Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,166,666 Views | 224712 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by HoustonAg2014
El Chupacabra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Think Twitter is worth taking a stab at here below 16?
dreyOO
quote:
Think Twitter is worth taking a stab at here below 16?
I sold monday out of pure luck. Curious if it's worth jumping back in.
claym711
AG
Put GS on your watchlist. Past 6 days it has been in a very tight consolidation range. Over 168 there is a lot of upside. If market continues into bull leg, GS has a lot of upside.
oldarmy1
AG
On TWTR I see $15.25-$15.50 being where it finds the next major support level. Higher major support each time. Note that the huge volume spike stopped the free fall but the stock slid another $.80 cents from that last 80M day in April. Notice also that slide found its floor on the 40M+ share traded day. Also, the beginning of the move upward started with a 40M+ share traded day. VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME. Once you are honed in on a stock it becomes easy.

If I were looking at TWTR for a 1st time entry I'd look for a down DOW day that sends TWTR flashing below $15 for entry and then closes back above $15

SnowboardAg
AG
Oldarmy, curious your thoughts on macro market right after earnings season?
SnowboardAg
AG
Posting one that I think has a lot of potential. SRC hit what is called a double bar low higher close (DBLHC). This is a bullish signal where the previous 2 days had the same low price (13.12), but today had a higher close than yesterday (13.39).

It also showed volume confirmation and looks promising. I will look to buy at a break of 13.39 tomorrow, with a stop of around 12.80.

I will not enter unless it breaks the high of yesterday (13.39).

Just putting it out there as an opportunity for those looking to add Real Estate to their portfolio.

NOTE: Earnings on 8/3; and they haven't done great; however, public response has not caused it to break below the 21 day moving average (red line) in previous results. Therefore, I may risk that for the possibility of return.

Happy for feedback!

Joseph Parrish
AG
Anybody buying oil stocks right now? I bought a lot today, may buy even more if things continue to drop. We may get lower prices with inventories being high, but that won't last forever. Anybody else doing this? Thoughts?
SnowboardAg
AG
If I was looking to invest in more oil (I'm already heavy), I would be looking at XOM. Mainly because of their significant cash position and less volatility.
Spaceship
AG
I actually bought XOM this morning when I saw WTI at $42.
Dan Scott
AG
XOM has earnings Friday. The way the stock has run up, I think at best it's flat. 2nd Q crude and nat gas prices up and refining margins better than Q1. 3rd Q starting ugky again and RINs are getting out of control again. Valero is going to spend $800M on RINs this year. crazy
claym711
AG
I was very bearish on Oil once it lost 45.80. It has now exhibited the inability to hold that level on a retest and has fallen though most of the heavy value concentration levels. I would be looking at $35-$38 and want to see consolidation before I got in.
oldarmy1
AG
SnowboardAg, day traders will watch to see if it gaps up on the open and jump all over that as a gap and run trade.

Aggiemetal, if you see this then add to your daytrade watchlist.

As far as macro market once earnings is over I am not seeing anything that changes the current trend. We talked buying the dips and that 100 point down day was just that.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Is today a good opportunity to buy TWTR puts one week out on the cheap then? Looks like we're butting right up on the 50SMA and have broken the uptrend from mid June and are entering a new range with major support in the 15's.
Dr. Faustus
claym711
AG
Markets have now been in the same tight range for 11 days, with price overlap each day. That is a rare consecutive day overlap consolidation pattern from what I have observed. Getting more interested each day on how it will break from this range. All highs are now coming AH and getting sold aggressively, and lows are coming in session and getting bought. The break from this range should see some very large volume.
Wehner High
AG
quote:
Anyone like the GPRO play on earnings tomorrow?

Yes
GigemCO2008
AG
So last year during this time, XOM and CVX both seemed to have major swings that would have been great to play with?
Any advice as XOM missed by .23 EPS as compared to expected?
Post removed:
by user
claym711
AG
Today was a strong bottom confirmation on I.
oldarmy1
AG
Sorry everyone....I am on a quick vacation and will be very limited on market talk. Back August 4th.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
In
TKEAg04
redsox34
AG
Can someone help me understand limit vs stop orders and how each are used in both buying and selling situations?
Gator2_01
AG
quote:
Can someone help me understand limit vs stop orders and how each are used in both buying and selling situations?
First the Market vs Limit order.

Market orders for buying or selling are executed at whatever the best Ask (if you're buying) or Bid (if you're selling) price is currently offered by the market makers. During normal market movement for a liquid stock your Market orders should be executed at essentially whatever the real time quote states.

For a Limit order you are stating your "limit" price where you are willing to buy or sell the stock. When you're buying with a limit order you are stating the highest price you are willing to pay. If you are buying in a volatile market or you are purchasing an illiquid asset with a large bid-ask spread then limit orders will ensure you aren't overpaying for the stock. However if you are trying to purchase in a fast moving bull market, there is a chance your stock will not be purchased as the price will climb past and stay higher than your limit price.

For a limit sell order, it is opposite of the buy order. You are stating the lowest price you are willing to sell your stock at. Again this works well when dealing with high bid-ask spreads or in a volatile or illiquid market. The bad part of limit sell orders is in a quickly falling market your limit order will not be filled if the price falls and stays below your limit.
Gator2_01
AG
quote:
Here we'll cover Stop orders and Trailing Stop orders. I will cover each based on you owning a stock and using the stop to sell the stock, but it also applies in opposite if you have shorted a stock and are looking to buy the stock to cover your short.

Stop orders are used to limit your losses when you purchase a stock. If you buy XYZ at $20 per share you can set your stop at $19 and your shares will automatically enter a market order to sell if the price drops to $19.

Trailing Stop orders are more efficient. You set a defined percentage or dollar amount that you are willing to let the stock fall from the day's high. If you set a trailing stop order of the previous purchase of XYZ at $1 then it will still trigger a market sell order if it immediately drops to $19. However, if XYZ climbs to $25 than the trailing stop follows the price action up and will trigger a market sell order if the stock price drops from $25 to $24.

You can also enter Stop Limit/Trailing Stop Limit orders where you enter a limit price that you want your stock to sell when the stock is hit. The downside to using Stop Limit orders is if your stock price is dropping too fast then you can trigger the stop, but the price may stay below your limit and never be filled as your stock price drops.

There are also other Stop Order combinations like Brackets that I'm not touching on right now.
redsox34
AG
Thanks Gator!
claym711
AG
13 days now in this ranging pattern. After hours tops are inching higher while volume continues to shrink. Pull up a YTD chart and check the volume.
Comeby!
AG

Quick question here. It's been awhile so my memory is blurry.

What happens to your trailing stop in this scenario?

You buy in at $10, set a -$3 trailing stop. Stock jumps up to $30 (stop now at $27). The next morning, the stock opens at $25...then quickly ramps up to $35.

This exact thing happened to me and I believe the open triggered my stop. I don't know if someone put in a low bid premarket and I filled it at $25 or what.
Gator2_01
AG
quote:

Quick question here. It's been awhile so my memory is blurry.

What happens to your trailing stop in this scenario?

You buy in at $10, set a -$3 trailing stop. Stock jumps up to $30 (stop now at $27). The next morning, the stock opens at $25...then quickly ramps up to $35.

This exact thing happened to me and I believe the open triggered my stop. I don't know if someone put in a low bid premarket and I filled it at $25 or what.
If the stock gaps down the next day to open then your trailing stop will trigger. This is why you should update your trailing stop as the stock climbs.

Another option is to set your trailing stop as a percentage vs a dollar amount. Had you set your initial trailing stop to 30% vs $3 your original stop is still set at a $7 trigger, then once it climbed to $30 your trailing stop wouldn't trigger unless it drops to $21 from $30.
Comeby!
AG
I was just using those numbers as an example. I don't remember if it was a % or $ but I know I was updating. Something happened with a bid number on open, maybe two numbers and I got pulled in, triggering the stop.

The moral here is, trailing stops aren't fail safe.
Gator2_01
AG
Alright, I'd like to throw a recent trade out for discussion.

Based on the overwhelming long-term love for KMI here I looked into the company more and am happy with it's future direction. After the breakout that OA highlighted it settled back down and so I was looking for a way to safely leverage into a long position.

This will be a fairly complicated long-term options trade that I'll do my best to explain.

First, I bought long term KMI calls. Specifically, on 7/28, I purchased 5 KMI calls Jan18 at a 22.5 strike price. This purchase cost me $2.17 per contract, or $1087.70 total. If you look at just these long-term calls, my break even price in January 2018 will be $24.67 ($22.50 strike plus $2.17 contract premium).

My plan is to treat this as a Calendar Spread where I'll sell short term calls against the long term call I own. I started by selling 5 KMI Aug16 Calls for $0.21. After commission I collected $97.33. On 8/1 after KMI dropped a bit, these contracts were valued at $0.09. OptionsHouse lets me close positions under $0.10 with no commission so I closed them for a cost of $45.20. Overall, I collected $52.13 towards my original long term call costs in a matter of days.

I've rolled the short term calls out to Sept16. For this trade I increased my sales to 10 Sept16 21 calls for $0.28 while purchasing 5 Sept16 23 calls for $0.05. Total credit for this trade after commissions is $241.91.

As long as KMI stays below 21 by the third week of September, I keep the full premium. If it moves down further, I'll close out my current short term position and roll that leg down.

If KMI continues trading sideways, I will have already collected $294.04 in premiums towards my original purchase price of long term calls. My plan is to sell these short term contracts every month rolling them up higher as KMI increases in price.

In case of a large move upwards, I'll close whatever my current short term position is (possibly for a loss) and resell short term calls once the price movement has settled down.
Bonfire1996
AG
Thoughts on the construction reports? After a three year bullish recovery, it has contracted for three straight months. June was a surprise contraction where growth was forecast.

I think GDP has been bolstered by construction spending, and that has stalled, even dropped. I think it could forecast an actual revision to 2nd quarter GDP into less than 0.5% growth.

Trigger moment old army?
aggie_fan13
AG
Apple keeps climbing but I think it will level off if not fall, good time to sell ?
pfo
AG
quote:
Apple keeps climbing but I think it will level off if not fall, good time to sell ?

Apple historically climbs all the way into their upgrade cycle so that's the argument to hold for the time being. The main argument to sell at some point is Tim Cook hasn't come out with a single innovative thing to move the stock in his 9 years as head honcho. It's looks to me like innovation at Apple died with Steve Jobs.
claym711
AG
Looking into Oil for a swing trade now. Didn't quite make the 38 level, but that is one huge iH&S now on the daily
First Page Last Page
Page 34 of 6421

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.