Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,295,544 Views | 225299 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by El_duderino
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgShaun00 said:

donation sent
ProgN
CSX spiking AHs.

OA right now.
Rice and Fries
leoj said:

I was thinking of puts, got too wrapped up in QCOM so forgot about it.

Even though I left probably $20k+ on the table if I had held the dis and qcom calls, my portfolio is up 35% over the past 30 days. Just gotta stay patient, keep learning, and know when to hold my cards a bit longer.

That being said, the odds of two big stocks like that having double digit days both within a week are so low. I said grand slam, it's really like a home run in the bottom of the ninth game 7. So not trying to kick myself too hard.
Its situations like those that show us how hard investing can be purely from the emotional aspect. I wont be losing sleep over the QCOM missed opportunity. But I know had the investment gone the other direction and ended up losing (like the FEYE April 18s I still have), I could have lost sleep.

Investing is hard, even harder to try and remove emotions from it.
YNWA_AG
AG
it hurts to see that I sold 98 options for $.71 on april 5th, bought some back for 4/16 but not nearly the same quantity. Also sold early today, but I am still ecstatic
leoj
AG
Agreed, losing 50-90% on a call is hard to stomach because of the time decay especially.

I've been down 15-30% on a stock but know I can hold it if I still believe in my long thesis and most times it has paid off.

QCOM is literally an example even though I think the most I was down was around 10%, but the trial stuff had the potential to go bad.
jmcfar_98
AG
Donation also sent.

Given in JL Taylor's support.
ProgN
QCOM still climbing AHs.
leoj
AG
I hope this means Apple will upgrade the chips in the next round of phones.
ProgN
AAPL and QCOM signed a 6 year agreement too.
Rice and Fries
Prognightmare said:

AAPL and QCOM signed a 6 year agreement too.
This literally can not go tits up.
E
AG
Prognightmare said:

I rolled into the 6/21 $75 strike calls in the case there's upgrades and continuation tomorrow. Bought some time as insurance.

ETA: The volume is INSANE.
I bought a couple 6/21 $75's after your post at $1.88

hopefully I can sell 1 tomorrow and let the other ride!
E
AG
Praying OXY can get to $65 tomorrow!
ProgN
Colt98
AG
Bt Disney and qcom that's approx 40k in potential profit I didn't reialize due to selling to soon. Smh... ive got to learn more that's for sure.. WOW... to OA for being here helping us learn. On to the next trade... Not going to lie, I'm sick at my stomach for sure.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Colt98 said:

Bt Disney and qcom that's approx 40k in potential profit I didn't reialize due to selling to soon. Smh... ive got to learn more that's for sure.. WOW... to OA for being here helping us learn. On to the next trade... Not going to lie, I'm sick at my stomach for sure.

Better to not carry this mentality. Nothing wrong with recognizing gains, but this mentality can be toxic to oneself and cause you to hold on to losers longer thinking there's a rebound around the corner. Speaking from experience on that one.
Ragoo
AG
Agree 100%
ProgN
You're correct and that's good advice for people new to trading, especially if they dabble in options.
docaggie
AG
I'm dipping my toes in, so not doing but 1-2 contracts at a time as I learn.
I took a nap today after working late last night. Set my contracts to sell and they sold for a loss, only to wake up and see they were work a huge amount now. Some here made a ton and that's fantastic. I'm not going to kick myself over lost gains. I did profit on next week's call as it auto sold as well for a tidy sum.

Besides, a courthouse settlement isn't exactly something that one can predict, nor the market's huge response to it.

On another note, I'm guessing Robinhood doesn't have a roll option? I looked for it but didn't see it as something I could do.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
leoj
AG
Not right now. You would have to sell one option and buy the next. It's not very efficient for trading actions like that, hopefully they keep adding functionality.
IrishTxAggie
AG
They're supposed to be rolling out Level II pretty soon!!
Pignorant
AG
Sold my Qcom earlier this morning before the mega pop.

Not complaining as I've doubled my money the past two months following this thread. Gotta look at big picture.
E
AG
E said:

Prognightmare said:

I rolled into the 6/21 $75 strike calls in the case there's upgrades and continuation tomorrow. Bought some time as insurance.

ETA: The volume is INSANE.
I bought a couple 6/21 $75's after your post at $1.88

hopefully I can sell 1 tomorrow and let the other ride!
It's almost at $75 in AH
jmcfar_98
AG
Pignorant said:

Sold my Qcom earlier this morning before the mega pop.

Not complaining as I've doubled my money the past two months following this thread. Gotta look at big picture.

Exactly. Nobody should be unhappy with a profit. Can be disappointed but don't let it effect your future actions.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Can only add: Never lament sticking to a disciplined trading plan (it's hard to do). Many here have seen options tank as quickly as they rise.
leoj
AG
Awesome, I hadn't seen that info. I did see with Gold level membership you get Morningstar research access as well.
leoj
AG
So qcom will actually be interesting, this could have room to run to 80-100. Will be interesting to see what analysts start coming out with tomorrow with updated models with increased earnings and the long term agreement. Qcom says it adds about $2 in EPS. A 15x multiple gets you high 80s.
oldarmy1
AG
gotsand said:

Can only add: Never lament sticking to a disciplined trading plan (it's hard to do). Many here have seen options tank as quickly as they rise.

If you didn't sell the ROKU weeklies you have case in point.

I was fishing and received the alert. I knew from the news that QCOM was going to soar. I sold 80 of the 100 up $12.20/share and have the remaining 20 I'll part with tomorrow.
leoj
AG
Qcom under up another 5% ah
ProgN
May I show the board the fish you caught?
ProgN
Why is INTC spiking to 58 AH?
oldarmy1
AG
Prognightmare said:

Sure! I caught that fish before 100 QCOM call options jumped over $100k
ProgN
News came out on INTC at 6:30, it's at 58.40 right now. I can't find out what it is that would make it jump
ProgN
oldarmy1 said:

Prognightmare said:

Sure! I caught that fish before 100 QCOM call options jumped over $100k
E
AG
INTC to exit 5G Smartphone modem business, and focus 5G efforts on network infrastructure
oldarmy1
AG
leoj said:

Lesson learned on the weeklies, need to have a limit sell order already in for the opening pops. Still, 100% return for me, thanks OA.
This is worthy of discussion. When a stock has popped during premarket then when the markets open (And options go live) people have no idea if a stock is going to have a major continuation move or hit resistance. Therefore you have all kinds of action driving the premium price. You have short sellers buying calls as a hedge (or stop the bleeding), you have people emotionally thinking a big run has started and they chase the bid.

Once the initial action susbsides the premium quickly reverts to a more accurate valuation. So you've seen me post many many times selling soon after the open. This is why.

Moves like QCOM are why early premium spikes exist, and always will.
First Page Last Page
Page 465 of 6438

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.