Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,027,388 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by ProgN
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Congrats to BSG and AMD!
I got an Alabama-born buddy (North Alabama grad) says Ags 31 & Tide 24. He's nailed the victor of every game since Johnny's debut in Tuscaloosa. We'll see..
FJ43
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

I got an Alabama-born buddy (North Alabama grad) says Ags 31 & Tide 24. He's nailed the victor of every game since Johnny's debut in Tuscaloosa. We'll see..
Nothing will surprise me. We seem to show up now and then when no once expects it. Not having Bryce (assuming) is a big difference for them.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

FJ43
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

BaylorSpineGuy
Farmer,

If all of this is gonna happen now within a month or so, shouldn't the XOM/CVX price be higher already?

Moreover, if a massive worldwide recession ensues (certainly looking this way), will the price drop?

In other words, is there even a bear case to be made for any of the O&G stocks?
spud1910
AG
Congrats!
spud1910
AG
Congrats AMD!
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Farmer,

If all of this is gonna happen now within a month or so, shouldn't the XOM/CVX price be higher already?
XOM/CVX a higher price? Yes, it should be higher. Brandon made XOM radio-active with the statement "Exxon made more money than God". No one - not individuals, not funds and not institutions wanted to touch the stock. Whether people will believe it or not, once the Woke crowd polarizes something, you stay away from it for self preservation purposes. Individuals and companies just shy away from the person or business that got tagged as "you're it".

Further, WTI and XOM trade pretty much 1:1 in price. There's just not a lot of spread between the two...until about 2 weeks ago. I have been posting that WTI and Brent (more WTI) were being manipulated in the Futures market. The Treasury, Fed, Fink or Soros, maybe all of them was/were holding WTI down. Everyday WTI traders just backed away from it. Open interest plummeted. All the S&D data for months told the market that WTI should be higher in price (XOM price too). However, no one big or brave enough could take on the manipulators in the WTI Futures. That is, until Saudi started talking in the press about the disconnect between Futures and the Cash market. When there is a supply shortage and growing demand, prices don't go down. But, amazingly, the DOE/EIA stepped in and found a way to manipulate the demand numbers downward to match that manipulated WTI price. Now both were in sync. Saudi basically said enough, and they are now exposing the manipulators today. They cut production by not meeting quota for several months, then told Brandon they would increase by 100,000 bpd last month, last, on Oct 5th they said the cut will be 2 million barrels per day relating to November production. Finally, someone (Saudi with brass cajones) gave Brandon the middle finger and WTI started to take off. About 10 days before the OPEC+ Oct 5th meeting, XOM started disassociating itself from WTI. XOM now trades at a premium spread of +7 to +14 WTI (use +$12). This disassociation will continue and XOM will continue to rise. XOM is a cash printing machine and the market will no longer be politically correct and stay away. The jig is up and smart money knows it. All the XOM analysts were projecting XOM at 107 to $127. Right now, the safe projection is $110 for XOM by year end. I think you could push it to $115. The only analyst that continues to be negative on crude and XOM is Citi. Goldman is $150 crude and $135 XOM and have been strong in their support.

Whether you believe explanation above is up to you.

This is how I saw it, see it, and continue to view today. From the above you should be able to discern the connection between suppressed WTI price, it's relation to XOM price and how Saudi is the strength to correct this manipulation. This explanation is awful to type because the entire thing stinks and is rotten to the core. As for CVX, it trades at $60 to $65 over XOM. Use $65 over for trading purposes. That spread should remain fairly steady going forward. I see XOM going to $115 without a doubt based on maybe a WTI move to $100 or $105 all by the end of the year. If WTI goes to $150, holy cow, I don't know how high XOM/CVX could go. XOM break even is $41 crude, they are a cash machine. The forward PE suggest a $120 stock with similar earnings to this year. And, XOM is the largest NatGas producer in the U.S. and #2 in the world (maybe #1 now with Russia out of the picture). It's been a long hard ride with XOM and the numbers finally prevailed....with Saudi's help!

Quote:

Moreover, if a massive worldwide recession ensues (certainly looking this way), will the price drop?
There will be backing & filling, no straight line up, but the BS in manipulation is starting to head out the door. Brandon is going to try and halt refined products from export, but he has no authority. Brandon will stop crude exports if crude goes to $125-$150. Brandon is the major violator today with his SPR Releases and cheap sales to China and other foreign powers. There will be a move to export as much LNG from the US to Europe. Brandon will try and stop this. NatGas prices for Americans this winter are going to be abnormally high. Will O&G stock prices drop with everything else, maybe to some degree, but not nearly as much as the rest of the stock market.

Quote:

At some point yes, maybe 2 years out...? I don't know. Structurally, O&G can't build fast enough in 12 to 18 months to even-out the demand. Supply chains and raw materials to make parts, rigs, pipe, etc. can't pump it out fast enough for the capex buildout that needs to be completed. If that Keystone Pipeline got put back on the books to finish, it will take years to complete. Hauling crude by rail is stupid. Cheapest transport is a pipe. However, Warren Buffet likes to keep his trains busy...amazing.

China is now expected to reopen in December. That would only put more demand on crude supply. Russian Price Caps by the G7 allegedly start on Dec 5th for crude and Feb 23rd for refined products. Couple more data points to insert in an already volatile situation.

Hope this helps you in some way.
BaylorSpineGuy
Thanks as always! Have been wanting to buy some XOM for a while, but the decision just seems too obvious! It's not easy to make money in the market. Professionals take peoples' money everyday. Your analysis seems spot on and I don't dispute any of it. I just can't decide if there's an aspect I'm blind to or not. As I said, the decision to buy XOM seems too obvious. It just makes me anxious.

Appreciate your insight as always and thanks for the congrats earlier!
BaylorSpineGuy
Thought this was interesting. Everyone always goes on about a good P/E ratio. Well, when a stock price drops, the P changes but over time so can the E. This may give insight to where we are headed.

Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Farmer,

XOM/CVX a higher price? Yes, it should be higher. Brandon made XOM radio-active with the statement "Exxon made more money than God". No one - not individuals, not funds and not institutions wanted to touch the stock. Whether people will believe it or not, once the Woke crowd polarizes something, you stay away from it for self preservation purposes. Individuals and companies just shy away from the person or business that got tagged as "you're it".

Further, WTI and XOM trade pretty much 1:1 in price. There's just not a lot of spread between the two...until about 2 weeks ago. I have been posting that WTI and Brent (more WTI) were being manipulated in the Futures market. The Treasury, Fed, Fink or Soros, maybe all of them was/were holding WTI down. Everyday WTI traders just backed away from it. Open interest plummeted. All the S&D data for months told the market that WTI should be higher in price (XOM price too). However, no one big or brave enough could take on the manipulators in the WTI Futures. That is, until Saudi started talking in the press about the disconnect between Futures and the Cash market. When there is a supply shortage and growing demand, prices don't go down. But, amazingly, the DOE/EIA stepped in and found a way to manipulate the demand numbers downward to match that manipulated WTI price. Now both were in sync. Saudi basically said enough, and they are now exposing the manipulators today. They cut production by not meeting quota for several months, then told Brandon they would increase by 100,000 bpd last month, last, on Oct 5th they said the cut will be 2 million barrels per day relating to November production. Finally, someone (Saudi with brass cajones) gave Brandon the middle finger and WTI started to take off. About 10 days before the OPEC+ Oct 5th meeting, XOM started disassociating itself from WTI. XOM now trades at a premium spread of +7 to +14 WTI (use +$12). This disassociation will continue and XOM will continue to rise. XOM is a cash printing machine and the market will no longer be politically correct and stay away. The jig is up and smart money knows it. All the XOM analysts were projecting XOM at 107 to $127. Right now, the safe projection is $110 for XOM by year end. I think you could push it to $115. The only analyst that continues to be negative on crude and XOM is Citi. Goldman is $150 crude and $135 XOM and have been strong in their support.

Whether you believe explanation above is up to you.

This is how I saw it, see it, and continue to view today. From the above you should be able to discern the connection between suppressed WTI price, it's relation to XOM price and how Saudi is the strength to correct this manipulation. This explanation is awful to type because the entire thing stinks and is rotten to the core. As for CVX, it trades at $60 to $65 over XOM. Use $65 over for trading purposes. That spread should remain fairly steady going forward. I see XOM going to $115 without a doubt based on maybe a WTI move to $100 or $105 all by the end of the year. If WTI goes to $150, holy cow, I don't know how high XOM/CVX could go. XOM break even is $41 crude, they are a cash machine. The forward PE suggest a $120 stock with similar earnings to this year. And, XOM is the largest NatGas producer in the U.S. and #2 in the world (maybe #1 now with Russia out of the picture). It's been a long hard ride with XOM and the numbers finally prevailed....with Saudi's help!

Quote:

There will be backing & filling, no straight line up, but the BS in manipulation is starting to head out the door. Brandon is going to try and halt refined products from export, but he has no authority. Brandon will stop crude exports if crude goes to $125-$150. Brandon is the major violator today with his SPR Releases and cheap sales to China and other foreign powers. There will be a move to export as much LNG from the US to Europe. Brandon will try and stop this. NatGas prices for Americans this winter are going to be abnormally high. Will O&G stock prices drop with everything else, maybe to some degree, but not nearly as much as the rest of the stock market.

Quote:

At some point yes, maybe 2 years out...? I don't know. Structurally, O&G can't build fast enough in 12 to 18 months to even-out the demand. Supply chains and raw materials to make parts, rigs, pipe, etc. can't pump it out fast enough for the capex buildout that needs to be completed. If that Keystone Pipeline got put back on the books to finish, it will take years to complete. Hauling crude by rail is stupid. Cheapest transport is a pipe. However, Warren Buffet likes to keep his trains busy...amazing.

China is now expected to reopen in December. That would only put more demand on crude supply. Russian Price Caps by the G7 allegedly start on Dec 5th for crude and Feb 23rd for refined products. Couple more data points to insert in an already volatile situation.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Think it's worth buy any puts through early November/post election given this run up? Im in on some long dated calls but this run up last week was a gift and I don't want to squander it
LMCane
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Thanks as always! Have been wanting to buy some XOM for a while, but the decision just seems too obvious! It's not easy to make money in the market. Professionals take peoples' money everyday. Your analysis seems spot on and I don't dispute any of it. I just can't decide if there's an aspect I'm blind to or not. As I said, the decision to buy XOM seems too obvious. It just makes me anxious.

Appreciate your insight as always and thanks for the congrats earlier!
how about the aspect of democrats trying as hard as they can to not lose elections so they will do whatever it takes to keep the price of oil low, and with a worldwide recession there will be much less demand for fuel.

If you do buy Nov Puts, I think I'd be a seller once you get closer to XOM earnings on 10/28. JMO.
A reduction in demand would be welcome, because the supply isn't there. This time, it is different..

If you're keeping score at home. An XOM refinery in France shut down yesterday/today....workers went on strike! Heck yeah! And the European hits keep on coming! You ain't seen nothing yet! (you know, that should be a line in a song..) Farmers Almanac states a long & cold winter this year across the globe. What does Farmer know? See what I did there?

PARIS, Oct. 8 (Xinhua) -- The strike continued in TotalEnergies and ExxonMobil refineries, the General Confederation of Labour (CGT) said on Saturday, leading to fuel-related panics in the country.

According to the Ministry for Energy Transition, 20.7 percent of service stations were experiencing difficulties with at least one product on Saturday, compared to 19 percent on Friday.

The delegate of the CGT of ExxonMobile, Christopher Aubert, said that at least 70 percent of the company's workers were on strike on Saturday.

For his part, union leader Pedro Afonso said that all workers on strike were in the TotalEnergies refinery located in Feyzin near the city of Lyon on Saturday.

The strikers' actions led to a decrease in fuel deliveries, provoking fear among the French of fuel shortages as several Total service stations have been closed in the country.

Minister for Energy Transition Agnes Pannier-Runacher told the French media on Saturday that "the measures we have taken, including authorizing heavy goods vehicles refueling the stations to circulate the weekends, have made it possible to stabilize the situation at a national level."

On Friday, several French politicians, including President Emmanuel Macron, called for dialogue and responsibility between TotalEnergies strikers and the company.

The strike started on Sept. 27, forcing the company to temporarily shut down the country's largest refinery in the Normandy region on Sept. 28.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Energy is extended. Buying a pull back to the mean might be the move.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG

Bob Knights Paper Hands
Does this normalize EPS to account for stock splits? We've had a lot of those recently, so if not accounted for that would tend to pull down EPS. Possibly making the actual EPS even more extended that this graph. It may very well be accounted for, though.
BaylorSpineGuy
Bob Knights Liver said:

Does this normalize EPS to account for stock splits? We've had a lot of those recently, so if not accounted for that would tend to pull down EPS. Possibly making the actual EPS even more extended that this graph. It may very well be accounted for, though.

You raise a good point and I'm Not entirely certain. But even if you subtract the major splits in GOOG and AMZN among a couple others, this curve still looks like a large retracement is in order. This basically went parabolic in early 80s when a secular low inflation set in.
Bnels1323
AG
Thanks for your insight!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
A caution on $USO - I don't quite get the mechanics of contango and what not, but I think due to roll yield, this is a net declining asset over time.

May be better to stick to XLE or Gush.
FJ43

Which way we going next week gents….

FJ43

Trading related because I have to make $600 Monday for these.

Ragoo
AG
Just send me the $600 and save yourself from wearing those.
FJ43
Son them is made for cuttin firewood.

Of course I have a Lucchese problem.

BaylorSpineGuy
Down is my guess but I'd be tickled if it pushed back into the 3700s so I could enter puts. Last week was busy and I missed the fun.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Lol on the boots.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Sell some easy OTM premium.
FJ43
Preparing for Monday open

All because of the Green Energy Steal.

Link below discussing NOPEC bill.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20221009-what-is-nopec-the-us-bill-to-pressure-the-opec-oil-group/
BaylorSpineGuy
The Fed is actually unwinding their SOMA holdings, ramping up significantly in October. I've followed this website for a while now, and it looks like they more than doubled their balance sheet runoff this past week compared to other weeks in the past number of months, although still quite a ways below what they stated they would do.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/soma-holdings
Ag CPA
AG
I didn't know about that site, interesting.
Brewmaster
AG
FJ43 said:

Son them is made for cuttin firewood.

Of course I have a Lucchese problem.
you're going to cut firewood in $600 boots?!

Brandon's Administration will set this country back to the 18th century if they pull off NOPEC. Europe is well on their way back to the 18th century now. Europe will experience de-industrialization and move manufacturing to energy stable countries where those companies have operations (growth in the U.S.). Europe will be unable to manufacture goods with current energy prices and be competitive in a world market. Shifting the manufacturing of European product to the U.S. with a strong U.S. dollar doesn't help the cause to go export. All the extra production will not be absorbed here in the U.S. with Powell looking for 10% unemployment in the U.S. Europe runs out of Euros because companies move manufacturing (tax base), people are unemployed (tax base), no sales of European goods (tax base), no welfare, no subsidies, no natgas, no electricity and the list goes on.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/desperate-europeans-return-world-oldest-050015923.html

If Putin is overthrown, that's not bearish crude or energy. The lack of structural O&G capex spending to build for a normal 2-3% growth per year was not spent in the last 3 years. It's not going to catch-up in 12 months. Energy is in a Mega-Cycle. It will not matter if a Red Wave happens in November, energy stays strong. As long as Brandon's Administration stays hell bent on the Green Energy Steal, U.S. Big Oil is not coming to Brandon's rescue.

Regarding SPR Releases (sales in Nov of 10 million barrels). The Brandon Administration tried to make this news again in an effort to tone down OPEC+ production cut. (Nov sale was previously reported a week or 2 ago) Reports indicate 155 to 165 million barrels have shipped from the original 180 million barrels total from the SPR. (Add 10 to the 180 commitment) It appears that shipments will drag through Nov. Current SPR inventory is approx 416 mb, say 160 mb have shipped, that means 30 mb left to ship, 416 mb minus the 30 mb puts the SPR at 386 mb inventory. DOE/EIA minimum stockholding is 315 mb. So, 386 mb minus 315 mb means Brandon could Release another 71 mb anytime between now and whenever. Then Brandon HAS to stop. The SPR will need to be refilled. With the information above spelling out the inability to produce enough crude to meet demand, refilling the SPR will have to wait, but it still has to be refilled. Do you think crude will come down in price over the next 2 years? I don't.

Gov Newsome is calling for a California tax on fossil fuel companies. I posted earlier that refineries in CA are doing routine maintenance. Prices are rocketing. No other State uses the CA blend so other refineries don't make it. I say quit refining gas for CA altogether.

IMO, the safest place for your money in this market is XOM, CVX and OXY, if you want to participate. Other basics - smokes, food, telecom and alcohol are secondary segments. This is nothing new from what I've been posting, but the situation is more dire today then it was months ago.

Side note, I have a son in college now so I'm talking to a lot of folks that have kids in college too. What I am hearing from these folks is troubling to me. The parents are not using college funds to pay for school because the market is down(they are still invested in the market in those account(s)). They are using personal savings to pay college bills.....waiting on the market to go back up....then sell investments in the college fund to generate cash to pay for school. Actually, I'm not sure what I would do if I were in a similar situation. It just seems troubling to me.

Still banging my drum.
Follow-up to the bolded above:
If CA goes through with the gas tax/oil company tax/whatever tax, it will get passed on to the consumer. It's bullish. Side Note: Just close the CA refineries and don't send gasoline and diesel to CA. They are smart enough to do everything by wind and solar.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/california-accuses-oil-industry-price-gouging-valero-hits-back

Germany Update:
I'll see if I can find the link again because some German weather outfit stated the winter would be cold and cloudy. And, these conditions render wind mills and solar panels useless. (Not sure if I can laugh any harder)

World Developments:
The LNG market already had a worldwide customer base. Now, Europe is entering the picture to buy LNG away from that established customer base. Market reports Europe paying 6X the market price to ensure delivery.
jimmo
ran a screen for RDR shorts just now
it's filled w/ energy sector names ...
First Page Last Page
Page 5746 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.