Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,106,464 Views | 224616 Replies | Last: 15 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
oldarmy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prognightmare said:

Why are the futures down pretty good in the AH?
ProgN
oldarmy1
AG
This is why I said I play things close to the vest. Markets could reverse and be green overnight or be red. We nail the technicals to get a nice run up so I sold some IWM, FMC and AAPL. I understand that if you don't have larger positions its hard to reduce shares.

I also know we have some in here with day trade restrictions, so the full arsenal of great trading is not available yet.
Post removed:
by user
oldarmy1
AG
Futures are in the smack dab middle of yesterday's range. We look like a move below 2900 is coming based on that opening. I would be cautious aggressively entering even options unless an obvious v bottom occurs.

This volatility could result in a directional change correction. The negative tendency with the pushes upward intraday, yet not able to breakout are potential share dumping actions by institutions.

I haven't seen lot size confirmation but with the automation capabilities it makes it harder to spot.

No China deal is going to be too much for markets to shake off in my opinion. So don't be naked on stock holdings is my strategy. Bought some puts on strength about 5% out of the money and will add a ES Mini Put close to the 2836 gap mentioned. That isn't a bottom call-it would be an easy negative mark if we do go south.

Bottomline. I don't think this is a time to "be brave" or expose large sums of capital. Hedge and patience are the thoughts for this period.
ProgN
Thanks OA. Sitting on 40% cash.
IrishTxAggie
AG
What about your DE weeklys?
oldarmy1
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

DE & IWM are my only trades for range continuation. I sold some IWM and most FMC (selling rest this morning).

Will watch 2900 but if no flash support bottom materializes I'll close them all.

Only other options I have open are CSCO and CX. CSCO sideways pattern is a premium killer so I'll roll them out again but make it a part of a put/call strategy, adding some $52 weekly Puts just in case markets fall through support.

I did buy shares of OSTK with earnings coming up. Will assess and see what actions to take there. Overall I am 92% cash in trading account and all 401k/SEP have Put hedges at this time.

Basically I want the markets to prove the hedges wrong with a bull move to new highs. I break even from yesterday's close to a new high and am fine with that approach.
tailgatetimer10
AG
As someone who's in full equity positions, are you advising to take profits off the table? Or flat out remove equity holdings? Trying to make sure I understand
aggieland09
AG
I believe hes talking to options traders. If you are buy and hold stocks long term then hold.
Rice and Fries
oldarmy1 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

DE & IWM are my only trades for range continuation. I sold some IWM and most FMC (selling rest this morning).

Will watch 2900 but if no flash support bottom materializes I'll close them all.

Only other options I have open are CSCO and CX. CSCO sideways pattern is a premium killer so I'll roll them out again but make it a part of a put/call strategy, adding some $52 weekly Puts just in case markets fall through support.

I did buy shares of OSTK with earnings coming up. Will assess and see what actions to take there. Overall I am 92% cash in trading account and all 401k/SEP have Put hedges at this time.

Basically I want the markets to prove the hedges wrong with a bull move to new highs. I break even from yesterday's close to a new high and am fine with that approach.
Still gonna hold LPSN due to low holding costs and time until expiry, right?
tailgatetimer10
AG
I figured as much, but was unclear. Thanks.
UpstateAg
AG
I've been thinking a lot about this. I'm a believer in Bogle head investing, but have been studying and reading value investing strategy, and think I will be pulling money out and sitting cash before the end of the year, so I can make my investment in a few great companies
Rice and Fries
UpstateAg said:

I've been thinking a lot about this. I'm a believer in Bogle head investing, but have been studying and reading value investing strategy, and think I will be pulling money out and sitting cash before the end of the year, so I can make my investment in a few great companies
I read this article which I think has some merits about dollar cost averaging

https://ofdollarsanddata.com/even-god-couldnt-beat-dollar-cost-averaging/
oldarmy1
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

As someone who's in full equity positions, are you advising to take profits off the table? Or flat out remove equity holdings? Trying to make sure I understand
So many considerations on equity holdings. Can you hedge with Puts or are they in a limited account? What dividend holdings would be impacted if exited? A correction is difficult to take advantage of in limited 401k/SEP accounts because V bottoms occurring intraday prevent large gain portions of repositioning (have to wait until end of day).

All that wrapped around my statement that I don't know how the markets will move right now. That's why I'm light in positions. Watching premarket futures I can tell you computers are already running that show.
oldarmy1
AG
Rice and Fries said:

oldarmy1 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Still gonna hold LPSN due to low holding costs and time until expiry, right?
Sorry - yes

We can see what LSPN wants to do but that's a tough move against a headwind. The bid/ask is only slightly below yesterday close showing strength.

mrad85
AG
I feel fairly confident my "bag full of crap" portfolio I have currently can't do too much worse than it already has, so...

I'm optimistic today will be a good day. In fact, this may be a HUGE day on the plus side. When good stocks suck, I tend to do better. Take THAT!
EngrAg14
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Futures are in the smack dab middle of yesterday's range. We look like a move below 2900 is coming based on that opening. I would be cautious aggressively entering even options unless an obvious v bottom occurs.

This volatility could result in a directional change correction. The negative tendency with the pushes upward intraday, yet not able to breakout are potential share dumping actions by institutions.

I haven't seen lot size confirmation but with the automation capabilities it makes it harder to spot.

No China deal is going to be too much for markets to shake off in my opinion. So don't be naked on stock holdings is my strategy. Bought some puts on strength about 5% out of the money and will add a ES Mini Put close to the 2836 gap mentioned. That isn't a bottom call-it would be an easy negative mark if we do go south.

Bottomline. I don't think this is a time to "be brave" or expose large sums of capital. Hedge and patience are the thoughts for this period.

Wouldn't the smart move (assuming the decision on the trade deal is made) be to buy calls say 3% OTM and put spreads 5% OTM?
I am also assuming that no deal drops the market more than a deal being made would raise it.

So a strangle but with more room on the put side to cover?
oldarmy1
AG
First thing to look for is can we get a quick move back above 2915.
oldarmy1
AG
EngrAg14 said:

oldarmy1 said:

Wouldn't the smart move (assuming the decision on the trade deal is made) be to buy calls say 3% OTM and put spreads 5% OTM?
I am also assuming that no deal drops the market more than a deal being made would raise it.

So a strangle but with more room on the put side to cover?
I like that
oldarmy1
AG
Oh, OSTK $13.08 flash buy. Back under $13 though.
59 South
AG
Hey, ROKU got another upgrade today.
oldarmy1
AG
ROKU and AIG say "What selloff?"
Trolley Problems
Continuing to play DE and dollar cost average here?
oldarmy1
AG
Held 2910 after blip flash. So far so good....need above 2915 and hold it
oldarmy1
AG
Trolley Problems said:

Continuing to play DE and dollar cost average here?
Yes I am
Rice and Fries
Sold my May 17th Google $1250s for a net free flag!
IrishTxAggie
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Held 2910 after blip flash. So far so good....need above 2915 and hold it
Be glorious if it held and then closed that gap. I'd be happy for the week...
oldarmy1
AG
Come on OSTK, make a move above $13.50 and make life easy for us
oldarmy1
AG
First 30-45 minutes mean little in terms of days action. New low on S&P intraday. Sure rather be battling here than below 2900, but nothing to get any sense of the day so far
oldarmy1
AG
If you didn't take the FMC open flash to exit calls for big returns then what in the world is this forum do for you?!

Perfect execution of a opening flash. Yes, if markets reverse FMC runs but we are in the TRADING business.
oldarmy1
AG
Here comes 2900
Rice and Fries
oldarmy1 said:

First 30-45 minutes mean little in terms of days action. New low on S&P intraday. Sure rather be battling here than below 2900, but nothing to get any sense of the day so far
And we are below 2900 now
IrishTxAggie
AG
A bit surprised the CHK weeklys are holding up.
mrad85
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

A bit surprised the CHK weeklys are holding up.
Spoke too soon
First Page Last Page
Page 526 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.