Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,136,909 Views | 224621 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by oldarmy1
McInnis 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

thirdcoast said:

2630 broken.....run up to 2750 this week??
pushed down again. Feels like we'll give up some of the gains...will be watching next 90 closely.
I think we're going to see a rip into the close. Bulls have been in control today and they're trying to lure in some shorts with these slow little drop and pops
Nailed it.
Touchless
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

shiphunt said:

Anybody got any ideas for a cheap hail Mary gamble going into the weekend?
MSFT 4/9 165C have been getting hit up all morning
I went in on this little hail mary for the hell of it. I got it at $1 and it dropped to below half that on Friday. Naturally, MSFT is now at $165. Hoping it gets to $170 or just above that tomorrow but I need to drop half my options first thing tomorrow so I can go net free. Hoping it doesn't die AH.
Exsurge Domine
So I guess we see what the virus totals are this evening and go both barrels if they're optimistic?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
McInnis 03 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

thirdcoast said:

2630 broken.....run up to 2750 this week??
pushed down again. Feels like we'll give up some of the gains...will be watching next 90 closely.
I think we're going to see a rip into the close. Bulls have been in control today and they're trying to lure in some shorts with these slow little drop and pops
Nailed it.
Indeed, credit to IrishTxAggie.
ProgN
AggiePeeps06 said:

I bought puts
khaos288
AG
Prognightmare said:

AggiePeeps06 said:

I bought puts

Aggie peeps Is the new khaos!

oldarmy1
AG
Irish - great call. Longer we didn't see the bottom drop out the better the odds of a push, but that even surprised me.

One thing I do strategically on larger stocks is buy well out of the money calls when I determine I want to buy shares. I'll use DIS as example. I bought back all the DIS shares I had sold at $105 at $93 last week. At the same time I bought a April 9th $99 calls at $0.89 cents ($89 each) equaling same number of half the shares purchased.

So for every 1k shares of DIS at $93 I buy 5 Calls (which is 500 shares). When DIS flashed above $99 I sold the equivalent number of shares as I own Calls. You bank the $6+/share and eliminate your capital from exposure for a whopping $89 total exposed risk now. Those options were going nuts into the close. Over $2 down to $1.50 area because they were so close to the strike.

This is my #1 favorite strategy because if DIS catapults to $110, $115, $120 your mindset is completely different with $89/option $441/5 options than if you were watching $55k at $110, or $60k at $120, etc.
azul_rain
i dont mean to be a pain in the ass, but have we leveled off for now ?
ProgN
I don't know about you but my charts have buy flashes across the board on that close today. We need confirmation but technically, positive crossovers all over the place.
oldarmy1
AG
It was nuts. I was selling everything that had jumped above the calls I had in place, DIS, JPM, MSFT, MCHP. All of them.
BB675
AG
I am a newbie here as well and have enjoyed following the advice on this board. I still don't understand the different calls and puts at this moment but hope to get there over time. With that being said, I currently have shares in the stocks listed below. I understand most stocks are good value now given the market has been down the last 6-8 weeks but are there any stocks left that you guys feel especially good about? I have stuck with blue bloods for the most part because I feel they are safe plays.

CVX
DIS
ERI
JPM
MOMO (Just bought today, following OA1)
XOM
ProgN
BB675 said:

I am a newbie here as well and have enjoyed following the advice on this board. I still don't understand the different calls and puts at this moment but hope to get there over time. With that being said, I currently have shares in the stocks listed below. I understand most stocks are good value now given the market has been down the last 6-8 weeks but are there any stocks left that you guys feel especially good about? I have stuck with blue bloods for the most part because I feel they are safe plays.

CVX
DIS
ERI
JPM
XOM
BBY
RH
AMD
TTD
ROKU
Grown Pear
AG
Prognightmare said:

BB675 said:

CVX
DIS
ERI
JPM
XOM
BBY
RH
AMD
TTD
ROKU
Good choices all above!

I just can't let go of:

AAPL
AMZN
MSFT
GOOG
ProgN
I consider the 4 you listed as a given so I added one's he may not be following. He's probably following your's already.
WoMD
Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but I'm having trouble understanding this run up and the optimism on this board regarding gains going forward from where we are currently. With no end in sight to this shutdown and the ongoing progression of the covid situation, what is making everyone behave like we're on our way back already? Even if we control the disease outbreak within the next month or two, the economy still won't be back up and running. So what's driving this optimism? It seems premature to me...
deadbq03
AG
WoMD said:

Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but I'm having trouble understanding this run up and the optimism on this board regarding gains going forward from where we are currently. With no end in sight to this shutdown and the ongoing progression of the covid situation, what is making everyone behave like we're on our way back already? Even if we control the disease outbreak within the next month or two, the economy still won't be back up and running. So what's driving this optimism? It seems premature to me...
The V bottom in Dec 2018 is causing a huge case of FOMO.

(Only half kidding)
AggieKeith15
AG
Projections in the US appear ato be overstated, Europe cases are going down each day, and Trump has talked about having a new task force for going back to work. Things are trending up, and this outbreak wont last forever.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Proposition Joe
WoMD said:

I'm certainly far from an expert and the others on this forum know much more than I do - but I think much of it has to do with understanding that the big drop we had two weeks back very much took into account the economy decimation, so every day that it doesn't look as bad as it looked back then is likely to be positive (or flat) all other things being equal.

It's like a quarterback being questionable for a game and then it's announced an hour before the game he will not play but the betting spread doesn't move. It's not because the odds deemed the quarterback not important or his absence not a big deal -- it's just because his absence was likely already baked into the spread.

That doesn't mean the team won't still get blown out (market tanks) or that the team won't cover the spread or even win (market goes up) -- it just means that it was already factored in.
AnyOtherName
AG
So what about the CARES Act mortgage forbearance impacting mortgage companies? If millions put their mortgages into forbearance how does this impact the industry?

If there is no bailout in place for the lenders who have to continue to pay their bonds, was this "already baked" into the drop?
claym711
AG
WoMD said:

Most of it is typical retail trader fodder and cheering on day or trend trade. The most sophisticated guys here are in and out within 1-3 days, while hoping a bottom is in.

Ask people what they will do if we hit 2830-2850. Thats how you know this is a bear market bounce.
Ranger222
AG
WoMD said:

This is certainly relief bounce as everyone got too short. A good number of people still playing short. An island reversal from Friday get the mojo moving in a positive direction.

However, soon the optimism will get overblown when everyone goes long again thinking they missed the bottom and need to pile in. I can see another week of strong FOMO followed by a good rug pull to set everyone straight.
12thMan86
AG
Ranger222 said:

WoMD said:

This is certainly relief bounce as everyone got too short. A good number of people still playing short. An island reversal from Friday get the mojo moving in a positive direction.

However, soon the optimism will get overblown when everyone goes long again thinking they missed the bottom and need to pile in. I can see another week of strong FOMO followed by a good rug pull to set everyone straight.
THIS!
Carlo4
AG
WoMD said:

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express a month ago, so here are my .02...

This is a V recovery or we are in the second wave of a prolonged decline in the market that could have a 50% retracement from the high before the "crash". For now, let's ride the recovery and wait for the key numbers for the next levels.

I'm more of the "bearish" side that this will go on for months and head down, but I want a V recovery for everyone involved.
FrontPorchAg
AnyOtherName said:

So what about the CARES Act mortgage forbearance impacting mortgage companies? If millions put their mortgages into forbearance how does this impact the industry?

If there is no bailout in place for the lenders who have to continue to pay their bonds, was this "already baked" into the drop?
Do you think that the Fed/Tresuary are going to let the banks fail in the middle of all of this?

That's your answer.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
FrontPorchAg
We have two problems. One is COVID and one is the economy. I think a V is hopeful at this point, seeing as there is actually a lot of uncertainty. I think this ends up looking like a W before it's all said and done.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
oldarmy1
AG
WoMD said:

This is a trading thread. Most of us aren't married to any stock entered. That's the first, and main point. The next is the economy is secondary to the golden goose, until the golden goose dies or can't print money. TWO TRILLION DOLLARS in stimulus has a tendency to move markets. That has given the markets the energy seen to move off lows.

That leaves your point about the eventual requirement to see the economy growing again, once the stimulus effects are gone. I don't know the answer to that so taking profits, into today's move is the prudent thing to do. Doesn't mean it was a one day rally, just that using options for remaining potential move upward becomes the smart way to extend a successful trade. And if you had a $14 gain on a stock go ahead and buy a Put for $2 of those gains; especially if you only sold a portion of held trades.

And we still bought the SPY straddle off the close because one thing is for certain - the markets aren't capable of holding serve at key inflection points. It's going to move well enough up or down by Wednesday for the option trade to work.

Now imagine if you had posted your thoughts last week. I would wager most would have agreed with you and not been buying shares of stocks 10%+ lower than today. They would have sat on their hands and I can guarantee you most did just that. Therefore, while you are making logical statements the markets will do what they will do.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
NRD09 said:

anybody who knows bio tell me what's fundamentally different between codx and lmnx, and the emergency authorizations they both got friday? could lmnx be a sleeper?
somehow I didn't notice that lmnx had earnings after today's close. up 7% AH!
gougler08
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

We have two problems. One is COVID and one is the economy. I think a V is hopeful at this point, seeing as there is actually a lot of uncertainty. I think this ends up looking like a W before it's all said and done.

I wouldn't mind a W to get some entry points down low again. I'll be selling a chunk of my SPY and other positions if/when we get above 275 and then look for re entry near the gap down at 238 (or lower)
Exsurge Domine
gougler08 said:

Mtn_Guide said:

I wouldn't mind a W to get some entry points down low again. I'll be selling a chunk of my SPY and other positions if/when we get above 275 and then look for re entry near the gap down at 238 (or lower)

I would...as like a citizen
Carlo4
AG
so my dad is happily invested in RH, AMD, TTD, and ROKU right now. Also has ULTA and LULU.

ProgN
hedge said:

are there certain indicators that we have or haven't hit bottom?
This is currently a news driven market. The positive Covid news out of NY and Europe was the catalyst.

IMO, the low of this correction has been established. I see it range bound and with each passing day, I'm not sure we revisit. There will be up days and selloffs. I'm in the "W" camp type recovery but I don't think the second leg of the W will be as deep as the first.

This is just my opinion based on what I'm seeing from the market.
azul_rain
tired of sitting on the sidelines, just gonna throw a few thousand in and hope for the best
ClutchCityAg
Anyone have any good penny stocks they are speculating on right now?
cisgenderedAggie
Apache
First Page Last Page
Page 1255 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.