Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,105,086 Views | 224603 Replies | Last: 24 min ago by Spoony Love
dreyOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thoughts on SW (Luv)? I'm curious about stocks that drop after 'one-off' types of issues. Seems like a potential discount on the surface...
oldarmy1
AG
4th day of TWTR attempting to break resistance. Notice the higher lows every day continuing thus far today creates that ascending triangle.
Aggie Oilman
What are your thoughts on PayPal following in EBay's footsteps after they report this afternoon oldarmy? Are you playing it in anyway?
oldarmy1
AG
I only own EBAY but think Paypal does well on earnings
Aggie Oilman
I appreciate your insight oldarmy! Thanks
Skillet Shot
How is the stock market hitting record highs right now with all the uncertainty in the world? I don't get it
Aggie Oilman
With negative interest rates and low bond rates there's nothing better to invest in at the moment.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
How is the stock market hitting record highs right now with all the uncertainty in the world? I don't get it

One of the main reasons I said to trade another bull market leg was because BREXIT and uncertainty in the next domino to fall would result in the wealthy looking for safe haven investments. They are parking their money in U.S. equities.
Aggie Oilman
Any guess on Pandora oldarmy?
oldarmy1
AG
quote:

P has had a long road since IPO and failed takeover deal. I don't know on it. It's had a slow build on price into earnings so being Thursday you have the cheap option trade available. You hit earnings and make a great return. Otherwise you lose your investment.
claym711
AG
Oldarmy, how do you feel about and do you trade with e-mini? Seems very advantageous to other index options, or ETFs, especially levered ETFs.

Simply trading consolidation ranges is not very difficult, and with stops also not very dangerous. If one were to average at just $50/contract/day, the returns are staggering.
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
quote:

P has had a long road since IPO and failed takeover deal. I don't know on it. It's had a slow build on price into earnings so being Thursday you have the cheap option trade available. You hit earnings and make a great return. Otherwise you lose your investment.
To finish up on P it hit it's number but missed on revenue down 86 cents in after hours. There's a great example of why a cheap option beats going into a stock around earnings.
GigemCO2008
AG
This has been a great thread to read over the past couple of days. I am mainly following to know when to convert my 401k when this bubble bursts. Staying long term in the market has protected my principal by not selling after the last 2 down swings, but other than that, its been pretty lousy over the past 10 months.

I am not ready to begin option trading, but just curious for the guys that do, what is the cost option that you guys normally do?

I have a small USAA account that I don't mind playing with, and if I lose, so be it.

Also, what are the normal fees people see when executing options on the front and back end?

Thanks for the help and the insight OldArmy.
The Pilot
AG
PYPL beats earnings report and is down 7%?
Aggie Oilman
Looks like the analysts thought the Visa deal was much better for Visa than Paypal. Also an analyst downgraded Paypal today.
claym711
AG
Key level for TWTR. In danger of falling back into a wide consolidation range.
oldarmy1
AG
They ran TWTR up ahead of earnings Tuesday and are taking profits. If it surprises to the upside it will jump to new highs and push $20. If it comes in line then the # of new subs will dominate the analysts talk. If subs showed growth revenues hitting anywhere close to expectations the stock will also jump.

Flat subs will likely put TWTR in a range between $15.50-$recent highs until 6-7 weeks before the next quarterly earnings. That would be a perfect setting for selling covered calls out 2 weeks anytime above $18.25 and then rinse and repeat for up to 4 cycles. You could literally earn a 20-30% return on covered call premiums over that span.

It found support early this morning so far and if that holds expect a slight move higher, but doubtful any breakout into earnings. The recent 4 day attempt to new high resistance could technically become the head of a head and shoulder. Pull up a 10 day chart and you see what would be the left shoulder and head. Today could be the start of the right shoulder in line with the left shoulder. What that would tell us is that the big money is positioning for a drop when earnings are announced. Therefore my hedge will go into place by end of day Tuesday. I've already booked stock sale profits on spotting that resistance but did not sell covered calls. I'll hedge with Puts versus covered calls because I don't want to reduce my core holdings in case of an upside surprise.

Giving you a very detailed approach example here to let you see how I manage each individual stock.

Happy trading!
oldarmy1
AG
Shorting this market will eat you alive! DON'T DO IT! You have to adjust your minds away from looking for tops to look for pullback entries. Talking resistance is great but breaking resistance is inevitable on most stocks.

3 PM's asking about shorting this market. Have you not been reading? "DON'T sell holdings or short anything when breaking 18k on DOW because it will be a BULL leg higher." That's a MACRO change. Until we have a macro change reversal you do not short the market or you'll get crushed.
Foamcows
AG
so you are saying short it?
Spaceship
AG
quote:
Shorting this market will eat you alive! DON'T DO IT! You have to adjust your minds away from looking for tops to look for pullback entries. Talking resistance is great but breaking resistance is inevitable on most stocks.

3 PM's asking about shorting this market. Have you not been reading? "DON'T sell holdings or short anything when breaking 18k on DOW because it will be a BULL leg higher." That's a MACRO change. Until we have a macro change reversal you do not short the market or you'll get crushed.

What macro reversal queues should we be looking for in the future? I think many of us feel skeptical of a further bull market right now with questionable fundamentals based on "gut feel", but your track record is great. Analysis is obviously better than gut feel, so where do you see this thing possibly topping at, and what evidence would tip to a bearish outlook?
oldarmy1
AG
I have no idea when (level) it will end. But earnings season hasn't show the cracks thus far. Fund managers money flow hasn't shown anything. A week to 10 days out from the next FOMC would be my watchpoint. A global macro event with lasting ripples would factor in, as would the election. Next triple-witching always a watchpoint on volume.

claym711
AG
FOMC is Monday and Tuesday, though you can bet there won't be a rate hike (not at all-time highs for heavens sake).

I do not believe this is the dawn of a new bull market. I suspect but have no confirmed that much of this rally was foreign cash flow into US markets in the wake of BRExit. Serious structural risks remain, much of which is outside of the FED's control, both fundamentally and technically. It is an extremely fragile market, IMO, and built on the backs of central bankers, hoards of debt, JNK, buy-backs, etc., etc. YOY GAAP earnings certainly don't paint a bull picture. It is no surprise that flash crashes like August 2015, Feb 2016, and June 2016 have occurred, and I suspect will continue to occur.

If you're holding your nose and going long, put in stops.
oldarmy1
AG
Watching GILD for a breakout above $88 this week. Traders set an alarm at $87.75 and be ready to nab calls if breaking $88. Decent gap will get filled up above $96 so Call options have a lot of premium move.

pfo
AG
Hit Diggity! Thanks for your insight on GILD! It's one of my long term positions. Should I add more after it breaks $87.75?

Also oldarmy1, is Twitter a stock to buy and hold for the long haul or is Twitter just a trade for you?
SnowboardAg
AG
I see a little traffic on a fib with the 200day EMA at around 92 (point of confluence). Would you agree with this as a possible exit point, or just curious your thoughts. Fill the whole gap?

larryj41
Randy, thanks for the GILD tip!
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
I see a little traffic on a fib with the 200day EMA at around 92 (point of confluence). Would you agree with this as a possible exit point, or just curious your thoughts. Fill the whole gap?

This is a very good question and the answer is "it depends". If we shoot up quickly from 88 to approach that 92 then your call option will have a valuation pop that I would exit on. Even though I see that gap filing, it would fill "eventually" and time decay could decay the gains or eliminate further appreciation. Remember, I typically hold an option no more than 4 days, so that $92 would be a solid probability on a break out. Pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered. A very successful trader told me a long time ago on options "I got rich selling too soon".

pfo - I'd buy whatever your trade would be and if options follow the above. If stock/shares then sell 50% at $92 and the rest within $0.50 of the gap fill. Use these opportunities to lock in additional profits and further reduce your core holdings price.

TWTR is a long term position build for me. I hold a number of core shares that I might hedge but do not want those shares lost. I have traded options similar to when spotting the KMI breakout to reduce holdings net price and then had extra shares purchased when at lows. Some of those sold at the resistance I was posting last week. I also posted that I thought about selling a covered call on day 3 of hitting that resistance. It would have been a solid trade as the shares dropped quickly from $18.60 to $17.76.

I posted that I did not sell the covered calls because I couldn't tell if the markets would break to new highs. Well the markets broke to new highs but it is crystal clear that the market makers are content to hold it under resistance until earnings Tuesday. And just to remind everyone I will be hedging TWTR by close Tuesday. These younger technology driven shares are susceptible to crazy moves on earnings. When you have a $4/share profit baked in I'll invest $0.25/share to protect my downside. If they beat and it jumps through resistance to $20 is anyone going to care that they made 25 cents per share less? Nope.

oldarmy1
AG
p.s. How you trade GILD just to be clear.

IF entering shares or options then at $88 the minute chart needs to show at least double the previous 5 minute volume so if it trades 60k shares a minute then look for 120k shares on the minute chart when $88 is eclipsed. Once entered a hard stop at $87.20 is targeted, because a breakout should not retrace to last two day closing price.

oldarmy1
AG
quote:
Randy, thanks for the GILD tip!
Apparently you don't need the money since you don't even cash checks I send you!
pfo
AG
WOW! Thanks oldarmy1!!!
SnowboardAg
AG
quote:
This is a very good question and the answer is "it depends". If we shoot up quickly from 88 to approach that 92 then your call option will have a valuation pop that I would exit on. Even though I see that gap filing, it would fill "eventually" and time decay could decay the gains or eliminate further appreciation. Remember, I typically hold an option no more than 4 days, so that $92 would be a solid probability on a break out. Pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered. A very successful trader told me a long time ago on options "I got rich selling too soon".

Thank you oldarmy1! Your time is generous helping others and I greatly appreciate the feedback. I was thinking the same thing - exit 1/2 the position by 92 for capital preservation. I'm assuming you purchase next month options (or less than 45 days) typically?

With that said, let me put one out there that I researched today for consideration.

DKS appears to have some room to run based on the monthly Fibonacci. On Friday, it had a bullish engulfing candle. I typically would consider with a break of Friday's high and volume to confirm. Earnings is mid-August so I would keep my eye on that.

Monthly Chart:

Daily Chart:

Happy to have any feedback!

oldarmy1
AG
Love the chart! I have purposely avoided posting my actual charts because they would read like an alien vision to a lot of people.

DKS is one of those stocks with low volume so I don't look at it but agree with your assessment. It has rested above that gap for EIGHT days. It certainly looks ready to bust a move.

Something I think worth bringing up is this whole wikileaks email situation. Republicans are rightly having a field day with the hypocrisy on full display. That's neither here nor there on an investment board HOWEVER, the stock markets have been factoring in a Hillary victory and while that is still the likely outcome it is not a "done deal". Especially is there is truth to the wikileaks heads comment that there is a round 2 of emails coming that are even more damning than what people are being waded.

All I want to put on the radar is that if some overwhelming, conclusive info were to further put the election in doubt that would be a MACRO change. Markets hate uncertainty and thought they had this one nailed down.
pfo
AG
"Clinton Cash" and "Hillary's America" and the emails are incredibly damning. I'm not sure full blown crooks have ever run America before but the amount of power to use and wealth to steal in such incredibly corrupt hands is very frightening!
oldarmy1
AG
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3991069-sell-gilead-earnings?source=quotemedia_readmore

Seekingalpha has one writer saying sell GILD ahead of earnings and one saying don't. The "don't" writer says to use a hedge option similar to what I've described for other stocks into earnings. At any rate, both articles predict a miss on earnings. If it misses then obviously any trade looking for a breakout above $88 won't happen. If it surprises to the upside it will come out of it's earnings halt higher. Only those with after hours trading would be able to potentially enter a trade. Just an fyi
bmks270
AG
I'd like to focus some attention to the recent moves and volume on SBUX.

Strategy I'm focusing on improving is selling puts on dips and buying them back on a bounce or rolling into next month. Rolled SBUX options the last 3 months did well relatively speaking and exited just before earnings.

Looking to get back in and incorporate some learning from this thread. I see big volume on the 21st and 22nd daily, so I've learned in this thread that is the big players making a move. We see long red candle wick on the 21st but stock closed near the open. On the 22nd a large green candle and huge volume, about double the norm of the past 3 months.

OldArmy, can we consider the price support on the 21st and green volume on the 22nd that SBUX is getting ready to break out higher?

It looks like prior resistance is around $61.

So I am considering buying stock, or finding a put to sell maybe $60 or $59 strike depending on premium, or going with a call option.

I just want to get your take and how would you play this stock and the chart?

First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.