LLY has to pause antibody drug testing. REGN spike.
FJ43
Running with the Bulls said:

GOCO holding support at $12.50 and moving up. Need it to hold. The previous low was at this level about a month back in Sept.
Is there a short squeeze or something triggering this?
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

E
AG
WoMD said:

Aggies1322 said:

lal4l said:

I'm in same boat... never paid attention to an Apple event. Does it typically dip during it and recover (hopefully)?
McInnis 03
AG
E said:

WoMD said:

Aggies1322 said:

lal4l said:

I'm in same boat... never paid attention to an Apple event. Does it typically dip during it and recover (hopefully)?
Pretty common for buildup to occur leading into the event, and then a selloff during the event. As for the after.........not sure there's correlation.
jwhitlock3
RKT looks to be providing an entry point here at $1.50 if anyone was tracking it.
McInnis 03
AG
Haha, I keep watching RKT because I sold 23p's for this week at $2 and really want it to end the week at 22.99
KT 90
AG
I am not the person to ask for most of your post, but for the part below, OA has recently mentioned LADR as a longer term hold that pays dividends. So you may research LADR. I'll let someone else opine on your O&G thoughts.

Quote:

I'm pretty much looking for long plays with decent dividends. Not swinging for the fences but looking for some appreciation combined with dividends for decent return overall.
jwhitlock3
McInnis 03 said:

Haha, I keep watching RKT because I sold 23p's for this week at $2 and really want it to end the week at 22.99
I can wait until next week for a moon, you go ahead and take it this week, shared custody.
oldarmy1
AG
Added more RKT. That's my volume on the 5 minute charts
tlepoC
AG
...and I was .02 away from my fill
jwhitlock3
oldarmy1 said:

50k shares? New life goals!

Thanks for taking the time to teach while you're doing this, really appreciate the chance to learn from those that have been doing it well for years.
gigemJTH12
AG
oldarmy1 said:

would you add more of the same options we have? 10/30 24's?
TecRecAg
AG
ROKU just absolutely ripping.
McInnis 03
AG
Anyone still on those PYPL 210C's? Or the 200c's? I'm upset for letting my spread get stopped out yesterday.
oldarmy1
AG
My advice on MGNI. Don't look at it. Take it off your watch list. Place an alert at $11 if you want. Quit buying stocks, holding them several months only to yield scraps. That's not a winning strategy and you should just sell out and go straight options if every $0.50 moves has you selling covered calls or wondering if you should sell.
First Page Last Page
Page 2322 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.