Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,000,163 Views | 224169 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
DonaldFDraper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you very much for your analysis.

For passive investment accounts that can't be liquidated (401k, IRAs, etc), is the play to move into bonds and keep any additional capital in the sidelines?
claym711
AG
1 HR RSI hit below 6. SIX!?!?! I've never seen a reading that low. Perhaps in the financial crisis crash? RSI was far below BRExit, Feb correction, and August 2015 flash crash. Yet the sell off was not as deep. 4 HR RSI also below those 3 corrections. That is deep deep oversold territory.

Net Volume on the sell off was much more shallow than those 3 corrections. Total Volume also lower than the other 3 sell offs.

I believe we filled another S&P gap, hit the 2015 market top, and the 382 retrace from BRExit correction.

All that to say I would not be surprised by the market flashing below this support level and then recovering quick. OPEX week. There was also a massive inflow on TLT at the close, 1.4mm shares on the last minute after close.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Thank you very much for your analysis.

For passive investment accounts that can't be liquidated (401k, IRAs, etc), is the play to move into bonds and keep any additional capital in the sidelines?

A lot of variables would need to be considered. For example, anyone 100% invested in equities or equity heavy funds would be wise to draw exposure down to 50-75%, dependent on age, income, balance, etc.

There has not been a definitive top called, only a trend top spotted. When I see the top laid out with charts and explained ad nauseum with caution, it means I place a high probability of it occuring. That means I have locked in profits on trading shares, sold covered calls against my big gainers, would exit any flat or losing holdings (didn't have any in that category this cycle), hedge using VIX on macro move and selective Puts on stocks. (NOTE THAT SOME OF THESE, ESPECIALLY HEDGES, REQUIRES ACTION. EXAMPLE A-I POSTED MY EXIT OF VIX HEDGE. I ALSO CLOSED SELECT PUTS.)

In short, pun intended, I am very active when you see me posting those specific key technicals being at risk. So you had illustrated posts showing it was coming, cautions to pare holdings and take protective strategies and then, once I could see futures were to breach triggers down 72 DOW I tweeted that I hope people booked their profits.

Now, I completely understand that people looking to take 401k action are restricted to end of day settlement. That's always no fun when you see a 400 point drop, but coming off all time highs its not that big of a deal.

I have had a self directed 401k that allows me to make instant moves, even pre and post markets. That said, unless Friday turns out to be the reversal top trend reversal stocks will find volume support and recover.

Here are the 2 key takeaways however. Mark the highs on all sectors, markets, individual stocks, etc. when you have a large selloff day. There are too many dynamics to cover on money flow but we do know 4 billion shares = big players were in action. There is no way they can sell all of their desired profit taking sells Friday. But they sent you, me and everyone learning where they saw it was time to do so. That's much of what creates resistance on any move upward from those levels. Most educated traders who spot and buy a bottom bounce will be selling anytime we approach the mark set by the big boys as the top.

Now that also partially explains why markets and stocks that break these resistance tops tend to explode through them. Why? Cause a lot of money will short as we approach those levels and become part of the "fuel" for exploding it higher as they chase the ask to get out. People who sell also rebuy when they see it break higher. On and on it goes.

A program I have running as I type is a "short shares by available shares" on every stock. Common sense tells us how much "fuel" is in the tanks should big money squeeze us higher. Conversely, the more "flat-footed" that number the opportunity is open for big money to send us down without coat-tail riders. They truly want as much of it for themselves as possible. This is why terms like "shake", "head fake", "short squeeze" exist.

My entire focus and hope is that my postings allow you to capitalize on peaking behind the curtain.

Happy trading!
DonaldFDraper
AG
Thanks Oldarmy. As many have said, I really appreciate the technical analysis and time you are willing to share with us.

I've moved my allocations to 50/50 stocks to bonds in my IRAs.

I'll be ready to move money into my brokerage account based on the signals you've discussed.

BTHO PV A&M
oldarmy1
AG
% of short shares is less than 8% with average 30 day average of 12% so the big boys have the upper hand on driving us lower. Watch futures breaching all of the next level supports into premarket. Caution on any entries with this market. An open well below 2222 SPX and below 18k is trouble should be watched for volume coming taking us back above those levels. THAT's when you would take a Call or long position, the second it happens AND you have yourself an easily identified stop should it break back below those marks more than 5 minutes.

Otherwise it is the proverbial "falling knife" and you never want to be a buyer into a non-technical mark. 17500 area would be next major support on the DOW and 2133 on the S&P. That would result in wiping out every single gain in the last 2 years, so buy and holders - as stated in the Liam Neeson movie "Taken"
"Good Luck".
pfo
AG
What do y'all think about Apple stock? The stock has sunk going into the introduction of the new iPhone 7, it's got a cheap PE of 12, pays a decent dividend and now their main competition, Samsung's Galaxy phone, catches fire and is being pulled from the market. Wouldn't many users of the phone that bursts into flames switch to Apple? It looks kinda like a perfect storm setting up here for Apple.

Olearmy1, do you see any good buy points in your crystal ball of technical analysis.

Gator2_01
AG
Apple has a PE of 12 these days because it is being traded as a hardware company, not an emerging technology company. They have not released a revolutionary tech product since Steve Jobs passed.

Note 7 users will be more likely to switch to another Android product than switching OS platforms. Also, Samsung is recalling all those phones and they'll be replaced.

I like Apple long term because they're now financing new purchases in house. I THINK that future increase in earnings will be more tied to the financing revenue vs revolutionary new products. Basically, they're getting younger shoppers convinced that a phone payment is just as normal as a car payment and rent; in fact many will have monthly phone payments prior to worrying about car payments or rent!
SlackerAg
AG
AAPL is more in control of their future than Samsung & PC manufacturers, in my opinion.

Apple owns 90% of the smartphone profits & most of the computer profits -- yet the popular metric seems to be "market share" (they have a monopoly & the media doesn't notice). The person who has been designing their products since Apple's resurgence has been Jony Ive -- Jobs admitted they are the same person from a design mindset.

Samsung is a pure-play hardware manufacturer because they don't write the operating system & get credit for Google's profits. Therefore they can only add hardware specs (to one-up other vendor specs), not remove things. It's much harder & controversial to remove legacy items and advance the architecture & simplify, which is Apple's design MO:

- Remove Smartphone keyboard (here's Steve Ballmer's original response)
- Remove Adobe Flash support (very controversial, but the industry eventually followed suit)
- Remove Serial port/printer port
- Remove floppy drives
- Remove hard drives
- Remove CD-ROM/DVD drive
- Remove audio jack --> Digital audio (possibly future surround sound or noise-cancellation?)

I worked for a chip company of which Apple bought a small ARM chip division years ago. That division owned technology to run an ARM CPU at 3GHz on older fab processes (they've been planning this stuff long before iPhone). What this means that AAPL is uniquely positioned in the future to ween off from Intel chips & use their own optimized ARM designs (a major paradigm-shift) and keep more of the PC profits, which a large chunk would go to Intel. The Windows market cannot copy this moat because they are saddled with x86/x64 compatability (i.e., dropped Surface RT). My prediction is: by not having to pay Intel, Apple can finally lower their computer prices for the mainstream. Once they can create a $600 entry-level laptop, it will destroy the razor-thin margins of the industry.
Gator2_01
AG
So you're saying they have a very small chance of growing their smartphone market share?

In all seriousness, great inputs. I agree with everything. Actually an entry level laptop might be considered a revolutionary tech product... for Apple.
oldarmy1
AG
Quick technicals on AAPL: Significant resistance just above $110 and major support at $95 with intermidiate support on the psychological $100 mark. Any further move downward by the markets will see AAPL flash below $100, so an entry on the "v" bottom as AAPL is moving back above $100 would be a great entry. If no V bottom then challenge of $95 in sights.

BTW - Scenario of futures being well below SPX 2122 was in play and now above sitting at bid of 2124. Watch 2122 into the open and for any rollover, especially first 30 minutes. I'm satisfied to sit this one out and watch since well positioned for what is occurring.
3rd and 2
AG
Are we set for DOW 1600, should we start selling you think? My gut is to ride it out and that it'll slowly bounce back up by October. But I'm not a big stock guy. I know I read that al the big money is betting on the market crashing.
oldarmy1
AG
Big sellers on the open sends S&P below 2122. DOW flashes below 18k and back above quickly. Be careful out there folks!
oldarmy1
AG
Back above 2122. If trading SPX then you are long at 2122.50 with a hard stop at 2121. And preferred approach is ES Mini's.

If we bounce Jeff (Aggiemetal) has indicated a 30 handle bounce trade would be in play if we hold above 2122. That's a nice potential move.
oldarmy1
AG
30 minute resistance marked at 2128 SPX

BTW that would mean EXIT ES MINI trade made earlier. Get with the program with common sense reads.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
30 minute resistance marked at 2128 SPX
See how that works?
oldarmy1
AG
Now at 1st 30 minute support mark 2125. Bounce here or trouble. Ducked below 2125 and then volume bounce. 7 minutes left on 1st 30 minute directional. Above 2128 bullish by then....below 2125 bearish.
oldarmy1
AG
Break above 2128
oldarmy1
AG
2149 value high in play on S&P
Comanche_Ag
AG

Pasquale Liucci
AG
If we approach that high, would today be a good day to move 401ks into cash? It looks like the bottom of the channel defined by the lows on Feb 11 and Jun 27 (S&P 500) is holding, but I know you may have a clearer picture of the market direction in the intermediate term.

oldarmy1
AG
quote:
If we approach that high, would today be a good day to move 401ks into cash? It looks like the bottom of the channel defined by the lows on Feb 11 and Jun 27 (S&P 500) is holding, but I know you may have a clearer picture of the market direction in the intermediate term.

If it were my money? Without question.
3rd and 2
AG
OldArmy, is today a dead cat bounce or something else?
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Thanks.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
OldArmy, is today a dead cat bounce or something else?
Impossible to know that, which is why I posted that I am not trading the bounce. We got the anticipated drop cautioned. We got the bounce from the early drop below 2122 anticipated and now it's a wait and see.
claym711
AG
28 point move off the lows and RSI from 4 to 60
oldarmy1
AG
Shadowtrader is a recommended site for a lot of free education. It has a daily schedule of ES Mini value points that daytraders utilize. For deeper education you could become a member.

http://www.shadowtrader.net/market-profile-analysis-sp-futures-09-12-16/
Comeby!
AG
OA,
Thanks for your insight. I wish I had more time to follow along and trade along side all of you.
oldarmy1
AG
Out the rest of the day. Best to all!
oldarmy1
AG
2149 hit with quick blip to 2150 before the drop back. Everyone see how the value high was spot on?
Comanche_Ag
AG
quote:
2149 hit with quick blip to 2150 before the drop back. Everyone see how the value high was spot on?
That was almost eerily accurate...I'm impressed.
Ag97
AG
So I'm trying to keep up with this thread and gain some knowledge on using shorts to make some headway in this market. At first it was like trying to get a drink out of firehose but its starting to make more and more sense as I follow it.

That being said I have 2 questions. Number one, how effiecient is it to make the quantity of trades you guys do on the tax side? Isn't there a higher tax on short term trades and how does that cut into profits compared to a normal buy and hold system where you may own the stock for 1+ years?

2. I didn't pay attention last week and am still 95% in stocks right now. With the run up today, I've gained back 2/3rds of what I lost on Friday. Is it still a good time to take some profits off the table and wait and see if a big fall happens in the near future like so many are talking about or leave them alone and hope the markets keep trending up for another month or two until after the election?
oldarmy1
AG
What it does is give you a high probability target. That's why I was willing to post that 2149 was "in play", meaning high probability to hit. What happens from there would have an entire new rule.
brownbrick
AG
Does new rule apply to the market closing above 2149? Basically you're in a wait and see at that point until you can gather more information? right now the S&P is at 2159.
claym711
AG
Friday wiped out. Net vol from the two days almost equal. That's a pretty strong confirmation of the 2015 market top breakout
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Does new rule apply to the market closing above 2149? Basically you're in a wait and see at that point until you can gather more information? right now the S&P is at 2159.
Right. The 2149 was as close to a "sure thing" as you get in day trading technicals. Shadowtrader provides those key marks and rules for them becoming "in play". The 2149 was for this weeks expiring marks, which expire this week (shown on Shadwotrader as esu6). The new marks, esz6 are listed there now with 2162. We moved down 60 handles Friday and back up 36 handles today. It played out almost exactly as described on Friday and Saturday discussion for the bounce side of the equation.
First Page Last Page
Page 43 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.