Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,112,770 Views | 224618 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Heineken-Ashi
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Universal Studios targeting June 5 to re-open in Orlando...gotta think Disneyworld will be similar right?
McInnis 03
AG
So I'm finally getting the hang of using TOS to scan and find setups.

Anyone have any goto setups that they've learned that have nice probabilities that they've learned to play off of?

I'm starting with stocks with decent volume, good market cap, and priced above $5 per share.

Next, I'm looking for stocks trading with bollinger bands inside the keltner channels, indicating kind of a coiling effect on both the day candle, and also within the hour candle in that day. Basically I want something that's indicating explosive movement is coming.

Finally, also looking for ones trading above their daily 34ema and weekly 21ema and 8ema. Finally 4% above their 200day and 1% above their 55day ema. These would indicate bullish behavior.

With this criterion I'm trying to find something that's about to move up in a strong way prior to the move occurring (yes I'm trying to predict a move).

What do you use to scan and how do you play off of it?
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
Ragoo
AG
How are you scanning?
McInnis 03
AG
Ragoo said:

How are you scanning?
With the Think or Swim platform.

My only issue at this point is finding ways to bring up results that have high volumes in the options (ie: good liquidity).

Here is a current list of results from today.

ABT, APTO, BLDP, BTG, BX, EQT, HEAR, HUM, SMAR, and SPTN.

You can see waht kind of charts I'm finding with this. Coiled up mofo's!
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
EVA3
AG
How does one go about doing this? I'm on thinkorswim also.
AGSmith
AG
Sorry still pretty new here. What is TOS?
Pignorant
AG
The Other Site
jtmoney03
AG
AGSmith said:

24/7 has a Stock Market thread as well, where we bring some of their numbers and thoughts over here
Ragoo
AG
AGSmith said:

TD Ameritrade Think or Swim trading platform
leoj
AG
AGSmith said:

Think or Swim, it is TD Ameritrade's trading platform

EVA, in ToS you would go to the "scan" tab and are able to enter studies and stock characteristics or fundamentals to filter out results.
Ragoo
AG
What is your scan set up?

EVA3
AG
Thanks!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
PoopyPullup said:

looks like a crwd competitor...no thanks! I do think I'm going to pick up some crwd calls soon to catch earnings runup though
So far so good...
put my BJ proceeds (prematurely...ugh/lol) into a 6/5 100c and up 25% so far
cptthunder
Might be a bold first post on my part but Ive been following this thread and following some of these plays just on the stock side as i learn to understand and trade options on paper at this point
My question is related to the talk on Darvas Box box formations and wanted to see what if i was looking at GRMN correctly as just breaking out of the box?

Thanks for all the amazing knowledge that is being passed through this board
jbeck3487
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Ragoo said:

How are you scanning?
With the Think or Swim platform.

My only issue at this point is finding ways to bring up results that have high volumes in the options (ie: good liquidity).

Here is a current list of results from today.

ABT, APTO, BLDP, BTG, BX, EQT, HEAR, HUM, SMAR, and SPTN.

You can see waht kind of charts I'm finding with this. Coiled up mofo's!
So you're saying there's a chance?
AGSmith
AG
Is Think or Swim TD's version of ActiveTrader Pro?
Ragoo
AG
Yes
tam2002
AG
Trump said at the Ford plant today he thinks we need another stimulus package and they are gonna be working on it
khaos288
AG
tam2002 said:

Trump said at the Ford plant today he thinks we need another stimulus package and they are gonna be working on it

I hope they wait and see. Seems like re-opening is going well, and cdc releasing the statement on virus communication through surfaces being minimal.

Hate to bail out just to prop up the market.
leoj
AG
tam2002 said:

Going to have a tough time getting that through the senate at this point. Not to mention reconciling with the house. I'm skeptical.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
McInnis 03 said:

....F me, I can't ride that pony again.

...3 whole minutes later...
McInnis 03 said:

aggiedaniel06 said:

For all the gamblers out there, TSLA is about to blow!
I'm low balling an 820/825 credit spread for tomorrow.
Exsurge Domine
Anyone else seeing the falling channel on Rubi and think we are headed back to the 4 level?

[url=https://ibb.co/48ST1kB][/url]
topher06
Thank god we have some deadlock at this point. Seems like everyone just wants to give out unlimited free money these days, and there are culprits on both sides (although each side wants it directed to their pet projects).
ProgN
Exsurge Domine said:

Anyone else seeing the falling channel on Rubi and think we are headed back to the 4 level?

[url=https://ibb.co/48ST1kB][/url]

The 50 dma has been resistance. It's starting to flatten, if RUBI can breakthrough, it could run to at least $6.50 imo.
oldarmy1
AG
AggiePeeps06 said:

Ah makes sense. I only had 4 contract so size is probably too small to trade it that way
You should follow the same principal.

I have $1.67 in Puts X 100 = $16,700 invested.

My 100 calls cost me $1.78 x 100 = $17,800 invested.

Total Calls Plus Puts invested = $34,500

The Puts closed at $2.61 so those are valued at $26,100

The Calls closed at $1.31 or $13,100

Total ending Call + Put = $39,200

So I closed at a net gain of $4,700

HOWEVER - Markets move so when you get a stock at or close to one or the other Puts with 4 days to expiration you don't want to risk losing what you've successfully achieved. So I buy 50% of shares against the Puts. Now take a look at SPY right now. It's trading at $294.93. Guess what that means for your $294 Puts if we open up tomorrow. They'll lose all of your gains plus deterioration factor on premium.

5000 shares purchased x average gain of $0.82 = $4100. Now I also sold a May 22 $294 cover call for $1.64 on those 5000 shares. $164 x 50 covered calls = $8,200

So I just guaranteed $8,200 in gains if SPY closes above $294 tomorrow and those shares will be called out. But what if we close at $293.80 or below? I just earned $8,200 premium. My $294 Puts are in the money. I can write another 50 covered calls on those same 5000 shares earning another $8000+ premium.

Now those are bigger numbers but the principle should be the same. You have 4 options. Even if its 2 calls and 2 Puts. When we got to $294.05 you'd at least buy the stock on one of those. And either 1 covered call on that 100 shares or since smaller i'd have only bought shares. And then when it traded to $294.90+ you can either sell it or wait to see if that buying after hours continues. But you are in a much better leveraged position.

When I'm laying out $34k in options that have a designated lifespan of 5 days you think I'm going to just wait and see if we tank from $294.05 close? Neither should anyone.
BrokeAssAggie
Great post!
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
McInnis 03
AG
Ragoo said:

What is your scan set up?

I'll shoot an image tomorrow from my desk

B&I Key:
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
IrishTxAggie
AG
oldarmy1
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Where is that last mark projected to hit?
oldarmy1
AG
If you are following the ONTX buys under $0.30 and selling 50% above $0.45 then get on it again!!!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Between 3309-3340 before a pullback
BrokeAssAggie
oldarmy1 said:

If you are following the ONTX buys under $0.30 and selling 50% above $0.45 then get on it again!!!

I'm confused. It's trading at 0.44 You want to get in at that price? Or something under 0.30?
AggiePeeps06
AG
Awesome info. Thanks OA! This thread is more educational than a Full semester in options class
First Page Last Page
Page 1587 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.