Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,100,689 Views | 224562 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by jagvocate
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That too.
ProgN
Quote:

AMD Stock Is Surging as Wall Street Gushes Over Its New Chips -- Barrons.com
10:30 am ET May 28, 2019 (Dow Jones) Print
By Tae Kim

Advanced Micro Devices stock (ticker: AMD) has more upside because of its new line of chips, according to Wall Street analysts.

The chip maker makes processors that act as the main computing brains for PCs, servers, and graphics cards, competing with Intel (INTC) and Nvidia (NVDA).

The back story. AMD stock has risen more than 40% so far this year as investors have grown optimistic about the company's product pipeline for 2019.

Late last year, AMD unveiled its next-generation seven-nanometer (nm) server chip, called Rome, which will be launched in the third quarter this year. Intel's first chips based on 10-nm technology won't ship until the 2019 holiday season. Smaller-nanometer manufacturing processes have historically allowed semiconductor companies to create faster, more power-efficient chips.

Read more: Tariffs and the Huawei Ban Mean Semiconductor Stocks Have Nowhere to Hide

On Sunday, AMD announced its new "Zen 2" family of desktop processors, which will be available for sale on July 7. The chips are estimated to outperform AMD's previous generation by up to 15% in terms of IPC [instructions per clock]. AMD also confirmed its Rome server chips will be released in the third quarter.

In December, Barron's suggested AMD could be a big winner in the cloud-computing server-chip market this year because it has a promising lineup of products.

What's new. Cowen analyst Matthew Ramsay on Monday reiterated his Outperform rating for AMD shares, citing his optimism for chip market share gains against Intel.

"We anticipate these products will drive above-consensus growth, share gains, margin expansion and AMD share appreciation," he wrote.

AMD shares rose 6.2% to $28.07 on Tuesday.

Ramsay said the company's skeptics will likely turn out to be wrong as cloud-computing vendors will increasingly buy AMD's chips after long periods of due diligence.

In similar fashion, Stifel analyst Kevin Cassidy reaffirmed his Buy rating for AMD stock on Monday, citing the attractive specifications of AMD's Zen 2 chips.

"We expect AMD to accelerate its PC market share gains due to higher performance, lower power usage, lower cost and ease of upgrade," he wrote.

Looking ahead. Ramsay and Cassidy reiterated their AMD stock price targets of $36 and $34, respectively.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Prognightmare said:

IrishTxAggie said:

In on some DE $140 weeklys
You're out of banland, welcome back!
It'll likely be short lived.
YNWA_AG
AG
Prognightmare said:

Quote:

AMD Stock Is Surging as Wall Street Gushes Over Its New Chips -- Barrons.com
10:30 am ET May 28, 2019 (Dow Jones) Print
By Tae Kim

Advanced Micro Devices stock (ticker: AMD) has more upside because of its new line of chips, according to Wall Street analysts.

The chip maker makes processors that act as the main computing brains for PCs, servers, and graphics cards, competing with Intel (INTC) and Nvidia (NVDA).

The back story. AMD stock has risen more than 40% so far this year as investors have grown optimistic about the company's product pipeline for 2019.

Late last year, AMD unveiled its next-generation seven-nanometer (nm) server chip, called Rome, which will be launched in the third quarter this year. Intel's first chips based on 10-nm technology won't ship until the 2019 holiday season. Smaller-nanometer manufacturing processes have historically allowed semiconductor companies to create faster, more power-efficient chips.

Read more: Tariffs and the Huawei Ban Mean Semiconductor Stocks Have Nowhere to Hide

On Sunday, AMD announced its new "Zen 2" family of desktop processors, which will be available for sale on July 7. The chips are estimated to outperform AMD's previous generation by up to 15% in terms of IPC [instructions per clock]. AMD also confirmed its Rome server chips will be released in the third quarter.

In December, Barron's suggested AMD could be a big winner in the cloud-computing server-chip market this year because it has a promising lineup of products.

What's new. Cowen analyst Matthew Ramsay on Monday reiterated his Outperform rating for AMD shares, citing his optimism for chip market share gains against Intel.

"We anticipate these products will drive above-consensus growth, share gains, margin expansion and AMD share appreciation," he wrote.

AMD shares rose 6.2% to $28.07 on Tuesday.

Ramsay said the company's skeptics will likely turn out to be wrong as cloud-computing vendors will increasingly buy AMD's chips after long periods of due diligence.

In similar fashion, Stifel analyst Kevin Cassidy reaffirmed his Buy rating for AMD stock on Monday, citing the attractive specifications of AMD's Zen 2 chips.

"We expect AMD to accelerate its PC market share gains due to higher performance, lower power usage, lower cost and ease of upgrade," he wrote.

Looking ahead. Ramsay and Cassidy reiterated their AMD stock price targets of $36 and $34, respectively.

Intel's IPC is usually around 5%
gougler08
AG
NIO thinking about a V bottom over the last few days
YNWA_AG
AG
I don't know if anyone else watched AMD's Computex show but OEM companies (Acer and Asus) were brownnosing AMD the entire time they were on stage.

Microsoft also basically said that AMD is their favorite partner, which could lead to AMD xcloud or azure deals. That is what it at least sounded like
leoj
AG
Do you know off the top of your head what other presentations they have coming up or timelines for product releases that are significant? Going to do a quick dive in a bit but just curious.

Seems like the AMD market share takeover thesis is highly likely to play out at this point. Might start a long holding position.
aunuwyn08
AG
How about my really timely and great AMD information guys?! My options are already up 103% just one day after Computex!
YNWA_AG
AG
leoj said:

Do you know off the top of your head what other presentations they have coming up or timelines for product releases that are significant? Going to do a quick dive in a bit but just curious.

Seems like the AMD market share takeover thesis is highly likely to play out at this point. Might start a long holding position.
"AMD will present at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2019 Global Technology Conference at 8:00 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 4, 2019."

There are rumors that they haven't announced a 16 core ryzen 3rd gen. Zen3 in 2020-2021. Epyc Rome by Q3 2019. New playstation and xbox probably in 2020
aunuwyn08
AG
YNWA_AG said:

leoj said:

"AMD will present at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2019 Global Technology Conference at 8:00 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 4, 2019."

There are rumors that they haven't announced a 16 core ryzen 3rd gen. Zen3 in 2020-2021. Epyc Rome by Q3 2019. New playstation and xbox probably in 2020

Don't forget their E3 booth.

Also I definitely agree, AMD is sandbagging their 16 core chip as a counter to Intel rushing something to market. Intel is in a really bad spot right now, as is Nvidia. I would start getting out of those companies now because AMD is going to eat their market share.
leoj
AG
Great, thanks for the info guys
Chickenhawk
CX continuing to bleed.
tramaro1
AG
Question is take off half and be net free or wait and see if this thing can really blow up big!
ProgN
I'm selling my calls at the close today or open tomorrow.
tramaro1
AG
Are you thinking it will come back down or just don't trust the markets right now?

I was think about doing the same. I need to be conservative and slowly make up for my pit fall the past several weeks.
IrishTxAggie
AG
tramaro1 said:

Are you thinking it will come back down or just don't trust the markets right now?

I was think about doing the same. I need to be conservative and slowly make up for my pit fall the past several weeks.
When you have an 11% day and your options double or triple, it's good to take the profits and see how it settles the following day after the news boom wears off.
Rice and Fries
Anyone here ever look at Tailored Brands (TLRD)? They are the ones behind Men's Warehouse.

They are currently paying a 10%+ dividend as the stock has repeatedly fallen. They do make some massive revenue but also have significant debt.

Michael Burry (the Big Short) has increased a position in them. Not sure I understand why he is investing. They have relatively strong stock, but financially....they seem like a wreck. But they've continued to pay the dividend....might be a good option for selling some covered calls?

Also worth noting that Burry currently owns 300K shares of JD lol
ProgN
The markets are tepid right now. At times like these I book profits because there is always something to buy. Even if AMD breaks out, you could buy a higher strike with the profits. I like being more liquid in nervous markets. JMO
IrishTxAggie
AG
Them buying Jos A Banks was a colossal **** up.
Rice and Fries
IrishTxAggie said:

Them buying Jos A Banks was a colossal **** up.
Agreed. But at the same time....I cant tell you how much money I've spent at a Mens Warehouse to rent a damn Tux. It's $200 a pop for a one night rental fee just to be in a wedding. Ridiculous.
ProgN
Sounds to me like they will be cutting that dividend and the stock will sell off.
Rice and Fries
Prognightmare said:

Sounds to me like they will be cutting that dividend and the stock will sell off.
Time to sell Naked Puts!
ProgN
If you want to own it.
ProgN
Where has OA been?

Rice and Fries
Sell in May and Go away
ProgN
It has more to do with what Trump said, but you're right to some degree.
YNWA_AG
AG
about to test 2800 support
CheladaAg
AG
Futures looking ugly. Hope Trump tweets a lifeline else we're continuing today's tail end drop.
ProgN
Futures down 20. We need a down open with selling capitulation and a rebound. That would be a good sign for the market.
oldarmy1
AG
2800 is key. If we don't see a quick move back above then all bets are off. Been a difficult month so I'm going to pare back and wait for a pure volume signal.

For those in CX, it's P/E is 12.48 down here. It had a huge volume day come in, so even with the ugly markets I don't see much more downside.

It's a long term trade for my portfolios and I'm not too interested in these moves with entries mid $4's. Timing of a market in turmoil is never a short term party.
Rice and Fries
10YR UST is now at 2.22%.
ProgN
Quote:

Roku stock gains after Needham boosts target to a Street-high $120
Today 8:34 AM ET (MarketWatch)
Print
Shares of Roku Inc. (ROKU) are up 1.1% in premarket trading Wednesday after Needham analyst Laura Martin hiked her price target on the stock to $120, the highest target on Wall Street. Her prior target was $85. Martin's increased optimism follows a recent Needham panel featuring several other streaming companies, which emphasized to Martin that the company has "unique advantages...because it's an [over-the-top] aggregation platform rather than a single streaming service." She argued that the company can command higher ad prices because of its narrower targeting and strong data on user viewing habits. Martin has a buy rating on the shares, which are up nearly 200% so far this year, as the S&P 500 has risen 12%.
oldarmy1
AG
SOLY to the moon it appears.

Key support numbers in play today on macro markets. Must close above these. QQQ 177. 2800 S&P DOW 25325
pacecar02
oldarmy1 said:

SOLY to the moon it appears.

Key support numbers in play today on macro markets. Must close above these. QQQ 177. 2800 S&P DOW 25325
wow
rgag12
AG
Roku, never change you sweet sweet prince
First Page Last Page
Page 568 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.