Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,521,812 Views | 223304 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ProgN
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
boyz05 said:

Anyone hearing about rumors of Kroger buying out OSTK? The talk is OSTK will announce it in tomorrow's earnings.
Take what you see regarding buyouts on StockTwits with a grain of salt.
CheladaAg
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

boyz05 said:

Anyone hearing about rumors of Kroger buying out OSTK? The talk is OSTK will announce it in tomorrow's earnings.
Got it in text from a buddy asking, just wanted to check with the professionals.
EngrAg14
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

boyz05 said:

I think OA mentioned this awhile back as well with 2 or 3 other companies, for Kroger looking into it no the buyout announcement rumor.
EngrAg14
AG
E said:

EngrAg14 said:

jm94 said:

Why, you got a body needs burying?
I hear theres a wall that need some concrete.
Trump's definitely not going to use mexican concrete to build it...
He might not but the department selected may do it to reduce cost!
The irony if so
IrishTxAggie
AG
That rumor has been around since around December I believe. There's been some major option activity on it, but I just don't see it happening

StockTwits is running with it right now.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Repurchased DXD. Will add if we get to 26,200 tomorrow.
UpstateAg
AG
Oil and gas people, is there a quarter that gets hammered more during the year?
leoj
AG
KR at 21ish would have been a good safe consumer play regardless. That ship has probably sailed
IrishTxAggie
AG
Roku (.08). Beat expectations by 62%
Aggie_2463
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Roku (.08). Beat expectations by 62%
Up almost $5 after hours
leoj
AG
LYFT and SONO both up over 10% ah right now
gougler08
AG
Here's to you Prognightmare, thanks for the note on the ROKU
gougler08
AG
leoj said:

LYFT and SONO both up over 10% ah right now
Good afternoon for me...have a little bit on SONO as well
ProgN
The naked puts?
gougler08
AG
Yessir
ProgN
Free money, but I didn't have the cash for the move. I'm long the stock though.
CheladaAg
AG
gougler08 said:

Here's to you Prognightmare, thanks for the note on the ROKU
Agreed, that was a good play strategy. Just need to identify more like those.
ProgN
https://www.investors.com/news/technology/click/roku-earnings-q2-2019-roku-stock/?src=A00220&yptr=yahoo
Quote:

Streaming video platform Roku (ROKU) late Wednesday crushed Wall Street's targets for the second quarter and raised its guidance for the full year. The Roku earnings report drove its stock higher in extended trading.

The Los Gatos, Calif.-based company lost 8 cents a share on sales of $250 million in the June quarter. Analysts expected Roku to lose 22 cents a share on sales of $224 million, according to Zacks Investment Research. In the year-earlier period, Roku broke even on sales of $157 million.

Roku ended the second quarter with 30.5 million active accounts, up 1.4 million from the prior quarter. Average revenue per user climbed to $21.06 in the second quarter, up from $19.06 in the first quarter.

Roku stock surged 9% higher in after-hours trading on the stock market today. During the regular session, it rose 2.5% to 100.97.
Quote:

Roku Guides Higher For Quarter, Full Year
For the current quarter, Roku guided to revenue of $252.5 million, up 46% year over year. Wall Street was modeling $243 million, Zacks said.

For the full year, it now expects to generate sales of $1.085 billion, up 46%. It previously guided to about $1 billion in sales for 2019. It did not give targets for earnings per share.

Top-Ranked Stock In Industry Group
Roku ranks No. 1 on IBD's Leisure-Movies & Related industry group, topping No. 2 Netflix (NFLX), according to the IBD Stock Checkup tool. But Roku stock has a middling IBD Composite Rating of 59 out of 99.

Roku makes set-top boxes and streaming sticks to access internet video services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon (AMZN) Prime Video. It also licenses an operating system to makers of smart televisions.

The company gets most of its revenue selling advertising on its platform, including commercials for ad-supported services such as its own Roku Channel. Plus, it takes a share of pay-per-view and subscription revenue from third-party services sold through its platform.

Roku is likely to benefit from the upcoming launches of new streaming video services such as Walt Disney's (DIS) Disney and AT&T's (T) HBO Max.
jamaggie06
AG
What are y'all referring to when you say "naked puts"?

A naked call would be selling a call w/o actually owning either a) the underlying stock or b) a separate call option on the underlying stock with different strike and/or expiration.

I guess my point is, I don't see how a put can be "naked". A put is either covered by cash or your brokerage is letting you use your equity as a cash equivalent. Either way, the put is "covered" to some extent depending on your accounts margin requirements.

ProgN
Or just sell a put. The premiums on ROKU that expire on Friday were FAT. You could have sold the 98 puts for an $8 premium.
YNWA_AG
AG
badharambe
AG
badharambe said:

Trying out some beyond calls here. Picked up a few 200$ for 8/16. Pretty aggressive but pretty cheap. .35 .

Trying to be patient on the dollar but my $DUST play isn't working with gold hitting 1500$.

started a small spec position in XSPT today, was patient and got near lows. Looking for 50% gains.

BYND calls up 30%

DUST - gold looks like maybe one more push before it exhausts itself.

BMIX - using BMIX to play gold long. this thing has been pumped so need to pay close attention. very dangerous play. Thinking we could get close to the .009 highs.

XSPT - sold for ~20% gains. Describe why i sold when I sold. You find a lot of pennies that have this ugly / awkward morning gap ups that lead to sells. These tend to cap in the high of the day and lead to weakness. The first white circle I sold some at 12 because I didnt like the lack of follow through. I tried to dump all but couldnt get it. Got the rest out at the circle of lower 11's when support seemed thin.

YNWA_AG
AG
YNWA_AG said:

AMD Rome translates to an average of 44% lower cost of ownership than intel XEON
Brewmaster
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

That rumor has been around since around December I believe. There's been some major option activity on it, but I just don't see it happening

StockTwits is running with it right now.
2 x 70k shares of OSTK bought right before the bell today. I don't think a retail sale is what will drive it as much as blockchain tech announcements and a possible CEO change (that would be a big one).
ProgN
ROKU has traded 3.3M shares AH. That stock is gone in the morning.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Call me the pessimist, but I might be looking at some puts in the morning for once the FOMO wears off. Strictly observation. Long term ROKU will run
gougler08
AG
Yeah I just sold a put...so i guess to your point I have to have cash available in case I'm called out, but I've always referred to it as naked if I'm not holding any shares
ProgN
I wrote the 110 covered calls that expire Friday. If it gets called out it's like I sold it at 116. I'll take it and regroup.
YNWA_AG
AG
AMD up 3% AH after announcing google is already using EPYC Rome.

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/compute/amd-epyc-processors-come-to-google-and-to-google-cloud
ProgN
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/08/china-pboc-sets-yuan-midpoint-at-7point0039-per-dollar-on-8-august-2019.html
Quote:

China's central bank on Thursday set the official reference rate for the Chinese currency at 7.0039 yuan per dollar the weakest level since April 21, 2008.

Investors are watching the yuan closely after the currency breached an important 7-yuan-per-dollar level on Monday for the first time since the 2008 global financial crisis. That prompted the U.S. Treasury department to label Beijing a currency manipulator.

Wednesday's yuan midpoint was the first time since 2008 that the reference rate was weaker than 7 per dollar, according to Reuters. A weaker yuan makes Chinese exports more attractive, and the Trump administration has complained it's giving Beijing a trade advantage.

Economists polled by Reuters had expected the People's Bank of China to set the yuan at 7.0205 per dollar on Thursday. The yuan midpoint was set at a stronger level of 6.9996 per dollar on Wednesday.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Think that got priced in already this week. Surprisingly, futures are green right now with that news.
ProgN
You're probably right but I was seeing it as an incremental weakening of their currency, death by a thousand cuts sorta thing. You work over there so I trust your take over mine.
IrishTxAggie
AG
China started a domino effect. They did this and then every bank in the developing (and some developed) lowered their rates to maintain competition with the RMB. In all of this, our market is showing AMAZING resilience since Friday IMO
ProgN
Thanks, I trust your opinions because you have first hand intel on the ground.
jamaggie06
AG
But selling a put really has nothing to do with owning the shares. You're actually leveraging up when you do that. ie, a move up in the stock price increases your stock holdings while simultaneously decreasing the liability of the puts you sold. Similarly, if the stock drops, you lose more money as you've lost the value lf the stock and the liability of your puts has increased. Thus owning the stock and selling a put is a leveraged long position; not a defensive or short position.
First Page Last Page
Page 689 of 6381

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.