Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,168,541 Views | 224729 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by ProgN
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McInnis 03
AG
Irish beat me.
McInnis 03
AG
Futures not blinking.
IrishTxAggie
AG

ProgN
Numbers weren't that bad. Market was expecting this, we'll see what happens.
Carlo4
AG
they ESTIMATED 1 million and got 3.28?

IrishTxAggie
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Futures not blinking.
Because it is in line with the estimates pretty much
McInnis 03
AG
Carlo4 said:

Yeah, but the private sector was in the 3MM-4MM estimate range.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Carlo4 said:

This is why you don't leave the government in charge of projections and numbers
BT1395
AG
Prognightmare said:

Estimates I saw from the big banks weren't this high. I don't think anyone will be stunned beyond belief, but this is definitely higher than what some were thinking. Whether or not the market overreacts is the question...
McInnis 03
AG
Little dip coming in now, but nothing monumental. Both Dow and S&P down .5% a few min later.
gougler08
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Little dip coming in now, but nothing monumental. Both Dow and S&P down .5% a few min later.
I love how we've been beaten in to submission and a 0.5% drop is just a little dip now
Rice and Fries
McInnis 03 said:

You mean -2.35% for SP and -2% for dow
gougler08
AG
I think he meant change from where they were
ProgN
BT1395 said:

Prognightmare said:

Estimates I saw from the big banks weren't this high. I don't think anyone will be stunned beyond belief, but this is definitely higher than what some were thinking. Whether or not the market overreacts is the question...
It was in line or lower than some whisper numbers. I'm closing out my SPY puts at the open. I have sneaky suspicion we go green today.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Stimulus check calculator
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Gigemags382
AG
My interpretation is that even though this number is higher than the average consensus estimates out there, there was a lot of fear priced into the market that the numbers could be absolutely catastrophic. The numbers came in at the high end of "published" expectations, but it wasn't outside of the range of expectations. So the market may actually see this as a bit of positive news. "We can recover from this, it's not catastrophic" type of thing.

One of those situations where numbers come in worse than published expectations, but overall it's neutral or positive news relative to the fear baked into the market.

Just my 2 cents.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
McInnis 03
AG
And they're about to go green.
TXAG14
That is an insane number.
jj9000
AG
Market gonna lure people back in, just to crush them later.
ProgN
Taking profits to cash and waiting for your re-entry points for another short gain is a prudent move in corrections.
azul_rain
Wow
claym711
AG
The higher the unemployment, the better (to an extent). Most of those people will be making more for the next 39 weeks from unemployment than they were when they were employed.

We are going to see some real inflation in the coming months. Artificially inflated demand with less supply.
Ragoo
AG
I think we see a rally today.
ProgN
Looking like it
Gigemags382
AG
claym711 said:

The higher the unemployment, the better (to an extent). Most of those people will be making more for the next 39 weeks from unemployment than they were when they were employed.

We are going to see some real inflation in the coming months. Artificially inflated demand with less supply.

The TIPS/nominal treasuries breakeven rate sure doesn't indicate inflation. Doesn't mean it can't happen though.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/5_year_tipstreasury_breakeven_rate
Ragoo
AG
Prognightmare said:

Looking like it
seems like algos just wanted information. What was previously unknown is now known. No determination of positive or negative just an input at this point.
ProgN
I think they were expecting close to 5M. 3.2 M was an pleasant number by the street.
Colt98
AG
So we getting out of the iwm puts.
CuriousAg
I can't figure this thing out. Guys say "oh it is going to be a massive sell off onThursday with historic unemployment" and then the market goes green after historic numbers are released?! Even after 2 back to back green days that went against historic data. So much for shorting at close.

I can't win at this thing.
Gigemags382
AG
CuriousAg said:

I can't figure this thing out. Guys say "oh it is going to be a massive sell off onThursday with historic unemployment" and then the market goes green after historic numbers are released?! Even after 2 back to back green days that went against historic data. So much for shorting at close.

I can't win at this thing.

The market already knew all of that.
claym711
AG
Everyone laid off just got the equivalent of a 90k salary job, at least for the next few months.

The more people laid off, the better for consumer spending in the near term! How many people are taking a pay cut by being employed? Haha

And small businesses just got at least 100k of free overhead.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Don't fight the government. Historical data is worthless when you're going up against the people with the bazooka and you're yielding a toothpick
First Page Last Page
Page 1198 of 6421

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.