Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,077,314 Views | 224428 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by El_duderino
Aggies1322
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How much should I care that a stock that is down in after hours trading? Like how much does it affect trading in the next few days?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Depends. Was there PR? Was it done with little volume? Was there a bunch of dumping at the end? Too many unknowns to answer your question
OasisMan
AG
McInnis 03 said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

I like to sell covered calls, I don't sell calls or puts if I don't own the underlying securities.

I can't sell naked calls because I trade in an ira, but selling cash secured puts in this market has been my greatest play lately
I've been doing 'the wheel'
Aggies1322
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Depends. Was there PR? Was it done with little volume? Was there a bunch of dumping at the end? Too many unknowns to answer your question

Looks like it was holding steady and dumped similarly to the S&P futures. Its AMD btw.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Ignore it
Baby Billy
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

In my non expert opinion, we will revisit 270's or a ~50% retracement from here to last through the summer. Too many gains and too much dumb money flooding in for a 3 day retracement.

We could still have a blow off top but I'm not gonna risk it.

Not a chance
Aggies1322
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Ignore it

Thanks
gougler08
AG
McInnis 03 said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

I like to sell covered calls, I don't sell calls or puts if I don't own the underlying securities.

I can't sell naked calls because I trade in an ira, but selling cash secured puts in this market has been my greatest play lately

Selling puts has netted me some great entry points on SDC, ERI, RUBI and others, but has also capped my gains more than I'd like in some cases (CCL and OVV). I am trying to balance now between selling calls and just buying shares to find what I hope is a good balance
Cartographer
ONTX has cancer drugs in phase 3 that should have results in the next 6 months.

Might be getting a fast track or some other designation. It's one of the quieter bio stocks I have seen but as noted, it just keeps chugging along.
reedsterg
AG
OverSeas AG said:

So some rules I have for stop losses.

On stocks that I am day trading/swing trading:

• If stock price is $50 or less, my max loss is 1% of stock price. So a $50 stock has a stop loss of 49.50 for the stop loss.
  • If stock is $50.01 to $200, my max loss is $.50. So a $100 stock has a stop loss of $99.50. A $198 stock has a stop loss of $197.50
  • If stock is a $200+ my max loss is $1.00. So a $250 stock has a stop loss of $249.50.

As soon as I buy the stock, I immediately put in an OCO order for my Limit and my Stop Loss. Then I leave it. If I stop out, I am generally done for the day on that stock to keep my from chasing. IT makes things very mechanical for me. I do pretty well on my stock trading and am up fairly decently on that.

Options are a different story. I tried a similar approach with options, but was getting stopped out almost all the time b/c they are so volatile. Then I tried a more 'laissez-faire' approach shall we say... hands off. And watched several things ride to zero while living on Hope they would miraculously recover. Well hope is not a good strategy as they say and as my account discovered.

So now I have been doing a more successful approach for me.
1) when I get a nice profit, I do not bemoan the fact I could have gotten more. I might learn from it, but I do not... play what if. I made a profit.
2) I have been trying to follow the flow a lot more. If I see it, I check my chart. If it seems I am on an uptrend I will buy. If the trend is already having a good run, I will wait until there is a reversal and the get in on the next uptrend once it confirms. Much better at getting my entries this way.
3) On my exits I need to work on this much better. But again I watch the trends. If I see a reversal, I start watching closely at volumes, RSI, etc. I start switching between the 1 min, 5 min and 10 min charts. If I see 5 to 10 min of red, and the stock seems oversold, I am going to sell. If I see 5 to 10 min of reversal but the stock is not oversold, and flow still seems good, I will hold.
4) for both entries and exits I have been trying to figure out my levels and looking at what others are saying to confirm my own. Getting better here. So for both 2 and 3, I am watching levels to help me determine if I think I need to buy or sell.

That is my process. It needs work and is rough, but has been working for the last three weeks. After today I am up nearly $12k over the last three weeks. $4k is options and the rest is stock.

I still struggle with emotion on when to sell if I see my options drop... Especially if they all drop at once. Some times I have diamond hands, and sometimes I have tissue hands. However the more I follow my process, the more confidence I am getting it works, the more comfortable I am if things go red for a while.

Hope the helps someone.

I don't use stops and limits like I should, but aren't there ways you can still potentially get screwed after hours or get your shares hijacked? Also, can someone explain what scenario to use Limit, Stop, or Stop Limit with buys and sells? Thanks!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Ya can set your limits to market hours only
lead
This is nuts:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HflVng6sYIb6Gs4pOKiDGtqU5YJ2-hgdM4pRNaT62gs/htmlview#gid=1052727546
E
AG
Hopefully NIO will make it on that list soon
texagbeliever
If history is an indication of the past I much prefer red nights to green ones.
TheBiggerEvent
AG
TSN...
Bob Knights Paper Hands
TheBiggerEvent said:

TSN...

So TSN is still at the top of or above the box it broke out of, however with poltrygate getting kicked up I can imagine lots of continued negative news stories.

From a technical only perspective, all of the information is already baked in, but could this be a sell the news moment where it's time to abandon the calls earlier than we normally would have?
EVA3
AG
Question for the board:

I'm reading John Carter's book. In the first setup he discusses (trading the opening gap) he says he only trades when the gap is at least 10 YM points or 1 ES point. I know this is a reference to his trading of E-mini S&P futures and mini-sized Dow futures contracts but I don't know how this translates to other stocks and ETFs. For example, how big of a gap should I be looking for if I want to trade this setup on the SPY?
EVA3
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

TheBiggerEvent said:

TSN...

So TSN is still at the top of or above the box it broke out of, however with poltrygate getting kicked up I can imagine lots of continued negative news stories.

From a technical only perspective, all of the information is already baked in, but could this be a sell the news moment where it's time to abandon the calls earlier than we normally would have?
Yeah I don't know either. I'm in TSN too, but in July 17 62.5 C. I'm down 32%.
CPDAggie10
AG
I'm in on the TSN calls also and want to know what everyone is thinking. Time to cut bait?
TXAG14
Prognightmare said:

Shorts are about to get slaughtered.

IrishTxAggie
AG
gougler08 said:

Carlo4 said:

S&P futures at 3166 right now. That's at the entry point they are recommending based on the theory. Let's see how it holds up.

I'm targeting gap fill at 313

Touched it right away at 3AM. Let's see if she comes back up. Think this was needed. If we can't hold this, another gap fill could be on deck at 308.2
tam2002
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

gougler08 said:

Carlo4 said:

S&P futures at 3166 right now. That's at the entry point they are recommending based on the theory. Let's see how it holds up.

Touched it right away at 3AM. Let's see if she comes back up. Think this was needed. If we can't hold this, another gap fill could be on deck at 308.2

Walrus guy on Twitter who has been about as close to right as anyone through all this called us hitting this level overnight and thinks the next stop is 3380. Gonna be interesting to see if he's right.

Either way it looks like I'll finally get a chance to do a little buying this morning for some long positions potentially
oldarmy1
AG
Guess who got to buy a wad of SPY shares against those 100 $310 Puts.

We gap filled with overrun flash for entry. I'm hoping for a Model T move into the open for selling 25% but going to sell covered calls out to match the July put spreads for some real coin on the remainder.
McInnis 03
AG
EVA3 said:

Question for the board:

I'm reading John Carter's book. In the first setup he discusses (trading the opening gap) he says he only trades when the gap is at least 10 YM points or 1 ES point. I know this is a reference to his trading of E-mini S&P futures and mini-sized Dow futures contracts but I don't know how this translates to other stocks and ETFs. For example, how big of a gap should I be looking for if I want to trade this setup on the SPY?

I do believe 1 ES point is .1 SPY points but in this market there isn't much issue with playing .5 gap fills. It is definitely still qualified with volume but I think you have to bump up what he's described a little. He mentions 50k es contracts as the benchmark from 7-8:20a but I've been extending the numbers a little and it's been ok
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
59 South
AG
Thought I'd share my macro chart (SPY) that I keep up with almost daily. Hope you guys find it useful. I wish I was able to post more, but just have too much going on. Maybe some day...

When tempted for overreactions or emotional decisions, this usually keeps things in perspective. Doing this was a huge boost to my buy/sell/hold decision making along with mental health. When I saw so many green bars in a row, I actually wanted a pull back. 313 or 308 would be welcomed and if held, shows signs of a strong market moving forward. Get below and close below that, then there's new levels to watch and maybe decisions to be made. All part of the target of emotionless technical trading and decision making which is rarely achieved. I know I'm not there yet.

Edit to add another thought that can be applied to most all equities: It's all primarily about clearly defined channels and levels. It's not hard. All those technical analysis tools really just go back to channels and levels being broken one way or another. It all has a supply/demand backbone to it. Add volume profiles to defined channels and levels, and it becomes magic. I really like the TrendSpider stuff on Twitter. Brilliant.

59 South
AG
This was too good not to share. The best Model T 50% retrace example I've ever seen.

NIO 1 minute chart yesterday at the open. The long green tail confirmed buy at 6.35 with sell set at 6.61. 4% stock gain or a double in weekly $7 calls in 6 minutes. I just happened to be watching closely and "paper traded" it.

McInnis 03
AG
Thanks! Good stuff
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
gougler08
AG
HEXO up big after earnings this morning
Rice and Fries
Futures down 2 percent.....
gougler08
AG
59 South said:

Thought I'd share my macro chart (SPY) that I keep up with almost daily. Hope you guys find it useful. I wish I was able to post more, but just have too much going on. Maybe some day...

When tempted for overreactions or emotional decisions, this usually keeps things in perspective. Doing this was a huge boost to my buy/sell/hold decision making along with mental health. When I saw so many green bars in a row, I actually wanted a pull back. 313 or 308 would be welcomed and if held, shows signs of a strong market moving forward. Get below and close below that, then there's new levels to watch and maybe decisions to be made. All part of the target of emotionless technical trading and decision making which is rarely achieved. I know I'm not there yet.

Edit to add another thought that can be applied to most all equities: It's all primarily about clearly defined channels and levels. It's not hard. All those technical analysis tools really just go back to channels and levels being broken one way or another. It all has a supply/demand backbone to it. Add volume profiles to defined channels and levels, and it becomes magic. I really like the TrendSpider stuff on Twitter. Brilliant.

Like the graph with the gap call outs...didn't realize we had left so many on the way up so could definitely see us retesting at least down to 308 but maybe 295 soon as well
Boat Shoes
AG
gougler08 said:

HEXO up big after earnings this morning

Wonder how far it can run.
gougler08
AG
I'm going to cost down on MOMO if it flashes to $19
Carlo4
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

gougler08 said:

Carlo4 said:

Went ahead and sold my 50 shares of TVIX for a nice 26 a share gain since yesterday. Back to work full time so out of that.

I'm with you on watching some stocks for a re-entry for long position but waiting to see if these gaps fill down.
McInnis 03
AG
AgEng06 said:

McInnis 03 said:

AgEng06 said:

So for us amateur traders... is there a good guideline we can use to determine when to get in/out of a trade? (I know this has been asked a lot, but there is never a complete answer.)

We have some posters saying there is still time on XXX, so wait it out. And some saying, if you're down over 50% cut your losses and get out. I know it's a personal decision, but a general guideline would be helpful until each of us can develop our own strategy.

Any thoughts?

Exit strategies are what make the difference in winning traders and losing traders. Having targets and stops are what protect you to having small losses and letting winners run.

This isn't a pinpoint answer but your goal should be to develop rules that help you identify targets and protective stops
Absolutely, I get that.

So what are yours?
Just thought of another one. When the $PCALL 10 day sma crossed below .75 I bought a -30 delta SPY PUT 90 days out (299, but I rolled it to a 295 yesterday due to OI) and my exit is a target of 200% return OR when the 10 day sma of $PCALL goes to .80

B&I Key:
TChaney
First Page Last Page
Page 1729 of 6413

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.