Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,073,345 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by El_duderino
FJ43
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CreakinDeacon said:

Spaceship said:

VALE up 10% after hours

100% because I sold my shares today
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Cartographer
Thanks? For real though I'm also learning to hold out a little longer. Staring at the P/L daily can really mess with your head.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I think this is being done out of an abundance of caution to protect the presidency. He's a 74 year old geezer that likes McDonalds. He walked on and off the helicopter. He looked like he felt like crap, but he was moving under his own power.

He'll probably be tweeting in full force by Sunday. The odds are in his favor and it is smart to do anything to help him recover. This obviously really hurts his re-election chances, but what can you do? Nobody wants to see anyone die or become incapacitated.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
panduh bear said:

Thanks? For real though I'm also learning to hold out a little longer. Staring at the P/L daily can really mess with your head.
Stop doing that. Assume it is "L" until you sell.
khkman22
AG
Carlo4 said:

Prognightmare said:

Have a good meal, have some sex.
i recommend the chicken.... whammy
There's a post on the Outdoors Board about someone cooking beaver. You might see if that's on the menu. People say it can be hit or miss though.
BT1395
AG
CreakinDeacon said:

Spaceship said:

VALE up 10% after hours

A few minutes after my call options expired worthless. Figures.
Aggie_2463
AG
Of course I dump vale today to free up some cash for MGNI, you're welcome
thirdcoast
AG
Here is the Vale article

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mining-canada-vale-sa/miner-vale-in-talks-with-tesla-ev-sector-for-canada-nickel-executive-idUSKBN26N3HH

FJ43
Aggie_2463 said:

Of course I dump vale today to free up some cash for MGNI, you're welcome

That wasn't necessarily a bad decision.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Bob Knights Paper Hands
KT 90 said:

oldarmy1 said:

FJ43 said:

oldarmy1 said:

McInnis 03 said:

MGNI at 7.38

Making one HELL of a bullish outside day.
New trend high

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/10/02/3-top-us-stocks-to-buy-in-october/
Hope many on this thread have been in this one.
The temptation is to sell when it makes its initial breakout. My large accumulation stocks are long term patience that can go through longer periods of tight range, so don't sit there holding risk for 4,5,8 months only to receive chump change just as it is entering mainstream. You can see it coming now on MGNI.

JD was getting obliterated in the "expert" world but I had done my homework and just kept adding. NIO was pronounced dead.

At what point are you looking to start taking profits on MGNI? Around the $12 range?

I'm only in calls at this point. I will look to put stops on my 10/16 options on Monday. If we get above $9 I'll put stops on the Dec options. I will probably begin taking profits or putting stops on some of my 2021 options when we get around $12. I'll have to look at it more over the weekend.

If I still had shares I would probably have a different plan.
FJ43
Unless I'm seeing it incorrectly VALE finished the AH basically where it ended the normal session. Maybe even down .02. Maybe it goes up. Maybe not. Maybe FOMO set in. Dunno.

Esteban du Plantier
AG
I've got one VALE contract left open, just for fun.

I'm balling, eating lunch at Chick-fil-A on Monday, *****es!
Madmarttigan
AG
I randomly bought some REGN because I was curious about the chart. Had no idea it might have this news. Have to hope he is tweeting up a storm about defeating the virus on Sunday.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
We need the President home Sun night. For many reasons.
Rice and Fries
BT1395 said:

CreakinDeacon said:

Spaceship said:

VALE up 10% after hours

A few minutes after my call options expired worthless. Figures.

Irish 2.0
CreakinDeacon said:

Sure hope he took Remdesvir too just to be extra cautious

BrokeAssAggie
Are we about to see these Calls tank Monday?!?

wanderer said:

I have to write things down to remember them, so this is what I do. Here are some (probably not all) of OA's active call ideas mentioned.

OA, I'm happy to remove if you don't want this posted.

Madmarttigan
AG
Prognightmare said:

CreakinDeacon said:

Sure hope he took Remdesvir too just to be extra cautious
He didn't according to CNBC

Looks like he got remdesvir and the REGN cocktail. Hope he is tweeting up a storm about how awesome he feels Sunday.
FJ43
Birds
BBQ
BTHO Bama

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Wonder who is telling the truth about Trump's health. Doctors news seems too positive for a hospital admission.
khaos288
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Wonder who is telling the truth about Trump's health. Doctors news seems too positive for a hospital admission.

Guaranteed they're treating him as the leader of the free world should be. You get any sort of health threat with any amount of uncertainty? Better safe than sorry.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. He had symptoms somewhere probably in the middle of the scale. Treating him with everything reserved for more serious cases because it would be really really bad if he took a turn for the worst.
Carlo4
AG
oh wow... Trump had it on Wednesday and was not in good shape/needed to be hospitalized.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8801437/Trump-doing-told-Walter-Reed-doctors-walk-today.html
Whitetail
AG
Brewmaster
AG
So now Senate is out until October 19th amid covid concerns :/
So no stimulus bill for now and that may delay the Supreme court justice nominee

Btho bama, or at least play them hard would be nice
thirdcoast
AG
SDC and RKT commercials during game
FJ43
Well all I can say is I'm ready for the markets to open Monday.

ProgN
FJ43 said:

Well all I can say is I'm ready for the markets to open Monday.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brewmaster
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I did read today that the Senate can work remotely and possibly even vote remotely on this stim bill. We'll see if that's true soon enough.
Praying for POTUS, family and WH staff now
Thundergon
Would someone mind explaining the wash sale loss rules to me? I did some reading online and I spoke with my tax guy today and he confused the heck out of me. From what he said, as an example, if I buy 10 AMZN calls and lose $20k on them at the sale, and then turn around and buy 10 more AMZN calls within 30 days and make $10k, that this will be treated as a net capital gain of $10k due to the wash sale rule disallowance. Is this true? This would not be treated as a net capital loss of $10k?
FJ43
Thundergon said:

Would someone mind explaining the wash sale loss rules to me? I did some reading online and I spoke with my tax guy today and he confused the heck out of me. From what he said, as an example, if I buy 10 AMZN calls and lose $20k on them at the sale, and then turn around and buy 10 more AMZN calls within 30 days and make $10k, that this will be treated as a net capital gain of $10k due to the wash sale rule disallowance. Is this true? This would not be treated as a net capital loss of $10k?
Maybe think of it in simple terms.

If you take a loss on the sale and rebuy that security or substantially similar within 30 days, the loss will sort of carry forward into the cost of your new shares. Your new base cost in the new shares rose by the previous loss amounts. You can't claim the loss if you rebuy within 30 days.

The only way that loss is claimed is if you take a loss again.

FJ43
Thundergon said:

Here ya go.

IMO before you fall into a wash sale please be sure or confident your buy will profit enough to cover the previous loss. That being said I've fallen into them before. I made 'profit' with the 2nd trade but didn't cover the loss of the previous. Maybe net ahead but I learned from that and still a loss.

FJ43
Geez can't get the image to attach. Try again.

Thundergon
Thank you sir, that makes more sense. Just did my 2019 taxes (waited until last minute) and that came up and I nearly panicked thinking about the loss I took on some option plays early March this year that I would not get to claim the losses on. But, if the losses "carry over" to the cost of the next options I bought in the same stocks during the 30 days then that should be ok. Have to remember this going forward. Thanks again.
First Page Last Page
Page 2270 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.