Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,012,940 Views | 231615 Replies | Last: 41 min ago by valvemonkey91
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I got both doses I'm fine. I question this headline and people spreading it around. Sounds like they have it to people that were already a step from death.
Formerly tv1113
oldarmy1
AG
It's that age problem. Waiting for a fix...
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Don't know yet.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
oldarmy1 said:

The first 150 year old has already been born.
Ragoo
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

oldarmy1 said:

honestly I doubt it.
Decay
AG
There's one fix for being old, it's just permanent!
TubTub
Ragoo said:

oldarmy1 said:

honestly I doubt it.
In the past century, the technological advancement in everything has been unlike any other in human history. Everyday life has been made easier and better for many in developed nations, I'll bet on human ingenuity to find a way.
Brewmaster
AG
Ragoo said:

oldarmy1 said:

honestly I doubt it.
the first pessimist has already been born! lol just messing with you bro
Mostly Foggy Recollection
People who want to live 150 years, especially with the overbearing world govts these days, are screwed up in the head.

docaggie
AG
tv1113 said:

Yeah I got both doses I'm fine. I question this headline and people spreading it around. Sounds like they have it to people that were already a step from death.
I could write a similar headline: 50 people died this morning after breakfast. Sounds like their biscuits killed them, when the reality is they died of a variety of things (though you can't rule out the cause of death being a bran muffin - those things like when cardboard meets a baking class).

In Norway, it's 29 people who have died in the days following vaccination. 3/4 were older than 80. Did the immune response push them over the edge? Hard to know, exactly, in someone that frail. If they were that frail that a vaccination kills them, then any infection / immune reaction is likely to do the same thing.

The other reaction is Bell's Palsy, which occurred in 4 patients of the Phase 3 vaccination arm. There wasn't a lot of description I saw about the Israelis, except most patients seemed to say it lasted about a day before resolving.

Severe allergic reactions to the vaccine are running about 11 per million vaccinations.
Class of 1998;
Husband of an Aggie, Class of 1999;
Father to future Class of 2029 and 2031
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ornithopter
AG
oldarmy1 said:

TMB gets a lot of people...

Too Many Birthdays
Ragoo
AG
TubTub said:

Ragoo said:

oldarmy1 said:

honestly I doubt it.
In the past century, the technological advancement in everything has been unlike any other in human history. Everyday life has been made easier and better for many in developed nations, I'll bet on human ingenuity to find a way.
our bodies are in constant state of decay. Medicines can slow it down or heal it to some degree. If anyone gets there it would be pure luck.
trip98
AG
NRD09 said:

trip98 said:

Tda does it for you but I also keep a spreadsheet of all stocks options taxes etc
On tda put cursor on my account then click cost basis and then once there click unrealized gains tab

Does it move your average down every time you sell calls against your shares? I don't think mine does. Actually my td accounts show basis as strike price when i enter via assigned puts (not strike minus premium received). My fidelity acct shows my basis as strike minus premium

When I sell covered calls it does not average down. Even when they expire. They treat that as a separate transaction
Never been assigned puts
However since they treat calls as separate I would assume they treat outs the same.
oldarmy1
AG
Kind of like co-morbidity and Covid.
Brewmaster
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

People who want to live 150 years, especially with the overbearing world govts these days, are screwed up in the head.

exactly, take me to heaven well before then, where stocks only go up and the beer is always cold! oh, and where the bass always bite and are all 10+ pounders!
Post removed:
by user
ProgN
BREwmaster said:

Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

exactly, take me to heaven well before then, where stocks only go up and the beer is always cold! oh, and where the bass always bite and are all 10+ pounders!
You left out beautiful women bruh, heaven has to have beautiful women.
62strat
AG
Ragoo said:

TubTub said:

Ragoo said:

oldarmy1 said:

honestly I doubt it.
our bodies are in constant state of decay. Medicines can slow it down or heal it to some degree. If anyone gets there it would be pure luck.
It has been almost 25 years since the longest living person died, and she was 122 years old.

Interestingly, that length hasn't been obtained since, even with 25 years of medicinal/tech growth.

But realize that it has been almost 150 years since the 122 year old was born, and people being born now. That is a crap load of advancement.
Ragoo
AG
1 in several billion is beyond luck. There have been 100 or so get to 115, but still in several billion that is still 35 years away from 150. The probability is so low that it isn't even worth considering.
cisgenderedAggie
wanderer said:

wanderer said:

I had sold 12 1/15 WWR $5 puts but didn't get assigned on any of them. Only got assigned on my $7.5 puts (obviously).

Able to lower my cost basis to 3.64 considering the $ made from sold calls/puts not called out.
Until recently I was never able to fully wrap my head around the impact of selling calls/puts and how its able to benefit your cost basis so much.

A few weeks back I put together a spreadsheet that I track everything in and makes it easy to visualize (at least for me)

What is SP?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'm agonizing over how to handle GOCO this month. They are almost certain to report Q4 and first full year earnings this month and assuming nothing throws a wrench into the plans we should be in for a treat. Doesn't seem unreasonable we should be able to get back to 20ish IPO price, and I think we'll get some run up into it, so I've run pretty much every scenario I can come up with and think I have a plan, but wonder what you guys think. These are all based on February expiration and B/A at close Friday. FYI, I'm considering doing this for my entire cash position, which is ~40% of my trading account (which is maybe 10% of my retirement). I think I may be responsible and scale it back to 20-25% because it feels like a lot of money and I had the same feelings on PYX and lost a lot of money when they decided to file bk before they reported the earnings when they were supposed to incorporate the previous quarter's deferred rev, so I'm gunshy. Giddy for the day I get invited to join that class action. But I digress. Here are the scenarios:

Buy and hold shares: $15 basis, $20sp is 33% return, upside not limited

Buy shares and sell $15 calls for 1.40. Basis lowered to 13.6, closing stock price above $15 gets shares called away at a 9.3% return
Buy shares and sell $17.5 calls for .65. Basis lowered to 14.35, closing stock price above $17.5 gets shares called away at a 21% return
Buy shares and sell $20 calls for .25. Basis lowered to 14.75, closing stock price above $20 gets shares called away at a 35% return

Sell $15 puts for 1.4 tying up $1500. Basis if assigned is 13.6 or 9.3% return if they expire worthless.
Sell $17.5 puts for 3.1 tying up $1750. Basis if assigned is 13.9 or 17.7% return if they expire worthless.
Sell $20 puts for 5.2 tying up $2000. Basis if assigned is 14.8 or 26% return if the sp flies and they expire worthless.

Buy $15 calls for 1.55, break even at 16.55, these have intrinsic value of $5 if the sp hits $20 for a 322% return
Buy $17.5 calls for .75, break even at 18.25, these have intrinsic value of $2.5 if the sp hits $20 for a 333% return
Buy $20 calls for .35, break even at 20.35, these are earnings lottos.

I don't think I can go wrong with either of the $17.5 strategies (buy shares/sell calls or sell puts) as I'm happy to own shares sub-15, but my FOMO has me leaning toward the put strategy paired with purchasing 17.5 calls to capture upside. This also lets me bank if the stock pulls a 2020 and reports good earnings and gets held below 17.5 through an opex, where straight long calls would get crushed
Of course there's the black swan scenario where they miss hard, tank, and I'm stuck holding shares, which is the only thing keeping me from going all in

Y'all have thoughts on any of this, or thoughts on how to size/allocate?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
A suggested alternative: buy protective puts and leave everything else alone.

Edit: this assumes you have shares today. I would personally buy shares, sell 17.5C and consider buying a protective put
I bleed maroon
AG

A suggested alternative: buy protective puts and leave everything else alone.

Edit: this assumes you have shares today. I would personally buy shares, sell 17.5C and consider buying a protective put
I really like this alternative, which matches my risk profile pretty well.

I'd sell covered calls on half the shares, and buy maybe a $10 or $12.50 put position to protect against your black swan or earnings disaster.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Good call guys, thanks. I do have a pretty good share position currently, maybe 5% or so of my trading portfolio that I've been bagholding a while and am averaged at like 17. Forgot about that. Another thought i had is to buy the shares (and protective puts) at open tue, then wait to see if we get some upward movement to juice the calls before selling them. Really if what we've heard is true, the only thing that might hurt earnings is if this quarter's increased spend gets blown out of proportion/ taken out of the context of increased enrollment. If this is the case i may be cool holding the shares for a quarter, but it does reinforce the need to size appropriately to enable me to average down
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I have half of my GOCO shares against March 17.5C. I'm okay with being assigned and it moves me very close to net free. For the other half, I am doing nothing. I am not planning to buy protective puts because GOCO is 2% of my account value.

To use OA's terminology, if we get to 17.5 by March I'll consider it planted.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Thoughts on Cresco Labs (CRLBG) and NIO.

Was thinking about buying some Tues along with some of the "lotto" EGOC.

Thanks!

$30,000 Millionaire
AG

Here we go!
thirdcoast
AG
cisgenderedAggie

Here we go!

Does this mean stonks only go up?
krosch11
AG
Can you dumb that down for me? Is she saying she's about to turn the spigot off and let the markets make their move?
LatinAggie1997
AG
Translation please.
McInnis 03
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/yellen-prepared-to-affirm-commitment-to-market-determined-dollar-value-11610917212

If she wants a stronger dollar you better be hedged
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
krosch11
AG
That's what I figured . Supply getting decreased . Thanks
Bulldog73
AG
Yahoo ran an article saying another $1400 stimulus is expected in the next week or so.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
It is a return to pre Trump policy where the treasury / fed will not do anything to either intentionally weaken the dollar or raise it, but rather let the market decide.

Dollar strength is created through high interest rates and keeping inflation in check. I don't believe there will be higher than zero rates for a few years and I think we will keep printing, which will make the dollar weaker. Inflation will eventually come.

This should be good for stonks, but we need to see how futures react in a bit.
First Page Last Page
Page 2811 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.