Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,980,184 Views | 224071 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by ProgN
tailgatetimer10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So.

Nobody want to talk about ONTX up 30% AH???
Mr President Elect
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

IrishTxAggie said:

stxag8 said:

maroon19 said:

So if I have BAC 6/19 calls, I should probably take the L and sell them right?
Diamond hands on mine, at least until next week
At this point, if you're already down ~70%, may as well make a YOLO play for next week.

And this is how accounts get blown up. I speak from experience. If you've held a loser past -50%, you set yourself up for failure IMO. It's not smart trading
I'm assuming most people here are not putting all their eggs in one basket and can live with an option expiring worthless on occasion.
I think I have a few too many baskets, about 50
I can't even panic sell if I wanted to. I pretty much just have a huge collection of everything that gets thrown against the wall in here. Kind of like a texags dartboard options fund.

On the birght side, it has done superb!
Bird Poo
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

So.

Holding 45K shares here. Let's gooooooooo!
topher06
Are retail traders driving the pullbacks on all of their favorite stocks (every oil penny stock, airlines, Nikola, etc), or are they just losing their ass on the massive pullbacks recently?
Mr President Elect
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

So.

Lots of volume too
ProgN
leoj said:

This could be the next big one in the cloud/tech space

I had to pull this in from the "funny tweet thread". Look at the Nasdaq sign in the back during a protest. God does have a sense of humor.
ProgN
willjohnathan said:

IrishTxAggie said:

stxag8 said:

maroon19 said:

At this point, if you're already down ~70%, may as well make a YOLO play for next week.

And this is how accounts get blown up. I speak from experience. If you've held a loser past -50%, you set yourself up for failure IMO. It's not smart trading
I'm assuming most people here are not putting all their eggs in one basket and can live with an option expiring worthless on occasion.
I can't even panic sell if I wanted to. I pretty much just have a huge collection of everything that gets thrown against the wall in here. Kind of like a texags dartboard options fund.

It would be cool if you could post a spreadsheet of that with dates and returns. You don't have to include amount invested.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
AgEng06 said:

Yep, I get it. I watch/read everything in this thread and will probably get Carter's book soon.

But you're kind of making my point... No one will just give a general guideline, but they will tell people when they have done wrong. How is that supposed to be used to learn?
I will tell you what I do, if it's helpful for you. You all can judge me!

Regular stocks/bonds/funds (80% of my investing)

• Long positions I believe in - leave alone and wait. Wait can be a long time. Buy more if it declines
  • Long positions I have reached target price on - evaluate keep or sell; perhaps sell part
  • Long positions I have lost confidence in - dump immediately, opportunity cost matters

Swing / trend trades (majority of my short term trading)

• Entering - I enter a position when I see momentum building and I set a drawdown plan where I sell in 20-25% increments as I reach targets.
  • Exiting - I set a sell plan and sell in 20-25% increments as the swing moves
  • Loss management - I normally set stop losses that can be -1% or -2%. Once a position enters profit, I set the stop loss to original investment. This is how I have not lost my ass trying to be short on SPX/NDX
  • I try to stick to indexes or sector ETFs. Sometimes I will use 2X or 3X, but those are very short term instruments
  • I like not having to worry about premiums and time; downside is your loss can be unmitigated, so you must watch closely. Also less volatile and aligns with what I have time for

Options (I don't consider myself a pro and I don't have time for this often, so I normally use these purely as hedges)

• Covered calls - you have to risk assignment. I will occasionally buy to close if I can get away with it (and then resell). I try to get maximum premium. it's important to pick these stocks carefully.
  • what you all call lotto plays - I will gamble on these and if they're not expensive, I normally cut bait quickly, but sometimes let expire worthless if it's a short time horizon and its just for fun
  • Normal calls / puts - I normally buy further out to avoid accelerated decay if its economical so that there is time on your side. Premiums are higher obviously. I have a first phase and second phase target in mind up and down. When I decide it's a loser, I'll cut it. When in profit, I will try to get net free. Something I do that sometimes pays off and is sometimes stupid is I will wait to see what happens if I get down big and still have enough time (more than a week). Within a week, I cut quickly, certainly at 50%. Sometimes I also wait too long (or just the right amount of time)
  • Hedges - I will sometimes buy counter positions when I feel it's appropriate. Normally I buy very short expiration with low premium and I will sometimes willingly let these expire worthless. Example of having a SPY 325C with a far out expiry in a volatile time and buying a near-term 310P put to offset
  • Price/quantity - I am super careful not to over expose myself. I only buy options if I am willing to accept losing the entire premium. I try not to, but I only risk money I am OK with losing. I don't sell naked calls or puts.
  • More advanced stuff - the folks here are superior entities to me

Talon2DSO
AG
Whoever picked up those TSLA calls, wow!
AgEng06
AG
Thank you for that, I really do appreciate it.
Bird Poo
AG

• I don't sell naked calls or puts.

• I've closed positions on calls to take advantage of the premium. Can you explain how you don't sell? How does this work?

Obviously I'm unfamiliar with different ways to take advantage of options.
    ClutchCityAg
    Was coming here to post this! Yeehaw
    $30,000 Millionaire
    AG
    I like to sell covered calls, I don't sell calls or puts if I don't own the underlying securities.
    Mr President Elect
    AG
    Prognightmare said:

willjohnathan said:

IrishTxAggie said:

stxag8 said:

maroon19 said:

It would be cool if you could post a spreadsheet of that with dates and returns. You don't have to include amount invested.
    I'll post it over the weekend, should have time to put that together.
    OverSeas AG
    AG
    Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
    I bleed maroon
    AG
    My approach is eerily similar to $30k Millionaire.

My main investing malfunction is that I have way too many holdings to really actively manage. I have over 100 positions in multiple accounts (one IRA, one after-tax, and one trading account). No one should ever have that many - I'm basically managing a couple mutual funds worth of positions. I clear out the chaff at times, but it's soon replaced by something shiny and new. I'd prefer having no more than 10 positions in each account, but it's tough to winnow it down due to either the realities of capital gains tax or simply FOMO on future upside.
    oldarmy1
    AG
    tailgatetimer10 said:

So.

Cancelled a proposed reverse split. You know what they're thinking.....
    ProgN
    I bleed maroon said:

My approach is eerily similar to $30k Millionaire.

My main investing malfunction is that I have way too many holdings to really actively manage. I have over 100 positions in multiple accounts (one IRA, one after-tax, and one trading account). No one should ever have that many - I'm basically managing a couple mutual funds worth of positions. I clear out the chaff at times, but it's soon replaced by something shiny and new. I'd prefer having no more than 10 positions in each account, but it's tough to winnow it down due to either the realities of capital gains tax or simply FOMO on future upside.
    FWIW, I have a friend on TexAgs, who reads this thread but doesn't comment hardly at all, that buys companies that he really likes and basically holds them forever. The only caveat is that when a position grows over, it's either 5% or 7% of the total portfolio, he then sells enough to bring it below that threshold. He then waits until a new opportunity to present itself and will use the profits to take a new position. I don't know the amounts but I know he's very successful and no, I will not name him.
    Square Pair
    AG
    No. What?
    Brewmaster
    AG
    Talon2DSO said:

Whoever picked up those TSLA calls, wow!
    I've been in TSLA spreads... I sell when it rips to a new fib level, then roll forward into a further out expiration. I'm net free now on the lone spread I'm in

bought a couple SPY puts near close today, red day tomorrow coming, but after that all time highs baby!
    Brewmaster
    AG
    won't need R/S b/c the stock is rocketing upward, maybe also they're sitting on big data release soon.
    Bird Poo
    AG
    oldarmy1 said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

So.

Cancelled a proposed reverse split. You know what they're thinking.....
    Wondering why it was even proposed since they're supposed to have enough cash on hand until mid 2021....
    I bleed maroon
    AG
    Yes - that's very similar to me, as well. I remember when I got a position that was over $3000, then $5000, it made me want to diversify. Then $10k. I think 10% of the particular portfolio any holding is in is where I currently have discomfort. My AMZN is nearing that in my IRA, but I am not ready to sell any - I buy puts on AMZN in my trading account to partially reduce any short term volatility (I have a few, now, and I'm perfectly fine with a scenario where they expire worthless).
    Charismatic Megafauna
    AG
    Buyout pending
    IrishTxAggie
    AG
    Delisting isn't up to them if they fall out of listing compliance. R/s would put them back in good favor
    IrishTxAggie
    AG
    Carlo4
    AG
    S&P futures at 3166 right now. That's at the entry point they are recommending based on the theory. Let's see how it holds up.
    gougler08
    AG
    NRD09 said:

Buyout pending

Guess I'll keep my last 10k shares and see how this goes.
    gougler08
    AG
    Carlo4 said:

S&P futures at 3166 right now. That's at the entry point they are recommending based on the theory. Let's see how it holds up.

I'm targeting gap fill at 313
    IrishTxAggie
    AG
    That's where I think we're headed too
    $30,000 Millionaire
    AG
    IrishTxAggie said:

all I can say is hell yeah.
    texagbeliever
    IrishTxAggie said:

Is this like your we are going to close up today intuition?
    IrishTxAggie
    AG
    This is my "it's not healthy to have these run-ups without some support testing" intuition
    McInnis 03
    AG

I like to sell covered calls, I don't sell calls or puts if I don't own the underlying securities.

I can't sell naked calls because I trade in an ira, but selling cash secured puts in this market has been my greatest play lately
    ***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
    ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
    ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
    R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
    TxAG#2011
    In my non expert opinion, we will revisit 270's or a ~50% retracement from here to last through the summer. Too many gains and too much dumb money flooding in for a 3 day retracement.

We could still have a blow off top but I'm not gonna risk it.

First Page Last Page
    Page 1728 of 6403

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.