Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,057,216 Views | 231701 Replies | Last: 43 sec ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Engine10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good read over coffee on Palantir, CEO Karp, and company history/philosophy. Long shares and will look to add more
https://qz.com/1911865/the-aftermath-of-palantirs-culture-war-ipo/amp/
Quote:

"Our society has effectively outsourced the building of software that makes our world possible to a small group of engineers in an isolated corner of the country," Karp, who recently moved Palantir's corporate headquarters from Palo Alto to Denver, Colorado, writes. "The question is whether we also want to outsource the adjudication of some of the most consequential moral and philosophical questions of our time. The engineering elite of Silicon Valley may know more than most about building software. But they do not know more about how society should be organized or what justice requires."

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Here is something I was thinking this morning:

Right now especially in red states much of life has gone back to normal. Restaurants pretty full in some places, retail popping again, etc..

The reason I point out red states not to make it political but there is a certain segment of society that has always thought this is a major overreaction. And to argue whether its an exaggeration is not the point here. But I'm wondering if lotsa people who thought this was all overhyped will start frequenting restaurants and retail just a little less now seeing that the President got sick. Plus flu season around the corner now too. Wondering how much more the economy gets hit.

Thoughts? (again not tryin to bring f16 here, I'm talking consumer/people behavior)
txaggie_08
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Right now especially in red states much of life has gone back to normal. Restaurants pretty full in some places, retail popping again, etc..

The reason I point out red states not to make it political but there is a certain segment of society that has always thought this is a major overreaction. And to argue whether its an exaggeration is not the point here. But I'm wondering if lotsa people who thought this was all overhyped will start frequenting restaurants and retail just a little less now seeing that the President got sick. Plus flu season around the corner now too. Wondering how much more the economy gets hit.

Thoughts? (again not tryin to bring f16 here, I'm talking consumer/people behavior)

Me, personally, won't change a thing. I'm still in favor of opening everything up and allowing individuals to make their own personal choices on their behavior and risks. Still against mask mandates as well. If a private business wants to enforce masks, fine, but Govt should not be.
khaos288
AG

Valid concerns. I'm in a red state, but still haven't seen restaurants pop back at all. I've just been picking food up, and they've 100% been ghost towns with just a handful of customers max. Retail seems healthy though. Anecdotally, I've seen stores running at what looks like normal capacity.

I think the people afraid of getting it will keep staying home. I think everyone else will see an overweight aged man recover. Undoubtedly, they don't have access to the same level of care, but majority of people aren't overweight and 74 years old.

As long as there are nice video updates daily, and eventual recovery that doesn't linger, I think it'll be just minor dips.

I still wouldn't put money in a REIT based on restaurants or something like that, but retail doesn't scare me.
bmks270
AG
I've been in Southern California a lot and despite being no dine in allowed, restaurants have just moved all of their tables into sidewalks and in the streets or back alley parking lots. The popular restaurants still have wait times and some are operating at 100% capacity, just outside not inside.
FJ43

IMO this is mostly along party affiliations with two sides and some in the middle as it relates to COVID. Economically it is not sustainable regardless of where someone comes out on the virus and its health impacts (or not). My prediction is this passes with the elections ( not long after) and whether or not we see the bulls, bears or sideways movement is yet to be seen based on which policies we see going forward. However, there will be profit in the markets to be made either direction.

I live in a Red state. Restaurants in my area are packed, waiting lists, etc. pretty much all the time. Retail packed other than the 'mall'.

Signed....value buyer
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Madmarttigan
AG
Trump with the eff Covid strut and waving on his way out the hospital tomorrow would be quite nice. Hope it happens
Spaceship
AG
For those of us still in ZEST, looks like their trial with Walmart has been set for 3/29/21 now. Hoping for a favorable settlement before then.
oldarmy1
AG
The Fed declaring no change in low rates through at least 2023 is the big picture news.

Buy the dips! Money remains cheap. Risk investments more attractive. Those of you in Real Estate and loan equities like COOP we sniped low just hang on.

My top retirement portfolio stock is back to LADR down here below $7.50 with that 10%+ dividend. Way undervalued as well.
Agsrback12
Agsrback12

The COVIDs may have already taken out those who would have a rough go with flu.

Also, there is more damage caused by keeping things closed. We are at the point that we did what we could and now it's time to move on. Don't go out if sick and don't go out if you don't want to mess with it.
McInnis 03
AG
tv1113 said:

Trump with the eff Covid strut and waving on his way out the hospital tomorrow would be quite nice. Hope it happens

$REGN
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
gig em 02
tv1113 said:

How about with a parade going right by the Trump supporters at WR?
texagbeliever
oldarmy1 said:

The Fed declaring no change in low rates through at least 2023 is the big picture news.

Buy the dips! Money remains cheap. Risk investments more attractive. Those of you in Real Estate and loan equities like COOP we sniped low just hang on.

My top retirement portfolio stock is back to LADR down here below $7.50 with that 10%+ dividend. Way undervalued as well.

Please let this happen. I think the technicals might have RWT on a potential squeeze too.
BrokeAssAggie
Trump has left the building!!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-thanks-supporters-gathered-outside-hospital-as-he-battles-coronavirus-they-really-love-our-country
wanderer
Thought this was worth posting.

I don't think proper sizing is talked about enough (and something I'm very guilty of struggling with)

Thoughts on sizing:
BT1395
AG
wanderer said:

I don't think proper sizing is talked about enough (and something I'm very guilty of struggling with)

Thoughts on sizing:

I'm aware that I'm an idiot at this stuff, but that chart made zero sense to me. Normally I can understand at least 1%. Help???
FJ43
BT1395 said:

wanderer said:

Thoughts on sizing:

I'm aware that I'm an idiot at this stuff, but that chart made zero sense to me. Normally I can understand at least 1%. Help???
There are some great and experienced traders on this thread that I've learned from and still do every single day. I know that they can provide a solid explanation but I'm afraid it would have to be lengthy. I too believe this is an important aspect if you are an active trader.

There are some great position size calculators out there free online that are handy tools to have at your fingertips as well as videos that do great job explaining what Ripster is getting at. This is important in your overall strategy to trading. Watch several of the videos which are all short and it will really help it click. He's reinforcing to not let how much money your "willing" to lose on a specific stock trade or emotion be your determining factors when deciding how much to buy. Or when to sell. Set specific stop losses based on technical parameters and not emotion or dollars. This is about not blowing up your account or finding yourself YOLO with the latest hot stock. Remove gambling and be consistent.

I've been bit by setting stop losses too tight because of emotion. The price of the stock hit the stop with a flash down, sold off only to go back up and close 10% higher than the previous day. Not only did I have a losing trade I left a lot on the table. The other sides is selling impatiently before maximizing because you made 7% or whatever. Using the above combined I'd still be net down. Do that over and over and well that's a pretty clear picture of what he's describing. I'm getting better at being disciplined but still have the rogue trader in me to purge.

The calculators I mentioned help quickly define how many shares of something you should buy based on your risk-reward. The videos help explain the math as to why. Just a suggestion that I've found helpful in terms of resources.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Bob Knights Paper Hands
Yes. Technical analysis not only guides you as far as which stocks to invest in and when, but also what price indicates that I was this wrong on my setup. Then you allow how much you are willing to risk (lose) on that trade along with the price percentage from you buy to your stop to guide you as to how much to invest. Doing that instead of just setting a 10% stop limit because it's a round number or something or buying however many shares or contracts and then setting stops based on how much you are okay with losing.

Not only does it keep you from stopping out early, but it keeps us less experienced guys from selling when we make 25% on a trade and watching it run 3x or something. Daniel and AO are constantly mentioning that when the first question after a price jump is when do we sell.
FJ43
Bob Knights Liver said:

Not only does it keep you from stopping out early, but it keeps us less experienced guys from selling when we make 25% on a trade and watching it run 3x or something. Daniel and AO are constantly mentioning that when the first question after a price jump is when do we sell.

This. I've got to get better on the maximizing side. I've watched more than one run after I sold for a profit. Not complaining about profit but man how nice the run would have been in some cases.

BT1395
AG
Thank you FJ AND BKL
Madmarttigan
AG
Futures seem to be loving the Trump recovery. Come onnn REGN
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
At it's most simplest, that spreadsheet is making two points: 1) your stops need to align with technical levels, not dollar risk levels to allow yourself the ability to sit through normal market fluctuations. If your stop is based on dollar levels that don't align with technical levels, you're basically just being dumb. 2) If your position size is solid, you can make more trades where you get more out of your winners and less of a draw down from your losers. Simply put, your winners that win big more than compensate for your small losers.

For a more in-depth explanation:

• on shares, if you are only willing to risk $1K, if you have a huge position size, your stop is going to be very tight. In the two examples, one is a 1% risk on $100K ($200 entry, $198 stop). The other is a 2.5% risk on a $40K entry, which gives you room to navigate normal market fluctuations. The example has the stock varying in price from $196 to $210. If your stop was $198, you were out for a loss. What this means is that if you were right 50% of the time, you will make money, IF your position size isn't too large. Meaning if in one of the two trades you get taken out at $195, and in the second trade you get $210. You would be -$5 and +$10 for a total of +$5 to make it worthwhile
  • on options, this is even more profound where the stop is -25% and -50%. A 25% draw down in options is very normal on a temporary basis and if you can't sit through that, well, you're doing it wrong. A 50% loss ideally lines up with something like a 20 EMA. In this example, if you have one too large position and your stop is 1.5 and the lowest the option got to was 1.3, you took a 25% loss on a position that may have returned 400% (up to $8) if you had been patient. If it never got above 1.3 and your position sizing was small, you lost $0.7 on one smaller trade, but you made $6 on a trade that worked out, for a total return of $3.3 on $4 risked. Following their math, you only need to be right 40% of the time to be profitable

I can tell you that for me personally, I will rarely go above 3% per trade on options. If I do, I have to really believe in the trade because I will not set a too tight stop (side bar, I believe in all of them if I enter, but these are ones I think are bullet proof). I do not give a sh_t if I lose 1%, and if my stop is 50% of that, it's really 0.5%.

If you want to play a larger position size, do it with profits from smaller trades so that your mind is right about it. A really good way to control your risk is verticals. Just saying.

One edit: I am routinely guilty for hitting a profit target and then setting a trailing stop that will hit above my target, but if I had been looser, could have paid bigger. What I am doing now is setting my revised stop at my target level, and then closing the trade when I think the move has finished or my stop is hit at my target. It works ok for me.
BT1395
AG
Many thanks for the thorough explanation and examples - very helpful to a simpleton like me!

Good luck to all this week!
BrokeAssAggie
Hendrix
AG
Give him more drugs. I like where he's going with this. If he walks out the hospital later this week will markets shoot up?
txaggie_08
AG
He's probably walking out today.
oldarmy1
AG
$46 PINS CALLS Should reach target at the open. Love double dipping on a rally stock. It could run on higher to a blow off top near $50 if markets really heat up.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
He's certainly been tweeting like he's back to full strength this morning
oldarmy1
AG
Those who followed on RUN it's up $2+
BrokeAssAggie
oldarmy1 said:

Those who followed on RUN it's up $2+

PINS, SNAP, RUN trifecta this am would be a nice way to start the week.
oldarmy1
AG
You're going to get it
ProgN
DKNG with a 32M share secondary offering.
oldarmy1
AG
DKNG
BOSTON, Oct. 05, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- DraftKings Inc. (Nasdaq: DKNG) ("DraftKings") announced today that it has commenced an underwritten public offering of 32 million shares of its Class A common stock, consisting of 16 million shares being offered by DraftKings and 16 million shares being offered by certain selling stockholders of DraftKings.
tam2002
AG
Prognightmare said:

DKNG with a 32M share secondary offering.

Glad I sold my calls last week. Still own shares but it's a long hold for me
First Page Last Page
Page 2271 of 6621

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.