Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,030,070 Views | 224266 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by sts7049
12thMan86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Carlo4 said:

Prognightmare said:

Good morning fam.

I'm curious, so I'd like to ask y'all a question, since it's the weekend and markets are closed.

What is the single most valuable lesson you've learned in your investing/trading experience? Regardless if you're a newbie or decades long trader/investor.

For me, it was learning to take a loss, when a trade moves against what you thought it would do. This was extremely hard for me at the beginning, but thankfully, it's almost automatic now and has saved me a lot money by not going down with the ship.

Forgive the length... great topic and hoping this helps someone. Definitely new to this but always followed what's been going on since 2008.

My lessons.

1. Educate yourself - no matter the experience level - keep learning. Videos, books, discussions, news, learn by doing. Research where your money is going.

2. Don't be afraid to fail. No ragrets. Not one letter. Life is about learning lessons, and trading falls there for sure. Learn from every trade

3. Emotions and feelings kill you here. It's not personal... it's strictly business.... this is a numbers game. Forget the last loss and focus on the next win. Personally, I think we see a 40% to 70% drop coming in the markets over time. However, I would be broke betting on that to happen. I lost $2,500 before I quit trading on ideas and not what the market tells me... thankfully, I learned on profits.

This also works on falling in love with a stock. My dad sold Apple the other day for $315 or so with an entry average around $110. He thinks it's the best company ever and would do no wrong nor lose money. After selling it this week, I've never seen him happier. He became obsessed with watching it and moved on now to enjoy his profits.

4. Let the market signal when to trade. Do not trade or be in the market just because. Timing is everything. Trend lines, MACD, resistance, blah blah etc.

5. Set limits. Be ok with taking profits and limiting losses, especially in times of volatility.

Lot of good advice there. I sold my aapl on Thursday at 314. Bought at 90. I'll re enter at 250 or less.

I think we are about to start trending down for a while, especially if reopening doesn't go well, Trump and China start ****, foreclosure processes just started, etc. I see more risk to the upside than down side.
Ragoo
AG
12thMan86 said:

Ragoo said:

I think I am only going to buy verticals from here on out. Profit is capped but risk is significantly reduced.

I'll tell you what are fun are SPX verticals that expire the same day. They are lottos but work regularly in this violent market. On Friday I bought the 2850-2855 call vertical for .65 late in the day. It maxed out at 4.65. I've done these for the last month. Hit about 40%. When you can hit 40 percent and make anywhere from 5:1 to 9:1, it works. You have to be right on your direction of course. Theta decay works in your favor big time.

I agree I have started buying more verticals. The key is how far out you buy them.

Good luck!
my thought is that your break even is much lower as well. You only have to be barely right. Buying the call you have to be right and by a good bit to hit the break even point.
McInnis 03
AG
12thMan86 said:

Ragoo said:

I think I am only going to buy verticals from here on out. Profit is capped but risk is significantly reduced.

I'll tell you what are fun are SPX verticals that expire the same day. They are lottos but work regularly in this violent market. On Friday I bought the 2850-2855 call vertical for .65 late in the day. It maxed out at 4.65. I've done these for the last month. Hit about 40%. When you can hit 40 percent and make anywhere from 5:1 to 9:1, it works. You have to be right on your direction of course. Theta decay works in your favor big time.

I agree I have started buying more verticals. The key is how far out you buy them.

Good luck!

I. Love. This.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
leoj
AG
Aggies1322
AG
SIAP - article on CLOs

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/leveraged-loan-news/those-700b-in-us-clos-who-holds-them-what-risk-they-pose
oldarmy1
AG
leoj said:

We'll see if those Friday ROKU calls were well timed.
cisgenderedAggie
McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

Ragoo said:

Good luck!

I. Love. This.

Looking now and seeing that the call and put side are pretty close in price. Apart from just further limiting return, what would be the harm in buying both directions in equal amounts?

Nevermind, looking at Fidelity P/L and see that it's likely a loosing bet any way it plays out.
leoj
AG
So I came across this account. Should be of interest to anyone who plays in the bio space.

cisgenderedAggie
A question on spreads. Do they have to be bought together as a vertical or can they be constructed with individually purchased calls? I have some net free calls and I'm thinking that it would be better to sell the higher call against them then to just hope it expires for a jackpot.

Most notably, this is related to SRNE, but I'm interested in the utility of this for future use too. I have every expectation that there will be sizable volatility between now and December, assuming spikes and falls around publication, Phase 1 initiation, and results. Selling the higher call, then buying it back with plans to sell again later seems like a decent way to extract more cash out of the play, but this seems to be restricted in my Fidelity account. I'm assuming it's viewing this as an attempt to sell a naked call, which is not something I'm really interested in doing. I suppose I'm not following if there is a different risk that I'm not seeing, possibly related to the mechanics of how the assignments would be handled.
leoj
AG
You can definitely turn a single leg call/put into a vertical spread at some point down the line in order to hedge it further. Doesn't have to be created initially at the same time. There are some people I follow that I see do it regularly, but in all honesty spreads aren't something I ever really use to I'll leave discussion on the strategy and real world factors to consider to someone else.
Carlo4
AG
Speaking of CLOs/Big Short moments, wife and I had to go to one of the big malls in DFW this weekend to look for a few things and just wanted to see what's going on there.

Between security and mall walkers and chick fil a visitors, that's really all me and my wife saw. 10% of the stores were open. No one was even going in them. Normally, this place would be packed all day long.

Wife and I were incredibly shocked by it all. Walmart is ok but the mall isn't. None of it makes sense but here we are nearly two months into this. I simply can't imagine the damage done here.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
which one? I drove by Northpark the other day and it was dead.
leoj
AG
So, this seems like it would be incredibly useful

AggiePeeps06
AG
That's a really interesting article. Now we just need a list of CLOs and a way to break down what debt is inside them.
Exsurge Domine
AggiePeeps06 said:

That's a really interesting article. Now we just need a list of CLOs and a way to break down what debt is inside them.

I believe we also need to go interview strippers in Miami
Proposition Joe
What malls were you guys seeing packed before this?

The mega-mall was getting decimated long before COVID, and it certainly doesn't help that many of them are leaning on movie theaters as part of their anchor.
ProgN
Proposition Joe said:

The mega-mall was getting decimated long before COVID, and it certainly doesn't help that many of them are leaning on movie theaters as part of their anchor.
Our local mall sucks. We have a theatre, Dillard's, Xtreme Jump and crappy food. More boarded up stores than open one's, they even lost Kay Jewelers. This was all pre-Covid.
Proposition Joe
Prognightmare said:

Proposition Joe said:

Our local mall sucks. We have a theatre, Dillard's, Xtreme Jump and crappy food. More boarded up stores than open one's, they even lost Kay Jewelers. This was all pre-Covid.

Yup. We had one that expanded by 30% in the mid-90's and was a pretty lively place... It's still has 100% occupancy, but you can very much see the decline in the quality of the tenants. A lot more dollar store type stores, a "glow putt putt" that looked pretty sketchy, etc... The malls were previously packed as a teen hangout AND a shopping destination for adults, but the adults have moved online, so all it's left are the teens that don't really buy anything they are just there to socialize.
Aggies1322
AG
AggiePeeps06 said:

That might be difficult, most CLOs are issued out of the Cayman islands.

Edit- also, I think I read that CLOs are loans for businesses. CMOs are for mortgages. Are those less concerning right now than business loans?
Hendrix
AG
Indoor antiquated malls are absolutely wrecked. Zombie properties many with a higher and better use. Mix use, last mile industrial come to mind. Corona will be the nail in the coffin of so many mall retailers and ultimately the malls they occupy. Only the best of the best will survive. Long AMZN.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

AggiePeeps06 said:

I believe we also need to go interview strippers in Miami

My bachelor party is there in October. I'll do some recon for us. Just need the other research done then we're good to go!
Carlo4
AG
Be sure to ask how many Airbnb's they have
Carlo4
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

which one? I drove by Northpark the other day and it was dead.

That's the one. I know it will survive, but holy cow it was just an absolute shock to see it so empty.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Carlo4 said:

Be sure to ask how many Airbnb's they have

I'll have quite a few questions for them. Full interrogation on my end
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
If northpark is dead, everything else must be really suffering. Then again, people in Arlington and places like that are different.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
OverSeas AG
AG
Exsurge Domine
OverSeas AG said:

My Weekend -

Starting Friday night I got a notebook out and went back to Page 1490 of this thread (Which was May 9th) and have gone through each entry. I actually wrote down each entry that wasn't jabber (No offense to anyone, I contribute to jabber too, but I think that is also part of what makes this threat great!).

FOR ME, being a noob, it has been a long but helpful exercise. It was amazing the topics that were covered in one week of this thread: Technical terms, trade setups, option strategies, charts, lots of discussion on different securities ($SPY, $BJ, $ZEST, $RUBI - in addition to nearly 100 others), as well as references to many helpful articles, videos and twitter feeds. It was also fun to sort of follow the thoughts through-out the week of different securities and see how the opinions change, particularly when going back to look at things on a chart. (Take TWTR for instance, looking at what was being said about TWTR at say 11AM on Monday and looking at the chart at 11AM on Monday for TWTR and SPY.)

Not saying that other need to do this, but if you are a noob, it was extremely useful exercise to me, and answered a lot of questions, but also raised some questions too. I have written down my questions and have been trying to look the up for answers.

A great thread and I appreciate all the contributions and discussions. I am still a rook, but a much more informed one than I was before!

Below are just some of the topics that were discussed on the thread this week either directly or sometimes indirectly via the charts or other items referenced.
Gaps
Pivots
Darvas Box
SMA
EMA
Bollinger Bands
Covered Calls
Naked Calls
Parabolic
Stochastic
Head and Shoulders
Goal Posts
Short squeeze
Ex-dividends
Channel Break
Bearflag patterns
Call Credit Spread
Verticals
VWAP
Hammer/Inverted Hammer

**** dude, I played golf and drank scotch
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Respect, bro. For real.
BB675
AG
My AC is out in the house and two different companies told me it needs to be replaced after my house or something close to my house was struck by lightning. Have a feeling insurance is going to try and stick it to me. With that being said, what is the play tomorrow? Needs to be a quick profit.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Got a Powell pump on the futures.
OverSeas AG
AG
Spaceship
AG
OverSeas AG said:

Exsurge Domine said:

**** dude, I played golf and drank scotch

When I get some chops on some of this stuff like you guys and make a little money I will have some fun! Right now I am in work mode...

Good for you. Go earn it. More people need your work ethic.
Boat Shoes
AG
Question for the experienced traders; how many positions are you in at any given time? Im curious if people are in and out of only a few or holding 10-20+. Thanks!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Depends. Sometimes 10-15. Currently only have 2. I'm actively trading right now and not just playing options flow. I'll put on 3-5 day trades/day of the setups present themselves.
First Page Last Page
Page 1543 of 6408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.