Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,029,311 Views | 224263 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by ProgN
SlackerAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Index futures are up after the speech. Rally will continue.
wessimo
AG
Dow 21k. Up up and away...
Bonfire1996
AG
Would really like commentary on when to possibly take profits in this rally. I heard that based upon corp tax reform, we are underpriced by about 8%. Do we watch for that process to stall?
Joseph Parrish
AG
Bonfire 1996 said:

Would really like commentary on when to possibly take profits in this rally. I heard that based upon corp tax reform, we are underpriced by about 8%. Do we watch for that process to stall?
I'm not ready to call it on any of mine. I'm heavy in oil and gas though.
62strat
AG
Maroon Stormtrooper said:

There's a way you can add options trading to even your IRA. Account Features, brokerage & trading, options. You can do options trading in your IRA but not margin.
Found it. I had to apply.

What do you want do? - Purchase of calls/puts
What is your experience with purchasing options - NONE.

hah.

I guess they assume people start somewhere huh?

It wouldn't let me do it on rollover ira, only roth ira.
Joseph Parrish
AG
62strat said:

Maroon Stormtrooper said:

There's a way you can add options trading to even your IRA. Account Features, brokerage & trading, options. You can do options trading in your IRA but not margin.
Found it. I had to apply.

What do you want do? - Purchase of calls/puts
What is your experience with purchasing options - NONE.

hah.

I guess they assume people start somewhere huh?

It wouldn't let me do it on rollover ira, only roth ira.
You need to lie.
oldarmy1
AG
Hope all have been well. With a busy schedule all down time has been non-market related. What a freaking run the Trump-train has delivered. When I said bet on Trump I had no idea the run would be this significant this fast. We've never had a CEO leading the country and it ignited the forward looking investments.

I am posting at this point because the data started shifting to show declining issues outpacing advancing stocks significantly on the 28th and even on the record 1st the late selling took the number of sell lots above buying. With todays action it appears we are finding a short term pause and a sideways drift should be expected. The 7-10 day support level will be a key indicator for determining whether a covered call strategy can be initiated.

2017/02/28
Market, AdvIssues, DecIssues, UncIssues, AdvVol, DeclVol, UnchVol,
NYSE, 1083, 1914, 113, 27919479, 2847116629, 81837469,
AMEX, 120, 200, 22, 45028286, 88076785, 5395726,
NASDAQ, 647, 2243, 124, 550078215, 1627975788, 23676605,
aggiepaintrain
AG
welcome back
Bonfire1996
AG
Buy and Hold plays for me. I want to buy and hold for at least a fiscal quarter or two...

Took gains today in PG (Proctor and Gamble) today. They recently announced a reduction in prices for Gillette razors which has been one of their highest profit centers ever in terms of margin. If this margin is eroding, it doesn't bode well for the rest of their product portfolio.

Riding HD (Home Depot) through the heavy Spring season. Will re-evaluate in Summer. This stock has a chance to get overbought if it hits the $160 per share range. Also, with rising profits, rising dividends, AND a company announced $15 Billion stock buy back program, I think this stock is ripe for a split. Usually, a company relies on one of the three things listed above to keep stock prices high. That's why I think a split could be forthcoming.

Riding DHI (DR Horton, Inc.) for the next two years. Homebuilding is going to boom, but only for the companies with great balance sheets. Builders are in a land and labor shortage, so the ones with stellar balance sheets who have the liquidity and size to demand special treatment from their market subcontractors will thrive. DR Horton is the one that stands out as they command such huge market share in markets that are booming. The subs will take care of Horton first in order to keep their business.

With PG sale proceeds, just bought FB (Facebook) and plan to hold for the rest of the year. They are starting to explore the live TV market which would be huge because of their dominant share of users on mobile devices. The Facebook Live feature hasn't really been accounted for in any of their earnings releases, and with a PE of 36, I think this is low for what is truly still an emerging technology company. I think this company has some profit legs that we really haven't even seen yet. Similar to the first few years after google's IPO, this is where I view FB.

Long term income plays in a few REITS - OHI (Omega Healthcare) a REIT for skilled nursing facilities. Paying a dividend yield of over 7% and attractively priced. IRT (Investment Realty Trust) a REIT for Multifamily housing in booming real estate markets that have low multifamily vacancy rates. Currently paying an 8% dividend yield.

Looking for anyone to throw in a red flag for me.
Post removed:
by user
Whitetail
AG
nevermind, answered my question
Noble07
AG
I bought FIZZ (National Beverage Corp) in January. It's up over 20%. My wife clued me in on it because her friends are cult drinkers of La Croix sparkling water. La Croix products were also starting to show up in prominent advertisements for retailers like Target.

Coke has been sideways for the past several years as a lot of people are choosing sparkling water and bottled water over soda. Some articles I've read suggest Coke should or will try to buy FIZZ in the next year. I don't know much about the numbers and valuing a company's financials. This was purely a gut decision based on casual observations.
Heisenberg01
AG
OA01
On the Snap thread the opinion seems to be that the price is largely based on believing in the CEO than any fundamentals. At some point would it be worthwhile to take a short position in this stock if that is the case. Seems the market is littered with CEO's that can build but not necessarily run companies, UAA gets accused of this a lot. What would you be looking for to see if the timing was right to short after the initial bounce from IPO?
oldarmy1
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

OA01
On the Snap thread the opinion seems to be that the price is largely based on believing in the CEO than any fundamentals. At some point would it be worthwhile to take a short position in this stock if that is the case. Seems the market is littered with CEO's that can build but not necessarily run companies, UAA gets accused of this a lot. What would you be looking for to see if the timing was right to short after the initial bounce from IPO?
First thing to know is that the banks handling the offering will hold 15% of the shares giving them a quasi-short position by overselling the issue. Inclusive in the offering is the banks right to buy up to 15% of the issue at the IPO price. This gives them They also have a 30-day over-allotment option that lets them buy up to 15% of the issue at the IPO price, creating support.

Therefore 30 days is when a lot of short sellers begin taking their positions. As far as knowing the timing of an IPO for short selling I don't think there is a good formula for doing so. If an IPO shoots way up on initial trading then I'd look for a drop in volume in the first 3 days as a high probability of a reversal. If volume remains consistent for over 5 days then I'd look for a 30%+ volume spike day above the average daily volume. Obviously a ton of risk on any IPO strategy.
Gator2_01
AG
Also, it sounds like everyone is going to try to short SNAP. That's going to make it very expensive to short the stock (ie, huge spreads in an illiquid market). So you may want to wait until there is a liquid market both ways to initiate a short position.
FHUAggie
Anybody in on $ARTX, a defense company out of Ann Arbor, Michigan?

I just started investing in stocks (reading "The Intelligent Investor", and as noted in the book, set aside a very small sum to 'speculate' with and learn how this all works while not losing any sleep over the money in play) last week and dipped a (very small) toe in with them with 40 shares, 10 at $3.79/share and then 30 more shares this AM at $3.68/share.

They're current up 6.5% on the day and trading at $3.94/share after hitting $4/share twice this AM. They recently landed $8M in public and private awards and have their earnings call next Wednesday, the 15th...hoping for 'big' things.

Curious if anybody else is eyeing them/has any insight on their future!
Gator2_01
AG
In case anyone is looking to open a Tasty Works trading account, throw an Ag a bone and use my Referral Code! Can't argue with their pricing:

Comanche_Ag
AG
I created a Tastyworks account a couple of weeks ago based on Aggiemetal's recommendation. I like it and their support team has been very helpful.
Post removed:
by user
oldarmy1
AG
JJMt said:

I could easily be wrong, but didn't aggiemetal recommend tastytrade, not tastyworks?

Tasty Trade didn't have their own trading service, I believe. They were analytics and market insight. But metal did say they were getting their own trading system so maybe this is it?

Metal?!
larryj41
It is Tasty Trade and they have their own trading platform through TD Ameritrade.
Gator2_01
AG
TastyTrade is the online show.

TastyWorks is their NEW trading platform and their NEW brokerage.

Think or Swim was their OLD trading platform which was sold to TD and only runs through TD.

Edit: They also had Dough, which was an online trading platform through TD. Dough is the basis for TastyWorks' online platform.
aggiemetal
AG
oldarmy1 said:

JJMt said:

I could easily be wrong, but didn't aggiemetal recommend tastytrade, not tastyworks?

Tasty Trade didn't have their own trading service, I believe. They were analytics and market insight. But metal did say they were getting their own trading system so maybe this is it?

Metal?!
tastytrade is the online network
...I highly recommend if you want to learn to trade and be consistently profitable without having to be right on direction all the time, or even just any or some of the time (edge from options done the right way)

tastyworks is their brokerage (platform formerly known as dough they developed when in partnership w/TDA but now expanded from that)
....with the above unbeatable rates and the platform which is awesome, especially for new options traders (they have a traditional format but also a visual one where you can see your strikes and probability of each, and slide them in and out away from price to visually see and put your strikes where you want them in relation to current price of the stock/underlying)

larry,
the confusion is, the tastytrade guys built Think or Swim, they sold that company/platform to TD Ameritrade for about 600million ....they had a close partnership with TDA for a long time (it's how I found them on one of the available broadcasts)....a few years ago tastytrade guys built the dough platform for learning options traders that was exclusive to TDA at the time, that platform has now evolved and now is software based (not just web based as it used to be) and repackaged under new brokerage tastyworks

....their mission is basically they made their money and are there for teaching/empowering individual investors, tastytrade has always been free though they've put in thousands of hours of awesome research (and continue to) you can access through their site archives and education tab but they want changes in the industry (example, less restrictions in IRA's, that are archaic in "protecting the investor" but actually limiting ones that no what the hell they are doing, not being able to sell outright calls or short stock, hopefully can influence some change with margining in IRA's as well as it currently sucks etc) and the only way they could do it was being back on the inside with their own brokerage)

they are truly awesome, Tom & Tony (as well as all on air staff) will answer each and every email fielding questions or thoughts on trading...really amazing customer service for a product that's free
*no doubt their customer service on the brokerage side with tastyworks will be second to none (these guys get it and the customer is paramount to them, not just BS sales pitch from them I've dealt with it first hand for going on 4+ years now, they are amazing and again that's with what was a free service)

I'm waiting for them to roll out futures later this month before I make the move b/c I primarily trade /ES futures options. I can't wait, being full time my overhead is basically my data plan and commissions. I'm looking at 65%+ decrease in commissions from my current TDA rates when I can make the switch. The rates are awesome as is (see graphic a few posts up posted by Gator) but the the $0 closing cost is a true game changer.

BTW ya'll suck I want the referrals LOL. I've endorsed these guys wholeheartedly for 4 years, b/c they literally changed my life, long before they had referral code rewards:

aggiemetal's link, the guy who actually introduced you all to the awesomeness that is tastytrade and tastyworks

Also unlike other brokerages, it's really easy to apply. About five minutes. Easy way to switch is just transfer funds from old brokerage to your bank via ACH, and then fund tastyworks account via ACH from back. (I remember setting up my TDA years ago was a really overly long application.) Again they strip down the foreplay and make things way more easy and accessible for retail traders. Also previous restrictions or hoops you have to jump through trying to get access to upper level options/futures if you are a beginner is removed.
Gator2_01
AG
Referral hog.
aggiemetal
AG
not fighting you on this gator, hope you get all of those referrals...I'm glad someone else has the fire for spreading the word on tastytrade (and tastyworks), been doing it for years (painful watching my buddies with better minds than myself and more capital, floundering w/ passive investing)...going to do a lot of good for people managing their own money when it catches on

...it's a simple enough sell on here to like minded people who have a grasp on trading at least to some degree and at the least have the hunger to do the work in learning to manage their own money, but's it's a hard sell in the outside world b/c it's so foreign to people who only know exagerated fear and horror stories and the words options/futures scares them, though they wouldn't bat an eye at loading up on some BS stock b/c of a "tip" they got from a family member (who doesn't know ****) but won't/can't sell a call(s) against it over time to give themselves some probabilistic edge and lower basis

anyways glad some are hearing the message, it's a pretty awesome thing and I for one am glad I stumbled across it
Gator2_01
AG
Oh yeah? Well WHEN I get the Tesla, every TexAgger that uses my referral code can use the car for one full charge cycle (not to exceed 4 days).
Gator2_01
AG
Here's a really good video of Tom Sosnoff giving talks on changing the game of trading. It's some good insights from him on how his understanding of trading has changed over the last few years since they've been doing TastyTrade.

https://www.tastytrade.com/tt/shows/tasty-extras/episodes/change-the-game-tom-sosnoff-03-06-2017

bmks270
AG
I like the tastytrade guys, they helped me understand options better, but once I got to a certain level of understanding I felt like sometimes they glossed over the potential for losses.
Gator2_01
AG
This is true. They pretty much gloss over the fact that the buying power reduction is going to be your loss if you sell premium and then incur a 2 std dev move. However, in all the studies they show on Market Measures the Max Loss is always listed. Just last week they had sold premium on MBLY prior to Intel announcing the purchase. That ended up being an $800 loss per contract sold. The answer given was "This is why you stay small."
aggiemetal
AG
Gator2_01 said:

This is true. They pretty much gloss over the fact that the buying power reduction is going to be your loss if you sell premium and then incur a 2 std dev move. However, in all the studies they show on Market Measures the Max Loss is always listed. Just last week they had sold premium on MBLY prior to Intel announcing the purchase. That ended up being an $800 loss per contract sold. The answer given was "This is why you stay small."

I've done it for years and have endured several big outlier moves b/c of just that (staying relatively small). In fact each of those events causes a really nice opportunity ramp up in vol when I'm allowed to go out another 2SD's or beyond and collect a ton more premium for that. I stay small and those rare losses are temporary, all I lose is time my money would be working for me, but usually with that VOL ramp up and the extra premium I get that time back in regards to leapfrogging where I would have been on the previous pace.

If I'd have just picked and choose when and when not to follow the mechanics I'd have failed, the only way I'd have lost doing their method is if I'd stopped playing the game. Stay small, stay alive, make money slow and steady winning small battles most days, then in a big move against lose a battle not a war (again by being small), then if things ramp up against, assess the position and either lose a battle not a war or take advantage of the ramped up VOL and redeploy heavier, much farther away from the current price (as mentioned above).

It doesn't feel comfortable to many but it's why along with a skillset you learn first to manage fear, manage greed, take profits but also have the sense when to cut things down and wait for a more opportune time to redeploy. It works and it's why I'm full time. No matter the environment, it works. It's why before they had referral codes I've been endorsing these guys for the last 4 years (to the point my buddies bust my balls over it LOL).

They don't gloss, once you listen a lot, they address the outlier risk quite often and yes they reiterate following the model and staying small, across a number of uncorrelated underlyings to get up those number of occurences and further increase probability of success. Also with the new brokerage their low commission prices are meant to directly facilitate just that. That way for those out there less risk averse, they can do more defined risk trades and take them off, managing winners more aggressively, with no closing charge so they don't cut into those smaller profits. On TOS or other brokerages they really take a ding out of those defined risk vertical spread winnings.

Everyone must find their own risk tolerance and the style that works best for them. I can take more short term heat, so I'mmore short premium with various hedges built around the position. Some people can't do that and there are lots of ways to define risk and take advantage of vol ramp ups. It takes some live fire trading to find out who you are, many would be surprised just who they find themselves to be when the market pushes them. Pretty awesome discovery. But no matter where you fall on the spectrum, you find your own style using the options game to increase your probability of success and give you an edge over the 50/50 hit and miss, strait stock game. It's funny to me, people won't think twice about losing their ass on a stock (which no matter what they think may happen is a probabilistic coin flip), or pay tons of fees for the privilege of only winning on a mutual fund when the market obliges one direction, but the concept "options' scares them, even though it's the only way to get an edge over the market.
Gator2_01
AG
Absolutely agree. I've found myself moving more and more towards straddles managed at 25% profit based on their research pieces. Using their mechanics I've weened myself off of using options to gamble and make money off of overpriced premium.

I've had my share of outliers costing me money, but overall I'm still up just over 7% so far YTD and can see how this could become full time in a few years. Right now I'm just checking in on the account in the morning and afternoon to manage trades and redeploy when able.
aggiemetal
AG
Gator2_01 said:

Absolutely agree. I've found myself moving more and more towards straddles managed at 25% profit based on their research pieces. Using their mechanics I've weened myself off of using options to gamble and make money off of overpriced premium.

I've had my share of outliers costing me money, but overall I'm still up just over 7% so far YTD and can see how this could become full time in a few years. Right now I'm just checking in on the account in the morning and afternoon to manage trades and redeploy when able.
that's awesome man....yeah it doesn't have to be glued to the screens even being short premium type thing, just set some price alerts on your phone (just in case there is an outlier move in the market or a stock) and have a gameplan in mind for the possible scenarios, so you can just mechanically adjust without letting the emotion cloud your judgement

cool, I've honestly never fiddles with straddled much, even with my risk tolerance, I started with strangles at 50% though now I've moved more to short puts in /ES b/c the put skew allows you to go further for more premium vs calls where you collect far less and you're so much closer to the money

my wheelhouse is simple...but anwways these two posts and our styles within that umbrella prove, lots of ways to skin a cat in this game while still being pretty much in line with approach
aggiemetal
AG
Gator2_01 said:

it's also cool that beyond the 7% YTD so far (which is great in this crappy low vol environment) but more importantly at the moment you are learning and the more you do it, the more second nature it is....it's a great daily education, learning by doing and if you are making some side income while doing it, bonus, then when you get there fully it's a helluva side income or full time deal....a skillset you'll profit from for life but also one you can teach your kids one day so they can avoid the pitfalls of previous generations and actively manage their own money one day

what I can't wait for is when tastyworks is futures ready cutting my commission 60-80%...I thought it was on the lower side of that but recent comparison I saw put it more towards the 80%, that's crazy and gonna make a huge boost to your/our YTD winning percentage (the free closing trade thing alone is gonna make a huge dent for the good)
Burdizzo
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Happy new year!

Obvious resistance just below 20k persists. Will it be the 2nd time in 20 years that the magnet rule is violated, or will this resistance which has created a consolidation period result in a larger breakout move if 20k does get broken? We had a large run so this sideways action for the last 2 weeks isn't bad, unless your a call or put option trader.

Yeah cgh - PBI held above the new support above $15 so it looks solid for 2017 trend.

GE, per the request, has an extremely solid base with a bullish wedge. I would have zero fear in buying the dips on GE first 2 quarters 2017.

Anyone buy any PBI at 13 today? (I did)
Bonfire1996
AG
I see a significant pullback coming with Trump's tax cuts looking like they are going to be put on hold. If Trump/Ryan care doesn't make it out of the House, look for a major pullback. Because of that, I put a few stop orders on some of my holdings, hoping to time the market pull back and return to positions in the exact same stocks.

Home Depot (HD) - I entered at $135 per share. Just put a stop order in at $145.50
DR Horton (DHI) - I entered at $30 per share. Just put a stop order in at $31.75

I still like these over the next 12 months, and see a great buying opportunity if we get some pullback.
First Page Last Page
Page 66 of 6408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.