Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,088,901 Views | 224479 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by sts7049
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ragoo said:

krosch11 said:

In TOS it's called MovAvgExponential for EMA.

If he's using daily it's DMA I believe

i misspoke. It is the EMA you posted.

Any chance you could share a screen shot? It seems like it should all for units so I must be looking at it wrong.
AggiePeeps06
AG
Has anybody considered just buying leaps in every pharma stock? Seems like it would pay off with the way one of them skyrockets every other week on positive vaccine or treatment news. This just seems so basic it may be stupid though.
Aston04
AG
Look for ayro to take off tomorrow (already started today)... Joe Biden's comments on replacing govt fleet with electric vehicle pork....

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Serious post: I'm starting to think it is throw in the towel time on expecting the market to have anything more than a trivial 5% pullback. I think we may see ATH before we see 2800 again. The pending gap on MRNA's not great beneath the headline news is my moment of exasperation. Obviously I'll wait to see what happens post OPEX week.
krosch11
AG
Click on the chart and follow the screen shot instructions . Set the length for the time periods you want (8,21,50,200 etc) )

If you are on desktop click on my profile and look at my posts. I posted the desktop link earlier . Hope this helps

khaos288
AG
Oh I see how it works. You set that and then whatever interval chart you're looking at it sets the lines for 8, 21, 50, and 200 that you have set.

So you can't set 8 day moving average on the 5m chart basically.

Thanks for the help.
Brewmaster
AG
a lot hinges on the next couple days... if we blow past 323, it will be buy buy buy and we'll rocket.to 3400. If we lag and chop around 321, 322, things could get interesting.

and this, for Irish...

Betoisafurry
Thanks for sharing. I primarily use fidelity, but have a small TOS account I just started playing around with
krosch11
AG
Happy to help. I've only been using it for about 7 months based on Prog's recommendation but I like it. It's very capable still have lots to learn about its applications .

leoj
AG
I think there must be a way but I haven't found it, I need to look harder. Would be really handy to see daily ma's on intraday time interval chart.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Thank you for that! I love learning this stuff
McInnis 03
AG
FOR IRISH!!!!
Brewmaster
AG
McInnis 03 said:

FOR IRISH!!!!

and, in response to "You're a madman, aren't you?"
aggiedaniel06
AG
Price action by design is meant to lie to you. The big boys want you to think the opposite of what they are doing.

How many people sold in February or October 2018? Price action both times was very bullish. But in February Covid was looming and in 2018 Fed was tightening. There was clear money outflow in both cases, weeks in advance.

Conversely how many bought in March or December 2018? In March, 3 trillion cash infusion into the market. On Christmas eve 2018, JPow met with the CEO's of the big banks and offered them the Olive branch to end QT and cut rates again.

The world of IB is filled with sociopaths. All the best traders I know are. No empathy whatsoever and lie about everything. Remember Bill Ackman pleading on CNBC?

Support/resistance levels, TA, etc... pro traders are aware that retail knows all these things. The way to be successful trading long term is to trade small positions and take small losses often, oh and be an emotionless sociopath!
McInnis 03
AG
Quote:

The 5 Fundamental Truths of Trading:

1. Anything can happen.

2. You don't need to know what is going to happen next to make money.

3. There is a random distribution between wins and losses for any given set of
variables that define an edge.

4. An edge is nothing more than an indication of a higher probability of one thing
happening over another.

5. Every moment in the market is unique.

The 7 Principles of Consistency:

1. I objectively identify my edges.

2. I predefine the risk of every trade.

3. I completely accept the risk or I am willing to let go of the trade.

4. I act on my edges without reservation or hesitation.

5. I pay myself as the market makes money available to me.

6. I continually monitor my susceptibility for making errors.

7. I understand the absolute necessity of these principles of consistent success
and, therefore, I never violate them.

"Trading in the Zone" - Mark Douglas

Just read this book. I wouldn't recommend it, it's too foo foo mind magic **** (as I call it) but he's not wrong here.
khaos288
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

The way to be successful trading long term is to trade small positions and take small losses often, oh and be an emotionless sociopath!
I'm 2/3rd of the way there!
aggiedaniel06
AG
I've read it many years ago.

The difference between trading and betting on horses is that you as a participant affect the market. Let's say you do hours of really accurate TA and identify that a stock is at clear support, and showing all the right MA's and decide that the setup is perfect and dive in big. All it takes is for Blackrock to dump a million shares to throw a wrench in your plans.

aggiedaniel06
AG
Well, you must be a whale then!
McInnis 03
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

I've read it many years ago.

The difference between trading and betting on horses is that you as a participant affect the market. Let's say you do hours of really accurate TA and identify that a stock is at clear support, and showing all the right MA's and decide that the setup is perfect and dive in big. All it takes is for Blackrock to dump a million shares to throw a wrench in your plans.

When he describes the old grain pit trader who relegates himself to an office and hires a hotshot analyst to teach him TA and drops the "old: so you say this is where the price can't drop further, this is support? Hotshot: yup, this is support, price will bounce!! Old: THAT'S BULL***** (picks up phone, orders a sell off 10k bushels) hotshot: ......price just dropped 10 more cents...."

I chuckled HARD
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I hope so. I've held bear thesis for a long time and it just seems the bull train cannot be stopped, or rather, will not be allowed to stop.
McInnis 03
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I hope so. I've held bear thesis for a long time and it just seems the bull train cannot be stopped, or rather, will not be allowed to stop.

Welcome to the club.

I keep hedging, but I keep having to reset them on dips and rips.
Bird Poo
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

Price action by design is meant to lie to you. The big boys want you to think the opposite of what they are doing.

How many people sold in February or October 2018? Price action both times was very bullish. But in February Covid was looming and in 2018 Fed was tightening. There was clear money outflow in both cases, weeks in advance.

Conversely how many bought in March or December 2018? In March, 3 trillion cash infusion into the market. On Christmas eve 2018, JPow met with the CEO's of the big banks and offered them the Olive branch to end QT and cut rates again.

The world of IB is filled with sociopaths. All the best traders I know are. No empathy whatsoever and lie about everything. Remember Bill Ackman pleading on CNBC?

Support/resistance levels, TA, etc... pro traders are aware that retail knows all these things. The way to be successful trading long term is to trade small positions and take small losses often, oh and be an emotionless sociopath!

I understand and agree with you, but what are you thinking is the opposite of the price action at this time?
AgsnFly
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

Finally hearing some thoughts from a like minded trader here. Thanks man
AgsnFly
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Quote:

The 5 Fundamental Truths of Trading:

1. Anything can happen.

2. You don't need to know what is going to happen next to make money.

3. There is a random distribution between wins and losses for any given set of
variables that define an edge.

4. An edge is nothing more than an indication of a higher probability of one thing
happening over another.

5. Every moment in the market is unique.

The 7 Principles of Consistency:

1. I objectively identify my edges.

2. I predefine the risk of every trade.

3. I completely accept the risk or I am willing to let go of the trade.

4. I act on my edges without reservation or hesitation.

5. I pay myself as the market makes money available to me.

6. I continually monitor my susceptibility for making errors.

7. I understand the absolute necessity of these principles of consistent success
and, therefore, I never violate them.

"Trading in the Zone" - Mark Douglas

Just read this book. I wouldn't recommend it, it's too foo foo mind magic **** (as I call it) but he's not wrong here.

Haven't read but one of the first trading books I read in the mid 90s was by Mark Douglas called "The Disciplined Trader". Not an easy read but have perused it many times over the decades. Not sure if my extreme discipline is from that or just innate; doesn't matter now.
Proposition Joe
Well to be fair with parimutuel horse racing you can do all the research and decide the setup is perfect and dive in big and all it takes is a Blackrock-esque whale to do the same and suddenly your payout is pennies... So there's still participants affecting the market.

And non-parimutuel... well lets just say at least during my time you could affect the market if you knew the right people
Rice and Fries
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/do-options-traders-know-something-about-abbvie-abbv-stock-we-dont-2020-07-14

Apparently, some Israeli bioengineer found a way to stop corona with an existing FDA drug called tricor. Which is owned by ABBV...

Edit: Website is in Hebrew

https://www.israelhayom.co.il/article/780911
aggiedaniel06
AG
Hah trading oil futures will teach you that quick. I knew waiting wasn't an option as my home was never big enough to take physical delivery of a few million barrels!
khaos288
AG
Rice and Fries said:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/do-options-traders-know-something-about-abbvie-abbv-stock-we-dont-2020-07-14

Apparently, some Israeli bioengineer found a way to stop corona with an existing FDA drug called tricor. Which is owned by ABBV...

Edit: Website is in Hebrew

https://www.israelhayom.co.il/article/780911

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/coronavirus/1594747958-study-fda-approved-drug-may-reduce-covid-19-to-common-cold
AgsnFly
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

Hah trading oil futures will teach you that quick. I knew waiting wasn't an option as my home was never big enough to take physical delivery of a few million barrels!

One of my favorite commodities to trade these past 20 years. Good times.
59 South
AG
Love the insight and agree with almost all of it. Some very true stuff posted, but I do want to add a little perspective. And I'm not trying to get into a debate 2.0. Just want to add to the conversation...

Of course the big boys play tricks with price action. That's why you have to be emotionless and wait for signals to confirm. Nobody is ever going to nail entries and exits but you can use the tape in front of you manage a portfolio better than a buy index funds and hold forever approach.

You have to break down the price action of past events and learn from them but also know that they will never be exactly the same. When those things trigger and confirm it tells you whether to lean more defensive or more aggressive.

October 2018: Oct 5 signals to get careful and watch for continuation or follow through. Oct 10 confirms emphatically with volume. Multi month trendline is broken. That candle is not overcome until April 2019. Extended bear flag follows through November and capitulation ensues the whole month of December with relentless selling before reversal.

May 2019 - Mid Oct 2019: Lots of tricky price action fake outs specifically in May. An active trader's market last summer for sure with lots of misdirection. But if you look at overall trend, higher highs and higher lows.

February 2020: Feb 24 clear signal to get careful. Immediate clear follow through on 2/25 in a big way with volume. ALL active traders (smart retail not gamblers) got out here. I was not active at this time as we've already beat that horse to death. But I did have cash set aside that I put to work once things got more constructive post bottom.

June 11: Huge price action trick that did not follow through. Was way more active here. This one had me on my toes big time, but it never followed through. SPY 300 held. 50 EMA held. 8 never crossed over the 21 indicating lost shorter term momentum. In hindsight, this was just an overbought mini meltup correction (for now). SPY 300 was retested late June, 50 still held, 8 & 21 were both quickly reclaimed. The bottom was a little higher. So here we are with mid 2020 looking a lot like mid 2019 with clear price levels through the choppiness. SPY 280 - 302 is now SPY 300 - 323.

Yes big money deceives with price action FACT. BUT they cannot hide volume especially when selling. If you go look at the red candle daily volumes from the October '18 and February '20 triggers, they are about double the red candles through the middle of 2019. OA was posting a lot more teachings on here throughout 2018-19, and he was dissecting all of this price action real time, and he darn near nailed it repeatedly. I learned a ton though all that and was not very active. I was just soaking it all in.

Hope this doesn't come off as ranting or attacking....not meant to be, just healthy debate.

59 South
AG
These are good. I'll add a few that I've learned from others (mentors, family, etc)...not all about markets or trading in general but can be applied for sure...mostly when controlling your emotions while trading...

-The people with the most money usually aren't the smartest. They're just the ones who were willing to accept the risk and put up with the BS. (my personal favorite)

-Don't ever believe that you have all the answers. Nobody does. If you do, you will be proven wrong in due course.

-There are smart people, dumb people and everything in between. There is something to learn from all of them.

-For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

-Always be aware of your inherent biases, and strive not to let them influence your decisions.

-Never make critical decisions when you're in an extreme emotional state whether that be depressed, raging mad, or euphorically happy.

Also just want to add... you can be emotionless without being a sociopath!

Ok enough with the cheesiness... I should probably just stay over on the longer term thread, but I just can't quit you guys. Really wish I could have a beer with some of you and solve all the world's problems...

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
McInnis 03 said:

jsap said:

McInnis 03 said:

CRWD is on my radar as well. I'm consistently looking for daily charts that have been on the uptrend for awhile but have pulled back to the 8-21 day EMA. Well, CRWD has gone even harder, and has now 3 inside bars in a row on the hourly. That's quite a bit of consolidation.

EDIT: And like that I get into a few 101/102 call spreads for this week at .57
How do you setup call spread? Buy to open 101p and 102c?
If I am expecting an upwards move there are a few ways to do it, but in this situation I"m "buying" debit spreads.

I buy the 101C and sell the 102C. This caps my gain at the difference in the strikes, meaning I can make $1 ($100) per contract assuming the price is above 102 at expiration. Or if the stock makes a good move for me early I can close the spread by selling the 101C and buying to cover the 102C.

Thanks for the explanation, i'm going to do one of these. Maybe on nio too. One question on closing it out early... would you do that as soon as the lower one goes itm, or maybe right before, to maximize profit? Seems like that would maximize premium on the lower strike, but the upper one would still be a buck otm and maybe have less premium? Would be easy to set these up as conditional orders...
Carlo4
AG
SPX back at the "high" to test it yet again.
McInnis 03
AG
Riley, thoughts ?

corndog04
AG
Updated YoY TSA passenger counts. Pretty sharp down tick compared to trend yesterday.

First Page Last Page
Page 1889 of 6414

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.