Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,517,008 Views | 223268 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by Aston04
oldarmy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I didn't buy in the low 11's. Looking for an entry point and was wondering the if I should wait.
No worries. Also, before re-entering any hedge trades keep a close eye on macro markets. Both S&P and DOW are challenging recent highs and a breakout will reset the target entry on the hedge trades like VIX or Bear ETF's like TZA, FAZ, etc.

A breakout to new highs means all of those will see new trend lows. I'd prefer to take those trades off the radar right now even if the breakout fails and we miss a potential hedge gain.
oldarmy1
AG
The previous all-time low on the VIX was $10.34. It won't surprise me to see it below $10 as the market presses higher. The globalists will not stop sending the market higher until they are convinced Hillary can't lose. Money flow from foreign currency (another of those monitored indicators) is extremely strong.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
I didn't buy in the low 11's. Looking for an entry point and was wondering the if I should wait.
Want to add that if you are heavily invested then entering the VIX as a hedge versus a simple trade always makes sense when markets have pressed up to previous resistance. So many different ways to look at these things that I never want anyone viewing things as a cookie cutter approach.
gindaloon
AG
quote:
Yep, I get that. I'm just checking on the mechanism to bet with or against the VIX. Thanks
You cannot directly trade the VIX as it is just an index. However there are ETFs, Futures, and Options that are available to trade but each has there own pros and cons.
Post removed:
by user
The Pilot
AG
TWTR getting close to $20
El Chupacabra
quote:
Yep, I get that. I'm just checking on the mechanism to bet with or against the VIX. Thanks
VIX futures probably.

And kicking myself for not going with my gut on TWTR <16.
oldarmy1
AG
RBS July 6th bottom reversal signal turned out well. $4 to over $5 now. Had next major volume support reversal from last $5 resistance pullback occur August 5th. It might take some time but RBS has seen it's lows and will find its way higher. Options trade was off that bottom reversal. Now it's a long term hold.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Hey oldarmy, really appreciate your willingness to answer questions. I'm a pretty big noob but have a question if you'd be willing to do some analysis, if you have the time.

I have some ESPP shares for PXD. I am going to be selling some in the near future to fund a purchase. From a technical trading perspective do you expect I'd be better off selling now (52-week high) or does it look like PXD can keep rising in the coming days/weeks?

Thanks!
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Hey oldarmy, really appreciate your willingness to answer questions. I'm a pretty big noob but have a question if you'd be willing to do some analysis, if you have the time.

I have some ESPP shares for PXD. I am going to be selling some in the near future to fund a purchase. From a technical trading perspective do you expect I'd be better off selling now (52-week high) or does it look like PXD can keep rising in the coming days/weeks?

Thanks!
I never like to tell anyone when to sell a stock I don't own and haven't studied but I don't mind saying I'd sell this very minute if I was going to be needing those funds for a future purpose. Technically speaking you have 3 days of resistance testing upper range and staying pretty much flat. Today it is forming the dreaded death cross on the chart (open and close at same price after trading downward and recovering only to opening high, yet unable to press further.

So on its face combined with your stated goal get outta dodge right now.
3rd and 2
AG
I sold a ton of puts and bought some call in NVDA (Nvidia) recently. Earnings came out just now and after hours trading shows that it's up 4%. Who else got in on that?
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
I sold a ton of puts and bought some call in NVDA (Nvidia) recently. Earnings came out just now and after hours trading shows that it's up 4%. Who else got in on that?
oldarmy1
AG
quote:

Depending on your brokerage it could be straight symbol VIX. Shares only, no options. TVIX is a 2x VIX ETF. I use that when confidence is high.
Gator2_01
AG
IF you can trade futures you can buy or sell VIX.

Those that are not trading futures can trade ETNs that are based on VIX contracts 30 days in the future (not actual current VIX prices... it will make a difference if you're trying to buy peaks and valleys of VIX).

VXX is long 30 day VIX futures
XIV is short 30 day VIX futures
claym711
AG
Contango will destroy you in the VIX derivatives. If you want to Long VIX as a hedge, options.

Shorting the VIX derivatives on spikes is the easiest money you'll ever make.
Post removed:
by user
0708aggie
AG
Has anyone taken a look at Seadrill (SDRL)? Current Price is 2.73 which is 1.3B market cap, but book equity is 9B. Why is this trading at such a low price/book?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Can someone please give me good news on Atwood stock? I have many vested shares from my time there... don't know if I should sell and get what I can or wait it out.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Can someone please give me good news on Atwood stock? I have many vested shares from my time there... don't know if I should sell and get what I can or wait it out.
I can give you some potential good news with some current not so good news. It traded 1M shares as it hits new trend lows. That's 25% of average daily volume. So the potential good news is the sellers have slowed down. The not so good news is where are the buyers? Last big down day August 2nd had 9M shares traded and Aug 3rd saw the 50% retracement bounce within the August 2nd drop (not a good sign). It managed to challenge the Aug 2nd resistance Aug 8th and 9th failing both times (Classic sell signal) and resumed its drop.

All that to say this is one sick stock with $8.50 last major support squarely on the horizon. If markets pullback that will challenge the major support range $8.

Sorry I can't offer a positive outlook.
oldarmy1
AG
Wave analysis shows a decent up day today or tomorrow would set up a short term top. Just throwing that out there for trade positioning strategies.

TWTR hitting $20....that dog of a stock!
aggieland09
AG
How long until the market realizes the terror of Hilary or Trump taking the helm and starts tanking?

All jokes aside, how long do yall think this upswing / bull run will last?
aggie_fan13
AG
i dont believe that the markets will have as much an effect with Hilary as it would trump, that being said hillary is projected to win and i doubt there will be much effect since it will basically be a third obama term
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
How long until the market realizes the terror of Hilary or Trump taking the helm and starts tanking?

All jokes aside, how long do yall think this upswing / bull run will last?
Until there is absolute certainty Hillary can't lose. Dead serious - like Seth Rich. Snopes block and tackling removed....

Yo Parrish....you have mail!
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Hey Spreadsheet - selling went way down on Atwood today. Likely move higher tomorrow. Owed you that after such a downer forecast.
Joseph Parrish
AG
I sent a response.

Does anybody here use etrade to sell calls? I'm a little confused at what exactly I need to put in to make it happen.
oldarmy1
AG
VIX has large players buying looking at the wave analysis. Shot the VIX up on a day it normally would deteriorate. Pay attention to that...
claym711
AG
Beyond ready for normal volatility to return to the market. Not even asking for election year volatility. Like, where a 2 point move is not the new version of a crash. Think I read from one of the quant gurus that it's a one in 10,000 year volatility crush that occurred in that 14 day range (whatever that means). You have to hold your nose and go long in this pure multiple expansion market
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Beyond ready for normal volatility to return to the market. Not even asking for election year volatility. Like, where a 2 point move is not the new version of a crash. Think I read from one of the quant gurus that it's a one in 10,000 year volatility crush that occurred in that 14 day range (whatever that means). You have to hold your nose and go long in this pure multiple expansion market
Ain't it been fun?
what say you
bump
claym711
AG

Spaceship
AG
quote:

Can you help explain the implications of this chart to a garden variety moron like myself? Thanks.
claym711
AG
Earnings recessions usually coincide with major major corrections or bear markets.
claym711
AG
Island top in play on S&P
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Island top in play on S&P
Wave reversal results in confirmation signal in island top. Not that anyone here is trying to time the markets.

Who used that wave info yesterday to position correctly? TWTR $20 covered calls / AMZN $760 Puts and the VIX entry yesterday on that lead the way today.
3rd and 2
AG
You purchased $760 amazon puts?
First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 6380

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.