Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,082,385 Views | 224434 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recurring monthly revenue without license fees or capital cost.
khaos288
AG
gig em 02 said:

Prognightmare said:

Agreed, I'm with Irish and believe this will hurt NFLX long term. This is also wonderful news for ROKU because Disney + will power more ROKU sales. I expect ROKU to kill it this Christmas.

ETA: kill their sales and earnings I mean.

Maybe so but I don't know anyone that uses one and I've never even seen one. Maybe this is a catalyst, It just doesn't pass the eye test for me right now.

You've never seen a roku?
gig em 02
Nope. Admittedly I don't watch a whole lot of tv at my house or other peoples houses though. Most people I know just have a smart tv. I'm happy to play the options and make some money, and the stock could go to the moon, just one data point that doesn't mean all that much.
khaos288
AG
gig em 02 said:

Nope. Admittedly I don't watch a whole lot of tv at my house or other peoples houses though. Most people I know just have a smart tv. I'm happy to play the options and make some money, and the stock could go to the moon, just one data point that doesn't mean all that much.

A significant portion of smart TVs are actually built with rokus. It's the biggest industry leader.

I'm not long on the stock at all. I do buy dips for options and then sell on dis/Apple tv/nflx/amazon prime good news.
Ragoo
AG
gig em 02 said:

what kind of smart tv? A lot have Roku built into the operating system.
Post removed:
by user
ProgN
If they have smart tv's you've probably seen a lot of ROKUs and never realized it.
ProgN
You had a great day brother. Pour a tall one, get some sleep and get ready for tomorrow. No one has ever gone broke taking a profit but they have trying to only hit home runs.
docaggie
AG
khaos288 said:

gig em 02 said:

A significant portion of smart TVs are actually built with rokus. It's the biggest industry leader.

I'm not long on the stock at all. I do buy dips for options and then sell on dis/Apple tv/nflx/amazon prime good news.
Yeah, ROKU is built into more than 30% of new TV sets.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/2/20679060/roku-smart-tv-os-streaming-fire-tv-amazon-google-tizen

I bought two of the stand alone ROKU players recently.
I'm subscribed to netflix, hulu, disney, and hbo through it. I also have dish, and there are channels that use my login for that (cartoon network).

It makes it easy for the kids. They speak into the remote and Roku finds what they're looking for. So, I don't have to mess with a bunch of logins. And, honestly, it works much much better than the built in chromecast in my TV.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
khaos288
AG
jayelbee said:

khaos288 said:

Talon2DSO said:

leoj said:

They were up 1,430% and closed at $8.73. Congrats man

I'm trying to learn how this works. I wasnt the one that made the purchase I can't remember which person did this.

But am I understanding this correctly:

He bought an option for 30 shares at .55 when the stock was 140.00. The stock is now 148 and change so the $8 and change is what he "gains"?
Options are a contract to buy/sell 100 shares of the stock.

He bought 30 options for 55 dollars (.55x100)

Today they closed around 900$ (9.00x100)

he spent 1650, and could have sold for 27000

I did great on these, but you have to remember that these things can go to $0 just as fast as they can double. If a rumor came out that the infrastructure wasn't robust enough or that subs were only $1.5MM the stock could've dropped $2.50 in $10 minutes and those calls would've gone to $0.10. I've lost plenty on options along the way too.

I sold out half just after the initial spike at $3.50 and then set a limit on the remaining half at $7.25 after it started gaining some momentum. Yes, I could've made 2.5x more than that, but best not to get too greedy.

Yeah, I don't trade rumors/earnings without expecting to go to zero. The options money I made in Disney today was just buying strikes all the way up as it climbed and taking profit along the way. It got to the top and I sold all my positions except a few 152.5 calls. If those Went to zero in the morning, I would still have made a pretty penny.
leoj
AG
I just remembered that DIS and QCOM were big home runs for a lot of people a few months ago as well. Between those and ROKU I hope everyone is going to have a merry Christmas
gig em 02
Ha, I probably have one in my house and didn't even know it! Not sure if that's good or bad but I guess I'll put it all on black in the morning either way!
WestTexAg12
AG
I can't believe that I missed this DIS train. I looked at it Monday and talked myself out of options.
One good thing is that I bought about a couple hundred shares of ROKU when it hit about $105. That's my only consolation prize
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
leoj
AG
Man. What happens when all the upgrades come in.

khaos288
AG
Potential upgrades are why I held some dis and roku overnight, they seem to be running together
ProgN
They'll hit 13 M subs by Thanksgiving, book it.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Careful with the DIS train now. Option premiums are about to jump bigly
jbeck3487
AG
I've been following this tread for about a year now, but I didn't jump in to invest until July. I remember back when Roku popped after being under $30 and regretting not joining in with y'all. Safe to say I'm glad I got to enjoy today with you Ags, and I will be donating some of my profits that the good Lord blessed me with!
tlepoC
AG
It's been a long day so I'm struggling to fully think through a strategy with my limited knowledge. I captured quite a bit of profit on Disney on the ride up. Grabbed the tip today with majority but held onto a handful of options.

Does it make any sense to exercise early so that I can sell covered calls on this premium jump?
ProgN
I'm too tired to answer in detail but you can write covered calls on the calls you're holding. I was in a hearing today so I'm too tired to explain in detail but OA, Irish, Ragoo or UpState can do it. There are others on here as well but those popped into my head.
FishrCoAg
AG
Prognightmare said:

I'm too tired to answer in detail but you can write covered calls on the calls you're holding. I was in a hearing today so I'm too tired to explain in detail but OA, Irish, Ragoo or UpState can do it. There are others on here as well but those popped into my head.

Basically just legging into a spread?
ProgN
Quick basic example:

He owns 10 of the 12/15 $150 calls
He could write 10 of the $155, $160, or $165 and will receive the premium and they'll be covered because he owns the $150. He won't be able to sell the $150's though unless he's approved to write naked options.

gougler08
AG
leoj said:

I just remembered that DIS and QCOM were big home runs for a lot of people a few months ago as well. Between those and ROKU I hope everyone is going to have a merry Christmas

I'll add ALGN and SUM to the list...been a good year thanks to this thread even if I did get in NIO and OSTK because of it! Thanks for the knowledge share guys
59 South
AG
gougler08 said:

leoj said:

I'll add ALGN and SUM to the list...been a good year thanks to this thread even if I did get in NIO and OSTK because of it! Thanks for the knowledge share guys

The JPM calls worked out pretty well too. I got a homerun on those.
ProgN
WMT beat earnings, up $4 PM.
Pignorant
AG
WDAY was a winner.
Shiner Bock
AG
my best play of 2019 thus far was the SNAP calls recommended on here right before earnings, stock popped ~15%
IrishTxAggie
AG
Pot stocks may be headed to the woodshed today. Could be some value buying opportunities.
ProgN
IrishTxAggie said:

Pot stocks may be headed to the woodshed today. Could be some value buying opportunities.
I was gonna trade some stocks.................but then I got high......yay yay.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'm not in the sector, what happened?

Is the 'go to' stock still cgc?
IrishTxAggie
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I'm not in any either.

CGC, ACB, and TLRY.

CGC and TLRY have had horrible earnings
tamu2009
AG
From what I've put together, it seems like production capacity has out paced legal demand since we're behind Canada and the majority of states don't allow recreational use. So while capacity increase is generally a good thing and cost per gram has gone down, revenue per gram has also gone down because they can't sell it all yet.

This is purely my belief, that as soon as the US legalizes rec use, these things are going to skyrocket when demand increases and they can start selling through more of their product for higher prices.
ProgN
tailgatetimer10 said:

Quote:

*Canapoy Growth Executive Says 'Market Opportunity Today Is Not Living Up To Expectations In The Conference Call

Benzinga
FYI
ProgN
I'm not into pot or their stocks but I've read the cartels are flooding states where it's legal with cheaper pot and it's hurting legitimate businesses. FWIW
tamu2009
AG
Also very fair point.
First Page Last Page
Page 809 of 6413

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.