Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,074,646 Views | 224426 Replies | Last: 38 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only up 7.5 now, trending down from earlier this AM
oldarmy1
AG
Back up over 9. NVDA $184

Payday
claym711
AG
Found some interesting stats the other day.

Since 2009 >80% of the net benefit from bull market occurred during after hours. That holds out going back as far as the 1990s.

If you went long at start of day, closed at end of day, you would have lost money from 2009 to present.
If you went short at start of day, closed at end of day, you would have made money from 2009 to present.

Something to keep in mind as it looks like we might be setting up for another 2017 style bull leg, where much of the benefit came during AH.
diablo loco
ENPH rocking the casbah this morning. Party on.
JobSecurity
AG
I think I was confused about the PDT rule and lost quite a bit of value by holding overnight trying not to execute day trades. With a cash account there is no PDT restriction, right?
IrishTxAggie
AG
foleyt said:

I think I was confused about the PDT rule and lost quite a bit of value by holding overnight trying not to execute day trades. With a cash account there is no PDT restriction, right?
As long as you are carrying a balance under $25K in the account you are trading out of, you can be restricted from doing more than three (I think) day trades.
Shundere
This is correct. I got flagged and I called and they took it off, but said if it happens again I am going to have to have 25k in my account.
Ranger222
AG
claym711 said:

Found some interesting stats the other day.

Since 2009 >80% of the net benefit from bull market occurred during after hours. That holds out going back as far as the 1990s.

If you went long at start of day, closed at end of day, you would have lost money from 2009 to present.
If you went short at start of day, closed at end of day, you would have made money from 2009 to present.

Something to keep in mind as it looks like we might be setting up for another 2017 style bull leg, where much of the benefit came during AH.
Really interesting. I guess that means holding strong names through earnings as well. Cut TWLO yesterday prior to earnings as I wanted to lock in profit, but regretting that decision this morning.
ProgN
Doesn't QCOM report earnings today?
Rice and Fries
Si. After the market closes
leoj
AG
Yes, after hours

I was just about to ask if anyone was into TWLO. Also TNDM up 10% on their most recent earnings, I think that stock had been brought up a while back.
IrishTxAggie
AG
228 open interests on the $177.5 RTN weeklys Who is still holding?
Rice and Fries
U.S. Private Sector Surpasses Expectations, Adding 275,000 Jobs in April.

Rice and Fries
Bad news bear on FEYE and their earnings...

"FireEye (FEYE) is down 3.8% to $15.42 after reporting a loss of three cents a share on revenue of $210.54 million. Analysts were looking for a three-cent loss on revenue of $210.22 million. For the full year, the digital-security company expects EPS of 17 cents to 21 cents, and revenue of $880 to $890 million. The expectation on Wall Street is for EPS of 19 cents and revenue of $886.32 million."
IrishTxAggie
AG
Rice and Fries said:

U.S. Private Sector Surpasses Expectations, Adding 275,000 Jobs in April.

I'm actually looking forward to the 2020 elections...
ProgN
SQ reports earnings ATC.
JobSecurity
AG
That's what I thought the rule was too.

But I just reached out to tastyworks and they confirmed only margin accounts are subject to the PDT rule. Here are a couple other sources.

Quote:

The Pattern Day Trading rule regulates the use of margin and is defined only for margin accounts. Cash accounts, by definition, do not borrow on margin, so day trading is subject to separate rules regarding Cash Accounts. Cash account holders may still engage in certain day trades, as long as the activity does not result in free riding, which is the sale of securities bought with unsettled funds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_day_trader

Quote:

Day trades can occur in a cash account only to the extent the trades do not violate the free-riding prohibition of Federal Reserve Board's Regulation T. In general, failing to pay for a security before you sell the security in a cash account violates the free-riding prohibition.

https://www.finra.org/investors/day-trading-margin-requirements-know-rules
Rice and Fries
foleyt said:

That's what I thought the rule was too.

But I just reached out to tastyworks and they confirmed only margin accounts are subject to the PDT rule. Here are a couple other sources.

Quote:

The Pattern Day Trading rule regulates the use of margin and is defined only for margin accounts. Cash accounts, by definition, do not borrow on margin, so day trading is subject to separate rules regarding Cash Accounts. Cash account holders may still engage in certain day trades, as long as the activity does not result in free riding, which is the sale of securities bought with unsettled funds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_day_trader

Quote:

Day trades can occur in a cash account only to the extent the trades do not violate the free-riding prohibition of Federal Reserve Board's Regulation T. In general, failing to pay for a security before you sell the security in a cash account violates the free-riding prohibition.

https://www.finra.org/investors/day-trading-margin-requirements-know-rules
The reason why I switched to a margin account was cause it takes "3 days" for funds to settle and I was tired of getting pinged for Good Faith Violations when I traded with unsettled funds.
Rice and Fries
IrishTxAggie said:

228 open interests on the $177.5 RTN weeklys Who is still holding?
Irish, what you thinking on these RTN's? I just sold 2 out of my 5 to get to net free....and she just keeps going up.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Sold 1/2 of 5/3 RTN to plant a net free + a bit. Let's see what she does the rest of the week!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Ha! Nice timing. I did the same. Just going to watch it a bit and see what happens. Everything is gravy now
Rice and Fries
IrishTxAggie said:

Ha! Nice timing. I did the same. Just going to watch it a bit and see what happens. Everything is gravy now
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/raytheon-wins-419-million-u-211951713.html
spud1910
cgh1999
AG
Teum up another 5%!
pacecar02
Nice V in DIS to start the day
IrishTxAggie
AG
Thinking about rolling over to the DIS 5/10 $140 calls for the earnings.
Beerosch
AG
NIO continuing to drop. OA, are you still bullish on this long term?
pacecar02
cgh1999 said:

Teum up another 5%!
looks like it filled a gap yesterday

I think we need it to finish above 5 then the next point of resistance is 5.75
EngrAg14
AG
5/17 AAPL 212.5 a good idea?
Or will it drop again?
ProgN
FWIW, I bought the $9 strike 1/17/2020 calls on RIG for .99. Their qtr wasn't bad and it is a cheap enough play that has potential for a big payday.
tramaro1
AG
Not sure why DIS was dropping so much lately.
dlp3719
AG
Just so you guys are aware I just watched RTN 5/3 177.50 Calls have a bid of $0.82 and an ask of $2.30+ per contract. Intrinsic value is over $2.

I hope you guys know not to place "market orders". On thinly traded instruments like this, when several of us are selling, you have to be careful to make sure the buyers are there. Basically there were no buyers for a bit so someone was trying to snipe some contracts way under fair value.

You need to be placing limit orders if at all possible otherwise you risk really getting hosed.
Rice and Fries
Looking at June 7th QCOM Calls. Maybe in the $95 to $105 strike range. I could probably stomach as low as $93 too. The key here they report earnings today after the market closes so its risky. Might be more worth it to buy the underlying and sell some covered calls?
Rice and Fries
dlp3719 said:

Just so you guys are aware I just watched RTN 5/3 177.50 Calls have a bid of $0.82 and an ask of $2.30+ per contract. Intrinsic value is over $2.

I hope you guys know not to place "market orders". On thinly traded instruments like this, when several of us are selling, you have to be careful to make sure the buyers our there. Basically there were no buyers for a bit so someone was trying to snipe some contracts way under fair value.

You need to be placing limit orders if at all possible otherwise you risk really getting hosed.
My heart nearly dropped when I refreshed to see I was underwater on my RTN's and saw the 0.82 bid....cheap ****ers.
WestTexAg12
AG
TWLO may have found support around 132. Anybody playing this at all?
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
First Page Last Page
Page 507 of 6413

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.