Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,268,574 Views | 225230 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by agdaddy04
Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jmcfar_98
AG
Trading View is pretty good.
dlp3719
AG
oldarmy1 said:

I'll agree to a 30 minute conference call if the Palk's GoFundMe hits over $20k this weekend.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/bq485-let039s-support-the-palk-family

Donated. It is over $20k now.
tailgatetimer10
AG
As someone who's very suspect of Tesla's financials, this article is interesting
Dobre casy
AG
jmcfar_98 said:

Trading View is pretty good.
They look like they have what I need...thank you sir!
ProgN
Per CNBC.com, Trump jacking up tariffs on China on Friday. Let's see how markets react.
SlackerAg
AG
China will cave on the talks (they have more to lose), I expect a deal will be made.
leoj
AG
Well, that figures...
oldarmy1
AG
Excellent stuff Ags! Stan was moved by your generosity.

Let's talk about a call time. I have Tuesday anytime after 3pm. Wednesday 1-2:30pm. Maybe Thursday late afternoon.

See what consensus is by end of day Monday and we'll get a bridge # posted.

ProgN
oldarmy1 said:

Excellent stuff Ags! Stan was moved by your generosity.

Let's talk about a call time. I have Tuesday anytime after 3pm. Wednesday 1-2:30pm. Maybe Thursday late afternoon.

See what consensus is by end of day Monday and we'll get a bridge # posted.

cgh1999
AG
Yikes. Dow futures drop 450 points after Trump's tariff threat catches traders expecting a deal off guard. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/05/traders-brace-for-sharp-sell-off-on-trumps-tariff-threat.html?
pacecar02
I guess ill close out all long positions in the morning ...this crap is annoying
jmcfar_98
AG
Well my QCOM puts may come in the money now. But it won't make up for the rest of my stuff.
Aston04
AG
Sold off my "fun money" position in Five Below during the afternoon rally Friday. Just feels like we are due for a bit of a sell off/pull back...
claym711
AG
There was never going to be a meaningful deal. China can just wait for the next guy and Trump won't risk reelection.
ProgN
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/05/traders-brace-for-sharp-sell-off-on-trumps-tariff-threat.html
Quote:

The Wall Street Journal reported that China is considering cancelling its trade talks with the U.S. this week in light of Trump's latest threats. Citing a source, the Journal said Beijing had been surprised by the new threats.

The apparent about-face in trade sentiment left some Wall Street insiders worried about the effect on the U.S. equity market, fresh off record highs.

"Another turn of the screw tighter Sunday from the President's hard-ball tactics with the China trade talks, and his pair of tweets look like they could unleash a sharp stock market correction," said Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist at MUFG Union Bank, in a note. "For weeks now markets have been lulled to sleep on the US trade war with China thinking an agreement was imminent. No more."

"This has all the makings of a complete disaster that could lead the stock market to crater this week and send those external risks to the US economic outlook soaring," he added.

Shares of U.S. companies with big sales in China may lead the market's losses on Monday including Apple, Wynn Resorts and various chipmakers on fears China may retaliate.
docaggie
AG
*buckles seatbelt*

Guess it'll be an interesting week.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oldarmy1
AG
S&P down 55
PeekingDuck
AG
Doesn't seem like China can really afford a trade war.
Pignorant
AG
Wowza
pacecar02
PeekingDuck said:

Doesn't seem like China can really afford a trade war.

I think they could stomach a trade war going into the 2020 election more so than Trump, i hope im wrong
oldarmy1
AG
Impossible to know how personalities play this out. Trump could clarify his statement before markets open and the script flips.

We could really heat up the selling and go an additional 50+ down which would close the 2835 gap.

China could blink.

All a big show impacting billions of dollars.
diablo loco
my guess is trump blinks and does a half assed deal. north korea rattling, israel/iran, etc. could be a tough stretch coming.
EngrAg14
AG
I really hope the deal happens quick, bought a ton of spy 298-305 calls for end of may/June.

Hoping the good earnings and China deal would spark a shoot up
Aggie1205
AG
It's still concerning that Trump keeps tweeting that it's the Chinese who pay for the tariffs. Does he really believe that or does he think his target constituents are dumb?
Rice and Fries
China has canceled their delegation to DC this week for the trade talks.
ProgN
If NVDA flashes down to 165, would that be a good spot to go long calls again?
ProgN

This won't help the futures either.
rgag12
AG
I feel bad for the BMA who bought 11k worth of those CSCO 55.5 calls last Friday. Snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory
IrishTxAggie
AG
I hate that Trump dropped that tweet, but as someone that has been through a lot of negotiations with Chinese, this could very well have needed to be said. They love stalling and/or changing the agreement right before everyone is ready to sign. If you don't get up and walk away sometimes, they'll never stop pulling *****
Gigemags382
AG
Shanghai exchange down over 5% and Shenzhen exchange down over 7%. Yet to be seen about US markets, but S&P futures currently down "only" about 1.5%. Anything to read into this? Is the market sentiment that this does in fact hit China harder - and they may blink?

Or nothing can be read into it at all?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Gigemags382 said:

Shanghai exchange down over 5% and Shenzhen exchange down over 7%. Yet to be seen about US markets, but S&P futures currently down "only" about 1.5%. Anything to read into this? Is the market sentiment that this does in fact hit China harder - and they may blink?

Trump's tax breaks gave him the opportunity to wage this war. The Chinese don't have the same luxury. It is hitting them much harder than it is hitting us. At the beginning of April, they dropped their VAT from 16% to 13%. It didn't even move their needle. I'll give you a quick example of how the Chinese operate and why exports and foreign markets are so vital to them.

I have manufacturing in China. I sell Product A to a company in the Philippines for $2.50USD/kg. The Chinese gov't gives us a rebates for selling the product outside of the country. Now, that same Product A if I were to sell it to a Chinese company costs ~$3.25USD/kg (All Chinese sales have to be done in Yuan, so that is approximate)!! It literally costs more money to sell the product into their own country because we have to pay the VAT and we lose export rebates that we bake into our export pricing. So, the US tacking on the tariffs is hurting them far more than it hurts us right now. Xi has a lot of power, but the villagers are starting to yell a little louder.
rgag12
AG
My WAG on the Chinese issue is that it's not going to be resolved for quite a while. Both countries view themselves as alpha dogs and will not accept the perception they got the short end of any deal. We will only get a deal once each country realizes that they will have to lose in areas they previously felt were non-negotiable. The Chinese may just wait until a dem president takes over and gives them everything they want.

As far as the markets go, I bet any Chinese fears are quickly tossed aside as soon as a bigger story comes out.
Gigemags382
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Gigemags382 said:

Trump's tax breaks gave him the opportunity to wage this war. The Chinese don't have the same luxury. It is hitting them much harder than it is hitting us. At the beginning of April, they dropped their VAT from 16% to 13%. It didn't even move their needle. I'll give you a quick example of how the Chinese operate and why exports and foreign markets are so vital to them.

I have manufacturing in China. I sell Product A to a company in the Philippines for $2.50USD/kg. The Chinese gov't gives us a rebates for selling the product outside of the country. Now, that same Product A if I were to sell it to a Chinese company costs ~$3.25USD/kg (All Chinese sales have to be done in Yuan, so that is approximate)!! It literally costs more money to sell the product into their own country because we have to pay the VAT and we lose export rebates that we bake into our export pricing. So, the US tacking on the tariffs is hurting them far more than it hurts us right now. Xi has a lot of power, but the villagers are starting to yell a little louder.

Thanks for the detailed post. That makes sense.

What about everyone basically saying that Trump is an idiot for not realizing that the tariffs are ultimately paid by Americans? From my recollection, that is how tariffs end up working.
Aggie_2463
AG
Well, what goes up must come down.... now the question is what stocks do we gobble up at a discount
First Page Last Page
Page 520 of 6436

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.